The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #41
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Bethberry, does this mean you are playing this game, officially?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #42
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Eeeek!!! I just realized that I'm going away this weekend, so (Unless the game starts on the 18th, I will not be able to play ) If you have enough people to start before then, don't wait for me though... but if you wait 'till the 18th, I look forward to suspecting you with very weak arguments, as always.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #43
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ok, ok I'm in. I shall be a flighty young woman, with an Exotic colourful bird mask.

I vote for lots of gifted and Werewolves, I like the challenge and complications it brings to the game.
Also I would for sures need a break for Christmas if this game goes that long, so say...24th and 25th .
Old 12-13-2006, 01:31 AM   #44
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Lommy I could just promise to lynch you before the date
I'm sure you could. Seriously though, I shouldn't play if it's probable that I won't be able to be around to the end, because Dury would 99% certainly make me an ordo and you would all be too convinced of my role.

Do what seems best to you, though this game looks very promising, I don't think I'll hold an eternal grudge against you if you decide to start it later.

(Maybe. )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #45
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I don't mind when we start, anytime from now is good for me.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #46
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

May Cailín and I join this bash? I think we'd prefer it to start on Tuesday the 19th (for purely sentimental reasons) but Monday the 18th is very good too.

I think 2 wolves and 2 cobblers is the best way to go. Adding a third wolf makes us want to add a third cobbler. The ball might not be big enough for that. I think you should only add a seer if you also add the third wolf.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #47
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Bethberry, does this mean you are playing this game, officially?
Hmm. Is that a warning not to play randomly, morm?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #48
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I hope it's not too late to join the dance.
If not, any start time is fine for me. I haven't read through the whole thread yet...

EDIT:
Assuming I'm in, again anytime to start works for me. I'll dress as a court-jester.
Ooh, goody Fareal might be playing *rubbing hands in sweet revenge*.

Last edited by Holbytlass; 12-13-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #49
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Hmm. Is that a warning not to play randomly, morm?
No, merely I would like to see your name on the official list this time.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #50
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
IF I play (and it looks like you won't need me) I would prefer to start as soon as possible. You see, I can't promise solid attention or being here all the time during the days after Thursday the 21st.

Also, IF I play, I will be a very elegant, cold, stoic lady. My dress will be silver and blue, made of light, flowing silver satin and chiffon, beaded and embroidered with blue. It will have a raised waist (empire waist, or regent style, whichever makes more sense to you), short sleeves, long skirt (to the floor). My mask will be formed of silver and blue feathers. It will cover my eyes and go over the bridge of my nose, and the feathers will sweep back into a wing like shape on the right side of my head. On the left side, my hair will be done up in braids, pinned up in fancy, twisted buns, with the ends unbraided so that curls fall behind my left ear. I will have pearly white skin, so white that the blue veins show in my throat, arms, and hands . I will be utterly calm (this will be strange playing for me, folks) and unmoveable (Durelin, remember that when you write my death).

I considered all this late last night while I was trying to go to sleep.

Remember, this is only IF you need me.

My oppupation will be countess.

-- Folwren
Old 12-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #51
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
Ooh, goody Fareal might be playing *rubbing hands in sweet revenge*.
Hahahaha it seems that I've found myself a new nemesis, now that SPM is not playing. Good, I'll look forward to lynching you... unless I'm blessed (how's that for an irony) with being a werewolf. Then I'll look forward to lynching you. What? If I say that I'll kill you at night if I'm a WW and then the WW does it, they'll point fingers at me ANd we all know Farael is a misguided innocent with a little bit of luck and some weird reasoning.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #52
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mac, Eomer, Cailin, and Farael all need the game to wait to start until early next week.

Lommy and Folwren need it to start as soon as possible.

Sorry, Lommy and Foley, but I think I'm going to hold it off until next week. I'm really sad to lose you guys from this game!

I won't close sign up until I give out the roles soon before the game starts, unless we somehow get too many people...

Holby - There is definitely still room! Welcome, and welcome Valier!

Quote:
Aw, I guess that means pulling out a secret third wolf isn't going to make you happy?

Quote:
Adding a third wolf makes us want to add a third cobbler. The ball might not be big enough for that.
Yeah, I would never imagine three cobblers! If I do add a third wolf, I will add a Seer, but that's all. And I'd like to see how just two wolves do with two cobblers helping them out.

So, for a start date, how does about 2:00 pm on Monday, December 18th sound? That would be in EST time, which is GMT -5.

Will you and Cailin be able to manage that, Eomer?

We will break for the 24th and 25th...so, from 2:00 pm on the 23rd to 2:00 pm on the 26th, it will neither be Day nor Night. If we start on the 18th, the break will start after a Night, and so on the 26th we'll start up again with a Day.

*runs off to edit the Guest List...

Last edited by Durelin; 12-13-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #53
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
May Cailín and I join this bash? I think we'd prefer it to start on Tuesday the 19th (for purely sentimental reasons) but Monday the 18th is very good too.
Well, it seems I do not need to sign up myself, but let's confirm this anyway. If the game indeed starts Monday the 18th, I'd love to join.

It will be strange getting into werewolves again. It even feels odd to post here.

Edit: Yes, Durelin, that will do very well, I think.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #54
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Lommy and Folwren need it to start as soon as possible.

Sorry, Lommy and Foley, but I think I'm going to hold it off until next week. I'm really sad to lose you guys from this game!
No, I just stated what was most convenient.

But as you're waiting - are you going to do the first NIGHT on Sunday and have the first DAY on Monday? What would be alright for me, too.

But, still - I am only here if you don't have your full fourteen necessary players.

-- Folwren
Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #55
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Man, and Foley's death would have been so cool to do...

Welcome, Cailin! I'm glad you chose to come back to this insanity.

Here's the updated Guest List:

~*~*(Tentative) Guest List*~*~

Durelin as Thuringwethil (Mod and Hostess)
CaptainofDespair as The Witch-King (Co-mod and Host)
mormegil as a (Kewl-Shades) Rude Boy
Kath as a (Beautiful) Butterfly
Farael as a Fair-looking Orc
Rikae as an Entwife
Nogrod as a Nice Choirboy
Lalwende as a (Mischievous Little) Christmas Elf
Kitanna as a Rejected Band Member wearing a bag with eyeholes (teh ugly bag?! )
Naria as a Spoiled Heiress wearing a Venetian half mask
Macalaure as a Mime
Celuien as a Cowgirl
Valier as a Flighty Young Woman wearing an exotic colourful bird mask (clever!)
Eomer as Vorgram, Ancient Prince of Wargs
Cailín as a Robin
Holbytlass as a Court Jester
Folwren as an Elegant, Cold, Stoic, Mysterious Countess

We have 14 players, not counting Lommy (because I'm assuming she's going to have to pull out). That's the number I wanted at least, so I'm very happy! There's still room for more, though!

Last edited by Durelin; 12-18-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #56
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry, Foley - cross-posted...imagine that!

And sorry, I should have payed closer attention. If you really want to play and actually feel you can, I'd love to have you, but you're not absolutely needed, so if you feel like that would be a bit too much on your plate, then you'll be missed, but we'll understand.

Actually, starting the night on Sunday at 2:00 pm sounds good, but that would mean we end with a Day on the 23rd which feels odd to me. Still, it that can work fine.

So, Sunday the 17th at 2:00 pm EST will be our (still rather tentative) start date. If that time is impossible for anyone, just let me know. We will start with a Night and all that jazz.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #57
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
So, Sunday the 17th at 2:00 pm EST will be our (still rather tentative) start date. If that time is impossible for anyone, just let me know. We will start with a Night and all that jazz.
Mmm, mmm, I think Eomer and I would really prefer to start the 18th. Actually, the 17th may be quite impossible. Sorry for being so troublesome.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #58
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
YAY Cailin!! Glad to see you back in ww

Durelin, the 18th would work better for me as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #59
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Alrighty, I'm not picky, so I suppose we'll wait until the 18th.

So, we'll go with: Night 1 begins on Monday, the 18th, at 2:00 pm EST.

It's about 1:40 pm EST at this post.

Here's the Time zone converter: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Here's a world time zone map: http://www3.shastacollege.edu/dscoll...e_zone_map.JPG

If you need any help with the time zone issue, let me know and I'll try to help.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #60
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sooo, that would be 7pm GMT? On Monday? And that will be a Night, where werewolves can kill gamers? Then from 7pm on Tuesday, it will be a day, when villagers talk about who's a werewolf and who to lynch?

Have I got it?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #61
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
You've got it!

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Lal has been religiously following these games for years and is just putting on this newbie act so as to heartily shock us when Durelin makes her a wolf and she sails through to a win? Or is that just the natural paranoia of werewolf?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #62
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hm. Are you folks all sure about what you're saying? About the first night starting on Monday? That means, all of Monday the 18 is wasted, and most of Tuesday, the 19, is wasted, too, because it's all during the Night. Nothing can happen the first Night, except some chatting between the two wolves. A seer doesn't even get to dream.

If we were to start Night 1 on Sunday the 17, at 2:00 P.M. EST, some of the time on Monday 18 could be used for Day 1, which would be benecifial for the dancers.

Do I make sense? It's kind of hard to explain.

Quote:
Man, and Foley's death would have been so cool to do...
Yes, I know. With a character like that? I envy you already! By the way, did Jenny ever put up the post I wrote for your death in her game? It was very much fun writing it.

-- Folwren
Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #63
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

It seems she never did... Oopsies.

I'm sorry I haven't seen it yet! Maybe it's time to bug her...that shouldn't go to waste!

Edit: Sorry, had to think through the time stuff...

You definitely have a point, although, on Night 1 that's still the wolves time to talk, even though they don't pick a kill. No one's sure if they're going to be a wolf or not (I have no clue right now, too!), so I guess they'd all best be prepared to be there as much as they can even on Night 1.

Last edited by Durelin; 12-13-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #64
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Is that anything like the Queen's List for new honours -- a "Death Peerage" perhaps?

Although I really like Durelin's idea of musical dances, I shall have to pass on this extravaganza as my computer access will be intermittent for the next little while. Besides, if I don't get a SAVE filled in soon for pio, she likely will feed me to the wolves, if not lynch me herself.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 12-13-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #65
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
How good to see you Eomer, Cailín, Celuien & Holby! This is looking fun indeed!

And the timetable now proposed looks very convenient to me.

About the roles: I can go with everything Durelin wishes us to go with. With this number of players the original plan (two wolves + two cobblers) sounds good.

I will be in a bit of hurry in the first Days, though. I have been too busy reading my students exams (and will be until the weekend is over) so everything relating to Christmas will be left for the next week... So I may be in a bit subdued mode in the beginning. Just to let you know.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 AM   #66
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
That's alright. Take me off from the list then, since I'm not assuming the game will be finished on the 21st (my no-werewolf line) or even on the 23rd (my ultimate no-werewolf line).
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #67
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
You've got it!

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Lal has been religiously following these games for years and is just putting on this newbie act so as to heartily shock us when Durelin makes her a wolf and she sails through to a win? Or is that just the natural paranoia of werewolf?
No, I really am this clueless!

Is there going to be a no-discussing- this-on-blogs cheating rule then, too?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #68
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Bloggers' rights of free speech are put on hold for the duration of the game. Yes: Werewolf is that important.

Thanks Nogrod. Incidentally, a belated happy birthday. Your PM box was full.

Costumes, costumes. I think I shall go as Vorgram, Ancient Prince of Wargs. That will require a specially good mask.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 12-14-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #69
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Alrighty, I've decided that double lynchings will be allowed! Because I do love a nice, bloody game...

I still need a role from Cailín and Lal.

(This "role" is purely for fun, and just to give me something to mess with if I get to write a death narrative for you. You can have fun with it during the game, as much or as little as you'd like. The "role" you choose in this game will be what you are attending the ball as, or it can simply be who you are and include what sort of mask you're wearing, as some have done.)
Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #70
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, Durelin. It seems that you have all of your necessary players. I am withdrawing. The countess acquired a cold, you can say, and she refuses to be seen in public with a red nose. If I am mistaken and you are still short of a player or two, let me know, and I'll heal her up.

-- Folwren
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #71
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yes, I have the number that I feel that I need, but I would love to have a few more people.

So, you do whatever you want and/or need to do, Foley.

Anyone else? There's (almost) always room for more.

Edit:

I will cut off sign up officially and send out roles in the afternoon on Sunday, the 17th. Obviously there will be no communication until Night 1 starts, though, wolves.

Last edited by Durelin; 12-15-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #72
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Durelin,

I have not fully decided. I have actually caught something of a cold and I do really have a red nose...but that doesn't affect my WW playing for real, does it?

Can I make up my mind tomorrow? What time, EST, are you planning on stopping the new arrivals and sending out rolls?

-- Folwren
Old 12-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #73
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Are you sending out roles to everyone, or just gifteds and wolves?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #74
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Since Durelin is not available, I will post the answer to Folwren's question in her stead.

To her, it does not matter what time she decides and sends out the roles. So whenever you make up your mind is fine, Folwren. It would be preferable to do so before 9pm EST, however.

*This post has been authorized under Durelin's WW Admin Act of Right Now (WAARN).*
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #75
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Are you sending out roles to everyone, or just gifteds and wolves?
Oops, Cross-posted. That first post took longer than I imagined.

Durelin will be sending out the roles to everyone, to keep people from being in suspense longer than they need to be.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #76
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Am I still in?

Then I'll come along as a Christmas Elf. Not the long, tall Tolkienian kind, but the little sneaky kind that makes sure everyone has been good all year so Father Christmas only delivers gifts to those who deserve 'em.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #77
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Of course, Lal! Sorry if it was the question marks that were confusing. Was just my way of marking that you hadn't chosen a for fun "role" yet.

Christmas Elf...a little festivity will be an excellent addition!

Cailin - I still need a role from you. Try to let me know before the roles go out, but it's not a huge deal if you can't.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #78
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Roles have been sent out!

The game is set to start with Night 1 at 2:00 pm tomorrow, Monday the 18th.

Remember to turn yourselves invisible before then!

I'm pretty positive everyone received a PM containing your role. If you did not, PM me to let me know (I've had PMs that I swore I sent never make it). If you have any questions regarding your role, of course you can PM me anytime.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 AM   #79
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Cailin - I still need a role from you. Try to let me know before the roles go out, but it's not a huge deal if you can't.
Oops, sorry, forgot about that for a second.

To stay with the holiday spirit, I shall be a robin.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #80
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

No problem!

Just a note: the game has begun!

Day 1 will begin at 2:00 pm EST tomorrow.

(As a helpful time note: My post time for the beginning of Night 1 reads 1:52 pm.)