The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
Berserker

Elrond, why?

Ok, I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but in the Fellowship of the Ring, when Gandalf and Elrond are talking at Rivendell, Elrond recalled when he was with Isildur in Mount Doom. He told Isildur to throw it in the fire, but Isildur said , No.

Elrond was more than powerful to stop Isildur, and he knew that if the Ring fell into the wrong hands that it could mean the possible destruction of Middle-Earth. Why did he not stop or at least try to stop Isildur? Did Isildur put on the ring and become invisible to escape? Or was Elrond was unable to hold Isildur back?

Berserk
Old 07-20-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think Elrond knew that a struggle could mean a death, & he was to pure to kill one of his one, even if to save 1000ands of his people later on.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
Berserker

But Elrond was more honorable than that. Like I said, if he didn't die or kill Isildur then, he knew that if Isildur would rise to power, he would have to face him then. Elrond had more than enough legitimate reasons to fight with Isildur, and they were surrounded by lava. He had numerous chances to throw Isildur into the fire, why didn't he?

Elves are infinately more powerful than men. He could have taken him.

Last edited by Berserker; 07-20-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

He probably could have taken him, but Elrond did not know for sure that Isildur would become evil & rise to power. He would not have wished to slay him when there was still a reasonably good chance of Isildur never becoming evil. Besides, Isildur repented of what he had done & was actually on the way to Rivendell to seek council as to what to do with the Ring when he was ambushed, killed, & the Ring was lost (I am 90% sure it was Rivendell ). So that proves right there that Isildur still had plenty of time to hand the Ring over to another, though he might not have chosen to do that.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Berserker

I can udnerstand the repentance part, but Elrond wasn't stupid: he knew that the Ring was made for Sauron alone. I mean, Sauron forged it, bringing all of those who possessed a ring that he previously gave under his power.

I tell you again: Elrond wasn't stupid. Whether it be too much power for man to harness or that it was plainly an amazingly evil artifact, he knew that the Ring was not to be taken out of the doorstep of the Mount Doom in its entirety. He knew that the only way to ensure the safety of Middle-Earth, whether he knew Isildur would rise to power or not, was to talk or force Isildur to cast it into the heart of the volcano.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
to talk or force Isildur to cast it into the heart of the volcano
Which is where the elves natural purity comes in. Anyway, it's a little pointless for just the both of us to continue to post on this thread, so I'm not posting anymoe until somebody else does !

Cheers,
Estel
Old 07-20-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I could be terribly short and nasty and say that a very good reason to explain why Elrond didn't kill Isildur is because then there would be no story. However I realize that isn't the point, and I will express my opinion on the matter.

It seems to me that Elrond didn't kill Isildur because he was honourable. It isn't very honourable to kill a comrade, especially one who has just won a battle through heroic courage in facing an ultimate evil. Honour is defined often as virtue, or nobleness, and it is neither virtuous nor noble to ditch someone into a fire to put an end to all problems. Frankly, it isn't good. Elrond never struck me as one who would really agree to, 'The ends justify the means.' Somehow it seems to me that such an action would defeat the whole purpose... to prevent Sauron murdering by murdering yourself? It doesn't seem to fit. It isn't honourable.
Nurumaiel is offline   Reply With Quote