The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #361
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA WOOOOOOOO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Oh Noggie you are my hero... for a moment you had me thinking you an ordo and all

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you....

Celuien's cobbler

And kudos to those of you who gessed it.

Alas, my play last day was not desperation, but rather me in a hurry with a crazy theory, as it'd be expected from me.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #362
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Can we post here now Durelin? Or do you want us to wait for your narration?
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #363
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, sorry! Yes, yes, post away. I'll get the narration up sometime soon (I'll just edit it in)...though possibly not until tomorrow.

Now, start the gloating and a new kind of accusations.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #364
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Who dunnit?

Nogrod...

I thank you.

Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #365
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

By the way, let's see if my guess was right

Nogrod as Lalwende's cobbler?

Edit: Guess it was Cailin instead.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #366
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby
killing me gives us nothing
Says who?
stupid me, I forgot it gives you the game -at myself

Farael was Celuien's cobbler
the other wolf and cobbler?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #367
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, that was impressive. I certainly didn't guess it.

Of course, if there had just been more time, Cai might have been caught! What on earth were you villagers thinking with that quadruple lynch?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #368
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Mwhahahahahaha.

Farael, Noggie and Cailin, that was amazing to watch toDance.

Great game, everyone.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #369
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Considering who was evil, I was disadvantaged from the start, what with that oath and all...

Very well-played.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #370
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
Nogrod...

I thank you.

At your service milady!

What fun!

And thanks Farael, your help was vital!!!

I was eating my nails as I waited you to do it!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #371
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eomer, I thought Farael was YOUR cobbler, when I looked back at all that cobbler theory early on.
I seem to be a popular target for wolves lately.
in the future, I will try to make myself more suspicious!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #372
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

I knew Mac was innocent!!! And I've been suspecting Cailin from days ago!

Darn. I shall not attempt to be logical next time, but go with my feelings instead!

I did enjoy that. Now I know what you've all been raving about and it's good! Cheers all!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #373
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
At your service milady!

What fun!

And thanks Farael, your help was vital!!!

I was eating my nails as I waited you to do it!
I know, I just wanted to time it properly because Holby was around and I wasn't sure about Cailin.

My friend, if we had known each other's identities and been allowed to plot together, I don't think we could've done any better than what we did... excelent game!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #374
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Farael, you scoundrel, suspecting poor old me!

Hey, I was the last villager?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #375
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I hate you

Actually, I hate myself for liking you both.
I can't believe it's over. I think dying after one is dead is not good for the soul.
Should've known something was up when Nogrod retracted but didn't vote me.

Lalwende, what happened? I'm not complaining, after all I wasn't there at all 3rd dance but how come you didn't vote?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #376
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Edit: Guess it was Cailin instead.
You sound almost disappointed to hear it, Farael. Perhaps because I had you all figured out and still went after you? I am sure you understand my reasons.

Yes, Lalwende, I was very worried about your suspicions, but thankfully, you never acted on your gut feeling. I have often found instincts get you further in this game than logic, but this might because logic confuses me in general.

Eomer, I am truly sorry.

I will confess that I suspected Macalaure to be my cobbler, because of something Celuien pointed out when she was still alive to aid me, until he got Eomer of the Rohirrim lynched, who indeed would have been at a terrible disadvantage because of certain promises. After that, I thought (and hoped) it was either Nogrod or Holbytlass.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #377
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Cailin and Eomer - I pitted you two against each other on purpose. I'm sorry, I really didn't think Eomer would stay perfectly 'loyal' till the end...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #378
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
You sound almost disappointed to hear it, Farael. Perhaps because I had you all figured out and still went after you? I am sure you understand my reasons.
Disappointed? no, not at all!! and why would I mind you going after me? it's the right thing to do, same as why I argued with Nogrod and yet never trully went after him!!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #379
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Congratulations!!

I was hoping the wolves would win, there seems to have been alot of village wins lately. Up until I got my role as ordo and then, well, you know...things change.

Now Farael, I have double the greivences against you and should've went after you in the beginning but I, as a gentle jester, let bygones be bygones but no more!! I also was caught up in the whole plan of doing something about quiet ones. Weird since I am a quiet one-notoriously.

I hope to see the wolves' nightly strategies. And also any tidbits from the cobblers. Well, played.

Durelin, Captain, great modding! Can't wait to see the end deaths.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #380
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I will confess that I suspected Macalaure to be my cobbler, because of something Celuien pointed out when she was still alive to aid me, until he got Eomer of the Rohirrim lynched, who indeed would have been at a terrible disadvantage because of certain promises. After that, I thought (and hoped) it was either Nogrod or Holbytlass.
I was afraid of you believing Mac to be your cobbler when I came back for the last hours... And all the hints I threw at you!!!

But all's well that ends well!

And thank's Farael again! If we had been sure about each other we would have not played this well!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #381
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass

Lalwende, what happened? I'm not complaining, after all I wasn't there at all 3rd dance but how come you didn't vote?
I know. You can squarely blame Disney Corp for this. I had just chucked an M&S quiche in the oven in the midst of receiving my shopping delivery and intended to eat and then put me vote up officially, but multi-tasking failed as that High School Musical came on the telly and I was transfixed by the cheesiness. Don't think I'd have made a difference anyway.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #382
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

By the way, I'd like to commend Durelin on an excelent game idea!! Two cobblers sure added to the fun of the game and I'm not saying that 'cos I was one of the two.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #383
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I was really surprised that no one suggested Mac was Cailin's cobbler. There was definitely something in his first post that had me thinking he was trying to signal her, especially since they were so similar during the first dance.
Quote:
A lighthearted and soothing voice the mime then perceived and turning to its source he saw Cailín, a robin, singing a song that would put Middle-earth's greatest nightingales to shame. Delighted and with new strength of heart he continued the last stops of his inquiry.
Everyone else caused some sort of negative reaction when came to say hello.

Alas! I'd have liked to stay around for more than one night. My debut as a wolf was short lived. That Mormegil... I still haven't quite figured out how I went from not really being suspected by most of the dancers to being lynched.

By the way, I was telling the absolute truth about Kitanna when I posted my analysis.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #384
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Oh. I'd originally written our pick of Kitanna into nine lines of blank verse, but it was lost in the Downs PM system so no one got to see it. I'll try to reconstruct it later.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #385
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Thumbs up

Quote:
What on earth were you villagers thinking with that quadruple lynch?
We were thinking, "hey wouldn't it be nice to get into some kind of werewolf history book?!"
Seriously though, I have no idea Rikae! I was literally going crazy as I watched what was happening.

To the cobblers...well done both of you. I had some suspicions about the two of you, but having a theory in ones head is alot easier than taking that theory and typing it into sensible chatter(see, I may have done that right here)

To the wolves....... hehe

To all the rest of the Dancers...masks off to you all.

To Durelin and CoD....great game! I absolutely loved it!!!!

Last edited by Naria; 12-29-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #386
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So... baddies won? Dang. I have never been so disappointed in a game's finish. I feel possitively crushed and...defeated.

I have to say, it was fantastically played. All of you evil ones. Sheesh. Farael, I disliked you from the very beginning and now I know why. I really did suspect you. Nogrod, excellent job. You acted so your normal self - and managed to keep the highlight off the bad ones!! You really had me spooked when they brought your whole case against me that second dance or so...

Cailin, great job as a wolf. I only had a glimmer of a doubt after I was dead, and then it was too late. I'd say you were lucky.

Celuien, your cowgirl character was too cute. I didn't think you could possibly be one and when you turned out to be one, I was almost as surprised as I was when I (finally) figured out that four people were lynched that dance that I was gone the whole day of. Oh, heaven that I had been there at least for voting!

Speaking of - what induced you guys to do that??

Good job, everyone. I congratulate the evil ones for their win.

-- Foley
Old 12-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #387
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I've been following this since death and all I can say is kudos to the winning baddies! I'm not sure so many have ever survived by the end.

But to that quadruple lynch! Masterfully orchestrated but doomed to end in failure. Still, it'll certainly go down in the record books, even if Durelin was laughing her head off as she read it! Speaking of which, great modding Durelin and CoD.

Don't know about anyone else, but this has seriously renewed my interest in werewolf, bring on the next game!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM   #388
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Thank you everyone for playing, and making this an awesome game!

I had way too much fun modding this.

I'm really glad everyone had fun (well, I hope everyone did), and I hope to see you guys in another game soon.

Personally, I don't think I would have had nearly as much fun if you guys hadn't pulled the quadruple lynch. That was just amazing.

I think the awesomeness of the villagers and the baddies evens out, personally...even if some of what made you villagers awesome was also part of your downfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Oh. I'd originally written our pick of Kitanna into nine lines of blank verse, but it was lost in the Downs PM system so no one got to see it. I'll try to reconstruct it later.
Oh no! Has that really been lost? And it's my fault!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #389
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Durelin, it was a great setup for mayhem! Awesome game. Reading over the posts now, I'm kicking myself because the wolf/cobbler hints seem so obvious ... hindsight's 20/20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Don't know about anyone else, but this has seriously renewed my interest in werewolf, bring on the next game!
I second that!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #390
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So, so... Nogrod was a cobbler...

For some reason this completely fails to surprise me.

It drove me utterly crazy. I felt you were a cobbler since the first day, but I just kept suspecting you because I wanted to back it up with some solid reason.

(Note to self: Never try to bring Nogrod down with reason. It's - just - not - possible.)

Excellent work though. I still can't believe so many people were convinced of your innocence.

Do you want to know what made me so certain about Celuien?

It was Kitanna's death. She died in the first night in the last game I was in, too. *washes hands in innocence - mwahaha* I couldn't believe anybody would be so cruel as to do it again after so short time, so I looked for people who did not play in that game and therefore probably didn't know. Out of those, Celuien and, well, Eomer looked most guilty to me.
Then I obviously must have forgotten my plan in the hectic of yesterday and voted Holby instead of Cailín...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
By the way, I was telling the absolute truth about Kitanna when I posted my analysis.
Still this analysis was extremely suspicious to me. You told the truth, but the truth was basically that there was nothing to be told. It was looking helpful without being helpful at a very high level.

Before I forget: Excellent game, Cailín. Did you really think I was your cobbler? When I wrote my first post, I more or less ran out of possible suspicious reactions after a time. That was the only reason why yours was so positive.

PS: I received an unsigned rep for the game (emphasizing my instincts on Celuien). Not that I would mind, but I'm reeally curious right now.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:21 AM   #391
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
PS: I received an unsigned rep for the game (emphasizing my instincts on Celuien). Not that I would mind, but I'm reeally curious right now.
Ooops!

~Rikae

Last edited by Rikae; 12-30-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #392
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Oh no! Has that really been lost? And it's my fault!
Well, I should have remembered to save a copy. Cailin's box also turned out to be full at the time, so I don't have it.

It went something like this:

Why do the blameless fear the starless night?
'Tis under shield of dark when curséd deeds
Are done. There are no prying eyes to see
The guilty wolves attack, and nighttime shields
Their horrid plots. And so tonight 'tis doomed
That fair Kitanna, hapless maid, shall fall.
In darkness she shal dwell forever more
And to the shadows sing her tale of woe.

That's not quite it, but it was similar. Anyway, it's a line shorter, which considering the quality of my poetry is probably a good thing.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM   #393
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Tricksy, black-hearted moderating.

I'm somewhat glad it didn't come down to the oath, which would possibly have been far more glaring had there been a Seer. Even in the face of irrefutable evidence I was not to vote for her. Can you imagine the village being defeated in that way? You would all have flown to Scotland to tear me limb from limb!

So yes, Durelin, I am completely loyal.

Incidentally, I still think the quad-lynch was a fair option. Had I spoiled it at the end I might have been lynched the next day anyway (for daring to survive). We would most likely have lynched Valier and Naria and possibly Mormegil in the days after.

Benefits? It gets all those suspicious characters out of the way in one go, affording the wolf one subsequent nightly kill instead of four. It is an extra few deaths selected by the village, not the wolf.

Cons? Less voting record to mull over. Instant shock to the village system if it goes wrong (which it did).

While it was great fun, this game brought up the old double-lynching debate. I think the game is more fun when the village loses 1 person a day and 1 at night. What's to stop us discovering a known innocent and then arranging a mass lynch of everyone else to ensure victory? The game loses so much. That's exactly why Anguirel's first 'Heroes' game ended disappointingly. The village (island?) was able to double-lynch its way to victory without experiencing all the treachery, deceit, manipulation and fun that Werewolf deserves.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: double-lynchings, in general, detract from the game.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #394
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I've said it before and I'll say it again: double-lynchings, in general, detract from the game.
Thanks for voicing your opinion. I'll remember that for my game... And if I allow double lynching, it will be two at most.

-- Foley
Old 12-31-2006, 03:42 AM   #395
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

I was actually kept awake last night by worrying about how inappropriate my last post was. Especially considering the drama the mass lynching caused. I think the point was that, when we're not allowed to play the numbers game or focus on statistics, the village discussion is more focused on the individual characters themselves.

Say, it was really a bit lazy of us 4 to just kill ourselves without having to make a choice between us.

But obviously I sounded a bit negative when there was the fun of the mass lynching, as well as the skill of the cobbler in utilising the double-lynching to seal the victory.

Meh.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #396
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yes...well...the thing with double lynching is that I just enjoy a good slaughter.

Oh, and the two Cobblers idea was actually all CaptainofDespair's, so don't give me credit.

And sorry that the narration still isn't up. Both my parents got sick (which adds a little more insanity to my life), and I've been feeling under the weather as well... At least know that I shall be working on the narration before I work on my essay that's due Wednesday, for certain.

Thanks again everyone for making this such an awesome game!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #397
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Final narration, essentially in two parts, is finally up.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #398
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Great one, Durelin! I really appreciated how you caught the proceedings!

And as I think I haven't have the time or the opportunity to say this out aloud yet, so a couple of special thanks to follow just to make the cases...

Macalaure: You're just phenomenal with your instincts and reasons! Great gaming here. After the quadruple lynch you were the one I was most afraid of. Hopefully we're at the same side in the next one.

Folwren: I "knew" you to be innocent, you looked so much that! So sorry again my campaign on you but it was proved worthwhile drawing attention to the places we needed the attention to be drawn...

Farael: My friend in villany! Just an outstanding performance! And you didn't let me down on those last minutes but made our victory possible with your vote on Holby! I'm going to trust you a lot more in the following games just for the memory of this great swindle!

Cailín: Even though my "hints" didn't seem to reach you, you were playing beautifully on the thin line between being inactive and steering the votes to directions we needed to accomplish this. Outstanding, I would say!

Lalwendë: Good instincts and points for a first game! I really would like to see you on further ones!

And kudos to you all fellows in this! This was one of the most unforgettable ones I've ever played!

Hooray!