The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #41
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The gall bladder and hugs thing is totally working out for me.

Pneumonicastic.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #42
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril indulging in a little egocentricism here... *sheepish grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwa
I never pronounce Lhuna's second A. I always have it in my head as Lhunardwen.
Is this your dilemma too, Kath? Tsk, tsk. A major mistake in Quenya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgwbs
I never could figure out what a "Lhun" in "Lhunardawen" is though.
It's supposed to be the name of the river, near Lindon. The name has a story behind it. I'm not sure about the 'arda,' though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Lhunardawen got spelled lots of ways before I gave up and started saying Lhuna, Lhunatic, or LhunArtemis the Hunter. See, instead of Lhun-arda-wen, it ended up being Lhun-ad-arwen. Yeah... I got a few unsent PMs back when trying to assign that role.
Arwen...*laughs out loud then catches herself, reducing the guffaws to chuckles* I love the Lhunartemis name, by the way. Very nice play on the words. But isn't that a bit contradictory? Lhuna *chuckles yet again* being goddess of the moon and Artemis the goddess of hunting...unless I'm both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
I've always assumed that LHUN+ARDA+WEN = BLUE+EARTH+WOMAN.

So, I guess, in my mind, Lhunardawen is a blueish earth woman. Like so- , but happier.
Hmm...I didn't know Lhun means blue. But you formally declared picturing me as Gollum, didn't you? Forgetful little hobbit...*gollum*

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-24-2005 at 06:20 AM. Reason: what's 'egocentrism'?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #43
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Then there was Encaitare's name... But, I've remembered the 'cait', and it's proved most helpful.
For those who have gamed in the Green Dragon with me and remember my (somewhat short-lived) character Caity... well, there's a little bit of help. What with the "Cait" and all... *withdraws back into the shadows, mumbling incoherently*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #44
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Hmm...I didn't know Lhun means blue. But you formally declared picturing me as Gollum, didn't you? Forgetful little hobbit...*gollum*
Very well then....

A blue Gollum, henceforth to be christened Lhunardagollumwen: Blue-earth-gollum-woman.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:58 AM   #45
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Marileangorifurnimaluim

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #46
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It's like trying to pronounce the ingredients in cigarettes, that name. Small wonder she got dubbed Maril.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #47
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

It would appear that some werewolves engaged in a capital offense over littlemanpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous siggy
++LittleManPoet
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #48
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Speaking of Bethberry...

Shouldn't it really be Bêthberry?

Except we're all slackers and are far too lazy to get the little symbol in there...

Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #49
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Indeed. Either we memorize the ALT codes, we copy and paste, or we slack. Most of us slack. Otherwise I'd have the *insert ALT code I don't remember* in my own name in place of "e". Like I said... it's the thought that counts.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #50
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formsy
Very well then....

A blue Gollum, henceforth to be christened Lhunardagollumwen: Blue-earth-gollum-woman.

That's more like it.

But that would be very hard to type, wouldn't it, preciousss? *gollum* *gollum*

Speaking of Bêthberry, that reminds me of the time Nilp and I used Evissë instead of Evisse...until she 'reprimanded' Nilp for it. The ë, I mean.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-24-2005 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #51
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Indeed. Either we memorize the ALT codes, we copy and paste, or we slack. Most of us slack. Otherwise I'd have the *insert ALT code I don't remember* in my own name in place of "e". Like I said... it's the thought that counts.
Eh, try typing in Russian.

I don't feel THAT guilty slacking on the cute little codes... unless you need 'em. Ædegard isn't THAT far from Aedegard. Except, in that case, I did it just for lmp.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:03 AM   #52
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Fordhim is easy to explain...

"dh"s litter the Elvish language: Caradhras, Galadhrim, Pengolodh, edhc, edhc...

And, it's fun to tease Master Shrubpricklies...
You've found me out! By day, a mild-mannered hobbit of the Shire, Fordim Hedgethistle. But by night I become Fordhim the Great.

Where's my hordes of screaming fangirls...?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #53
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe they trampled each other to death in the rush?

Surely that shoud be where are.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #54
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The name I've had problems is ohtatyaro (hope I wrote it correct this time...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #55
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Quote:
You've found me out! By day, a mild-mannered hobbit of the Shire, Fordim Hedgethistle. But by night I become Fordhim the Great.
And now that we've just found out the truth we can eliminate you from Esty's new thread...

I'm terribly disappointed in my name and I fervently wish that I had chosen a name more suitable for a site full of intellectuals. But what're you going to do? *shrugs*

As far as spelling goes, Orominuialwen gave me the second worst trouble, right after Marilea......*gives up*
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 AM   #56
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abercrombie
I'm terribly disappointed in my name and I fervently wish that I had chosen a name more suitable for a site full of intellectuals. But what're you going to do? *shrugs*
Heh, I'll second that. Then again, my name was chosen by a thirteen year old, what do you expect?

As for nicknames, I like "TGWBS" much more than "tgwbs" for some reason, even though the latter is technically more accurate. "Guy" just seems weird to me, as if I'm putting emphasis on being male or something.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 08-09-2005 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Speeling - er, spelling.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #57
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Marketers of the Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
I've always rather liked the nick AbercrombieOfRohan.

I assumed it was a bit of punnery about The Gap and company logos. Throw in some thoughts that maybe Tolkien would harbour feelings about multinational sweatshops similar to the way he felt about mechanisation. Of course, if you are going to say that you had no intentions along those lines, well, there goes some play with words...
Old 08-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #58
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Heh, I'll second that. Then again, my name was chosen by a thirteen year old, what do you expect?
Yes... mine was chosen by a 15-year-old. One with a distinct love for people that are "of" places. Robin of Loxley, Apropos of Nothing, Lothar of the Hill People... I rue that day like you wouldn't believe...

Quote:
"Guy" just seems weird to me, as if I'm putting emphasis on being male or something.
It's distinctly odd to me (as well as seemingly pretentious) to see "Feanor of the Peredhil" written as a whole. Just about everyone calls me Fea, but half the time it's pronounced wrong. Perhaps we should start a "Fee or Fay-a? The Horrors of Pro-Nun-Sea-Ay-Shin". It's my own fault, of course, for not knowing how to do alt codes when I registered.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #59
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
Yes... mine [Ame*] was chosen by a 15-year-old... I rue that day like you wouldn't believe...
I'm a fifteen year old, which possibly explains why I think your name is cool. It's pleasantly different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
Just about everyone calls me Fea, but half the time it's pronounced wrong. Perhaps we should start a "Fee or Fay-a?
If I've got my Quenya right, shouldn't it be neither? I pronounce it Fe-a, with the e in peg. You know, it's awfully difficult typing pronunciations...

*Say it aloud and it will all make sense, I promise.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #60
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I was too lazy and at a complete lack of creativity when I chose my name. I was also about 13, so...I relied on the Barrow-Downs name generator. And I was even too lazy to put the accent on the u...it really should be Dûrelin...I think. I don't even remember now.

And my laziness still reins supreme...I don't even bother to try and spell Oriminiualwen...Orominiualwen...Orominuialwen... Oro or Oromin seems fine to me...
Old 08-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #61
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Marileangorifurnimaluim remains the biscuit-taker. I mean, come in, in that particular case...well, can you blame people for shortening it to Maril?!

Quote:
And the same goes for Aman...Amanaduial the Archer? Who's that?
Aww, thanks Durelin, thanks for that. *sniff* No, but my 'nickname' is really brought about really because people continually spelt my name wrong, incidentally - Amanduil or Amanaduil (ooh, closer but you still ain't quite got it. Thanks for playing.) became the most common variations. Four A's! Four! Why must you leave a few out?! *deep breaths*

And I suppose after a while, Aman just...stuck. Rather like that extra sticky superglue when split in a very conspicuous place on your grandmother's armchair. For a while, Cuthalion did his very best to change it to Archer - which I much preferred - and hey, it caught on with all of, ooh, three people. Dangnabbit. And when I came to the Green Dragon with the character Aman, well... superglue it is then.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #62
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
Four A's! Four! Why must you leave a few out?! *deep breaths*
Hmm. Amanaduial the archer

I see five a's there in total.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #63
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Quote:
I've always rather liked the nick AbercrombieOfRohan.
Aww, thanks Bethberry, you just made my day.

Quote:
I assumed it was a bit of punnery about The Gap and company logos. Throw in some thoughts that maybe Tolkien would harbour feelings about multinational sweatshops similar to the way he felt about mechanisation. Of course, if you are going to say that you had no intentions along those lines, well, there goes some play with words...
Well, that was the intention, but it still seems like I'm leggybopper or a wannabe. Oh well, always look on the bright side of life, I guess.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:03 AM   #64
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
As for nicknames, I like "TGWBS" much more than "tgwbs" for some reason, even though the latter is technically more accurate.
tgwbs. tgwbs. tgwbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dûrelin (?)
I was too lazy and at a complete lack of creativity when I chose my name. I was also about 13, so...I relied on the Barrow-Downs name generator.
So Durelin is supposed to be an Elven name? It's seems rather un-Elvish to me...more like Man-nish or something else entirely. But that's just me.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #65
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I'm a fifteen year old, which possibly explains why I think your name is cool. It's pleasantly different.
Yes... well... I'll be 18 in just a few short days and to me it seems... well... too long. Like I'm trying to project an image, which, of course, I was.

Quote:
If I've got my Quenya right, shouldn't it be neither? I pronounce it Fe-a, with the e in peg. You know, it's awfully difficult typing pronunciations...
*cough* Live inside my head and it's going to be pronounced Fay-a from now on.

More on topic, I agree about ohtatyaro. I did just spell that right, yes? I hope? I dont' see him/her often enough to nail the name, unlike Orominuialwen who I had to send PMs to in WW5 and then assign a role to in WW6.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #66
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
him

oh-tA-tee-A-ro
Old 08-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #67
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Question

Quote:
Just about everyone calls me Fea, but half the time it's pronounced wrong. Perhaps we should start a "Fee or Fay-a? The Horrors of Pro-Nun-Sea-Ay-Shin". It's my own fault, of course, for not knowing how to do alt codes when I registered.
I always pronounce it Fay, like the ay in Day. Is that right?

I had a hard time spelling Encaitare in WW7, because I pronounce it way different then its spelled.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #68
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
Pro-Nun-Sea-Ay-Shin
Ooh, just that word alone could spark off debate over the Atlantic...(prO-nun-see-ay-shun? pruh-nun-shee-aysh-on? pro-nun-see-ay-shin?...I'll shut up.)

Quote:
Hmm. Amanaduial the archer

I see five a's there in total.
Dear, sweet, kind Bethberry...please do not make me doubt my sanity like that
Old 08-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #69
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
So Durelin is supposed to be an Elven name? It's seems rather un-Elvish to me...more like Man-nish or something else entirely. But that's just me.
It is quite simple compared to most elvish names, really...but I suppose that's why I liked it. And I felt it didn't need an 'iel' or 'ien' or 'wen' ending or anything...
Old 08-10-2005, 11:15 PM   #70
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
It is quite simple compared to most elvish names, really...but I suppose that's why I liked it. And I felt it didn't need an 'iel' or 'ien' or 'wen' ending or anything...
Hmmm...

Durliel.

Durlien.

Durelwen.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #71
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Dureliniel.

Durelinien.

Durelinwen.

You're right.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #72
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Durliel.

Durlien.

Durelwen.
If I had been that creative when choosing my name, I might have gone with either of those last two...maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman
my 'nickname' is really brought about really because people continually spelt my name wrong, incidentally - Amanduil or Amanaduil
I have to say I have been guilty of missing an 'a.' I knew it was supposed to be there, and my mind projected it as there, but my fingers didn't make it happen. And I think it's still misspelled somewhere in a post...somewhere... I remember seeing it and feeling so bad...and stupid.

I always feel like it's the greatest insult to spell anyone's name wrong when it's staring you in the face....and mostly it's simply insulting to yourself.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #73
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Should have gone with Rakein, Durelin. I miss calling you Rakey.

I'm guilty of spelling every name wrong. It's not because I don't know how to spell the name (though sometimes it is). Mostly, I just can't type. Aman's name is terrible for me to spell. I normally skip that third 'a'. And of course, I'm a slacker, and thus cannot, for the life of me, properly spell Bethberry's name correctly.

Oh, and the missing accent is purposeful this time, to prove my slackerdom.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #74
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Right, CäptáìnôfDëspàír.

I often forget that Lhuna has an h. All this dropping of 'aitches here
Old 08-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #75
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
I often forget that Lhuna has an h. All this dropping of 'aitches here
I'm actually amazed that no one in Werewolf VII left the h out. And I haven't seen you leave it out either, Bb.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #76
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin

I have to say I have been guilty of missing an 'a.' I knew it was supposed to be there, and my mind projected it as there, but my fingers didn't make it happen. And I think it's still misspelled somewhere in a post...somewhere... I remember seeing it and feeling so bad...and stupid.
Good lord, dearling, calm down It isn't nice to type - much like my real name. But then, it looks wrong even when you spell it right. Hrm.

And I was hardly imaginative choosing my name... *cough*barrowdownsnamegenerator*cough*

Sometimes my own misspellings come about simply from skimping letters for undiscernible reasons - I mean, I managed to go through an entire RPG and only realised that I'd been spelling it's name right in the last few weeks. Ho hum.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #77
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
I'm actually amazed that no one in Werewolf VII left the h out. And I haven't seen you leave it out either, Bb.
That's because I most often c & p names, Hluna. Although I have been known to misspell piosenniel. I apparently like the name better with one 'e' replaced by an 'a'. I might try working on a defense that has to do with a great vowel shift in the elven languages. Spelling, after all, is an historic variable.

I have a feeling that Orominuialwen will be one a tricksome one. The name that is.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:59 AM   #78
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Hluna...has a more Quenya edge to it, as opposed to the Sindarin sound of Lhuna. Maybe I should start using Hluna.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #79
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, the problems with my name are what comes from using the BD name generator instead of thinking up a name on my own. Even I have had trouble with it, although moreso with pronunciation than spelling. I actually didn't learn how to pronounce it properly until I met David Salo and he was kind enough to show me how it should be said.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #80
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Another rather embarassing spelling-mistake: I actually just a few minutes ago noticed that Aman is Amanaduial the Archer, not Amanduial the Archer, which name made more sense to me... Oh no.

I also got my name from the bd name generator. I, fortunately, got an easy one to write and to pronounce...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote