The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXVII: Ballroom Blitz - Admin Thread

Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXVII: Ballroom Blitz

All residents of the Barrow are cordially invited to the Black and Wight Ball.

Black and Wight attire is recommended. Masks are required.

RSVP as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Your Woman-of-the-Secret-Shadow of a hostess,
Thuringwethil (Durelin)

About the Game:

Days = Dances
24 hours RL time = 1 Day = 1 Dance
Nights = Rests
24 hours RL time = 1 Night = 1 Rest

The band will play on, regardless of whether or not the villagers wish to dance or to lynch. When the music is not being played, well, someone will not be able to find a seat, and the wolves will find him or her easy pickings. In this case, being without a partner is more than simply socially unacceptable.

In place of the usual pretend ‘roles,’ you may choose who/what you are going to the ball as.

(All of this dancing nonsense is just for fun. You may call Days and Nights simply Days and Nights, and you may think of the village in normal terms. Playing along with the ball setting is optional.)

Among your partners you will find:
Preferably at least 10 Ordinary Villagers
2 Werewolves
2 Cobblers, each with the knowledge of one Werewolf

Rules:

1. Double-lynchings are allowed. (Subject to change, if desired.)
2. Retractable votes are allowed.
3. The Werewolves work together, and converse each Night, including Night 1. They choose one kill each Night, excepting Night 1.
4. Both Cobblers want the Werewolves to win. One Cobbler knows who one Werewolf is, the other Cobbler knows who the other Werewolf is. The Cobblers do not know who each other are.
5. The Werewolves do not know who the Cobblers are at all.
6. Let's try no editing!
7. Keep the severity level down.

~*~*Guest List*~*~

Durelin as Thuringwethil (Mod and Hostess)
CaptainofDespair as The Witch-King (Co-mod and Host; will play if needed)
mormegil as a (Kewl-Shades) Rude Boy
Kath as a (Beautiful) Butterfly
Farael as a Fair-looking Orc
Rikae as an Entwife
Nogrod as a Nice Choirboy
Lalwende as a (Mischievous Little) Christmas Elf
Kitanna as a Rejected Band Member wearing a bag with eyeholes (teh ugly bag?! )
Naria as a Spoiled Heiress wearing a Venetian half mask
Macalaure as a Mime
Celuien as a Cowgirl
Valier as a Flighty Young Woman wearing an exotic colourful bird mask (clever!)
Eomer as Vorgram, Ancient Prince of Wargs
Cailín as a Robin
Holbytlass as a Court Jester
Folwren as an Elegant, Cold, Stoic, Mysterious Countess

Go ahead an sign up here! Sign up in the next day or so and you might get a complimentary invisible cookie absolutely possibly free!

When you sign up (or soonish after you sign up), please let me know who/what you are going to the Ball as. Thank you!

Last edited by Durelin; 12-18-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

When is your preferred start-date? I'd like a game over the holidays but maybe other people want to start sooner.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, there is a mix...for some people, the holidays are better. For others, they need a game to start very soon. It all depends on how much interest I get really soon, I suppose.

I don't want to close sign up early, though, because I want this to be a large game.

Basically, if I get a good number of players quickly, I'm going to start the game as soon as I get "enough." If it takes longer, than I'll let sign up time be a little longer, and we might end up playing during the holidays. If a number of people are available except for on Christmas Day, then it might be possible to "pause" the game for 24 hours. We will simply have to trust our wolves to not use this time to PM among themselves (I will declare this against the rules), so they don't get any extra plotting time.

Sorry I can't really tell you more. I'm flexible, but this is a tricksy time of year, I know.

As for starting/ending times: I am in EST. If the game gets started very soon, the start/end time can be anytime between about 3:30 pm and 9:00 pm. If the game does not start for a little while, then I may be more flexible (anytime between 12:30 pm and 9:00 pm, really).
Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm in, though I miss the double lynchings.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I do too...I'm hesitant only because that will be easy for all four of the nasties to use to their advantage.

We'll see, though.

And may I know who/what you are going to the ball as (whenever is fine, just reminding/making that clear)? Only so I have something to work with.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
For old times sake I will go as a Rude Boy they wear sunglasses, is that okay?

Last edited by mormegil; 12-11-2006 at 06:12 PM.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'll join! This definitely won't start before Wednesday so I'm good to go. I think I'll come as a butterfly, unless wilwa chooses to play in which case I will pass the mask on to her.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yay, welcome, Kath, morm!

morm - That's fine. Pretty much anything goes.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I'll join! This definitely won't start before Wednesday ...
If that is true, then I'm in.... and I guess it IS true, 'cos it'd be rather rare if it started tomorrow

Who should I be.... hmm..... I'll go dressed as a fair looking orc.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
White Tree

I'd like to join...and it looks like the WWJ game isn't going to happen, so I'm free. I suppose I'll go as an entwife...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This will be a brilliant game, Durelin, and I'm heartily sorry that I won't be able to make it...I'll read it with much interest...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #12
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm in.

But if this game won't start early enough to end before Christmas (which becomes all the time more and more probable) I will have to pull out.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 AM   #13
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Count me in too.

I will come to the ball as a nice choirboy.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yay, welcome Rikae, Lommy, and Nogrod!

I hope you can play, Lommy, though I guess we will have to see. If it looks like things are going to be too tight, maybe we can work something out...I'm not sure what, but I'd like to try!

I wish you could play, too, Ang! You were out of the last WWJ game far too quickly for anyone to enjoy your presence...which of course was partially my fault. I still feel absolutely miserable for that.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Lommy I could just promise to lynch you before the date
Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Lommy I could just promise to lynch you before the date
I could help with it. Think of the rude boy and the nice boy organising your lynch in time. How balanced!

And surely it would be nice to see Ang again. I have been partly to blame for his two last lynches as innocent, so hopefully I could do him more justice this time and trust him for a reason or at last help to lynch him as an actual culprit...

Maybe, if Durelin gives us a pause over the Christmas days (48 hours from eve to the second day fex.?) more would join in? I mean if that's the case...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes I could be in for this! How much/how many times will I need to be 'logging on' each day? I'll have a stinker of a day next Tuesday, but only from about 9-5!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #18
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
You need at least one post in a Day because otherwise you tend to get lynched. Otherwise it depends on your playing style. Some people post 10 enormous posts in a Day, others only post 2/3 times. Just see what works for you. But you will need to keep up so you might want to log on just to read what's gone on even if you aren't going to post.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
But you will need to keep up so you might want to log on just to read what's gone on even if you aren't going to post.
Yes. This is a matter of dispute, for some of us hold it pretty nasty to just read and not actually post more than to mourn for the dead and say hello... But as I know it from personal experience, those complainers also meet their deaths very early most of the time...

So just see what comes naturally.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #20
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

A pause over Christmas 24, or even 48 hours, would be quite possible, I think, as long as I feel I can trust my wolves to be good sports.

Yay, Lal! Well, getting on at least twice during the 24 hour Day period sounds fine to me if you're an innocent, but if you're a wolf you might want to be on a little more during the Night. The best thing is to be able to get online as close to the end of the Day as possible, simply because having to vote early isn't normally desired.

If you're going to be unable to get online for a long period of time, as long as you drop a notice on the Admin thread all shall be fine.

Edit: Wow, it's like the game's already started...cross-posted with Kath and Nogrod.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #21
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Seeing that Gil's game is a no go, is there still room in your's Durelin?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #22
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Of course! I do not see there not being room...I want this to be as large a game as possible!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #23
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
White-Hand

I will be a spoiled Heiress who will wear a Venetian half mask.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #24
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Welcome, Naria!

We've got 9 players, 10 if CaptainofDespair plays instead of co-modding for me. I'd like to have at least 4 more players, if possible. I'd love to have even more.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #25
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
We've got 9 players, 10 if CaptainofDespair plays instead of co-modding for me. I'd like to have at least 4 more players, if possible. I'd love to have even more.
How about Macalaure and Nimrodel_9? They were about to play in Gil's game and as far as I know, have not said they would be withdrawing for any general reason. So hopefully we'll have them with us here?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #26
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ah, yeah. Hopefully we will! I'll PM them if they don't post anything soonish, but I won't bug them yet.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #27
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I would really like to play, but I won't be home over the week-end.

If we start the first Day next Monday, I'm in. Otherwise, put me down as probably, because I'd have to be really short for three days, which wouldn't be to my liking.

I wouldn't worry about the trustworthiness of the wolves. After all, we're already trusting them not to pm on days without being able to actually control it.
I'd prefer a 48 hours pause over Christmas. I mean, how much sense makes it to play on the 25th, if you get a total of ten posts because people don't have the time?

Anyway, can I be a mime?

edit: PS: I've never seen such a busy Admin-thread.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #28
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ah, I thought we spoke to so...welcome, Mac! And well, we'll see when the game starts...

It's better for Lommy that it starts really soon, but it's better for others that it wait.

I'll go with whatever the majority of those with time issues need.

It does look like we'll have a break for Christmas (at least simply the 25th) though.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #29
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think the Christmas break will be quite central to people's joining-decision. I would strongly favour a break on the 24th and 25th.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #30
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If you are wanting to play shortly and you need another player, you can contact me and I'll play for you. But I will only play if you need me. You see, I don't really have time for it, but I would like to play...but I can't really make any excuses to play unless you actually need me. So, after you've waited a while and if the last few that you need still have showed up, you can count me in.

EDIT: Best time for me is next week.

-- Folwren
Old 12-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
If you are wanting to play shortly and you need another player, you can contact me and I'll play for you. But I will only play if you need me. You see, I don't really have time for it, but I would like to play...but I can't really make any excuses to play unless you actually need me.
We need you Foley! 'nuff said?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #32
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

White-Hand

Btw. there seems to be a general problem of the Downs clock going forwards and backwards in some random fashion, so that should be taken account of. Just check the time when your post is recognised by the downs and compare it to your own computer's or watch's time or what have you.

I mean in the end of the Day in a game it's many times a question of one minute when the going gets tough. So should we just rely on some general time and disregard different times the Downs are proposing as they seem to run from over 50 minutes errors to a few minute ones (including the half an hour ones too - my last was 19 minutes off)?

Unless the problem gets solved, to be sure.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #33
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Seeing as this is a party, I suppose my role for my role I'd like to go as a rejected band member, wearing a bag with eye holes as my mask.
If the game starts before December 16, there's a good chance I won't be around much that day. Also I'm starting back at work soon, so I'll be able to make several posts a day, but they'll be far apart. Hope that's not a big problem.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #34
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Welcome, Naria!

Well, just let me know if you need another player and cannot find one. I'm quite happy to mod, and just as happy to play. Thus, a win-win.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #35
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Would you do a third wolf if we have enough players and not add a cobbler? Also, will the cobbler role be known after their death or since they are technically innocent will they be seen as an innocent villager?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #36
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Thanks, Foley! I'll let you know as soon as I can whether or not I absolutely need you.

morm - I want to have my two cobblers. And each Cobbler's role will be revealed after their death.

If we get a whole bunch of people somehow, I might add both a 3rd Wolf and a Seer, though...

Alright, let's get some official votes right now:

Everyone signed up for and/or interested in this game: Please post here or PM me to let me know which you prefer overall, if you have not already made it clear: starting as soon as possible, or waiting to start until Monday, December 18.

If the game runs into Christmas, we'll pause for the 24th and 25th.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #37
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Is there room at the ball for a cowgirl?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #38
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yay!

Anytime.

Edit: As for clock times and all that: I will most likely be judging start and end times by the clock on this computer, which reads at this moment 8:36 pm. Yes, definitely quite a bit off from the 'Downs time...it reads 8:10 pm for GMT -5 (EST)...

Last edited by Durelin; 12-12-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #39
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
morm - I want to have my two cobblers. And each Cobbler's role will be revealed after their death.

If we get a whole bunch of people somehow, I might add both a 3rd Wolf and a Seer, though...

Alright, let's get some official votes right now:
See, the werewolf-previously-free-except-for-Fea's-lunacy--zone has no idea what this bit about cobblers means. And as I read this, it sounds like a foregone conclusion that they die. Or does this mean 'if they die'?

Is there some place that explains what all these special roles are or do you have to read over all the previous WW games to get it?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #40
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I'm sorry, I fail! I should have listed an explanation of the Cobbler role in the first post.

But here we are...better late than never? As ever...

A Cobbler is a villager who is such a sorry soul that he/she wishes to bring about not only their own death, but also the deaths of...well, everyone else! They are an innocent, ordinary villager, but one who wishes the Werewolves to win. Normally, the Cobbler does not know the identity of any of the wolves, but still must try and help them win somehow.

In this game, there will be two Cobbers, and each Cobbler knows the identity of one of the two Werewolves (each Cobblers knows a different werewolf). Neither Cobbler knows who the other is, and the Werewolves are completely in the dark as to who the Cobblers are.

They do not necessarily die, though usually they do... So, yes, that should have been an "if," technically. Sorry! They are just like any other villager, though, and so can be lynched or killed by the wolves.