Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2003, 12:18 PM   #121
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I'm afraid that I had to do...something...disruptive... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I hope I'll be forgiven.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:47 PM   #122
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

It was about time. Well done. Now at last I have encountered an enemy more deranged than my own sword. Shame he beat me really.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:06 PM   #123
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Sorry for delays/absence. Work is long and tiring over the last week. Should get better in a few days.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:06 AM   #124
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Mischief comes in the night, a fleeting shadow. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #125
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Bravo, everyone! Blood, battle, decapitations! Pimpi admires you warrior folk greatly. Though the new hairstyle might be too horrific even for her to dwell on. I hope Earnur got Wylkynsion back.

I have gone back and changed my references to Mirkwood to Workmud. Squatter, in your post on January 16th, 8:01 AM, you used the term. "The self styled Poet Larueate of Mirkwood." I didn't notice it anywhere else.

I also changed Thranduil to Throngduil (Geppettuil is the third cousin thrice removed of King Throngduil) and Dale to Chippendale. Earlier I had also referred to "Mirkwood" as "The Forest Formally Known as Greenwood the Untreated Lumber Yard." If you don't get that, it's probably because it's a very lame pun. Apologies.

I have not as yet used "Rohan" in the RPG, though I did in the discussion, but if the occasion arises, may I suggest "Rofee"?

I used "the Shire" a couple times. I can't think of a suitable spoof, as it being only one syllable it's hard to change it and not make it unrecognizable. Any suggestions and I'll change. That should make no verbatum place names from Tolkien.

I'll try and update my post later in the afternoon. If anyone wants to post before, I plan on ending it just under the bows of Workmud. I might end up going deeper if no one does post, but you can use that as a starting point.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:39 PM   #126
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well, Diamond, whatever the sword itself might want, Rimbaud has successfully killed and coiffed the entire pirate crew, so it's stuck with me.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:06 PM   #127
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

That's good to hear.

My post is up.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:16 AM   #128
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

(Sigh) Didn't anybody pick up on my homage to a certain mid-20th century Irish author? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Of course, mullets are nice, too.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 02-13-2003, 12:08 PM   #129
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bird

LYNCH
(Laughs) And to such delights has Metchnikoff inoculated anthropoid apes.

FLORRY
(Nods) Locomotor atataxy.

ZOE
(Gaily) O, my dictionary.

LYNCH
Three wise virgins.

I rejoice in your choyce!
Old 02-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #130
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(Eeeehhhh!) Ooooh, sorry, Pio! Wrong.

Hint - the krakens' names are Vladamir and Estragon.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #131
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Birdie - 'Waiting for Godot' - and I loved your post! It's always a pleasure when our resident critter expert writes! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-13-2003, 01:14 PM   #132
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

I must fess up that a certain part of Vogonwë's Third Fit was stolen from Lewis Carroll and an old post by Kuruharan about signatures, though I'm sure the former plagiarism was more obvious than the latter.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

[ February 14, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-14-2003, 12:54 AM   #133
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Only steal from the best!
Old 02-14-2003, 05:47 AM   #134
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Hmph. Nobody ever plagiarises me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I've edited the post you mentioned, Diamond. I didn't notice that one the first time I read your post.

Is there any sort of convention on whether we're using actual Middle-earth place names or making them all up ourselves? I see that the RPG is tending towards the latter course, but I've been chucking real names in there left, right and centre so if I'm wrong I need to know before there are too many references to track down.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:10 PM   #135
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Great posts again, all! I hope I find time to comment a bit more on them later on. Just a brief answer to Squatter's question now - it doesn't matter if there are actual ME names in the story. We can always edit if there is a change later on. I do like the changed names, just for the fun of playing with the words, and because it fits the parody idea. I will try to post what we have so far - I've been collecting.

Merisu's post is up, with an opening for a subplot at the end. All others, please wait to see if Rim or Mith use it. You are welcome to post adventures with your own character(s) while searching in the forest.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-15-2003, 01:42 AM   #136
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

I assume you meant we could go ahead and post as long as we kept our characters away from the camp, so I've put up the beginning of Vogonwë and Pimpi's food gathering foray. It's the 100th post. I feel so, so special. It can be moved if need be, however.

And I wonder if anyone will catch the allusion to a certain song?

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-15-2003, 03:29 AM   #137
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Oooooh! Oooooh! I know! "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"!
Old 02-15-2003, 12:42 PM   #138
Spectre of Decay

Sting

In case you're interested, I've added another small joke to Etceteron's release from bondage. I promise to put all of the jokes in first time on the next one.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:55 PM   #139
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Squatter, you are a genius. I haven't laughed so hard since the last time I laughed really really hard. It wouldn't be an understatement or even an overstatement to mention that this was a sentence. And more aptly, that your post was the one of the funniest I have read [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Particularly liked the 'untimely ripp'd' spoof, although there are too many tidbits to quote all herein. Good work.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:05 PM   #140
Spectre of Decay

Sting

From you, Rimbaud, that is praise indeed. I'm flattered.

Now it's time to stop licking each other's boots and do some roleplay. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 07:45 PM   #141
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Quite so Birdie, congratulations, you have won...nothing. Ah well, enjoy your not-prize.

And I second Rim's sentiments. I lick your boots without shame, Squatting One.

Ah, and Bethberry, a double lick is in order, I see! I simply must scurry off gleefully to do something with this.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #142
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

O Lando L'oréal Bloom arrives. What are his words worth? What intimations shall he woolf down?

Squatter, I shall c&p this post to accompany your words on the OhLaLaLuthien thread. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Diamond, Vogonwë rediscovers his roots. I hope you approve.

Bethberry
Old 02-15-2003, 10:24 PM   #143
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

I do indeed, it's about time Vogonwë is faced with a little comely competition. As promised I've done what I scurried off to do, and had great fun doing it, too.

Rim, Quixotic and Simian? It's just too much. You are too funny.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-16-2003, 06:02 AM   #144
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
Squatter, I shall c&p this post to accompany your words on the OhLaLaLuthien thread.
That's not a bad idea you know, Beth. Why don't you? I would, but I'm already in trouble there. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My, what a night it was last night. Whilst you appear determined to give me a permanent blush your own posts were all fantastic as well: Rim, your insane punning, rhyming and alliteration are an inspiration to us all, not to mention the following gem:

Quote:
Halfullion was a Hero. Not in the inaccurate sense of being heroic, but more in that sense of unavoidable and undignified Fate.
Bethberry, much trouble though I had finding your post (I forgot that you'd saved your place. D'oh!), I really enjoyed it. The surrealism of your posts is unsurpassed. This had me rolling in the aisles:

Quote:
Then, a swayingly swinging grapevine swung down, ridden by a lithe, long-limbed, long-fingered , long-haired non-gender-specific vision of pulchritudinous pleasantness whose long locks trailed clouds of Gloréal hues.
Mithadan: Gravlox demonstrates again that in dream all is possible. How many weapons can he hold at once? What a guy.

And last, but by no means least, there were two gems from Diamond. I can't even choose a quotation from those, so I shall have to fall back on the dreaded Black Speech: rofl
Old 02-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #145
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Great posts, everyone! Whoa is me - I can hardly keep up! Details later, just one request - please don't have your characters come back to the camp yet.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:21 PM   #146
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Kuruharan displays his rather unseemly side in his latest episode.

But it is all for the benefit of the Quest, of course. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 09:36 PM   #147
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

My dear Diamond,

Why should the others have all the fun? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 02-16-2003, 11:39 PM   #148
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Fun with fangirls! Parodies on the Downs just wouldn't be the same without them.

Poor Pimpi, beset by spiders and hopelessly drugged to sleep. She needs a hero of some sort. I myself shall be busy rescuing Vogonwë.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:10 AM   #149
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Yes, indeed, Diamond! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Birdie, I absolutely love your critters. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And I have to say that when I lifted Shakespeare's weirdest stage direction, I never imagined it would lead to such a great post from you.

And now I'm wondering if I should edit 'fangirls' to be 'fanmaidens.' The behaviour is so, um, unmaidenly, though. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 02-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #150
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I must confess I am in awe of this recent spate of posts. If I were to break this post into individual congratulations and statements of admiration, it would be far too long.

But have events come to this? The long foreshadowed but unforeseen breaking of the Itship? Where have I read of such events before...?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:09 AM   #151
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Mith, fantastic use of one of The Clash's best songs. Enjoyed that one, and the gentle nod to the currrent avatar. Nicely done.

Further agreeing with you all, agreeably, you are all brilliant and very funny. Credit to Esty for assembling such a merry and bright bunch, I have rarely chuckled more often reading an RP/fan-fiction. This story has added depths now too, as well as the surface hilarity.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #152
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Feel free to post; those who are able may return to the campsite, though they will find it deserted, except for a sleeping dragon... Will someone decide to go ahead with cooking even though Merisu is missing? There are no signs of violence, so no suspicion as yet.

It does look like there is a temporary breaking of the Fellow/galship, but we will all meet at Gol Dulldor soon. Approach carefully - Lord Sourone's eye never sleeps! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 06:45 PM   #153
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Vogonwë will be unable to return to the camp anytime soon, as he is, um, occupied. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I've gleefully plunderd the Third Chapter of TTT for my latest madness. Stay tuned for Part Two, when the Fangirls stumble upon an Unexpected Party. Yes, I'm having too much fun with this, Bethberry.

Mithadan, how fortunate that Romeox caught himself before throwing that rock!

You are all hilarious, and most inspiring. Kudos, congratulations, grovelling admiration, etc.

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #154
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Pimpi has been rescued, so there are now a sleeping dragon and a sleeping Quarterling at the camp. And a sleeping authoress here - good night! More tomorrow...
Old 02-17-2003, 08:57 PM   #155
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Yes, the Itship has been sundered. But what will happen to our plucky sentient firearm? Will he be reunited with his long, lost kin(dling)? Can you get Super Glue in Workmud?

Hot tub party at Gravlox's! B.Y.O.F.B.L.! (Bring your own flask of burning liquid.)
Old 02-17-2003, 09:52 PM   #156
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Esty, don't tell me that Romeorc was once a photographer for Mid Earth Geographic! Did an article on the Bridges of Workmud County?

Bethberry

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 02-18-2003, 04:43 AM   #157
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Bb, if so, I suspect he had to hide the camera from his men - they wouldn't have understood a gadget that wasn't intended to kill someone. But will Merisu have to worry about compromising snapshots??
Old 02-18-2003, 01:46 PM   #158
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I promise you one day, Squatter, I shall plagairize from you as I have shamelessly here from a shameless thread of Rimbaud's.

And I must acknowledge the source of Vogonwë's falling strophe, mAlice's great site: Gothic Gardening

I leave to Diamond true creative control over our poet's verse.

Bethberry

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 02-19-2003, 11:01 AM   #159
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

*sniff, sob. Alas!
Old 02-19-2003, 02:33 PM   #160
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I’ve been enjoying rereading all your posts to finally write my comment – thanks for all the great writing! Besides the liberal use of alliteration, what strikes me most is that the character development is taking on depth. Like the Hobbits in the original LotR, they have grown, and it’s interesting to see them taking on life of their own, along with plot twists in unexpected directions.

Kuruharan, you certainly took the group in an unexpected direction with the River Pirate episode - nothing to forgive – it’s fun! After the sultry atmosphere of Topfloorien, some action was needed for a change of pace. And now you’ve turned up another piece of the Ent – along with some horrible yet highly amusing rhyming!

Mithadan, Gravlox has indeed become a fascinating character – what prowess with weapons, at least in his dreams! Awwww, poor Holdit – like his movie colleague, he turns up at the wrong battle, with fatal results. Strange, three Elves dead, and Gravlox didn’t even touch them? Is he turning into a good guy?? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Squatter, besides the Jabberwocky references, which I liked, it was interesting to find out more about Earnur’s history – the sad story of his lost Lúthien-esque love with the acerbic name makes us sympathize with his escapist habits. As to the spider, lucky thing that he met one of the females, huh?!

Birdie, where do you get those great critter ideas? Your posts are always a special treat! First the Kraken, then the faux-bears, with their talk of half-Beorns and born Beorns…

Rimbaud, I loved your nod to the Hobbit, with the story of the invention of Basketball! Halfie the heroic hairdresser has struck terror into our hearts with his pictures and links. As always, your puns are wonderful – “curl up and dye”!! Great names for the Elven languages too – Quixotic and Simian!

Diamond, I am consistently amazed at the lengthy poems you invent for Vogonwë – Fit the Third was as, um, interesting as always! I especially liked the reference to the ‘Walrus and the Carpenter’, with Kuruharan’s amendment, as taken from my old signature! The cousin with the royal welcome amused me – we are mixing scenes and characters from the books and movies with impunity, aren’t we?! LOL at the use of the Black Tongue during the capture of the Elven males.

Bethberry, nice to have you back as our next cameo character, O Lando L’oréal Bloom! The linguistic prowess of your posts, especially the amazing alliteration, was a knockout! I chuckled at the fangirls’ names and the ‘quality’ of their Elvish! And where on earth did you get the inspiration for that strange agent’s name, PeeJay13? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

B-W, we understand if you’ve not had the time to post – as far as we’re concerned, Orogarn Two is in the Forest somewhere, hunting fowls – we think. We hope to hear from him whenever you are able to write again.

To finish, here’s a list of a few of my favorite quotes:
Quote:
*BOP* *SMACK* *SHOVE* *KICK* *TOSS* [shades of animated Batman!]

a blade that was the terror of three continents and thousands of temporary incontinents

mis-spelling his own stream of consciousness

the sky did things that no self-respecting atmosphere should even know about and the ground chose a bad moment to take up ballet

Windósil, the sword-that-was-on-sale

fondle folicles, brush bouffants, to pay the toupe

masculine martiality as a malevolent malpropism maliciously miring him in mores of mild moral malfeasance

pursuing the peatmossed pediments and purloining puffballs

primly plucking the plump produce from its voluminous vines

We know not now the like of our discussions of eld, the devastating wit, the pedantic jab, the po-faced oneupmanship, the arcane analysis, the sheer delight of sharing line upon line of the most obscure quotations from the ancient texts

sullying them with vain and empty ceremonies and forcing clerical witnesses upon their private rites

delicate hunting horn with the pink "Hello Kitty" motif

there were members of one or two different websites present, and they could not understand one another’s chatspeak
[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]