The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #14
Salk

Sting

Hello again! Of course I wouldn't mind clarifying what I meant in my last post although I fear my limited capacity of expressing myself in english won't give the idea. First one thing: I didn't mean that Tolkien drew Boromir poorly. Not at all. He drew him wonderfully. I don't think that Tolkien hated Boromir just the way Conan Dyle hated Sherlock Holmes. I just think Boromir's role in the fellowship was the most ungrateful one. You can understand this from many small things and details which I cannot report here now. But you all must have realized that in the fellowship people look at Boromir often with almost hostile like eyes. This because he's the one that is less easily "tamed" by the authority of the leader (Gandlaf) and his right arm (Aragorn). He, shining in a magnificent dignity of the noblest of the humans, cannot yet keep himself from expressing his opinions, discussing the future and the path they're choosing. He cannot just lower his head and follow because he's genuine in his feelings. He sort of get scolded often for "not behaving" so to say, and almost never the author exalts his qualities (but for his tragic death...). If you think well, he's never really told plainly why his idea of how to use the Ring against the Dark Lord is wrong. They limit themselves to sort of "...your mind cannot understand this. It's beyond your capacity...". I don't blame him for thinking that this doesn't suffice and that this is not enough to make me change my mind. And who can blame him for trying to persuade the rest of the fellowship from taking a different decision about the Ring ? Who can blame him for proudly (but with extreme dignity and even humbleness, I'd dare say) point out that it was Gondor, at the cost of many human lives, that defended all the rest of the Middle Earth from the close menace of Sauron. How long have they fought without any direct help ? How longer could he ever think Minas Tirith might resist against the horde of evil ? We readers all know that the good solution is destroying the ring on Mt. Doom but think of his present situation at the time of the story. And also one very important thing: I spoke of good solution but I'd better say the least bad. Think about the consequences that the world face after the success of the mission. How much Middle Earth withered!! The elves leave the forest, the rings lose their powers because of the loss of the "one"...there is a general feeling that the quality of the living will be much lower now that everything is over. Even on the Shire where Saruman easily succeded deceiving the hobbits, things didn't magically become perfect as the ring was destroyed (more the opposite, we can say). Well...I don't know if I could explain something more with these lines or if I could do it better but I do hope so. Regards to you all...