The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2002, 01:29 PM   #1
Ellesime

Silmaril Scariest thing in Middle Earth...

I always thought Shelob was very grusesome but those Watcher's gave me nightmares for ages! What were they exactly, and what gave you the most creeps?
By the way I'm new here and I'm only 14 so try not to give me a hard time [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 01:35 PM   #2
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Thumbs up

Ha ha! Don't worry, most people at the Downs are not mean. There are many fightening aspects of Tolkeins books to me. On of these parts has to be when the enemy was chucking heads into Gondor. That really freaked me out. Also the death of Denthor I could almost hear and see everything very vividly. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:38 PM   #3
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The ringwraiths scared the tar out of me in the movie-probably because the horses squealed and that was freaky.

But, in the books, I found Shelob pretty spooky, although in some aspects, I found her intriguing. (That scared me even more.) Sauron was pretty scary too because he was like, the menacing over-lord that could be lurking around every corner. ^.^

Sincerely,
Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:11 PM   #4
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I keep a lot of, erm, spider plants, and have one on a wall bracket...it casts some weird reflections on the wall and not the best thing to look at when reading the chapter shelob's lair!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Has anyone ever seen a spider wrap up a bug and drag it away again? and not on TV! (squeals as memory returns...) [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
Oliphaunt
Animated Skeleton

Oliphaunt has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I find the Barrow-Wight intensely frightening.
Oliphaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:17 PM   #6
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

The Ring. *shudder* "Bagginssss...."

In the film, the Ringwriaths gave me the chills, too. Shelob spooked me in the books and so did that Palantir. (Poor Pippin!)

But nothing compares to that feakish Ring! *shivers*
Old 02-14-2002, 03:34 PM   #7
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I agree with you Rosa...That ring was pretty dang frightening! And to think I want to get one (I saw it in a Skymall catalog)! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 04:46 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Shelob takes top honors for grossness, Gollum for creepiness, and Saruman for sheer malice. Old Man Willow deserves an honorable mention. Never thought a tree could be so ravenous and cunning.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:59 PM   #9
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't like bugs; Shelob is scary, but her mom from the Silmarillion is even scarier. I can imagine sitting at the feast of the Valar celebrating the new harvest, looking out over the golden fields of Yavanna and gazing at the light of the two trees. Then the shadow of Ungoliant blocks out the light of the trees and a great darkness, like towers of gloom, shoots into the sky. The source of light in Middle Earth has been destroyed. I look to where the trees used to stand; the cloud of Ungoliant is blacker than the darkness that covers the world and is moving towards me. The darkness is more than a lack of light, it is tangible, piercing the eye and entering into my heart and mind. The unlight of Ungoliant swells to a vast cloud as she drinks the sap of the trees and drains the wells of Varda. The image is terrifying, even the Valar were afraid.

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 05:03 PM   #10
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'd hafta say the Wolf of Angband Carcharoth i think his name was after he ate Beren's hand and went crazy because of the Silmaril. I mean that just wierded me out thinkin of a gigantic wolf thrashin about killing everythin it sees.... including Huan.. poor guy that dog was cool too..
Old 02-14-2002, 05:47 PM   #11
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the books, nothing scared me. It takes a lot to freak me out, okay. The movie, the Uruk-Hai's "birth" was just plain gross.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 05:49 PM   #12
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

For me, the most frightening things were:

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Gollum in "The Hobbit"
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] The spiders in "The Hobbit:
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] The Ring
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] The palantir
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] The Black Riders

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:58 PM   #13
calenfaniel

Sting

What scared me, was the Ents. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It wasn't that I was afraid of them, but I remember one time I was reading the part where the Ent-Moot was over, and they were moving through the forest. Then I read: "There was a noise like wind in many branches.", and the wind was blowing really hard outside, and there are trees outside my window. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It's silly, but for some reason it freaked me out.

But, I have to say that the scariest thing is the actual Ring itself, that and the marshes with the dead faces. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] freaky. And the Ring Wraiths, yes they're quite disturbing also. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 09:13 PM   #14
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Now that I think of it...the ring was scary. I know I would be really paranoid about handling something like that. I would be playing hot-potato with the rest of the fellowship.

"Here! you hold it!"

"No! You!"

"No! I don't want it!! You hold it!!"
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:20 PM   #15
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The whole scene with Shelob pouncing on Frodo, and then Sam being left all alone. And having to get past the Watchers and go through Cirith Ungol looking for Frodo.

Pippin and Merry in the hands of the Uruk-Hai.

Also the suicide of Denethor and the attempted murder of Faramir.

I guess nothing in LOTR is really scary in the typical "Stephen King" scary way. But you care so much for the characters that you hate watching them suffer.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:07 AM   #16
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Well, in The Hobbit, I found that those gant spiders were reall creepy. But in the LotR's series, I found that the ring wraiths(spelling?), Shelob (I have this phobia thing with spiders), and the Orcs terrifyed me. I mean the descriptions of the Orcs, and how they lived and everything, was pretty grusome, they are really nasty creatures, and I don't think I'd ever like to be near one!
Actully, to tell yo the truth, whicis kind f sad though, Treebeard an all the Ents kind of feaked me out aswell, they were vey nice and all, but the whole giant tree-human thing i ddn't like.
Also, in The Hobbit, that bear guy (what was his name?) scared me awell, he just didn't really seem like too nice of a person... er, bear to begin with.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:40 PM   #17
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Quote:
"Here! you hold it!"

"No! You!"

"No! I don't want it!! You hold it!!"
Heh, kinda gives that scene in the movie a whole new meaning, doesn't it?

Frodo holding the Ring out to Gandalf in a trembling hand, looking terrified: Take it, Gandalf! You must take it!

Gandalf: Do not tempt me! I will not!

Oooo, I forgot about the Marshes of the Dead. That was the most vivid scene for me the first time I read the books. It just gave me chills...
Old 02-16-2002, 04:45 AM   #18
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me the scariest bits were the spiders in Mirkwood in The Hobbit, and the whole chapter on Weathertop in LotR. I was scared of going to bed without a light for weeks after that chapter, I was convinced that Black Riders were going to appear from the dark somewhere. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It still gives me shivers when I read it.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:04 AM   #19
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The orc’s launching severed heads into Minas Tirith. Just the way Tolkien describes the heads falling into the city, and how people would come across someone they knew was disturbing on several levels.

Also, the madness of Denethor was creepy, and added to the sense of hopelessness that Tolkien was building in this part of the story. It worked!
Old 02-16-2002, 10:06 AM   #20
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

The Eye

Now that I think of it, Gollum reminds me of that creep that sat next to me in genetics class in college -gasp- 10 years ago! That's why I started taking my notes in Tengwar. Got him to leave me alone, I tell ya! I'm shuddreing just recalling it! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2002, 01:39 PM   #21
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Well I have the real disadvantage of having a VERY vivid imagination, so almost everything in the books terrified me for months afterwards. In this respect the movie was a real let-down. There was me with my popcorn, all geared up to scream all the way through, sitting with my friends, and nothing made mt jump, scream or make me run around wetting myself, my friends jumped at the bit where the nazgul came out from behind the tree, at the balrog, at the bit where the elves spring the fellowship at Lorien, but I was not scared!

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 04:44 PM   #22
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Quote:
Pippin and Merry in the hands of the Uruk-Hai.
That was one of my favorite parts! And Ugluk is one of my favorite characters.

Come to think of it, a lot of the orcs are some of my favorite characters.

Ummm, excuse me, I think I'm going to go see my psychologist now and try to figure out why I identify with vicious blood-thirsty thugs.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:20 AM   #23
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Argh! Orcs! Run!

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:37 PM   #24
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

I agree that the ring itself was extremely frightening. It represents the power that corrupts us all, and that is scary, when you think about the results of it...the movie made the ring scary too, because it was always whispering mysteriously and evilly. The movie also made Bilbo quite dark and Galadriel menacing...based on the books, i'd say the Ringwraiths were downright chilling...and The Great Eye, of course!

I haven't gotten to the part about Shelob, but i don't understand why she'd be the scariest. She's just all BIg and swollen and all she wants to do is eat. She's considered evil, yes, because she's destructive, but i still don't see how that evil can be greater than the evil of Sauron, who wants to control all people and torture them. So far i think that the only thing scary abotu Shelob is her physical prowess. She just wants to eat all creatures, not torture them or control them...her motives are just too simple to really frighten me. Being physically and visually frightening is never as piercing as the scariness of pure, cunning malice, desire for power, deceit, betrayal, etc. You might even say Gollum is scarier than her because of what he did.

Yes, i happen to vaguely know what's going to happen next even though i'm only on the beginning of Two Towers...my sis says i just don't understand about the evilness of Shelob (why she's the MOST evil creature) but i just don't see how she can be the worst, well i guess i'll just have to get to that part in the book, but this was just what i think at this point.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 04:31 PM   #25
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

Quote:
I haven't gotten to the part about Shelob, but i don't understand why she'd be the scariest.
Because she is this big hideous spider, and to those of us with arachniphobia there is no worse thing possible. [shudder...cringe]
Old 02-17-2002, 10:33 PM   #26
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

No, Shelob's not the worst (unless you're an arachnophobic) but she is quite spooky. What makes her scary is more than her size. She's menacing and contemplative. Gave me the heebie-jeebies. And she does like to play with her food, but you'll find that out later...
Old 02-17-2002, 10:45 PM   #27
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

I agree with Rosa that the Marshes of the Dead were most vivid. It was an image of ancient horror. I had a nightmare after reading about that (of course, I was reading alone, in my bed, with a single light shining in the darkness, while the wind outside howled and rattled the bare branches of the trees).
Old 02-18-2002, 08:02 AM   #28
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I found The Eye most terrifying, sort of an anti-god, always watching at the world and looking for ways to hurt people... Also the fall of Numenor and how the queen climbs the highest mountain to the holy tree but that sinks too...
Old 02-18-2002, 03:17 PM   #29
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Tolkien

Argh! Run from the Eye! The Eye is watching you!
Yes, that freaked me out aswell! Easily scared aren't I?

Old 02-18-2002, 04:25 PM   #30
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought Shelob was the most frightening, but Mordor itself was scary and Gollum scared me a little too.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:13 PM   #31
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Hey Kuruharan...let me know what your shrink says, because I kinda like spiders! That's why I didn't get all freaked out about Shelob.
Oooohh, not the eye! ACK!
Orcs a problem, just call Galadriel's Guard. Nothing like a bunch of female Elven warriors with PMS to take care of that problem! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2002, 08:24 PM   #32
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Sting

Apparently I'm a hopeless case. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2002, 08:36 PM   #33
Melime
Pile O'Bones

Melime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Spiders...I hate spiders...**shudders**
Therefor Shelob scared the heck out of me.

Then in the movie it was definitally the Ring wraiths. I had nightmares about them that night... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Melime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:30 PM   #34
calenfaniel

Sting

Quote:
"I agree with Rosa that the Marshes of the Dead were most vivid. It was an image of ancient horror. I had a nightmare after reading about that (of course, I was reading alone, in my bed, with a single light shining in the darkness, while the wind outside howled and rattled the bare branches of the trees)."

When I read that part, I had a candle lit on the other side of my room. I kept looking over at it. I wished it would blow itself out so I didn't have to walk over there in the dark. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

But I did go blow it out, and nothing got me. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I was definately glad to go back to my bed though.

I'm hopeless! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2002, 10:06 PM   #35
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Quote:
Spiders...I hate spiders...**shudders**
Ahh, another person with their fear priorities in order. Good. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2002, 11:42 PM   #36
Jessica Jade
Wight

Sting

I'm on Return of the King now...i finished TT last week...well, I didn't think Shelob was all that scary...pretty darn gross though! The marshes sure were really scary though...yipe..it's so sad and spooky...i get shivers thinking about it...

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Old 03-12-2002, 12:02 AM   #37
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Shelob scared me the most in the book, even though in real life I dont mind spiders (I actually have one sitting right above me as I am typing this) Also with Pippen and Merry with that awful Uruk-Hai, it was mean how they were treating them [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Anyway, back on track, in the movie the Eye scared me silly! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:20 AM   #38
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the book - The Dead Marshes. Because they were sad AND scary.

In the movie - The horses, with those nails and things sticking out of their hoofs and flesh.

And the whole Moria episode. I kept nudging my sister, saying, "Here's a real scary part..." then that scene would end, and I'd say "Ooooh, here comes a REAL scary part!"

Actually, Moria was kinda fun. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:36 AM   #39
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I was younger, the Nazgul (I remember being ten years old and reading FOTR on a stifling summer night, but keeping my windows shut because it was so dark and windy out that I was scared). Now that I have reached the wise and mature age of 22 [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] - the Dead Marshes. So much horror and grief which time didn't heal, but rather made worse.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:56 PM   #40
Jessica Jade
Wight

Sting

Birdland- i'm glad to know that i'm not the only one who liked Moria! I would TOTALLY visit there! The Bridge of Khazad Dum was my favorite chapter in Fellowship, i even liked it more than Lothlorien. Moria absolutely fascinated me because it is so vast and once-prosperous, and all the expansive dwarven cities underground ...the terrible majesty of the dwarven halls and the elaborate labyrinths and great pillars...it struck a chord of sadness in my heart because it was once so thriving and then fell to ruin and evil. But the tragedy of the loss of Durin's kingdom and the dominion of evil in Moria could not completely destroy the grandeur and beauty that had once endured. I was fascinated because Moria was so beautiful, tragic, and terrible and mysterious. I think the scariest movie parts were what happened in Moria. THe fact that it's scary only feeds my fascination [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Tolkien is an awesome writing, and his description of the Moria scenes amaze me.