The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #41
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
But, Alfirin, he was the King of Angmar in the Third Age– long after becoming a wraith.

True, but I still feel that The lord was proably a king before taking the Ring, Sauron is title coscios enough that he wouldn't put a commoner in chrage over royalty and we KNOW Khamul was a king while alive.

But all Ringwraiths are "loyal"– in fact they are completely subject to Sauron's will. There's no "most loyal". I'd think he'd give command to whoever happened to be the best wraith for the job.
by "most loyal" I meant most loyal while they lived and had free will. But I see your point as well

Also what about Herumor and Fuinur the two addtional Numernorean who sauron gave "other powers" so that they could become kings amoung the Haradrim. It seems to me that the reason they were not given rings (after all having a Wraith kings amoung the Haradrim migh have been useful to Sauron paricularly if one ruled near Harad and one Far Harad in the same manner as Angmar.) was simply becuse Sauron had no more rings to give
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #42
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
The concept art of Dol Guldur posted earlier just reeked of 'generic spiky black walled Mordor fortress'. Why should all of Sauron's strongholds have identical, generic architecture? In my opinion, Dol Guldur, just like Minas Morgul, should have an appearance distinct from Barad-dur and the Black Gates. Something like a tall 'Sorcerer's Tower'(from where the Necromancer could survey his surroundings) at the centre of Amon Lanc, surrounded by a layer of walls and many entrances into the underground dungeons. This, in turn, would be surrounded by a 'Dark forest'(corrupted by Sauron's power, filled with strange beasts and Black Huorns).
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #43
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
True, but I still feel that The lord was proably a king before taking the Ring, Sauron is title coscios enough that he wouldn't put a commoner in chrage over royalty and we KNOW Khamul was a king while alive.
What's your source for that, Alfirin? I can't find anything about it in UT.

Btw– you need to fix up your tags– you've got that comment inside a quote from me.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #44
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
This discussion seems to be going a bit off-topic...

Anyway, I always imagined Dol Guldur being both on the surface and underground - a sort of basic fortress structure on the top, and then a much bigger and more complex set of prisons and other foul places beneath the surface. It would sort of get more evil the further down you went.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #45
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
What's your source for that, Alfirin? I can't find anything about it in UT.

Btw– you need to fix up your tags– you've got that comment inside a quote from me.
I was using my copy of The A-Z of tolkein. But based on you comments I'm putting it away as this is the second time that something it has said has lead me down the absolutely wrong road. my apologies for the tag in tag too I'n still not very good at posting and assumed it would split the quote when I posted between
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #46
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
2251 - Tar-Atanamir takes the sceptre. Rebellion and division of the Númenoreans begins. About this time the Nazgul or Ringwraiths, slaves of the Nine Rings, first appear.
You know, the events in this annal might not be unrelated. Could Numenorean Nazgul in fact have been acting as Sauronian agants in Numenor, leading to the said division?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #47
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghazi View Post
[Witch-King was] Numenorean? Show me.
Three of the nazgul were Numenorean Lords.
Even Sauron, when he had to choose a man for a high position, preferred Numenoreans (Mouth of Sauron)

The Witch-King was the tallest of the Nine - and Numenoreans, as we know, are normally very tall, taller than non-Numenoreans. Also in Tolkien's world (funny as it sounds) the taller, the nobler.

Also look how differently the nazgul speak Westron, which is derived from Numenorean Adunaic.
Khamul the Easterling spoke Westron haltingly, with foreign accent (the Gaffer:"It was one of the Big Folk from foreign parts. He spoke funny."). Khamul used simple sentences: “I come from yonder,” “Have you seen Baggins?” “Baggins has left,” “He is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold.”

Now compare it to the Witch-Kings grand style: "Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
Here we have a native Adunaic-speaker.

In the LOTR drafts published in HOME 6-8, all the wizards were Men - of a "noble profession", but the Wizard-King was specifically said to be a Man from Numenor:
Quote:
"Denetor and Faramir marvel at Gandalf's power over Nazgul. Gandalf says things are still not so bad - because the Wizard King has not yet appeared. He reveals that he is a renegade of his own order...from Numenor. 'So far I have saved myself from him only by flight'...""The War of the Ring" p.326.
But we don't really need assumptions anymore. There is new evidence published in Tolkien Reader's Companion p.20.

Quote:
The name and origin of the Witch-king is not recorded, but he was probably (like the Lieutenant of Barad-dur) of Numenorean descent.
- Tolkien's manuscript of "Nomenclature"

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
You know, the events in this annal might not be unrelated. Could Numenorean Nazgul in fact have been acting as Sauronian agants in Numenor, leading to the said division?
That's what Alcuin's theory is about http://www.zarkanya.net/Tolkien/origins_of_Nazgul.htm
Other theories are discussed here: http://www.minastirith.com/cgi-bin/u...c;f=1;t=002315

Last edited by Gordis; 02-21-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #48
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
Also look how differently the nazgul speak Westron, which is derived from Numenorean Adunaic.
Khamul the Easterling spoke Westron haltingly, with foreign accent (the Gaffer:"It was one of the Big Folk from foreign parts. He spoke funny."). Khamul used simple sentences: “I come from yonder,” “Have you seen Baggins?” “Baggins has left,” “He is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold.”
Yes, he does sound rather as if he's just been consulting the Lonely Middle-earth Westron Phrasebook, doesn't he?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #49
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I could have sworn I have posted in this thread a few days ago - and my post shows as the last one. But why can't I see it?

Edit: now when I have posted, my post and Nerwen's post have magically reappeared. - A bug?

Quote:
Nerwen: Yes, he does sound rather as if he's just been consulting the Lonely Middle-earth Westron Phrasebook
Wery probably such-like existed in Mordor libraries...

Last edited by Gordis; 02-25-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote