Old 06-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Gondorian House Call Discussion Thread

Helkahothion invites you to play:

Title: Gondorian House Call

Basic Storyline:

Bordarigorn, the Man, decided to return and to visit his home in Bree. Anuion, an old Elven friend of Bordarigorn, and Telpeheled went to visit Anuion's father, in Eryn Lasgalen (Greenwood the Great, formerly known as Mirkwood until its cleansing at the end of the Third Age), and are not with him. King Elessar has heard about the deeds of them in the Cave in the Brown lands and sends a message to Lothlorien. It stated that the King wanted to meet the three of them within six months. When Bordarigorn travels there, he goes through Bree and finds out that the wolves led by Carchmoroth are back again. He decides to strengthen the defenses before heading down to Gondor.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:21 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The purpose of the story is to get to Gondor.

This means we will know the story is over when Bordarigorn's meeting with King Elessar is done.

Starting Location: Bree

Likely destination:Gondor
Old 06-23-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the 4th Age at around the first year.

The story itself or plot covers 4 months.

This game requires a time commitment of 2 months from me, and from the major players.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Characters Needed:

Humans: 3 needed (Am flexible, but do want at least 1 Female)

Females – 2

Males – 1

Try to make these characters from around the area of Bree. Farmers, sheep owners, shop owners, etc. who would be concerned about the coming of the Wolves back to Bree to maraud the country side.

No other character types are needed.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

There are four Dedicated Characters who will play in this game:

Hamfast: Played by Durelin

Carchmoroth, Dûrêl and Dúgoroth: Played by Piosenniel

Nariah: Played by Amanaduial the Archer.

Telpeheled: Played by Lyra Greenleaf

(See Character Descriptions and First Posts below.)
Old 06-23-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The game owner, Helkahothion, will play 2 characters.

Name: Anuionin

Race: Dwarf

Weaponry: He carries a large two-handed axe, two throwing axes and two one-handed axes.

Description: Anuionin has like all Dwarves a rugged beard and is dressed in wool clothes. He prefers the wool from Bree and is very fond of sheep.

HISTORY: Anuionin is a dwarf that has settled in Bree when he got there a hundred years ago with his father to buy wool. He totaly fell in love with the place. During the first wolf-raid, he grew very fond of Hamfast and has used part of his gold to buy the house next to him. The two of them can go along very good. Anuionin has love for Bree and will do anything to protect it.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Name: Bordarigorn

Race: Man

Weaponry: Bordarigorn carries an Elven dagger he got from Anuion, an Elf friend of his, and a spear. He also carries a bow and arrows and a shield.

Description: Bordarigorn has a circle beard and is quite muscled. He can perform some strength tricks and uses his shield to bash trough defenses. The wolves will prove a big challenge since they are low at the ground.

HISTORY: Bordarigorn left his parental home when he was 23 years old. During his travels he met up with Anuion, the Elf, and the two became best friends. He has fought many battles, the most recent being the one he and his friends fought in a cave in the Brown Lands. He got his shield and spear after battling with a group of men against two cave trolls. The front of the shield is clothed with Troll skin and very strong.

*+*+*+*+*+

Helkahothion’s post

There was a battle, early in the Fourth Age, fought near the boundaries of Lothlorien, between Easterlings, Orcs, and the Elves of The Golden Wood. It was fought over Anuion, an Elf messenger who carried vital information for Galadriel and was captured by the Easterlings.

There should have been nothing that out of the ordinary about the battle that followed; the Elves got rid of the Easterlings in a very short time, only a few days, but there was something a little different as well. Two Easterlings were left and stubbornly still tried to resist. Amazingly, something unusual between the two races occurred – the light of reason shone out brightly, and the two sets of foes were able to talk calmly to one another and reach a peaceable conclusion. Those who were left felt a little strange when they departed from the battle scene - it was almost as if a feeling of fellowship had grown between the mixed group.
But, as after all battles, there were casualties, even among the Elves, one of these being Durelin - a close friend of Anuion, the Elven messenger, a friend of Anuion’s, Telpeheled, and his close human friend, Bordarigorn. Once Durelin was buried, the trio separated, but only for a while.

It was only a short time after the battle that they received a message from King Elessar, asking them to come and meet with him, so he could commend them for their bravery. Bordarigorn had said farewell to both Telpeheled and Anuion and was feeling quite depressed. He was hardly ever separated from the two and hated to be so. But after the war of the ring he grew concerned how it affected his parents and both he and Anuion separated to visit their own. Telpeheled joined Anuion, because he had not visited Mirkwood. They had agreed that they would meet up in the White Horse Inn in Rohan.

Right now, Bordarigorn was standing on front of the Bree gate. The man looked at him with suspicion.

"What is your business here?" He asked firmly.

He did not recognize Bordarigorn. Must have been because Bordarigorn left at the age of 18. Bordarigorn looked him in his face and just felt like laughing. The other however looked stern and was going to get an answer.
"Bordarigorn has returned home and will visit his family. With your permission I would not like to wait and hurry down there. So if you would be so kind as to move out of my way, I can go see my father and mother." He said sternly.

The man did not look as he believed him, but the name Bordarigorn was familiar with him. He opened the gate and Bordarigorn ran to the homes as fast as he could. He searched for his parental house and rushed home.

"Mother, I have returned!" He shouted when he entered the home.

A woman looked at him with her eyes and mouth wide open. She looked like seeing a ghost and for a moment she actually thought she was. She dropped the pot she had in her hands and it shattered on the floor. With tears in her eyes she ran to the man and hugged him, barely reaching his chest.

A man came in and he did not speak. It was Bordarigorn's father.

"Blessed is this day that after the war my son has returned." He said.

That night, there was a bonfire and Bordarigorn was amazed by the story of "Frodo of the Nine Fingers and Samwise the brave." He jerked his head at the end of the story when the name Aragorn was mentioned.

”Aragorn? Well, I have some news for all of you. The King has asked me to see him! After we defended Lorien, he asked to see us, to commend us for defending the Golden Wood. I intend to set off tomorrow.”
And so it happened that next morning he headed out down the road to visit Aragorn. He walked down the road and decided to make his stop at "The Prancing Pony" in Bree, a fine establishment. He went in and was surprised to see that the people looked relieved to see him. Everywhere he looked, people nodded at him and smiled, obviously happy that he was there. He found the Inn and took a seat at a table. Butterbur came to him and took his order. As he waited for his food, he felt a little nudge on his leg. Bordarigorn looked down and was surprised to see that he had been nudged by a Dwarf in wool clothes.

"Have you come to join the defenses?" The Dwarf asked.

"The what?"

"The town is being raided again. It's the second time those nasty Wargs came back with those wolves and their amount is bigger then ever. We already have an Elf, but he did not seem too experienced in combat. He is currently staying at my place, because he ran out of money. Would you mind helping us out and destroy those critters once and for all?" The Dwarf spoke bitterly about the wolves as if they where an old enemy of his.

What surprised Bordarigorn most was that the Dwarf gave shelter to an Elf, a stranger. He wondered who this Elf was. Bordarigorn was definitely not going to miss a battle. What could he have to lose? It would be nice to have a little battle with some Wolves and Wargs. And it would make these people happy, too.

"Of course I’ll help. Could I speak to the Elf?"
Old 06-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Amanaduial the Archer’s Character:

NAME: Nariah Alderleaf

RACE: human

WEAPONS: Bow and arrows.

APPEARANCE: nut brown hair, falling to about a handspan below her shoulders, usually tied in a messy bun. Inquisitive and curious, but not nosy, but friendly green eyes. Slim figure and face, quite pretty, with freckles making her otherwise mature face seem a little more childish and mischievous.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Friendly and open minded, Nariah is good company, ready to laugh but knowing when the situation is serious and being able to act well in both circumstances. Not fearless, she wasnt brought up that way, but she is in no way a coward, and will stand up for herself and her friends and beliefs. Gets a little nervous in the company of people who are 'out of her range' such as lords or kings, and when she is nervous or embarrassed, she has a habit of fiddling with her apron strings or a curl of hair behind her ear. Will not be easily intimidated though. Dreamy, wishing her life to be more exciting, especially since the attack on Bree by the wolves and wargs.

HISTORY: Nariah has lived in Bree all her life, which up until a few years ago was very uneventful, the major event then being the attack of the wargs on Bree. She assisted the defence with her skill with a bow and arrow. Her parents died when she was very young, and she was sort of adopted by Barliman Butterbur, and so works in the bar.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Amanaduial’s post

Nariah swept her cloth across the table one more time and frowned, her freckles wrinkling on her nose as she did so as she glared at the table with her green eyes. She had been scrubbing at it for a good five minutes now, and it seemed some drink stains and coins just wouldn't remove themselves! She heard a quiet sniggering behind her, but didn't turn, simply closing her eyes. Then she whirled around, to see a boy a few years older than her, say 24, sitting with two of his friends and sniggering into his glass. She placed her hands on her hips like a schoolteacher.

"Athor Merrilbur! And at your age as well!" She exclaimed, as if she was accusing him of something. Now Athor grinned openly at her.

"I was wondering how long you'd be scrubbing at that, Nariah." He winked rogueishly at her. "Just a little fish-glue, does wonders you know-"

He dived out of the barmaid's way as she swiped at him with her cloth. "Hey, watch it, Nariah! I- oi! Thats mine!" Athor attempted to get back the hat which Nariah had grabbed from his head, scrabbling at her hands, which she held above her head as she climbed onto a bar stool. Eventually he just grabbed both her legs and lifted her from the stool, then swung her around as if she was a damsel in distress. Nariah whooped as he picked her up, then just laughed. Athor looked at her almost seriously, for him, although a small grin still hovered around his face. "Now, Miss Alderleaf, that hat is an heirloom-"

"You got it last week, Athor!"

"-an heirloom I tell you-"

"Athor, I saw you buy it!"

"Alright, it will be an heirloom, ok? My descendants-"

"-Will apparently have a taste in hats just as dire as yours!" Nariah laughed and tried to get out of his grasp, but Athor pulled her back, pecking her on the cheek. She cried out, hand to cheek, but he simply grinned back.

"I'll never give you another if you don't give me the hat now, Nariah."

"Is that a threat or a promise?" Nariah smiled through her words and placed the hat on his head so it covered his eyes. He tried to look under it, but was greeted with a kiss on his own cheek. Nariah grinned and stepped away, cuffing him lightly on the head as she walked back to the bar, picking up a few dirty glasses on the way.

"Er...miss, can I get a drink over here, please?" A polite voice inquired as she reached the bar. She turned and saw a man in ranger's clothing talking to a dwarf nearby. He must have come in not long ago, but Nariah didnt recognise him, and hoped he hadn't seen her and Athor- Butterbur would skin her alive.

"Yes, of course. An ale, sir?" She inquired. He nodded gratefully, and Nariah went to get it, sneaking another look at him as she did so. She made a note to speak to him when she gave him the drink- there wasn’t much news at the moment, and this ranger certainly looked like he would have news.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:34 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Durelin’s Character:

Name: Hamfast Greenhand

Race: Hobbit (of Bree)

Weapons: Only a short sword. Though it is a bit large for a hobbit, he is used to it. He has named it "Wolf Cleaver"

Appearance: Hamfast is a robust hobbit of normal hobbit height with cheery dark curls and both his head and feet. He has rosy, chubby cheeks, and creases on the sides of his mouth from his ever-ready smile and laughter. He usually wears his dark green trousers with yellow suspenders and an off-white shirt. Lately, he has been forced to adorn 'warrior garb', which consists of his shirt and trousers without suspenders and a large coat of black velvet. It was his old grandfather's, Posco Greenhand (now deceased), and a Hamfast has no idea where Posco got this coat, he is sure he does not wish to know, either.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: In his later years (really ever since the attack of the wolves), Hamfast has become a very outgoing hobbit. He has always been loving and joyful, with a beautiful family, but the whole 'hero' idea had quite gone to his head. Now, with the return of the wolves, he is fairly shy again, avoiding people as best he can. He has many weaknesses, especially in his mind. He is quite quaint and is not a brave elf warrior. He is a good person, and dependable, though, and he will make it through much, if with much difficulty and complaints.

History: Hamfast was born in Newbury, but moved to Bree with the rest of his close family at an early age. The Greenhands have long owned a large hobbit hole almost at the center half way up Bree Hill. Only years earlier, wolves had attacked the town, led by great Wargs. Hamfast had been part of the expedition to eradicate this threat, making him one of the town heroes. Even his own son had killed a wolf, making his family a "breeding place for heroes!" Hamfast had enjoyed his publicity greatly, and even more so when the heroes began to dwindle, leaving fewer people to share fame with in Bree. The others had moved on, to greater things, he expected. Soon his fame became his biggest fester and curse when the wolves came again. The poor hobbit and the other remaining heroes are expected to protect and save the town, and they each have been voted to be one of the leaders of the defenses. He has been forced into his 'warrior garb', and he even must wear a sword at his belt, the one he used during the first attack. Hamfast has been put in charge of a small company, with others, including his friend Anuionin, which brightens the situation a bit. Many of them are men, who are three times larger than he, and stronger and smarter in the hobbit's mind. They are almost less happy about the whole situation than Hamfast is…almost…

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Durelin’s post

Striding down the dirt street at the head of a group of men, with a vast variety of pitch-forks, knives, hoes, axes, and a few swords, Hamfast's feet dragged, and he kept his eyes on the ground, frowning at his feet. He fingered his short sword in nervousness, always readjusting his coat. It just didn't feel right, prancing around in fancy clothes with a sword. And leading men. Men! He couldn't lead a herd of swine, much less a group of men. No, not a group, a company, they were a fighting force. Hamfast was ready to faint. "Cheer up, Master Hamfast," came a deep rumbling voice from beneath a rough brown beard on the dwarf beside him. His friend Anuionin was one of the few things that kept him going. But, at the head of all those few things stood his wife. Emmy Greenhand could be quite fierce and imposing. Hamfast thought she should be the one wearing a sword at her belt. "We have been through these attacks together once before, we will survive them once again."

"I know, Anuionin, I know," he mumbled, and the dwarf gave a long sigh. It sounded much like a growl coming from the dwarf.

"Hamfast, I cannot make you think of this differently, but I ask you to make the best of this you can."

"I will try." The two had had many exchanges like this already. It was becoming a routine everyday. After Anuionin gave up each day, the talk crept away from the topic. Today, there was only silence. It seemed that the dwarf was tired of this. Hamfast was himself, but he wouldn't ever admit that. "Well," he began, then stopped for another moment, switching what he was going to say. "I'm sorry, old friend. I have been a real stick in the mud the past days. I will make the best of it from here on out, as you have constantly told me. Forgive me for taking so long to come to my senses."
The dwarf gave a rumbling laugh. "I knew you were too smart of a hobbit to go on like this forever. I figured you'd understand eventually. Though I will admit to getting a bit tired of trying to convince you."

"I will admit to that too, Master Dwarf," Hamfast answered him, grinning as Anuionin roared with laughter. "Hamfast, my dear hobbit, you are truly a wise man!" The two friends laughed together, and Hamfast walked down the streets off Bree at the head of the company with his head high and a smile on his face.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Lyra Greenleaf’s Character:

NAME: Telpeheled- but please call him Telp. Even I get tired of all the e’s in his name!

RACE: Elf

WEAPONS: Bow and sword

APPEARANCE: Long blonde hair, deep blue/ grey eyes, wears green clothes, has a cloak pin bearing an opal.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only): Telpeheled is quite young and silly for an Elf, although recent experiences and travelling with Bordarigorn and Anuion has matured him a bit. He still likes a joke, but is more moderated nowadays. He is very enthusiastic about everything he does. He loves to get to know people from all different races, which is why he is staying with a dwarf. He misses Lorien and his family and friends and talks to them often using Osanwë.

HISTORY: He grew up in Lorien, but around a hundred years ago left the Golden Wood and was kidnapped by Orcs. He escaped, but it helped him learn about them and gave him the will to fight. Has always had a thirst for adventure- hence the kidnap, his going with Bordarigorn to rescue Anuion, and his going into the world with them. Since the deaths of Durelin and Findorak in SFTLM he has had a great respect for life and dislikes fighting except at great need or against Orcs/ wargs, although he still retains his aim and skill through practice. He is a joker and a flirt. He left Anuion in Mirkwood as the search for adventure caught up with him again. He was looking for Bordarigorn but wasn’t sure where to find him and his money ran out and ended up staying with Anuionin.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Lyra Greenleaf’s post

Telpeheled smiled slowly. “Liniel I swear it, I saw the Evenstar often in Lórien and you are far more beautiful than she. I-”
”Telp I heard you say that to Elenaya yesterday. Oh, and Thrabduil’s sister-daughter the day before that.
Telpeheled turned to scowl at the Elf who had interrupted him.
“I would rather you stayed out of this Anuion. After all I’ve done for you…”
Anuion choked and opened his mouth to protest. Telp ignored him and turned back to Liniel. She had gone.

“Oh I understand” Telp continued grimly. “It’s jealousy. Simply because I have so many admirers while you…”
Telpeheled paused significantly.
Ignoring the insult he knew was not to be taken seriously, Anuion began to walk. Without words, Telp followed. They walked in silence for a while.
“I-“
“You-“
The two Elves exchanged smiles as they began to talk at the same time.
“Go on, Telp” said Anuion.

“Anuion, you know I wanted the chance to see your land, visit your family don’t you?”
Telp paused, then continued at his friend’s nod.
“I like it here. Thranduil’s court is amusing, there are many beautiful maidens, lots of wine…”
He trailed off. Anuion waited.
“But I wish to see the world again. I want to see humans again. I want- I want to see men, and periannath and Dwarves. I want to see Gondor, Rohan, Fangorn, Ithilien…The tales they tell here of the journey of Legolas, the king’s son! I want to see what he saw. I want to-”
”Go to join Bordarigorn?” Anuion finished for him. Telp nodded slowly.
“Then that is what you must do. Go to him in the North, and I will meet you both, as arranged, in Rohan”
“Thank you.” Telpeheled grinned at his friend. He had known Anuion would not be offended, after all Telp had left the Golden Wood for adventure, not to join a city of Elves in the northern branch of the same wood! So he would find Bordarigorn,. It couldn’t be too hard, after all there was little up north, certainly few men such as Bordarigorn. Just many periannath and suchlike. Telp longed to see Hobbits, they seemed as a tale for the fireside but they certainly existed. There were many tales of Hobbits circulating at the moment. Yes, it would be good.

It did not work out so well. It was fairly simple to find the township of Bree after a short stay at famed Imladris, but there were indeed men aplenty in the area. There were a number of Rangers such as Bordarigorn, but most had gone to the South with the new King of Gondor. The men of Bree were far simpler folk. Yet, Telp had to admit they provided good hospitality- the inn of the Prancing Pony was comfortable, the innkeeper shrewder than he looked. And there were periannath, Hobbits as they were known here. For the first few days Telpeheled wanted to smile each time he saw them in the streets, wrinkled old Hobbits the height of his waist! It was wonderful.

Then he began to worry, and it stopped being so wonderful. He had left much of his money with Anuion to bring to Mirkwood; more was in the bag which Bordarigonr held for him. For the first time Telpeheled began to realise that he could do worse than look after his own belongings.

A few days before he knew he would have to leave the inn, Telp sat with an ale (a new experience but certainly a good one) and listened to the tales of wolves in the neighbourhood. He remembered a time he had fought wolves and had to be carried by Bordarigorn, but was unwilling to share the tale with these assembled man and Hobbits. After a while he noticed one voice louder than the others decrying the foul beasts. Looking with interest for the speaker, Telp noticed someone he had not seen around Bree before- a Dwarf. The dwarf noticed Telpeheled’s astonished stare and frowned.

“What is it, Master Elf?” he asked grumpily. The men and Periannath who had not noticed Telpeheled stirred in interest and turned. They saw few Elves, if any.”
“You have trouble with wolves?” Telp asked lightly.
“Yes. What of it?”
”I believe I could help you” Telp offered.
“Why would you do that?” the Dwarf asked disbelievingly, staring at Telpeheled from under the largest eyebrows he had ever seen.
“Will you let me stay in your house?”

The Dwarf’s mouth dropped open. Of all he had expected, Telp would wager it was not this. Still Telpeheled did not agree with the feud, many Elves disliked humans and he knew that they were certainly not all bad. Anyway there had been a Dwarf mentioned in the tales of Legolas of Mirkwood, along with the periannath. He only hoped the Dwarf was as willing to forget their races’ history.

It seemed the Dwarf, Anuionin was his name, cared more about saving his home than pointless enmities, for to Telp’s relief he offered him a room. In a week they had achieved, if not the lifelong friendship it seemed Legolas Thranduilion had managed, a mutual trust and respect. It was a start.

Today Telpeheled sat in his room in the house of a dwarf, explaining the situation to a friend through the mind-speak of Osanwë
‘A Dwarf?’ Maeralagos asked. Telpeheled could hear the smile in his voice.
‘Are you surprised?’
‘By you? Never’
‘I-’

“Elf?” the Dwarf’s call interrupted Telp. He had learnt that calling him ‘Elf’ was no sign of dislike by Anuionin.
‘Fare well, Maeralagos. Good luck finding a wife before I return to divert the maidens’ attention’
‘Farewell Telp’

Telpeheled left his room.
“Yes Dwarf?” he called entering the passageway. With the Dwarf he saw a man.
“Telpeheled?” the man asked.
“Bordarigorn?” Telp returned in shock.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:36 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio’s Characters:

Name: Carchmoroth – The Black Maw

Race: Warg – Mighty Wolf of the North

Description: Fierce, intelligent, a tactician in his approach to hunting prey and engaging in battle. Yellow eyed, silver backed grey, 200 lbs (90kg), lean well muscled, bears a notched right ear where a Bree-land dog once got the best of him. Taught to speak by an Elf he once detained and then devoured.

*+*+*+*+*

Name: Durel – Dark Star

Description: Yellow eyed, black fure with glints of greys, 150 lbs (70 kg), lean, well muscled, fierce fighter, and extremely cunning. Has an almost imperceptible limp in her right hind leg, from a former encounter with the good citizens of Bree-land.

*+*+*+*+*

Name: Dugoroth – Night Horror

Description: Twin brother to Durel; 175 lbs (80 kg), lean, well muscled, fleet of foot, crafty, and has a wolvish sense of humor when he harries his prey.

History:

In the early history of the great northern Wolves, they had roamed through much of Eriador, lords of the hunt, taking what prey as they desired. Then Men and other two-legged creatures had pushed their way into these fruitful lands, encroaching on the rightful territory of the packs. The wolves had been hunted themselves, and pushed back to the North, where the Mountains of Angmar stood cold and lifeless. Prey was scarce, the conditions harsh in these dark lands. The packs of wolves had grown fewer and smaller, and now in the dawn of this new Fourth Age, it had reached a crisis point once again.

~*~*~*

Pio’s post

Carchmoroth and his children were the last of their line. The once proud pack of his sires of old had dwindled down to these three. They had tried once before to reclaim a small segment of hunting territory north of Bree-land, but had been driven back. Eight years had passed, but the hateful memories of this defeat at the hands of the two-leggeds were still well banked embers, waiting only to be fanned into life again.

Now they had just come out of a harsh northern winter, and the failed promise of a pallid spring. They were reduced to hunting small burrowing rodents and the very occasional Orc who ventured out from the Misty Mountains. But the Orcs had grown more wary, and the small mouthfuls of ground creatures could not satisfy their hunger.

Once again, need pushed them south . . . to the Weather Hills.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:56 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Here, again, are the characters needed for the Game:

Humans from the Bree area –

2 females

1 male

Suggestions for First Posts for these characters:

Your First Posts for your character could take place in The Prancing Pony Inn. Your character could be there talking to a group of your neighbors about how you’ve heard that farmers (maybe members of your extended family) in the outlying sections of northern Bree have been regularly losing their stock. Chickens have gone missing, and now sheep are starting to be killed. No one has seen what is doing this, but people are angry and starting to be afraid – especially since whole, large sheep have been carted off by these creatures.

Over numerous tankards of ale, there could be lots of speculation – people even wondering if some thieving orcs have holed up somewhere or ruffians who were associated with old Sharkey are hanging about and making trouble since the War ended . . .
Old 06-23-2003, 01:00 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

HERE IS THE FORM TO FILL OUT FOR YOUR CHARACTER - PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY.

Create your character, write a solid First Post (of at least 2 paragraphs, and preferably more), then submit it here on the Discussion Thread.
__________________________________________________ ______________

It is a requirement that all potential game players will either have posted in one of the RPG Inns (preferably in The Green Dragon) or have played in an RPG on the Barrow Downs.

Please use this form for creating your character to post on the discussion thread.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Those who have not played before in a Barrow Downs' RPG will be given preference. Final preference, though, will be at the discretion of the Game Owner.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
__________________________________________________ _________

Character Description Form:

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?
Please note you may play in only 3 games at one time.

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?

For your character please include:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

A FIRST POST FOR YOUR CHARACTER MUST ACCOMPANY THIS FORM.

It is a requirement for this game. Character Descriptions without a First Post attached will be sent back to the writer. They may be submitted again, once there is a First Post to go with them.

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #13
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

My my Pio, now I know why you have so many posts [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay let's get this show on the road. New writers: Come and claim your character!

Abedithon le,

Anuion
Old 06-26-2003, 02:12 PM   #14
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Just to check in and tell y'all that I am here, and have noticed the thread.

-Aman/Nariah
Old 06-27-2003, 05:17 AM   #15
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Good to see you Aman. Well it seems that not many people noticed this thread yet. We still need 3 fresh writers.

Abedithon le,

Anuion
Old 06-27-2003, 12:06 PM   #16
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Please check your PM's.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #17
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please remember, all seeking to play in Helka's game:

A First Post for your character must be submitted at the same time as your Character Description.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 07-03-2003, 04:12 AM   #18
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES - Which one? In the Footsteps of the grey company
How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? 0

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – Which one? The Green Dragon Inn

NAME: Meggan (meg for short)

RACE: Human(of Bree)

WEAPONS: Long dagger (family heirloom), spear and her wolfhound Oscar
APPEARANCE: Long reddish, brown hair, light tan from working in the sun, 5”7, one eye green and one hazel, and a willowy figure.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Shy with new people, but strong, smart and cunning amongst her friends. She has a quirky sense of humour and view of the world. Withdrawn with strangers, but once her trust is gained she sticks closer than an unconventional sister.

HISTORY: Her parents died of disease at an early age due to lack of medical treatment. A rich doctor refused to help them because they could not afford it so she hates rich men in particular. Consequently she was left an entire sheep farm at the age of 23. She isn’t married yet, instead works hard, stays out of debt and is able to hire two workers, (Anuionin and Faye's character). The wolf raids on her sheep made her mad and angry and forced her into battle and travel, but as they progress more, she is starting to regret her decision.

Silmarien's post

Meggan woke to the sound of an alarming anarchy outside her window. There was the frenetic baaing of sheep and the angry, warning growls of her wolfhound, Oscar. ‘Sheep rustlers, wolves?!’ she wondered apprehensively before she leapt from her bed, grabbed her dagger and spear, lit a torch, ran down the stairs, through the garden and headed for her pasture to defend her sheep. But even as she ran the uproar died down. She arrived to find Oscar lying on the ground and a trail of blood leading off to the north. She quickly counted the sheep and found 3 ewes and a lamb missing.

When the workers came the next morning, Anuionin the dwarf was exited. The defences had another member and a great warrior to boot. He tolled the good news to Megan and she got caught in two fires. She wanted to join, but would need to find someone to look after the farm while she was gone. She knew there where plenty of people who could do that, but lack of trust made it hard to pick someone. She liked to have things her way, but the urge of leaving grew stronger as Anuionin spoke.

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Old 07-03-2003, 04:18 AM   #19
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

No need to make comments Silmarien. We have discussed these matters already. Welcome aboard. Have a great learning experience here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le
Old 07-03-2003, 11:08 AM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

To all who find 'edits' on their posts - I'm merely setting thing up for easy transfer to the Game when it opens.

~~ Pio, Shire Mod
Old 07-14-2003, 11:16 PM   #21
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? Yes. Which one? Holiday in the Sun.

How many RPG's on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? One.

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes. Which one? Both.
*~*~*~*~
Character Information

NAME: Haleth

RACE: Human

WEAPONS: A bow, a short sword, and two daggers.

APPEARANCE: She is about 5 feet 10 inches tall, and quite slender. She has dark-blonde, shoulder length hair and blue-green eyes. Generally looks a bit sunburnt, as she is always outside looking for trouble.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Fiercely independent. She has always been something of a loner, and thus doesn't have extraordinary people skills. Though she has a tendency to be sarcastic, she is trustworthy and will always defend people when needed. She is an excellent archer and rider, and has a brilliant aim when throwing daggers, etc. Her hand to hand combat skills leave something to be desired, however.

HISTORY: Haleth, the youngest child and only daughter in her family, was born and grew up in Rohan. She learned much from her two older brothers, becoming an expert rider and one of the best archers in her village. She was always rather adventurous, so when she was older (27) she left her home and traveled to the north. She traveled much throughout Eriador, and came into contact with the Dunedain, from whom she learned some valuable survival skills (healing, etc.). She generally wanders around in the Wild, but has a house near Bree where she can rest between journeys. She is always on the lookout for a new challenge.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Sapphire_Flame's post

Haleth strode swiftly down the road. Returning from a journey was somehow invigorating, and left her anxious to start the next. She could see the wall of Bree just ahead.

"Perhaps I shall stop by The Prancing Pony before heading home," she thought. The idea of a few pints of ale was tempting in the extreme; so instead of taking the little-used turnoff to her house, she kept on the main road. Her cloak flicked out behind her in the light wind.

A sound off to the side suddenly caught her attention and she jumped back a step, pulling out her bow and setting an arrow to the string. And not a moment too soon. An enormous wolf leapt out of the brush and charged right where Haleth had been standing. It spun round for a fresh attack; Haleth let her arrow fly, striking the wolf in the eye and halting it in it's tracks. It wheeled round, howling in rage. Haleth sent another arrow. It imbedded itself in the wolf's side and the creature collapsed.

Securing her bow again, Haleth walked up to the creature and glared at it. She pulled her arrows out--she never wasted arrows when she could help it--and returned them to her quiver.

"Bloody wolves," she muttered contemptuously, giving the body a good kick. This was the third time she'd been attacked in the last two days. Something was going on. Leaving the body behind, she continued into Bree.

Once she arrived at The Prancing Pony, she found that she wasn't the only one having trouble with wolves. Just listening to other conversations as she walked in yielded plenty of information. She dropped down into a seat at the bar. The barmaid plunked an ale down in front of her before she even had to say a word.

"Well then, Anuionin, I've heard you've been having some wolf trouble," she said to the dwarf sitting a seat down. "You all been dealing with 'em okay?"

"As well as ever," Anuionin said. "Could always use more help, though. I'm glad you're back; always been a good fighter."

"And I've had my share of wolf trouble the last few days. Can't say I'd be unwilling to shoot a few more of those blasted creatures." She took a long pull at her drink. "Always glad to help, as you should know. Just let me know what to do."

Just then a man came into the Inn. Haleth watched him as he sat down and old Barliman came and took his order. Haleth nudged Anuionin when she noticed that the man carried a long sword, and a shield that seemed to be covered in troll skin.

"Seems we've got another warrior here," she said.

"Not just any warrior. That's Bordarigorn; he grew up here. Haven't seen him for nigh on fifty years." The dwarf slid off his seat and approached Bordarigorn. Haleth took another drink as she watched them talk. The man certainly didn't look as though he was over fifty years old...

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-15-2003, 03:32 AM   #22
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

List of Characters Submitted for the Game

Durelin -------------------- Hamfast Greenhand (Hobbit, male)

Piosenniel ---------------- Carchmoroth, Dûrêl and Dúgoroth (Wargs: Mighty Wolves of the North + their pack)

Amanaduial the Archer --- Nariah (Human, female)

Lyra Greenleaf ------------ Telpeheled (Elf, male)

Helkahothian -------------- Anuionin (Dwarf, male), Bordarigorn (Human, male)

Silmarien ------------------ Meggan (Human, female)

Sapphire_Flame ---------- Haleth (Human, female)

Need 1 more Human character from Bree – preferably male.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #23
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Done

No more players. Later in the game we will need baddies, but that is a worry for tomorrow. And as you well know, my thoughts don't reach that far.

Let's all make this a good game. You know the rules, but some I want to point out:

~No sig's
~No quoting on the RPG thread.

Another thing, keep the joking in PM's and Middle Earth Mirth. I will be *so* satisfied with you if we can manage to keept the game thread longer than the discussion one.

Abedithon le

Your friendly game owner (with a twist) Anuion
Old 07-16-2003, 05:26 PM   #24
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please check your PM's, Helka! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I need the list for first posts before I can open the game.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #25
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The posts have been placed according to Helka's wishes. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Game is now open for play! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2003, 07:22 AM   #26
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Hmm. Pio, my first post doesn't appear to be on the RPG board. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2003, 08:39 AM   #27
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Yes - well for some reason - neither yours or mine made it onto the list he wanted put on the game at the opening.

Have PM'd Helka - no response as yet.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:36 PM   #28
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Oops, little piece of miscomunication there. I just wanted those posts in that order, the others could be anytime of the game. So sorry about this. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Please forgive me.

Anyway, let's get goin'

Abedithon le
Old 07-18-2003, 02:14 PM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OK - Aman, your post and mine are now on the game.

Helka, why don't you give your gamers a little heads up on what you see as happening next in the game.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:18 PM   #30
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

NO! it's my genius plan. Ohw, right ehm... we are going to get armed for the wolf raid. We need all the players in the town squire where Anuionin is gathering all the warriors. We will give out weapons and get ready to head out. Just main preperation for the assault if you catch my groove.

So all players: Get your bottom to the squire. I'll set up the post for it and get the guides in play.

Abedithone le
Old 07-18-2003, 05:41 PM   #31
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So Helky, in your post you wanted to talk to the Elf- that would be me right? Do you want to post the conversation or shall I? You have a better idea of what's going on I guess. Just try to remember the name- I'm only just talking to you... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-19-2003, 04:45 AM   #32
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Most will be explained. We still need a battle plan. That part will be on too. The wargs will be expecting the tactics we already used in Wolf run and are not stupid. We need good ideas.

Abedithon le
Old 07-22-2003, 01:31 AM   #33
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Character Description Form:

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? Nope

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?
None!

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes
Which one? The Green Dragon Inn

For your character please include:

NAME: Vanaien but call her Vana

RACE: Human

WEAPONS: Long sword and Bow and Arrow.

APPEARANCE: has long golden yellow hair to about her lower back. She is about 5 foot 8 and has a slender body. Soft bright green eyes. Very pretty with a slim face.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Vana is a very sweet person. She's a good listener and very helpful. Shes also a strong fighter and a very brave women. When she was younger, her only friends where the boys. Even how hard her parents tried to get her to play with dolls, she wouldn't. She had set her heart on swordfighting and archery.

HISTORY: Vana had grown up mostly alone but still lived a happy life. She spent most of her time in the forest practicing swordfighting and archery with her best friend Harthol who she had grown up with. He was the only boy who would really play with her when she was younger. The others wouldn't be caught dead with a girl. At the age of 19 she came home one day and her parents had been killed by a band of Easterlings. She lived alone for a couple of months and soon decided to leave. Vana made her way to Bree looking for a job. She found employment at a sheep farm and made a good friend by the name of Anuionin.

First Post:

"Excuse me, Anuionin. Are you still looking for help killing wolves?" Vana asked tapping the dwarf on the shoulder. "Ah, Vana! Nice to see you." The dwarf reached out his hand to Vana. His grip was very strong. "And yes I am still in search for help. Are you interested?" The dwarf asked.

Vana tossed back her cloak to reveal a fine crafted long sword. Smiling, she said "Is this sword good enough?" The dwarf chuckled. "Ah, a fine crafted sword that is! Indeed it is good enough."

Vana giggled at the dwarf's excitement. "I'm not exactly a warrior, but I do have enough skills with a sword to help you fight off the wolves." The Dwarf nodded and said, "I think you will do fine. I will be needing you to come by my farm tonight."

Vana nodded and thanked the Dwarf with a handshake. This was an exciting day for her. Finally, a job for her in Bree.

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Faye Took ]
Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 AM   #34
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Good post sweety, but one thing, Vana already knows Anuionin. That's a little thing you should change. The rest is good.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:37 PM   #35
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

No problem Helky! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have changed my post. Tell me if it is alright.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:04 PM   #36
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sorry to abandon you Helky, but I’m going away on holiday for two weeks, starting tomorrow. I’m hoping to be able to check in on the 2nd of August, and probably post. Please continue to use my characters, so that they don’t drop out of sight. You can do pretty much what you like, as long as it’s in character. Use them as much as you want!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-25-2003, 09:32 PM   #37
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is the one male position still avaliable? If so please let me know.

Burzdol
Old 07-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #38
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Never fear, Mighty Leader Hamfast is here!!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] In other words, I posted.

You know, Helky, you didn't have to make Hamfast leader of the entire defenses, but...suit yourself! All the grumpier he will be.

Burzdol - Sorry, but Helky started the game, so there's no more characters. You should've came earlier, we need another man with all these women running around! I mean, we're fighting wolves and wargs, and then we're trecking across Middle Earth! And we have to lug all these women around! Agh! Oh well...

Helky - I want to make Hamfast's son sort of a carry-along character, if that's alright with you. I'll post the bio in a bit. Promise.

EDIT: [MOD EDIT - NO SWEARING PLEASE][DURELIN EDIT - I DIDN'T SWEAR!! THAT DOES NOT COUNT!] My 666 post! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

*runs off in terror to find somewhere to post*

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 07-27-2003, 04:28 PM   #39
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Great Wolves have made their first strike . . . [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Their bellies filled, they will now be off to gather reinforcements [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 09:23 AM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

By now most of you will have gotten this PM from me: (Lyra - your PM's are full)

Quote:
Sorry to say this, but we are closing the RPG “Gondorian Housecall”. The owner, Helkahothian, will be unavailable to participate in the game.

Piosenniel and Child of the 7th Age, Shire Moderators
Since Helka's character is the major character for the game, we felt it better to close the game rather than have someone take him over.

Again - sorry for the inconvenience to you players.