The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #81
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran View Post
I believe having John Rhys Davies sat in Denethor's throne was a reference to the movie's early days of production, when John Rhys Davies was indeed going to play Denethor.
As usual my post is completely ignored
Old 01-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #82
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We were always taught, as children, to be respectful of others and their property. We were to knock at the door, and wait until asked in before entering, even if this were a family member's house. Even if we were asked to enter, we were trained to wait until a person was visible before stepping much beyond the foyer. Even when asked to 'make oneself at home,' we were to show restraint, as it never would be 'our home.' At home you might put your feet up and eat all of the cookies, but in someone else's life this, to me, is rude (and if I were truly were to make myself at home, I'd kick the owners out and get out the paint brushes and cans). I've been training my children to do the same.

Is this overkill in today's world? I personally am annoyed (oh, I mean more than usual) when a child who should know better comes into the house and begins to act as if he/she lived there. Trust me, I have enough who behave as if they 'lived there' - they do, and they think that I live to serve them.

I can only assume that all of these children have watched Peter Jackson's Gimli sitting in Denethor's throne and figured, well, monkey see...