The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2003, 06:49 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting Theater Strangeness...

I have heard so many strange things said in the movie theater during the LOTR films. Whether it's from some strange dude in front of you who seems to like Legolas, or your friend, husband, wife, dog, whatever, it's funny. Sometimes you have to be there, but...I was wondering what you guys have experienced. One of the funniest things my friend said. (I've told people about this before...) When Haldir shows up at Helm's Deep and says stuff about honoring that allegiance, she says, "He looks like a fat drag queen."

Funny?
Eh?
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

My cousin went to see the FOTR with my grandmother. This had to be about the fifteenth time she had seen it. About the middle of the movie she stood up, looked at the people in the theater ( there wern't too many) and asked, " How many of you have seen this more than once?"

About the first time I saw the FOTR I was astonished to see Ageint Smith cavorting around in an Elf costume. I think one of these times I did say "As you can see Mr. Anderson, we've been watching you for quite some time."

Other than that in TTT some dude got kickedout because he wouldn't move one seat over.

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: Annalaliath ]
Old 05-15-2003, 07:07 PM   #3
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

One of the times I saw TTT there was a man in the back who started crying really loudly when Arwen told Elrond she would go to the undying lands [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] , it was a sad sight, he was like thirty. Another time, same movie, a few people showed up dressed up as orcs, needless to say, the security made them give up their weapons at the door, yes, they had "orcish" knives.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:14 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a pretty dull theatre life. Except the time I dressed up as Eowyn, with the little headband on my forehead and all. Nobody else dresses up.
The most we ever get in the way of loud comments is when my cranky friend turns round and yells at the little kids to shut up cos they keep shrieking or yapping or telling their parents the plot every two seconds.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:11 AM   #5
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was seeing TTT for the first time and I was with my Dad (I always see the LOTR movies with my Dad. Ritual.) and there was this really annoying couple just in fron of us. They kept giggling every five seconds muttering about, "How stupid the movie is" and "why would anyone want to see this unbelievable crap".
A quarter of the way through I got fed up, so I kicked the chair, they turned around, and I told them to shutup or leave, and if they don't shutup I will get the usher on them.
A bit rude, I know, but I was trying to see the movie and if they didn't want to see it anyway, why did they come in?
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #6
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Well this is more sad then funny, but when I saw TTT there was a man in the row next to us that fell fast asleep. I mean he was snoring, and everything. I wanted to go wake him up and tell him he was missing the best movie of his life, but I was restrained. (Stupid friends [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img].)

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: Trippo The Hippo ]
Old 05-16-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I took my really annoying 8 year old cousin to see TTT. Big mistake.
He'd been alright watching the extended dvd, but there was a half hour break for him, so I stupidly agreed to take him to see TTT at the cinema. He was awful. I hardly ever buy sweets, cause the noise is annoying, but he wanted them, so I did.
The whole way through he was making unbelievable amount of noise, not to mention the fact that his eating was noisy too. And at all the fight scenes he was practially jumping out his seat, attempting to copy the characters. (Very very badly.) I almost screamed at him, but instead just gave him a harsh warning and my evilest look. Afterwards, I asked him what it was about, and he said "fighting". Couldn't comment on anything else.
Needless to say, I've never taken him to the cinema again. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] And he calls the characters "the guy with the sword" and stuff like that.

The second time I saw TTT there were loads of chavvy guys in the back, and whenever Arwen came on they be all "whey!!!" and they, of course, slagged Legolas. And to my horror, started cheering and shouting when Haldir died.

Oh, and my friend, who's not a LOTR fan, had been told that Arwen was Aragorn's daughter. Big shock for her at the love scene. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 10:18 AM   #8
SilverEmbers
Pile O'Bones

SilverEmbers has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When i went to see FOTR for the first time, i was absoulotly spellboud and i got realy into it. I couldnt stop crying when boromir died! Like, realy, heaving sobs, couldnt breath crying. My friend had to comfort me because everyone was giving us odd looks... my bad!
Old 05-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Maegaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do you remember the part in FOTR when the camera gives this great close-up on the statues of Aragorn's ancestors near Amon Hen? (yes, I sound pathetic because I don't know what the statues are called. I'm a bad LOTR fan! *sob sob*) Anyway, when that scene came on, everyone in my row busted out singing 'STOP! In the Naaaame of loooooove, before you breaaaak my heeaaaarrrt!!' Look at the statues and you'll see why. We got several jujubees and m&m's in the head for that.

Then, when my friends and I went to go see TTT, one of my friends had seen it already and kept ruining the surprises for us. Between him doing that and me MST-ing everything else (MST= Mystery Science Theatre, means I poked fun at things, terribly disrespectful, I know.) my other friend was about to go nuts.

Ah yes, we have fun in the theatre. We've got a bet going on how long it will be before the manager puts a restraining order on us.

~Maegaladiel
Round ears are for wimps!
Maegaladiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:46 PM   #10
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Once I went to see TTT with three of my friends, who for the sake of argument I shall call Legolassian, Frodolassian and notsure. when it came to the bit in Osgiliath where Frodo is holding sting to Sam's neck and Sam says "It's me, it's your Sam, don't you know your Sam?" Frodolassian and notsure started to do a little dance to go with the words, and Legolassian was laughing her head off. I sat there desprately tring to keep a streight face.
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

MY mom and 10 year old nephew came to see TTT with me, my goodness it was fun but exasperating at times! First, my nephew was ready to evacuate the theater during the marshes scene because although I told him the outcome of the story, he thought Gollum was going to kill Sam and Frodo. Then when any new male character was introduced, he asked me if it was Boromir's brother. My mom went "tsk tsk tsk" during the Arwen/Aragorn scenes and I nearly exploded, cause she does that with any kiss scene in movies or TV shows. She thought for a minute there were two Gollums, and then my nephew was jumping up and down out of his seat during the battle scenes. Fortunately there was no one else there but us [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

P.S. When he first saw FotR, he also referred to the characters as *ahem*

Aragorn: Sword Guy

Gimli: Axe Man

Legolas: blonde guy who shoots orbits

Merry & Pippin: Those two little bratty guys

Sam: Frodo's friend

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: Shy Hobbit ]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
skadork
Pile O'Bones

skadork has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, one of the times I went to see Two Towers, a guy & some girls came in & well, I sure pitied the guy. Through practically the whole show he was having to explain everything...at least 2 or 3 times before they understood! ah me! why some people even bother with things like that, I'll probably never know...oh well.

longlive the amish!
skadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

When I went to see TTT the first time someone said "I thought they killed the dragon" when the nazgul flew over and someone (I think it was the same person [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) said "Oops" when Aragorn yelled at that guy at helm's deep.

Another time when I was watching FOTR at a sort of dinner party thing (so everyone was eating at the time), right after Gimli said "and my axe" my dad said "And my fork!" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #14
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

When I went to see FOTR with my mom and my friend, poor thing, my friend had never read the books or seen the movie. So throughout that movie, she was holding on to my mom's arm for dear life.

When I went to TTT, nothing really happened, except I saw my 7th grade science teather, kinda weird.... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I symphasize with all those with relatives who are too young to pronouce names. Mine nieces and nephews reffer to them as:

Legolas: Bow and Arrow Guy
Frodo: ****'s lover boy (I have a crush on Elijah ok!)
Gandalf: Wizard Guy
Old 05-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #15
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

My best Friend Katelyn went to see FOTR with are friend Sara( no I didn’t go) and when “Gandalf dies” they just started laughing( don’t ask). My friend heard the two old ladies they were sitting my say “Poor Dears” because they thought that my friends were crying because ethey were laughing so hard.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:34 AM   #16
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When in TTT Éowyn hugs Aragorn at the end, My best friend Mina got up and yelled "Cheater!" she sat down and continued talking and throwing popcorn at the screen. "Just when I thought Aragorn was cool he goes and CHEATS on Arwen! my god! no wonder Elrond wouldnt let Arwen stay in Middle Earth, he knew Aragron was a cheater!"

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:24 AM   #17
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, this is a little bit of a long story, but I don't think anything like this has happened to you.
I attended the screening of TTT down in Portland Oregon that was attended by Sean Astin. Now Sean talked for about 45 minutes answering all sorts of questions and inquiries about his life and career. When he was done and he had made his grand exit, the entire crowd was very pumped up and excited (this is the way people usually are when they have just had this kind of experience). They started the movie and of course the crowd was clapping all the time, especially whenever a charater made their first appearance on screen. I actually thought this was really great (because I had been to many showings where people were not as involved in the film as I would have liked). But midway through the film people started yelling out stuff when certain parts happened. Like one of the most notable was when Eowyn is swinging the sword around and Aragorn comes over and says that she has great skill with a blade. Then she talks about how women of Rohan do not fear battle or death, and then Aragorn asks "Well what do you fear then" and when she answered a large group of people in the theater yelled out...
"CLOWNS!"
Now everyone knows that she said a "cage", but I actually thought that saying clowns was kind of funny. But it ended up that the manager was sitting in on the screening and watching the movie for the first time (which is his and only fault, he should have seen it before, he works for a movie theater for gosh sakes!) So I guess he sent a message up to the projector person and they stopped the Movie! We were all very surprised at this. At first I thought (because it was after midnight) that it was the time that the theater had to close, so they were not going to show the rest of the film (I would not have been mad about this, I definitely got my money's worth with Sean Astin just being there). But it actually was because we were too noisy. The manager got up, gave us a lecture about how this was not the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and how we should be more respectful because people were actually trying to watch the film. After this I barely heard a peep in the theater until after the film was over [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] which I actually was not really happy about, because being involved with the film is very, very fun.

Note: It is not that I condone this kind of behavior during movies. I just think that if you have seen the film a few times, and most of the theater has seen it a few times. That it is a great idea to be involved with what is occuring on screen. And besides we had some very big fans attend this screening, there were people dressed in costume (there was an Aragorn and Arwen that were amazing) and multiple people wearing clokes (I had my Lorien pin, and I was not the only one)
Old 05-17-2003, 01:34 AM   #18
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

..i DONT... Mayhem is the essence of life.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-17-2003, 04:42 AM   #19
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

(In a small voice) I MST...often. Everything I watch. The last time I saw TTT (before it was out of theaters, alas!) The theater was almost empty. My brother and I were so sad. If the theater were empty we could have heckled all we wanted. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
A line of Wormtongue's: "They will have fruits...and vegetables!"
When I went to TTT the first time, (the first day actually!) when the trailer for Pirates of the Carribean came on, a few girls squealed when Orlando Bloom's name came up.
Two or three people were dressed as hobbits, with the cloaks and ears.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 07:29 AM   #20
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aww, I'd love to dress up to go see it! But no one here seems to do that, so I'd just be 'that sad LOTR geek' that everyone would point at. *sigh* And I have a dress and everything...
Old 05-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #21
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

To Lossentilien: SOLUTION!

Go with a group of LOTR obsessed friends. Then you can laugh and point at the people who aren't dressing up!
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #22
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hmmmm...I'm glad I don't have this problem. I avoid my cousins who are younger than me. And my brother is only two years younger than me, and he loves LOTR too...so, I'm lucky... Really the worst thing is other people's kids at the theater cuz you can't exactly smack them and tell them to shut up. Really, my experiences are funny when they happen, not just after. Usually it's just things people say. Like in FOTR, sometime during the Aragorn and Arwen love scene (can't remember when exactly) some guy in the front yells out a certain male body part. It was funny, but it didn't really disturb the movie to much and I'd already seen it about 3 times. It was funny...if you are immature enough for hat kind of humor, which I am.

Cool. I started a thread and it hasn't died within two days. YAY!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:37 PM   #23
Mirabella
Pile O'Bones

Mirabella has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Whene my friend cane with me to see TTT, we literaly could not sit still, and were climbing all over our seats.
this is pitiful: I went to see FoTR befor I read the books, and *sobs* I *sobs* I *sobs* I couldn't tell Aragorn and Boromir apart! *sobs helplessly into kleanex*

B.T.W. Maegaladiel, I love your sig! And- Err- uhh- *trys to loosten coller* Err- It was me. Hey! He had on a face musach!!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Sorry.

COOL!! I've never seen my nose do *that* befor!!!!
Mirabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:22 PM   #24
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

Quote:
this is pitiful: I went to see FoTR befor I read the books, and *sobs* I *sobs* I *sobs* I couldn't tell Aragorn and Boromir apart! *sobs helplessly into kleanex*
*gives mirabella another kleenex*

That's ok, if I hadn't read the books I probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart either, they are very similar. they both have shaggy greasy hair and look like they haven't shaved for a week...which they probably haven't... oh dear I'm off topic, I will be quiet now.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:34 PM   #25
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

Don't feel bad Mirabella, even after I had read the books, I couldn't tell the difference between Merry and Pippin. (At first glance, they look very similar.) But, after I had seen FOTR a few times, (and seen a bunch of pics) I could discern between those two.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:07 PM   #26
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay. The second time I saw TTT, I went with my best friends, and as Aragorn starts to talk to the kid at Helm's Deep and the kid says "Haleth, son of Hameth" (or whatever, I'll get the names right when I buy the video), one of my friends says (rather loudly) "SON? Not DAUGHTER?" (Well, he did have long hair!)
In the same showing, just when Gollum says "Maybe She could do it", someone across the aisle wondered out loud "Who's SHE?"

*shrugs* Not too interesting, whatever.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:28 PM   #27
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Whos she?...
mememe... now thats funny. I told my friend about my post here and she seems to think that she was perfectly in the right informing everyone Aragorn was a cheater.

~My lord, Éomer~