The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXVII: Ballroom Blitz

The Barrows were topped with white and the breath of those who were still breathing, before the Wights got to them, shown as wisps of spirit in the air. Winter had come, and the new year was creeping up on them (it was already well into what they call now in the 7th Age "December," and they celebrate their new year on the first day of the very next "month."). The Wights enjoyed those pale months, as the night came seemingly much more quickly, and lasted longer. For in such darkness they felt most at home. So needless to say, they had much to celebrate.

One night, one Wight sat up almost into the morning - something which any Wight might regret seeing - to produce what she hoped might bring some always-desirable food, drink, and mirth. The next night, the invitations went out to nearly every carcass on the 'Downs. They read:

Quote:
All residents of the Barrow are cordially invited to the Black and Wight Ball.

Black and Wight attire is recommended. Masks are required.

RSVP as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Your Woman-of-the-Secret-Shadow of a hostess,
Thuringwethil (Durelin)
The invitations were acknowledged with pleasure (or displeasure, and possibly went unacknowledged) and responses were (or weren't) sent out. Fifteen souls promised their attendance, and a sprinkling of others made a good show of regretting their inability to attend. (Even the dead, especially those doomed to roam their Barrows, retain their fair share of propriety. And let it be known that every Wight at one time had superb manners from excellent breeding, but after a few plus centuries of rotting some things just fall off the bone along with the skin.)

When propriety is set aside (put away...*snicker*...put under...*chuckle*...done in...*giggle*...rubbed out...*snigger*...buried away...*roars*...), the result is often a rousing good time. For regardless of what one might assume, the dreary dead are not always so dreary, even if their "dark," "black," and "dark black" colour coordination grows stale rather quickly. And so the attendees expected they would have a night to remember. What they did not expect was a time they could never forget.

Last edited by Durelin; 07-18-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXVII: Ballroom Blitz

About the Game:

Days = Dances
24 hours RL time = 1 Day = 1 Dance
Nights = Rests
24 hours RL time = 1 Night = 1 Rest

The band will play on, regardless of whether or not the villagers wish to dance or to lynch. When the music is not being played, well, someone will not be able to find a seat, and the wolves will find him or her easy pickings. In this case, being without a partner is more than simply socially unacceptable.

In place of the usual pretend ‘roles,’ you may choose who/what you are going to the ball as.

(All of this dancing nonsense is just for fun. You may call Days and Nights simply Days and Nights, and you may think of the village in normal terms. Playing along with the ball setting is optional.)

Among your partners you will find:
11 Ordinary Villagers
2 Werewolves
2 Cobblers, each with the knowledge of one Werewolf

About the Cobbler:

A Cobbler is a villager who is such a sorry soul that he/she wishes to bring about not only their own death, but also the deaths of...well, everyone else! They are an innocent, ordinary villager, but one who wishes the Werewolves to win. Normally, the Cobbler does not know the identity of any of the wolves, but still must try and help them win somehow.

In this game, there will be two Cobbers, and each Cobbler knows the identity of one of the two Werewolves (each Cobblers knows a different werewolf). Neither Cobbler knows who the other is, and the Werewolves are completely in the dark as to who the Cobblers are.

Rules:

1. Double-lynchings are allowed.
2. Retractable votes are allowed.
3. The Werewolves work together, and converse each Night, including Night 1. They choose one kill each Night, excepting Night 1.
4. Both Cobblers want the Werewolves to win. One Cobbler knows who one Werewolf is, the other Cobbler knows who the other Werewolf is. The Cobblers do not know who each other are.
5. The Werewolves do not know who the Cobblers are at all.
6. Let's try no editing!
7. Keep the severity level down.

~*~*Guest List*~*~

Durelin as Thuringwethil (Mod and Hostess)
CaptainofDespair as The Witch-King (Co-mod and Host)
mormegil as a (Kewl-Shades) Rude Boy
Kath as a (Beautiful) Butterfly
Farael as a Fair-looking Orc
Rikae as an Entwife
Nogrod as a Nice Choirboy
Lalwende as a (Mischievous Little) Christmas Elf
Kitanna as a Rejected Band Member wearing a bag with eyeholes
Naria as a Spoiled Heiress wearing a Venetian half mask
Macalaure as a Mime
Celuien as a Cowgirl
Valier as a Flighty Young Woman wearing an exotic colourful bird mask
Eomer as Vorgram, Ancient Prince of Wargs
Cailín as a Robin
Holbytlass as a Court Jester
Folwren as an Elegant, Cold, Stoic, Mysterious Countess

The game will begin with a Night in which the Werewolves may communicate, but do not pick a kill. Night 1 will begin shortly at 2:00 pm EST, today, Monday the 18th. Day 1 will begin 24 hours from then at 2:00 pm EST on Tuesday the 19th. Days and Nights will continue to rotate in 24 hour cycles. The Werewolves may not communicate during the Day. No one other than the Werewolves may communicate (about the game) period.

Remember to turn yourselves invisible and stay invisible!

Last edited by Durelin; 12-21-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Night 1 has now begun. Werewolves, you may begin PMing and plotting thus verily and verily thus.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

The Eye Rest (Night) the First

The ball was proceeding nicely, with fifteen Wights in attendance along with their Hostess and Host, Thuringwethil and the Witch-King, who formed an awkward pair, her wings and his hollow nature making dancing difficult and conversation nearly impossible. They’re a lot different than they sounded online, each thought of the other. The two had found each other on mordortrimony.com, and matching on a whole seventeen dimensions (including fashion tastes, interest in dead things, and the ‘Sauron loyalty meter’), they of course believed each other to be their perfect life companion. Apparently, though, neither made the best date.

Both running out of excuses for not dancing with their companion, Thuringwethil and the Witch-King called for a pause in the music. Everyone seemed to be glad of this, tired of being on their feet, and a number of them took seats at the tables scattered about the room, nibbling and sipping as they chatted.

Whirrrrrrrrr....

mormegil was “doing the lean” in the corner while doing his best to look disinterested even as Kath walked by in her striking costume. (Her wings far out-did Thuringwethil’s, particularly in glitter.)

Farael was reminding everyone at his table how they could keep a slim figure like his, causing Valier to eye her hor’dourves suddenly distastefully.

Celuien was showing Macalaure some moves he could do with his invisible rope.

Holbytlass was attempting to cheer up a rejected and dejected Kitanna with her juggling and jingling.

Whirrrrrrrrr....

Lalwendë was giving Nogrod a candy cane for being sweet.

Naria and Folwren were turning up their noses at the proceedings, and at each other’s company.

Eomer was trying very hard not to look too fearsome as Cailín considered taking a seat near him.

Rikae was still making her way through the door.

Click.

A few began to wonder if the whirring noise they heard was all in their heads when suddenly all eyes were drawn toward the ceiling. Two lights appeared, swaying above their heads. The chandelier, holding thirteen candles, had been left unlit, but now bright orange flames glowed on two wicks. Eyes darted around, until Valier let out a screech. Gasps and screams filled the room. They had found the source of what they believed to be their imagination.

It was a large contraption, with a long, thick tube and humongous bag of some sort of rough material attached to metallic machinery. But though the metal was shiny, everyone’s eyes were glued to the bag. It was covered in lumps, as from things trying to poke out of it, and very little of the bag’s original colour could be seen: the rest was a deep, sickly red.

Those who had the stomach to look more closely noticed that a couple things had poked through the thick material: a sharp, curved claw, and a heavy, dark metal spike. A bat wing and a dark crown that belonged to none other than their hostess and host, Durelin and CaptainofDespair.

All but two of the guests looked up to the twin flames and then bowed their heads in respect.

On even closer inspection, a note was found pasted on the mechanism:

Quote:
BUSTED!

-The Barrow-Wolves
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dead Dead

Durelin (Mod and Hostess) – Ghostbusted on Rest (Night) the First
CaptainofDespair (Co-mod and Host) – Ghostbusted on Rest (Night) the First

The Living Dead

mormegil as a (Kewl-Shades) Rude Boy
Kath as a (Beautiful) Butterfly
Farael as a Fair-looking Orc
Rikae as an Entwife
Nogrod as a Nice Choirboy
Lalwendë as a (Mischievous Little) Christmas Elf
Kitanna as a Rejected Band Member wearing a bag with eyeholes
Naria as a Spoiled Heiress wearing a Venetian half mask
Macalaure as a Mime
Celuien as a Cowgirl
Valier as a Flighty Young Woman wearing an exotic colourful bird mask
Eomer of the Rohirrim as Vorgram, Ancient Prince of Wargs
Cailín as a Robin
Holbytlass as a Court Jester
Folwren as an Elegant, Cold, Stoic, Mysterious Countess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin
“[E]ven the dead will not be safe from the enemy if he wins. And the enemy has not ceased to be victorious.”

DANCE 1 (DAY 1) HAS NOW BEGUN. Guests, talk. Werewolves, shush.

*Note that the Ghostbusters-style death is thanks to the Captain's genius.*

Last edited by Durelin; 12-21-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well! What a party this has turned out to be! I know we were promised excitement but really, death? Not exactly a fun surprise, especially not for our esteemed hosts. Let's hope we catch these dastardly villains before they cause any more bloodshed. We know they walk among us, and there is quite an array of characters to choose from!

That Kitanna, for example, rejection can be a powerful motivator. Or maybe Farael. He might be fair-looking but an orc is still an orc. Then again it could be mormegil. Trying to appear "kewl" is no excuse for being rude. Why, he barely said three words to me earlier, though I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be particularly verbose later on.

Now back to the dance! We'll not find anything out if we just stand here staring, but watching the choice of partners may be very interesting.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Maybe we should just stick our bottoms to these chairs even though the band has started playing again? Let's see if anyone comes to rip one chair off from under someone openly as the orchestra ends playing?

I'm afraid this will be a game where we need some stamina. I mean that with no seer or ranger we can't count on them to save us this time. So we will be forced to rely in the beginning more to lucky choises or outright blunders by the cobblers and/or the wolves. Without them this will take it's time and many of us will meet our makers before we get any trails.

So let's talk friends, even if of nothing else than how to play on this first actual dance.

Thank's for the candy Lal, would you care for a dance?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tempted as I am by your suggestion just to instigate group cheating and sit on the chair all night (as I am a naughty/nice Elf), Nogrod, I shall indeed dance.

Now I'm used to watching out for people and if they have been naughty or nice all year, it's part of my job working for Father Christmas and I have my suspicions. Being naughty is not so easy to hide. I have my eyes open...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Or maybe Farael. He might be fair-looking but an orc is still an orc.
Oh, please... spare me the drama, 'tis always us Uruks who have to solve the troubles when other people mess up... alright, so there are a few werewolves around, let us Uruks find them and kill them, as we always have to do.

*Grumbles something about lazy-bum high-class spoiled little Gödzhil (orkish for some nasty bad word, that's for sure)*

So, we have werewolves here... howcome I'm suspected and not Eomer (let me spell it out for you here) the Prince of Wargs ?

I say warg=wolf, prince=special, special wolf= werewolf!!!!!

It's rather simple if you ask me. Will you all let me play a little before we kill him? I've heard that werewolves give good game, surely you would let me enjoy it, right?

After all, torturing a werewolf is said to be one of the best three workouts possible, right after running away from an angry Sauron and destroying the One Ring by walking pretty much all the way from The Shire to Mt. Doom.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
DANCE 1 (DAY 1) HAS NOW BEGUN. Guests, talk. Werewolves, shush.
Why, silly me... our dearly departed hostess has made it rather easy for us!! "Werewolves, shush"... we only need to see who is being silent and lynch him/her!!!

Thank you Durelin, I shall torture your killers twice as painfully as a gift to you. IF being tortured by someone so much more beautiful than them, like me is not torture enough.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Dancing and eating and talking
the ball was fash'nably hopping
when whirs and clicks made them stop
and a ghastly sight made eyes pop
most bowed their heads for the dead
but two couldn't wait to be fed
some will start acussing
others will start their musing
one said aloud to be more heard
"Will the Fenris wolf step forward?"
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby
one said aloud to be more heard
"Will the Fenris wolf step forward?"
That would be most convenient indeed!

And thanks Farael for pointing out this:
Quote:
Guests, talk. Werewolves, shush.
This time I seem to have our host's backing to my "lynch the quiet" -campaign to be unleashed before the end of this Dance...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

. . .A spirit of the dead makes a rude noise before passing on her way to the Other Side. . . .
Old 12-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
But surely if we lynch those who keep quiet then the werewolves will only shout even more? Therefore shouldn't we lynch those who shout the mostest?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
. . .A spirit of the dead makes a rude noise before passing on her way to the Other Side. . . .
Now spirit, shush!! We have a good tactic, if the wolves buy on it it might just work!!!

I actually agree with Nogrod (probably for the first time ). Too many games the ordos have been foiled by a silent wolf (or more than one) A talkative wolf is likely to slip, and a silent ordo does not contribute lots to the game. So, why not lynch the silent ones? We have virtually nothign to go-on today other than some hunches and perhaps a really untimely slip by a careless wolf... The odds of a hunch being right are about 1/7 while the odds of a wolf being careless this early on the game are... well, negligible.

So I say, now that we still have the numbers to risk perhaps a few bad lynchings... why not lynch the silent ones?

Furthermore, it has become a common trend among wolves to kill those that will leave no trail. Talkative ordos tend to put werewolves in tight spots while silent ones are easy kills. I say we kill the silent ones, until we have something better to go on.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #15
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Twirls a lasso and fires off a shot from a six-shooter

Low-down skulkin' varmints! Ain't got any sense of decency to go 'n maul their hosts. Out on the trail, we'd show those no-accounts what was comin' to 'em.

Now, I know that you wolves were told to hush up, but I say you should just fess up now. Ya can't hide forever, and the marshall will be comin' before long.

I'm not a-trustin' that Countess Folwren. Can't tell about those stoic mysterious types. And I'm agreein' with Farael 'bout that Warg-Prince Eomer bein' one to watch. He's done twisted my head around worse than a tornado more than once before.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #16
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
But surely if we lynch those who keep quiet then the werewolves will only shout even more? Therefore shouldn't we lynch those who shout the mostest?
Cross posted with you. See Lalwende the "problem" with your plan is that, as I mentioned perviously, loud people leave trails. Loud ordos eventually get under the werewolves skins and by the lynch patterns we can hope to figure out who the wolves are. Loud werewolves can be as loud as they wish, but they are playing with the knowledge of who is who, and furthermore they have to be careful with their interactions with the other wolf, so once we nail one wolf, if we force the couple to be loud, it is possible that we will find the second by analysing the first wolve's talk.

It is a lot of detective work, and eventually it comes down to a few good guesses.... but if we only leave the silent ones around, then it will ONLY be random guessing, all through the game.

So I say, lynch the silent ones and force the wolves on the spotlight, where any mistakes they make will be noticed.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #17
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
May I remind you gentlemen, before you lynch any of the more silent, that not everyone chatters about nothing? It would be wise to remember that not all who talk endlessly and try to make sense are as innocent and guiltless as they want to make out.

And, Lalwendë, you're assumption is not quite so monstrous as the men's, but even the idea of lynching the most talkative is erroneous. Many people will talk an endless and great amount on Day 1 merely to make conversation. Sometimes, they do so in order to spark conversation, which can be important. Others don't know how to behave at Dances and get nervous and talk too much.

No...I say, search for the people in the center, but do so without forgetting those on the two farthest side of the spectrum of talkative and silent.

-- Countess Folwren

P.S. Cross posted with Farael twice and Celuien once.
Folwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #18
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Crossed with a bunch of dancers.

About the silent ones...I'd agree that it hasn't been uncommon for wolves to use quiet folks to their advantage, so I would be inclined to choose from the quiet ones first...unless someone noisy catches my attention.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #19
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
I'm not a-trustin' that Countess Folwren. Can't tell about those stoic mysterious types.
The countess bows ever so slightly, and ever so elegantly. Beneath her mask, her thin eyebrow is raised in a high arch. Her pale lips form a straight thin line.

You can not tell, indeed. Not by my looks or words, perhaps. Maybe you will come to trust me, though. I know not. Nor do I care.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Farael, being the naughty/nice Elf I know all too well how the naughty and the downright wicked can fly under the radar by doing their bad things in a sneaky fashion. They hope not to be noticed, but the eyes of the naughty/nice elf are always open and she is always alert. But some of them are wise to this so they bluster and shout in the vain hope of double bluffing and so still getting their undeserved gifts from dear old Father Christmas...

Now Folwren I agree often people bluster due to their nerves, but why are they nervous? Something to hide, eh?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #21
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farael
So, we have werewolves here... howcome I'm suspected and not Eomer (let me spell it out for you here) the Prince of Wargs ?

I say warg=wolf, prince=special, special wolf= werewolf!!!!!
Weeellll, hoom. I promised myself I wouldn't say this, but you've given me an opening:
don't be hasty, little orc!

Nogrod, I don't think it's as bleak as all that. We needn't rely on luck alone. I have great faith in the close reading and careful consideration of each post, hoomraroom, and the plain hobbit sense that tells us who seems foul, though he may look fair, and vice versa. (note - the previous is not meant to indicate anyone in particular, it's merely a general statement).

Methinks that merely judging based on posting volume is too broad; a wolf can hide in any category. I suggest we look for inconsistancy and convoluted reasoning, as these are the mark of a liar.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A familiar discussion at a Ball, I see...

Foley's middle-ground sounds reasonable and to a certain extent it is reasonable - at least as I can see it.

But.

There is a funny thing in the dynamics of these Balls where those people dancing with grand gestures and taking lots of room on the floor will be left without a seat in the end as they are in everyone's eyes all the time. They are the ones that are in people's minds as the Dance ceases.

So a witty WW would stand aside and sit easily for the most of the first Dance, or just make a few little sensible-looking squaredances to show they take part. Those I find the most frightening ones.

As Farael said, the ones who fill the floor with their presence will inevitably leave a trail that can be looked upon after a few Dances, but those careful enough not to arouse too much attention stay near the chairs and leave no trail of their choreography...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #23
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sensible advice, Noggy, or is it? I have never encountered a wolf pack that sticks entirely to the shadows, or to the spotlight. I suspect we are more likely to find a wolf in each group.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #24
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Now Folwren I agree often people bluster due to their nerves, but why are they nervous? Something to hide, eh?
The countess fixes her with a cold glance.

No. Not necessarily something to hide. Fear, maybe. There is a lot to fear when eternal death is threatened, would you not say?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #25
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Cross posted with a few dancers.

There is hardly a pack of wolves to speak of, Rikae. There are two. And two Cobblers. Two cobblers who know who the wolves are. Torture is not need to kill the wolves, but perhaps it would be convenient* if we could find the cobblers.

I still do not think it is good to kill the silent ones. Be careful...if you must...consider how they usually are. Those with the habits of being silence and shy should not be killed for it.

-- Countess Folwren

*This is only for the game. A stoical woman would not be adverse to torturing someone if it meant getting needed information, but I am not personally for torture. (Nor am I really, trully, stoical.) - Foley
Old 12-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #26
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
The countess fixes her with a cold glance.

No. Not necessarily something to hide. Fear, maybe. There is a lot to fear when eternal death is threatened, would you not say?
The little Elf winks and skips about as she says:

"But those who have been good have nothing to fear!"
Old 12-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #27
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
I suggest we look for inconsistancy and convoluted reasoning, as these are the mark of a liar.
Indeed, though it was once said that a truly clever wolf would tell the truth, just not truths that would lead to the true identity of the wolves. That's the scariest thought of all!

If someone is obviously misleading and inconsistent, it's a red flag, but I think I tend to find extreme caution more alarming. With only two wolves against 13 dancers, the wolves have more to lose, numerically speaking, if one is caught. And the wolves are also the ones with a secret, so they have to be careful...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #28
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Farael, being the naughty/nice Elf I know all too well how the naughty and the downright wicked can fly under the radar by doing their bad things in a sneaky fashion. They hope not to be noticed, but the eyes of the naughty/nice elf are always open and she is always alert. But some of them are wise to this so they bluster and shout in the vain hope of double bluffing and so still getting their undeserved gifts from dear old Father Christmas...

Lalwende, you seem to be trying to direct our attention to those at the extremes; while Nogrod and Folwren advise us to direct our attention toward the moderates and Farael wants to lynch the quiet ones.

As for myself, as I've said, I'm inclined to think posting volume is flimsy evidence in general.

Lal is, as far as we know, new to the game; her argument would seem to be logical reasoning for a newbie, but it could also be an attempt to shelter a moderate wolf. As she is a newbie, I'm inclined to believe the former for now.
Nogrod and Folwren are experienced, and state the obvious as is generally done on a first day (or dance). Of course, as vocal players, they also argue for their own innocence.
Farael's frustration with being left with the random choice between quiet players I understand, but it will doubtless mean lynching several innocents with no evidence against them. Later in the game, there will be some evidence even concerning the quiet players; everyone has to post daily, and their connections to known wolves/innocents will provide some sort of trail.
Celuien and Kath offer some day one randomness, and Holbytlass some poetry; both are safe posts, but so are Nogrod and Folwren's.

Yet to post:
Morm
Kitana
Naria
Mac
Valier
Eomer
Cailyn

Edit: Cross posted with Lalwende, Celuien and Folwren
Old 12-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #29
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I have never encountered a wolf pack that sticks entirely to the shadows, or to the spotlight.
Ah, but in my (rather extensive at this point in time, although perhaps not as extensive as other's) experience in this kind of sticky situations, it is always the silent wolf that lasts until the end. The loud one often gets lynched early on, and then the silent one sneaks upon the shadows and coasts his cloak of silence to a grim victory.

In my experience, the only time this was not the case, as far as I remember, was with the acursed SPM... he was one crafty, loud wolf. But odds are in our favour, very few of us can claim to be as talented as him. So, I say, force the werewolves to play our game and not the other way around. Don't let them choose whether to hide in the shadows or in the spotlight, force them to be exposed and to take risks. That way, we have a better chance of finding them.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #30
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I still do not think it is good to kill the silent ones. Be careful...if you must...consider how they usually are. Those with the habits of being silence and shy should not be killed for it.
True, but when usual quiet ones are afflicted with lupine tendencies then they are ready made to slip under the radar.
While I don't wish to see exclusive lynches of quiet ones, they are better to be dealt with sooner then later when, as others have stated, the end is near and barely a trail is there. Oh, gracious ladies and lords of the dance.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #31
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'd like to bring up something that might be misnuderstood
I'm not saying "lynch the silent ones all through the game". I'm saying, today and any other day that we do not have good evidence to work on, let's lynch a silent one. Obviously, if we start to find a trend on the werewolve's killings, we should abandon this plan and follow that trend. But in Day 1 there is often nothing to go on... and more often than not, Day 2 gives us rather little information. Unless we have an unexpected breakthrough (and hey, i might happen) I propose we start by getting rid now of those who will confound our counsels later with their silence.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #32
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
True, but when usual quiet ones are afflicted with lupine tendencies then they are ready made to slip under the radar.
While I don't wish to see exclusive lynches of quiet ones, they are better to be dealt with sooner then later when, as others have stated, the end is near and barely a trail is there. Oh, gracious ladies and lords of the dance.
I can't believe I'm about to say this but... I.... erm... I.... agree with you Holbytlass. I think you explain in few words what I said in my last post. I also cross-posted with you, or else I would have saved myself the trouble of the last post.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #33
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
*twitters*

What a mess! Masked balls always did seem dodgy affairs to me.

It is comforting to know not much has changed. The silent versus loud debate is still standing strong, I see, and still unresolved. I see no real point to contribute: it is suspicious behaviour in general, careful wording and thought out messages that we need to detect, not the length and quantity of posting. I think Folwren the Stoic Countess has a strong case in post #17 that basically boils down to everyone is suspicious. Good point.

As to the identity of the wolves: I suspect the most beautiful masks may hide the darkest souls. I therefore think Kath and Valier should be closely observed at all times. Or it might possibly be the Christmas Elf, who would have a nice accomplish in the choirboy. Well, truthfully, I have not a clue, but I know the culprit can not possibly be the devastatingly handsome, noble Prince of Wargs, also known as Eomer of the Rohirrim.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #34
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Perhaps you are right, Farael. Just perhaps. My aversion of your idea came when you mentioned it so early on.

Cross posted with a few posts.

Last edited by Folwren; 12-19-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #35
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Now, Farael, the dance has just begun. By tomorrow afternoon we may have something to go on, and I'd rather lynch a suspected wolf than somebody who happens to have few posts on day one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
(and hey, i might happen)
Typo or Freudian slip? (j/k)

Edit: Cross posted with the last 3 posts.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #36
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Indeed, though it was once said that a truly clever wolf would tell the truth, just not truths that would lead to the true identity of the wolves. That's the scariest thought of all!
Ah, but in this case, the avoidence of a topic or person will be the red flag.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #37
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
I think Folwren the Stoic Countess has a strong case in post #17 that basically boils down to everyone is suspicious. Good point.
True enough, but it is our job to curb and limit those suspicions to a manageable size. We can't just lynch everyone, thus we must try to figure out who is innocent and who is furry.

I might go against my own plan, though, and vote for Folwren today. She has back-flipped already, saying that she's not "that much" against my plan anymore... coincidentally, as my plan gained some support from the most unexpected source (Holby).

P.S: Rikae very funny... don't make me comb over my posts three times just to make sure I don't leave any other typos behind.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #38
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Ah, but in this case, the avoidence of a topic or person will be the red flag.
True enough.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Now, Farael, the dance has just begun. By tomorrow afternoon we may have something to go on, and I'd rather lynch a suspected wolf than somebody who happens to have few posts on day one.
I quess we all would? I don't believe anyone in their senses would argue against that.

But due to timezones certain things need to be brought afore sometimes early on. I'm most puzzled to realise I find myself defending Farael here - and will promise to watch him closely just because of the fact that I seem to agree with him somewhat wholeheartedly by now...

I would just like to remind us of the following:
When we start actually thinking about those who should be left without a chair in the end of the Dance, we rarely find the guts to vote for those who just haven't appeared on the floor a lot as it feels so bad to vote someone out because of that and possibly be wrong! So we tend to try and find even the slightest of reason to vote for someone of whom we think we know something... e.g. those who stand in the open. That way we leave some people in to the shadows where they have decided to reside. That is the perfect place for a villain. And I think you all know how often the first lynch is a goodwilling and active villager...

The logic of truth is easy, the logic of lies built upon lies is very tricky indeed and at best impossible (some of my ancestors have noted this). The loud wolves are caught sooner or later but the silent and careful ones will be a thorn in our side which will become more and more painful after each Dance.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #40
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Long Macalaure the mime stared at the abhorrent sight of his dead host and hostess, his eyes opened and his stare engrossed. "Who could have done such direful deed? Whose hearts are so dark and whose souls so rotten that they find delight in this exposed cruelty?" he thought. But then he remembered:

These are the Barrow-Downs...

It could be everybody.

He turned around to take a look at the other guests present. There was this rude person calling himself mormegil. Can anybody possibly come more untrustworthy than he? Fear stroke Macalaure's heart and with a frightened expression on his face he quickly turned to the next guest.

There was Kath, a butterfly of unmatched beauty and charm. But as she met his eyes he began to feel otherwise. No, this lady was cold and cunning and capable of everything. With an expression of discomfort he went on.

Orcs are known to be cruel beyond all measures, so Macalaure approached Farael with much caution. But his anxiety was lightened. Could an orc as fair-looking as Farael ever conceive any evil? He did not think so and an unheard sigh of relief escaped him.

Then Macalaure was shocked, for the next guest he turned to already had her gaze firmly set upon him. Rikae the Entwife stood there silently, slowly swaying her branches in the wind, observing Macalaure's every move. He was disconcerted, trying to look away but unable to. He quickly moved on, still feeling Rikae's eyes on him.

The weirdest of sights then opened up to the mime's eyes. A nice choirboy stood there and he went by the name of - Nogrod?? It was so evident, it was ridiculous: This was a wolf in choirboy's clothing. Macalaure lowered an eyebrow and gave Nogrod a stern glare. The glare was met by a cute and innocent smile, but this did not lead him astray. This Nogrod was evil and guilty.

If there was one pure being in this place it had to be Lalwendë. "Seriously," Macalaure thought, "how could a Christmas Elf ever be up to something evil?" But then it came to his mind that Christmas Elves also come to scold and punish the people who were naughty! Was she taking her duties too seriously at a place like this? Lalwendë looked at him with mild mischief and Macalaure went on unsettled.

Long he looked upon Kitanna. What kind of person and what kind of thoughts hid themselves under that bag? He was unable to find out and proceeded his round as wise as before.

"Do we not all know how these spoiled heiresses are? They have no real goal in (after-)life and find enjoyment only in expensive nothings and decadent games." he thought. He looked upon Naria with emphasised dismission and dismissive his gaze was met. He did not know whether Naria was guilty or not, but he would put nothing past her.

Macalaure smiled happily when he came past Celuien and proudly showed her the new rope tricks that she taught him before. He was about to continue credulously when suddenly a vision of his forefathers stroke him. He saw an ancestor of this Celuien lynching his own kin in times long past! Macalaure's face petrified in shock and in horror he withdrew from her.

Just at the time that he came nearer to Valier, a thought entered Macalaure's mind: "Who lit the two candles on the chandelier?" It clearly had a connection to the deaths and, unless lit by some dark force of sorcery, somebody had to fly up there to put fire to the wicks! Who else could have done this but this flighty young woman? But she looked sweet and innocent, so Macalaure went on without certainty.

Proud and rotten and grown old in his own wickedness was Vorgram, the Ancient Prince of Wargs. Only reluctantly and with greatest caution Macalaure approached him and he needn't stay long. Vorgram was evil and Macalaure most suspicious of him. He decided to closely watch him from now on - from a bit more afar.

A lighthearted and soothing voice the mime then perceived and turning to its source he saw Cailín, a robin, singing a song that would put Middle-earth's greatest nightingales to shame. Delighted and with new strength of heart he continued the last stops of his inquiry.

He came to Holbytlass, the supposedly 'funny' court jester. "Ha! Those lame groaners and corny jokes are all you have? You don't know about the fine humour of the pantomime. You don't stand a chance once I warm up!" Those were the thoughts that entered Macalaure's mind and it did not seem unlikely to him that Holbytlass herself killed hostess and host to have more material for her low kind of humour. With attached arrogance he went on.

At last he came to Folwren, the countess. She noticed him but barely reacted. Macalaure presented to her the finest of his skills, invisible ropes, invisible walls, invisible tin openers... Exhausted he bowed to her at last. The countess gave a reserved nod of approval and Macalaure smiled, slightly perplexed. A lady as stoic as this one could not possibly have caused such gruesome scene! Or could she?

Finally Macalaure rested. So many people and so many of them evil! For the rest of the dance he spent his time making gestures of deep worry and pondering.

PS: Let's not lynch the people who talk the least, but the people who actually say the least.

PPS: I somewhat agree on Farael's opinion of Folwren.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote