The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth L: Battle of the Fandoms - Admin Thread

Blood stains the convention center’s walls, and not because they ran out of bumper stickers…

This year’s Omnicon promised much cosplaying, merchandising, and LARPing. A “con” for all types of con-goers, the endless debates could become quite heated. Balrogs and wings, pirates versus ninjas, the gender of the Jedi Exile, Robert Jordan and how many pages it takes him to describe a room, Sephiroth versus *insert name here*, Harry and Hermione, NaruSaku vs. SasuSaku, console versus computer, World of Warcraft versus Lord of the Rings Online…and all of the above versus ‘RL’.

Swords, lightsabers, and shuriken had often been violently gestured with, but no one had yet perished.

Yet.

Rules:

No retractable votes.
First person to reach the greatest number of votes will be lynched.

Game Roles:
3 Werewolves
1 Seer
1 Ranger
1 Cobbler
11 Villagers (or Simple Con-goers, rather)

The Ranger may not protect the same person two Nights in a row, and may not protect him/herself. If the Wolves attack the person the Ranger has chosen to protect, there is no kill for that Night.
The Seer gets to dream every Night, including Night 1.
The Cobbler does not know who the Wolves are, and the Wolves don't know who the Cobbler is.

Narrative/’For fun’ Roles:
Please pick a fandom of which you will be a rabid fan. Lord of the Rings/All things Tolkien, Harry Potter, any anime, video game or computer addict (whether of a specific game or not), etc. Whatever you come up with. (And yes, of course we can have multiple fans of one thing. In fact that would be best.) You could even be a BD fan/addict! You might also wish to specify what type of fan you are, such as movie vs. books, a purist, a fan-fiction writer, etc…

About the Deadline:

1:00 pm EST (5:00 pm GMT, I think) Downs time. This post is time-stamped at 12:18 pm EST, if that helps with figuring.

About the start date:

Wednesday, September 10th, starting with a Night phase.

~Registered Attendees~

Rikae - Stalker of the preciousss Andy Serkis
Nerwen - Jedi Master, specializing in memorabilia collecting and movie quoting
Feanor of the Peredhil - Rabid Cosmo fan and TOS-TNG Trekkie with opinions
Boromir88 - Fireworks Pyro and Sean Bean's #1 fan
Nilpaurion Felagund - Noldo with a zanpakutou named Telpelin and the Mangekyou Sharingan
Nogrod - "Spore" anticipator who wants to play Eru
Gwathagor - Academian lost among lunatics and pop culture
satansaloser2005 - "Doctor Who" Luuuver
McCaber - Old School RPer
Shastanis Althreduin - Rabid Hermione Fan-wizard
Brinniel - 'Reality' TV Fan
Mithalwen - Confused hardcore Tolkienista who thought she was going to Oxonmoot
Isabellkya - Rabid fan of Vampire Princess Miyu
Lalwendë - "In The Night Garden" Fan-mother
Kath - Pro-Harry/Hermione Fan-witch
CaptainofDespair - Cluny the Scourge cosplayer out to make the con "Cluny's Con"
Macalaure - "Civilization" fan with Machiavellian tendencies

(P.S. - We're really at WW 50, right?)

Last edited by Durelin; 09-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm in.

And I would like to be a rabid fan of Cosmopolitan Magazine. With a minor in Star Trek; Kirk and Picard are the only real captains, Data is fair game for fan-fics, Tribbles are a serious issue, Will Riker makes beards look good, and Spock obviously must have been based on Immanuel Kant.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, if the game begins at the 25th of September at earliest... then I'm in.
Before that I have absolutely no time for WW.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aww. Well, I have no reason to totally rule out the possibility of it starting that late.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm in...number 50? It seems not so long ago when I just played my first game!

9 would work the best, but 12 or 1 work out fine too, as far as the deadline

Edit: first I said I wanted to be obsessed with Fireworks, but now I'm thinking the #1 Sean Bean fanboy... Someone want to help me decide?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yay, Boro!

You can always be both.

So glad to have you, Fea and Boro!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
You can always be both.
ooh, both is good.

Wait a sec...Fea's in this village? Umm...something suddenly came up.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Ooh!

Let's see, I'll be a Noldo with a zanpakutou and the Mangekyou Sharingan.

(My zanpakutou's name is Telpelin, its bankai is Lindalë Telpesúlion.)
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
HaHaa. I'm definitely in.

I could be a Spore anticipator with dreams of finally getting to be Eru.

(And I really need to stay as an anticipator as even if the Spore will be released tomorrow in Finland I will not be buying it as my PC is just too old to handle it... )

1:00 (eg. 5PM GMT) looks like an ok. deadline to me.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I may as well play as not.

And I'm not a fan at all. Of anything. I ended up trapped in this lunatic convention as the result of a series of wrong flights, deaf taxi drivers, and brochure misprints. My wife is going to kill me, and the department head isn't going to be happy either when he finds out where I was when I should have been at the history conference in Oslo.

1:00 EST isn't a great DL for me. However, if Hannibal can cross the Alps, then I can endure a lousy DL. Humans can adapt to anything in time.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 09-03-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

There's no backing out now, Boro!

Yay, Nilp!

I just realized there's a little problem with my deadline deciding... I want to go with the 'Downs time, because that seems to work fairly well anyway, but of course Downs time is a good bit slower than my clock, so I'm going to need to make the deadline more like 12:30 Downs time (or even 12:00 Downs time). I hope that's not too early.

Or, you know what, I can do something like 5:00 pm EST. Why not.

So 12:30 or 5:00 pm EST - anyone who happens to have a preference just let me know. If you don't care, cool.

Oh I'm so good at making things complicated.

Edit: Cross-posting on the admin thread, how sad...

Yay! Welcome Nog and Gwath! Many lolz at both your roles.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
5:00 pm EST is great.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

, Durelin!

12:30EST is 01:30 local, 17:00EST is 6:00 local, so the latter is marginally better.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
All right... if the game starts about on the 19th the earliest, I am fine to play. I have to think of the occupation yet, because although a hardcore OroHina supporter just offers itself, I think there are some things which are just too much. Even if combined with the fact that I'd be scheduled to have a lecture proving their connection to the mysterious Ninth passenger of Nostromo.

Hmm... although... maybe: "why not". But, I will think about it yet (in any case, I won't be a LotR movie hater - that's just too "normal" for me. )

P.S. Could please somebody be so kind to "translate" the DL into GMT for me...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Boots Conversion:

12:30EST = 7:30GMT

17:00EST = 12:00GMT

I think.

So, wait, my conversion to local was incorrect, 12:30EST is 23:30 local, 17:00EST is 4:00 local, so the former is actually much better.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*pounces*

No way I'm missing ANOTHER game. And this looks awesome!

*will return later with further details, but is rushing out the door*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Glad to have you, sally! And I hope you might be able to play Legate, guess we'll have to see.

Alright, to make timezone figuring a little easier maybe... The time when I posted this is: 8:04 pm EST 'Downs time.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
So, I'm in. It's been a while for me and I want some werewolf action.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm attending, as a rabid Hermione fanboy.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #20
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I will be an obsessive Star Wars fan, and hence Fea's mortal enemy. I have a vast collection of memorabilia, speak largely in quotations from the films (meaning all I have to do is copy my brother) and list "Jedi" as my religion in the national census.

~Jedi Master N'Rwen.

(Oh, and Gwath's idea is hilarious.)
Old 09-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #21
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Wow! Mr. McCobbler is attending the show!

...hey, I can tell you, I've been so long without WW that I really start to feel some of these "abstinence syndroms" on me
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:06 AM   #22
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Count me in.

Though can I request that we start earlier than later once we have enough people? I've just feel like the transition from game to game has been a bit slow lately (3 games in 4 months) and I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to lose momentum if I wait too long. Plus, I'm more likely to have less homework earlier which means more time for me to play.

I have too many ideas for a fandom right now. It's so hard to choose....so I'll have to get back to you on that one..
Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I will be an obsessive Star Wars fan, and hence Fea's mortal enemy.
Oh c'mon, we all know that in a showdown between Starfleet and Palpatine's ineffective little drones, Starfleet has at least three aces in the hole: 1) Kirk could always just seduce Palpatine, and 2) Should that fail, the Picard Maneuver can solve most of the world's problems, and 3) When in doubt, slingshot around the sun and bring back a humpback whale.

Edit: And...

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 09-04-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #24
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
5pm is much better for me, since I won't be at work at the DL.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #25
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Awesome, welcome aboard Shasta and Brinn!

Up to 11 (13 if we wait, but then we might lose people, and really if we get started we might be done and the next game might be starting when Aganzir and Legate are able to play, so hey)... I'd like to get about 15 at least, but...

We'll probably start in just a few days - maybe Monday?

And it looks like the deadline will be 5 pm EST unless there are many complaints.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If it starts quickly I would like to play - I am probably starting evening classes (serious ones for a professional qualification, not something fun alas) in about 3 weeks time so ....

5pm GMT is 6 BST? which woudl be great. However if you go for the other one it might make Mr Nogrod get over his megalomania and vote in good time

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #27
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Well, if the game begins at the 25th of September at earliest... then I'm in.
The same goes for me.
This looks really interesting, but I won't die if I can't play... Maybe it's time to learn to give school the priority...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think I better be a hard core Tolkienista since really know enough about anything else

Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #29
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The preciousss will be at Omnicon, right? I am an Andy Serkis fangirl/stalker.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #30
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I'm sad we can't have you, Lommy, Agan, and Legate, but we'll probably start quite soon. I'm thinking Monday-ish...

Hrmm, who to please with the deadline... Does anyone have a major objection to either one, or is it all just preference?

Yay, Mith!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Hrmm, who to please with the deadline... Does anyone have a major objection to either one, or is it all just preference?
Just be understanding that I'm in class from 3:30-5 four days a week, so I'll need to vote early.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #32
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post

It depends on what you mean by 'major objection'. I'm busy during the earlier DL and available during the later one, so later is much better. However, I can make the earlier one work by voting super early every Day. I've done it before. It's just irksome when you get attacked just prior to DL and you're not around to defend yourself. That's what happened to me last game, actually.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #33
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Idea!

I'll see if I can't get Izzy to play.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #34
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shasta only pokes me when more people are needed - never when signups begin. So I miss out on some games. naughty!!

I suppose I am a rabid fan of Vampire Princess Miyu.
oh yes, I think that would work quite nicely. xD
Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #35
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mmmm, this is tempting, I've not had a go in a while.....
Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well the 5pmGMT works best for me by a long chalk since it means I could potentially contribute at the beginning and end of days and a little in between as opposed to one short and one long session in the middle. However it isn't a deal breaker. I'll play regardless as long as we play soonish .

Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #37
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Come join in the fun Lal.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #38
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Lalwendë, Izzy, Mith... well, well. This is looking good indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
However if you go for the other one it might make Mr Nogrod get over his megalomania and vote in good time
Thanks! That was just what I needed to introduce (once again) my message of me trying to do some work (RL) also while playing eg. not posting in a flood-kind-of-a-way all the time...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #39
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

So good to see you, Izzy!

And come play, Lal! Pleeeaaase?

I'll make up my mind about the deadline tomorrow. If everyone who hasn't given me a silly role could do so soon that would be awesome.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #40
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellkya View Post
Shasta only pokes me when more people are needed - never when signups begin. So I miss out on some games. naughty!!

I suppose I am a rabid fan of Vampire Princess Miyu.
oh yes, I think that would work quite nicely. xD
Pffff! You know I love you.