The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril What would have happened to Nenya if Galadriel took the One Ring?

Would Nenya be absorbed by the One Ring?

Would Galadriel throw it away, now that she had the One Ring?

Would Nenya's power be increased?

What?????
Old 03-07-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nothing would have happened.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:21 PM   #3
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

not true,
sauron wanted the elven rings so that he could increase his power.

if Galadrial took the one ring, she would have been even more powerfull
Old 03-08-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
Mimosa Took

Sting

Sauron recovered all the dwarf rings, what did he do with them? I would assume they increased his power, or when he recovered the One Ring he could have given them away to enslave new bearers. Perhaps Galadriel could have done the same with Nenya? Given it to someone else for her to control them? (assuming post-Ring evil Galadriel here)
Old 03-08-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The question is about Nenya, not Galadriel. Nothing would have happened to Nenya.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:16 PM   #6
Mimosa Took

Sting

Actually, the question was also "what would Galadriel do with Nenya if she had the One Ring, throw it away?" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Nenya was subject to the One Ring, so what happened to it would depend on whether Galadriel chose to keep it or give it to someone else. Nenya itself wouldn't cease to exist, no.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #7
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hm. I like these questions. They touch on the nature of the rings, and the nature of Galadriel.

There are two questions here:

1 - Would Nenya change, and if so, how?
2 - "Would Galadriel throw it away, now that she had the One Ring?" What would Galadriel do with her 'spare' lesser ring?

The answer lies in the nature of the One Ring. Since it gives power according to the stature of its bearer, it obviously acts differently with each owner. If Galadriel's long use of Nenya attunes that ring to her (or vice versa), then Nenya could be more closely tied to the One Ring if Galadriel had the One Ring. It could possibly make it stronger, or warp Nenya. The Elven rings were unsullied by the hand of Sauron, and freed from the influence of the One Ring while its wearer hadn't much power. Were Galadriel the Dark Lord (Lady?), clearly that would no longer hold true. For Nenya at least.

As for what Galadriel would do, we have to go back again to the nature of the One Ring. It's manipulative, that ring. It bends and corrupts wherever it can find a weakness, rather than creating weaknesses that aren't there.

So what are Galadriel's weaknesses?

The first is her pride.
Currently it is queenly dignity and a regal bearing, but it could easily grow to be someone whom you dare not cross under any circumstances. (Think 'Queen of Hearts' in Alice in Wonderland.)

Second is her loyalty to Elvenkind, especially her kin.
She did not swear Feanor's oath, but she left with him. That kind of loyalty could become bigotry and repression of other races. Perhaps even slavery and revenge for wrongs long past.

Third is her desire to preserve the past.
Yes, that can be a good thing. But can you imagine if preserving the past meant suppressing anything new and different, unvetted by her?

These are her main 'faults' that seem ripe for twisting by the One Ring.

In that case, her strong desire to preserve the past would dictate that she would wear both rings. It's unlikely she would trust that all-important preservation to the hands of another.

If she had Sauron's personality, she would give it away to ensnare another. But they are very different from eachother. Sauron desires power. She desires control. They're not quite the same. Those who desire power know you can increase it by delegating. While Galadriel would become Middle Earth's worst kind of micro-manager.

So the One Ring would dominate Nenya, corrupt it, and work in concert with it. Even if the Dark Lady Galadriel were defeated, you would probably never free Nenya from the influence and corruption of the One Ring.

- Maril
Old 03-08-2003, 07:35 PM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
not true,
sauron wanted the elven rings so that he could increase his power.
if Galadrial took the one ring, she would have been even more powerfull

Sauron wanted the elves, not necessarily the power of their rings. With his one ring he could have descried where the elvish enclaves were - seen into their minds - und hence, destroy them, enslave them. Which was probably one of the first things on his 'to do' list, which provides the foremost necessity of hiding the three.

Re: Nenya, I do not think the elven rings were coherent (for lack of a better word) in the way we see the One Ring appearing, rather I believe they simply work one way, and only using the powers with which they were imbued. Even the One Ring might do good deeds for a short time, in the same vein I believe that Nenya, Narya and Vilya could all do evil with their powers, depending on the heart of the wielder - the difference is that I don't believe the three would convert a evil mind to good, whereas in vice versa that is the major dilemna.

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"If Galadriel took the One Ring she would have become even more powerful."

Really?
Old 03-09-2003, 03:12 PM   #10
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Sauron recovered all the dwarf rings, what did he do with them? I would assume they increased his power..
They didn't increase Sauron's power, or he would not have given them away. He did in fact send messengers to offer one of the dwarven rings to Dain, in exchange for information about the location of the one ring "this least little trifle.. he fancies."

- Maril