The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting The Tale of Tinuviel

I recently read The Tale of Tinuviel and thought it was another excellent example of J.R.R. Tolkien's mastery in literature (ooo pretty sentence [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]). I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it. Feel free to discuss anything you think about the story!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:47 PM   #2
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

The Tale of Tinuviel was probably one my favourite bits in the Silmarillion at least, although I loved the part where Aragorn told it to the Hobbits.

I just think it's such a sweet story, and although the end is kind of happy, since Luthien is reunited with Beren, it's still a little sad (I get choked up anyway, maybe I'm the only one) because you know they're going to die and it's so SWEET.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Yeah, when I finished reading it I was like "Man, that was a sad story!" I didn't think it was going to end that way, I thought it was going to have a "happily everafter" fairytale ending! I think part of what makes it such a great tale is the fact that it doesn't end with the "happily everafter" crap! That never happens in real life and shouldn't so often in tales. Also, it wasn't a sappy love story and had adventure and action in it, if it was just like "I love you Tinuviel" "Oh, and love you too Beren" kissy kissy "No, Beren can not marry you Tinuviel!" "No father" cry cry "I am now going to wander in the woods and die!" cry cry...okay, you get my drift. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 03:58 PM   #4
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Yes, to my mind, bittersweet endings are always better. (Although of course, it often depends on the book - but the ones I read tend to be better with bittersweet endings - Anyone read the Dark Materials trilogy [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

In any case, it's that that gets me every time at the end of Lord of the Rings. I KNOW it's a good thing for Frodo that he's off to Valinor, but yet...it's so sad that he's leaving behind everything he knows.

It's this that shows through in the Tale of Tinuviel, the love that they have is so sweet and so happy, and Luthien is willing to die for Beren.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] There is no smiley that does a happy and sad face at the same time! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

600 posts...
Old 12-03-2002, 04:21 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Yeah, bittersweet... Did you think of Thingol as mean? I didn't really think he was "mean" he just thought he was protecting his daughter, elves can be kinda arrogant!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:54 PM   #6
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

<---------look at my SN. ^_^

Arguably Tolkien's greatest work, on his tombstone it's written "Here lies Beren" and on his wife's it reads "Here lies Luthein". In my opinion the best love story ever told.

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

If you liked the Tale of Tinuviel in Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales, check out the Lays of Beleriand where it's rendered in poetry, at least two versions!

Ever notice how the Silmarils have the same kind of draw on Thingol (and others) as the Ring on Gollum and others?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:38 AM   #8
Earendil evening star
Animated Skeleton

Earendil evening star has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved the story when Aragorn told the hobbits in the book and i've always wondered what kind of bittersweet music would do justice to those words.
I don't completely understand the story though and i really need to get my hands on the Silmarillion (hints strongly to *varda*)
Also if any of you have read His Dark Materials trilogy it is fantastic and one of it's big impacts is the bittersweet ending. I think that is why i remember it so well and i think that's why the story of Tinuviel stays in the memory of someone who has read the book, because you know that you can't change it.
luv
elise xxx
Old 12-04-2002, 11:38 AM   #9
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

I thought that having Beren and Luthien written on their graves was so sweet! (yes...I use that word too much...)

I think Thingol was really just being an overprotective father. Luthien was his only daughter (only child, I think?) so of course he wouldn't be best pleased at giving her up. Even more angry that it would be to a mortal. At least if Luthien married an elf, she could eventually go to Valinor, but Beren ruled out that possibility.

So I understand why Thingol did what he did...although telling Beren to go on a virtually impossible quest that was almost a certainty of death was a tad evil.

But blame the Silmaril. I mean, most people wanted one.