The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2003, 02:19 PM   #1
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Silmaril Which Gender Prefers Fantasy...Girls or Guys?

I'm involved a fair amount of ongoing threads in Middle Earth Mayhem and the Quiz Room, and I'm finding that the majoraty of my fellow players are female. Is Lord of the Rings a more "female" book series (steryotpically speaking of course) or is it just that the certain threads I'm invloved in are more "female". I would think that fantasy and sci-fi would be more of a guy thing, with all the sword fighting and whatnot, but latley I've been wondering. So what about you? What do you think?
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 02:35 PM   #2
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

For the most part, more guys go for sci-fi and fantasy than girls. Maybe your experience has been different, but in my twenty years of life I'd say about four out of five sci-fi or fantasy freaks I've met have been guys.

Then there's Lord of the Rings.

LOTR seems to have more across the board appeal (probably because it's the greatest work of literature ever written). Out of all the LOTR freaks that I know, I'd say only half of them were guys (for you people that suck at math, that means there's an even number of guys and girls).

So yes, sci-fi and fantasy in general have more male fans (notice, I said in general, not all the time, so don't go posting, "you're wrong, I'm a girl and I like sci-fi and fantasy"). LOTR, however, is so great that it crosses all the lines.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

In my own experience, a greater number of girls have been interested in Tolkien's work, but a greater number of boys have been willing to immerse themselves deeply into his works (meaning, all the boys that like it really like it, but more girls like it in general).
Old 01-04-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suppose LOTR is slighty more romantic than most fantasy/sci-fi books, but I have to say, in this strange society that I live in, I have never come across another girl that likes LOTR, never ever. In fact, I dont come across that many girls hat have even HEARD of LOTR, that even knew that it was a book.

at least, i am the only one who will admitt it. I am PROUD of my obsession!
Old 01-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I think that most girls are into LotR because of the hot elf guy...am I right? I mean have you noticed that a lot of member names are like Orlando_is_hott or something. Not saying its a bad thing, he is! So maybe thats why Females are more into LotR than like Star Treck or something.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 PM   #6
Adastrea
Animated Skeleton

Adastrea has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think it's 50/50 just like everything else, it doesn't depend on gender.
But I do think that there has been a big boom in female fans since the films, and its not just down to the elf(I'm sure there is a dwarf fan out there somewhere!)
Old 01-04-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It has to be said that with the films being released, Fantasy has appealed to more females, which may or may not be a result of having a film about 9 companions-all male, and the presence of a certain elf and hobbit. (This is also shown on imdb.com where the total votes from members on LotR are a majority of females).

However, in general I would say that Science-fiction and Fantasy appeal more to males, even LotR. The books are certainly more popular with males and you will see more boys/men weilding a lightsabre than you will girls/women.

I can't say why it is how it is, but at least now more women are becoming interested. You can now see equal numbers of both the sexes reading LotR on the train/bus, and equal members of both in the cinema.

(And Faye, I believe I know just as many females who like Star Trek as I do that like Tolkien) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #8
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, an interesting thread. All my life I have found that 'fantasy' and sci-fi are very popular with boys (usually boys who are into computers and rock music but I'm aware we're treading dangerous stereotypes ground here). Girls always percieved me a little odd for my fondness for Tolkien but I have to say it is only Tolkien in the fantasy genre that I am really impressed with. I have test-driven a number of other authors and they always feel pale imitations. (This is also why apart from in RPGs I wouldn't write fantasy myself I could never do it justice.) Since the arrival of the film a few friends have come out of the woodwork and admitted they loved Tolkien too but like me it was percieved as 'for boys' so they kept quiet. This site is full of women who seem to come in two catagories; teen girlies who have a thing for Orli and those around 30 who may also have a thing for warrior types but read the book long ago and love it whether the movie was there or not.
Who knows? I think the person who said 50/50 mix is probably right, it just happens that statistically this site is weighted toward girls. I also think it's obvious I'm female when you read this because I ramble on with nought of import to say. Sorry, back to the RPGs for me.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:06 PM   #9
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my own personal experience, there are more girls who are really into LotR than boys. I know a lot of boys who have seen the movie and liked it, but of those who really delved deeper, into the books and far beyond, three-fourths have been girls. (Meaning that out of the four people I know like that...)

It's true that boys are generally more into sci-fi and fantasy, though that's certainly not true in my house. I've never played D&D but I've heard that it's mainly guys who play it. (LoL, Joel Stein said that boys don't let girls play it with them because the boys vent their pent-up anxieties when they play that sort of thing.) But like everybody has said, LotR crosses boundaries. Still, I certainly know more girls who are into the Lord of the Rings.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 01-04-2003, 05:48 PM   #10
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Hehe I bet you do! Just stating my opinion and I myself, like Frodo hehehe.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 06:47 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All of the people who have been in to Tolkien (and assorted other fantasy/sci-fi) that I have met in real life have been males (except for a few exceptions, like a teacher who was a major Star Trek fan)
Though when I went on the internet I found a lot more females. Maybe females are not as open about it (except Me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ), they don't talk about it unless they are asked, and males just openly talk about it or bring it up. I am glad that there is a large variety of people on this website, and I am also amazed at how LOTR/Tolkien appeals to such a large variety of people. You talk about it once and then the fans start coming out of the woodwork and they say "Oh I love those books".
Old 01-05-2003, 12:18 AM   #12
Hobbiton_Girl

Silmaril

In my experience, guys (mainly my brothers but also my guy friends) are more into Sci-Fi. Star Trek, X-Files, Stargate SG-1, and all that kind of thing mostly involving space. All my brothers though "Signs" was the scariest movie they had ever seen but I just thought it was sorta creepy.
Girls, however, are more into the Fantasy, like LOTR, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Never Ending Story, and things concerning other worlds where there are mythical creatures and there is a general mideval theme.
Star Wars is a toss up. Girls and Guys seem to like it the same! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 07:56 AM   #13
**sparkle fairy**
Pile O'Bones

**sparkle fairy** has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think girls prefer more elegant ones with beatuful creatures .i.e lord of the rings-the elves. and boys tend to like the evil ones like the orcs in lord of the rings
Old 01-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I know more girls than guys who like fantasy, but I guess the girls prefer the 'mushy' fantasy, ie. legends, romances, Beren and Luthien.
I know guys who are fans of Lord of the Rings, but I think they admire the special effects and the action sequences. They prefer Sci-fi fantasy rather than historical fantasy perhaps.
It depends on which aspect of fantasy you lean towards. I find that both genders appreciate fantasy, but in different ways.

Last edited by Meela; 11-26-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:09 PM   #15
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Purple Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with Meela that girls tend to be more into fantasy that sci-fi, even though i do occasionally read sci-fi and like programs like stargate SG1 etc.
Come to think of it though in my old school i was the only girl into these things, which i didn't really mind especially when i knew more than the guys and broke their steriotypes. But in my new place, which has far more people, i have hooked up with about three other girls who also like all things fantasy etc, as well as the guys.
But it was my mother who first read me the hobbit and introduced me to the Lord of the Rings, and for some weird reason i tend to assume that most of the people on here are also female, except of course the ones with obviously masculine names, and i was really suprised when looked on one persons profile and found they were a guy! maybe this is just me.
I would also like to add that I got into The Lord of the Rings before i saw the films, not saying that if you didn't its bad or anything, so was not influenced by a certain Mr Bloom, although he helps!, and what does it matter if we (girls) are anyway? Im sure some of the men out there like Arwen or Galadriel as much!
just some thoughts enjoy!
Old 01-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #16
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of the people I know, most couldn't care less about fantasy, sci-fi or Lord of the Rings. I know one girl who is into sci-fi generally, and several guys. My best friend does like LotR (entirely due to the movies, but I have persuaded her to try the books) and she likes some stuff like Buffy and Star Trek. Otherwise I don't know any women who like this kind of thing at all, though I know several guys who do.
I fall into Auriel's second category, of the 30 something women who have liked Tolkien for ages. I can't remember a time when I didn't love Tolkien's books, because they were read to me at a very young age - my father loves them(my mother hates them). I don't really go for any other fantasy or sci-fi stuff though, I'm afraid. I have enjoyed Terry Pratchett, and I like Star Trek TNG but that's about it.

I think it definitely appears to be a guy thing. Interestingly, when I went to see TTT on the first night, there were lots of men in the queue - pairs and small groups, and single men. The only women there (and I reckon they were outnumbered at least 5-1) were with men, and that includes me.

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Elanor ]
Old 01-05-2003, 03:57 PM   #17
Nibinlondwen
Pile O'Bones

Nibinlondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

you know what, i live in sweden and I am 15 of age, most of the lotr fans ive met are guys. but, i have the same oppinion as Phantom.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #18
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would tend to say that Guys like Fantasy more than girls. Think about it, big wars, and fights, in LOTR you have to read the appendix to hear about any love story. I believe that fantasy is great, but a lot of girls prefur romantic novels. I will agree that with the movies, the number of girls interested in fantasy has increased, but so has the number of boys (Eowyn, Arwen).
Old 01-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #19
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boys liking fantasy more than girls is a fantasy. I would wager that there are more girls who like fantasy than boys, and looking at some stock fantasy books in the book store, it is apparent that more girls are writing fantasy than boys as well. I took a look at the D&D novels at Barns and Nobles and was floored by how many female authors I came across. When I first saw it I remember thinking that the Last Unicorn was a chick flick (give me a break, I was like 14 when I first saw that movie). A friend of mine told me his D&D group was half and half across gender lines, and that the girls were often the better players.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #20
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Perhaps it is fair to say it used to be males who would enjoy Science-Fiction and Fantasy more than females but in an age where stereotypes are more and more common, it is also the age where people are becoming more proud of a stereotype given to them. In which case it would seem that women have an increasing interest in the genre [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:35 PM   #21
Sindafalathiel
Haunting Spirit

Sindafalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sindafalathiel
Sting

Quote:
This site is full of women who seem to come in two catagories; teen girlies who have a thing for Orli and those around 30 who may also have a thing for warrior types but read the book long ago and love it whether the movie was there or not.
I must be of a third, lesser type. I'm a teen, but I do not have a thing for any character. I just love a good story, and have been obsessed with fantasy for longer than I can remember..always off in my own world, where I am not laughed at for who I am. I am here because as soon as I join an RP group, I can be whomever I want..and finally, have friends who are like me.
"My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles." ~The Evil Overlord List
Sindafalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:00 PM   #22
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nobly said Sindafalathiel, the very reason I began writing for myself.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:00 PM   #23
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally I have not met one guy who likes LOTR and all the girls that I have met (excluding my bestfriends)only like LOTR cause the movie has Mr.Bloom in it! They have no appreciation for the books or haven't even read them!
As for who likes fantasy more, I couldn't really say cause I haven't met anyone, but my bestfriends, that have actually READ fantasy! Sad isn't it? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 11:48 PM   #24
lanrete
Pile O'Bones

lanrete has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm a female and I like fantasy more than my husband(he's more a sci-fi person). I've always been drawn to the mystical and unknown creatures like elves, dwarves, goblins, orcs.. and in the back of my head I think(or want to believe) that somewhere, sometime out there they do exist. I also happen to like RPGs... I first fell in love with them when I saw my brother-in-law(back then my sis' bf) playing Might & Magic III on the computer. LOVED THAT GAME and still remember the town tune up til this day. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
As much as I was into games and anything fantasy-related, I knew NO other girl who shared the same interests as I did. I suspect I would have liked D&D if I actually knew someone who played it.

So, going back to the topic, I think that girls DO like fantasy.. but are afraid to try it because it's a "guy's thing". However, guys are generally more into sci-fi than girls. Because all my life i've been surrounded by girls who were Not into fantasy and teachers who encouraged reading classics and only classics(LOTR was never on our school's list of TO-READ books), I've never heard of LOTR until I saw the 1st movie. I didn't think it was that great of movie on my first viewing but decided to pick up the book anyways due to its reputation. FOTR(the book) had some really boring parts and other REALLY good parts(my favorite chapters are Tom Bombadil and Lothlorien). TT and ROTK are both really good books - the best out there might I add -and I really thought TT the movie was bad in comparison to the book.
Unlike most other girls, I did not read the books because of Orlando Bloom(he's not even part of the reason), although I must admit he's mighty gorgeous and fine as Legolas [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: lanrete ]
lanrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:38 AM   #25
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I hope that as well as ruining the plot and moving the characters in stupid directions, the movie has opened the door even wider for the whole world no matter what they are!

Sorry that was letting it out..I think that we're about equal. My brother was all into the runes and gandalf things, but i love the elves. i do admit i threw myself in and probably will stay under all my live now! I give my whole spirit to things to easily, that's what my mum calls being a freak!

But in my experiences we're about equal us girls and them guys!
Old 01-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #26
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Sindafalathiel, I am so glad to know there is another like me out there! Fangirls who only like LotR because of Legolas get so irritating after a while!

Well, to the topic: I think that (generally, mind) girls are more into fantasy. But, just from my own observation, they tend to like the softer side of the genre (i.e. fairies, elves, unicorns, etc.). Boys, I think, can be into fantasy as well, but more for the war-like aspects (Helm's Deep, to give a Rings example) and action. But then, well, I'm in the library at my school writing this, and at the tables behind my are quite a few groups of guys playing TCG games like Magic. So, the gender line in fantasy seems to split fairly evenly (50/50), but for sci-fi, I think boys have the majority.

In reference to what I said about girls liking the softer side of fantasy (in most cases), I must bring up the fact that I'm something of an inconsistancy: I've *never* liked light fantasy, give me fighting and lots of it. I have a tremendous fondness for the Bad Guys, and I love dragons, fire, doom, destruction, etc. So, how weird am I?

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 01-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #27
anduin angel 44
Pile O'Bones

anduin angel 44 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i am not sure about that. i thought guys would like it better, but I'm finding out that girls can be just as into it as guys can.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:51 PM   #28
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Before the movies came out, I couldn't find ANYONE, whether boy or girl, who liked LOTR.

I have a couple friends who like it because the actors are cute, but as for girls liking it because of elves, etc. I can't relate to that, as most of my LOTR friends and myself enjoy it for all the swordfights. I think that's because I never had a sister.

I'm finding that it's about 50/50 here, but in my own life it's mainly girls who like it, and they like it for the swords, battles, etc.