Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #281
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mänwe
What splendid goings on! A question to you Folwren, have you had Dick recognise Limaris as a Ranger? If so then fine (I was hoping he might), it means I have partly failed my intended mission, but do you think you would be able to hide this fact from Limaris.

And if you have not then even better! I've not failed.
Well...in my narrating, I have referred to him a couple times as a ranger. However, I can change that easily enough and make it so that Dick doesn't know. He doesn't have to know. What do you prefer?

I can also make it so that Dick doesn't say anything about it, so that it won't be obvious that he knows.

I will write a post hopefully later this afternoon. (It's about noon for me now.)

-- Folwren
Old 12-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #282
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

I had noticed your references to Limaris as a 'Ranger' that was why I had asked. I don't want to dictate to you lol! Though I would ask if you would let Limaris have his little moment of triumph having successfully passed himself off as someone other than a Ranger.

Thanks! And I have to add I am greatly enjoying the RPG so far!
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #283
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Manwe, I am about to make a post. It will be up in a few minutes. When I do that, I will also make those edits in my previous posts about the ranger thing.

Tevildo and Mormegil, if you like, I can play another one of those twelve kiddeos in the Dwarf's neighboring room.

-- Folwren
Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #284
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Tevildo and Mormegil, if you like, I can play another one of those twelve kiddeos in the Dwarf's neighboring room.
Sounds fun, though I think this may present a fun challenge for me. I have a draft prepared for my next post though I may overhaul the whole thing. I wanted to talk to you both about how far if at all should I take the Bilbo story? I'm not familiar with what to do in these situations, please advise.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #285
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well...you could either PM it to us like you did a previous post, or you could post it and see how it went. The worst that would happen is that either Pio or I would e-mail you and say, sorry, that doesn't quite work, and maybe suggest some way to change it (I've never sent one of those sorts of PMs, so I don't quite know what goes into it).

And, yes, I imagine what's coming up may present a fun challenge for all of us.

-- Folwren
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 AM   #286
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
A new character?

Greetings from the Grim Shores of Real Life. I been away from the Downs for a long time, and continue to be busy, but I think I have a character who could drop into the Perch from time to time.

NAME: Periwinkle Greenhand of Tuckborough

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: Unused to weapons other than stones, but when angered has been known to wield various at-hand items such as skillets, rakes, or parasols with great accuracy.

APPEARANCE: Young, plump and pretty: Wavy chestnut brown hair with lighter highlights from the sun, fair-skinned with rosy cheeks, lively blue eyes. She usually wears sensible skirts in grays, tans or browns, with colorful bodices and white blouses. For festive occasions, she favors colorful dresses. Peri loves to play with her hair and seldom wears it the same way two days in a row, holding it in place with a seemingly inexhaustible supply of hair ribbons.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Generally cheerful, Periwinkle does have her mother’s quick temper, which she tries hard to keep under control. She has also inherited a Tookish sense of adventure from her mother's family, which makes the prospect of settling down unappealing at this time. While unable to play an instrument or sing on key, she adores dancing, drinking and a good story (to her parents' despair). She’s reasonably well organized, literate and willing to work hard, provided she gets breaks for the six meals all hobbits require in a day. Her independent nature can irritate others and get her into trouble. While somewhat spoiled she is almost never deliberately unkind or rude. (But if she loses her temper, watch out!) Also, Periwinkle did have chores on the farm, so she learned some useful skills. Her strong points are gardening and bookkeeping (and like all hobbits, she’s an excellent cook). She’s fond of animals and can usually coax them to do what she wants.

HISTORY: Daughter of Saradoc Greenhand and Agatha Took, who is second cousin to the fabulous daughters of the Old Took. Her father is a prosperous farmer near Tuckborough, usually under the thumb of her domineering mother. Peri loves both her parents, as well as her two younger sisters, Bluebelle and Hyacinth. Peri has arrived unexpectedly in Stock, supposedly on her way to visit her oldest friend, who married last year, but in fact trying to escape the marital machinations of her mother. Because of her position as one of her father’s heirs, her Took connections, and a comfortable sum of money she inherited from her Greenhand grandfather, Peri has a privileged background compared to most hobbits, and has enjoyed a stream of suitors since her tweens. However, much as she enjoys the attention, Peri would rather find a small cottage and settle down to be her own mistress.

Last edited by Dunwen; 01-09-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #287
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sorry the post is so short, Manwe. Couldn't think of anything further. I wanted to have Dick smoke you out, but I decided Limaris hadn't said anything too pushy enough yet. Oh well.

If there's any particular direction you want the conversation to go, but you can't do it with your character and need Dick to lead, you can let me know and I'll see about it.

---

Welcome, Dunwen! Introduce your character whenever you like in the inn. If you have any questions, you can either ask them here, or PM me or Piosenniel.

-- Folwren
Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #288
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Folwren

Aye, I wanted the conversation to start off slow, though I have a few ideas involving Kuric, should [mormegil] wish to play along [including everyone in the Inn, though that will occur on their own accord of course. No Godmodding here! ]. I'll interrogate Dick a bit harder though. The post is fine, I think it fits with a flowing and 'standard' conversation between two folk who have just met.

Don't you think?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #289
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Excellent. Yes, I think it works. I'm glad you think so.

Interrogate away!

And bringing in other players sounds wonderful. The more the merrier.

-- Foley
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #290
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm game for about anything with the caveat that I may not be very good at doing it. I will try my best though.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:25 AM   #291
Dunwen
Wight

Thank you for the gracious welcome, Folwren. As Periwinkle is travelling from Tuckborough, I think she'll have to wait until the afternoon or early evening to arrive. If she arrives at this point in the RPG, the poor girl will have been on the road all night!

I look forward to gaming with all of you again!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #292
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, everyone, new and returning. I am glad to see you.

Folwren, Mormegil -- I was also wondering if we wanted to do anything with those pesky hobbit children? I'd be glad to take on one as well if we decide to develop that part of the story further.

If we do decide to go ahead, would we want to "save" their appearance till the evening. (I know days in the Inn can take a while to play.) Should they pop up in the afternoon or perhaps, with the other things going on now, they don't fit as well in the storyline and we should let them slip to the side?

Let me know what you think as well as any other posters out there who are interested in this.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #293
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Well as I intimated in my last post Kuric is getting tired. I was thinking of having him start falling asleep on you . That would give me a reason to have him head to his room soon.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #294
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Tevildo, I look forward to reading the outcome of that little spree, should it go ahead. I had sent an idea past Folwren, which might should it be taken up stretch things..I am not familiar with how the timeline is run when a storyline is being followed. But I'll post the idea here too, anyone is very welcome to join.

I thought seeing as the dwarf appears to be a heavy drinker (morm ), and someone with a few tales to tell, and my character not yet a completely rigid Ranger and stickler for rules, would challenge him and anyone who would like to take part to a story, song or poem contest, perhaps an introduction between us, could be be sufficiently loud as to "attract" the attention of the other parishioners, so giving them the opportunity to dip in also.

I thought perhaps it might allow the creative juices to flow and to encourage sprawling posts of excellence.

Though of course I will wait till you have finished your interaction with Kuric.

What does everyone think?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #295
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sounds good, Dunwen. Looks like this day will be played out pretty much to it's full... I sincerely hope you aren't kept waiting too long.

Tevildo, let's bring the hobbits children into the story later on in the day. I should definitely like to do something with them. Perhaps they will be able to show Kuric that hobbits aren't so boring after all - without the help of the famous Mister Bilbo. (We should perhaps plan somethng by PM and really surprise Mormegil. )

Manwe, I sure hope people like your idea...I want to see it happen.

-- Folwren
Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #296
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe, Folwren,

That contest sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure what Tollers would come up with (but then you never know....) but at the least he'd be an appreciative listener.

Slotting the children into the evening sounds fine. As time moves on, I'd certainly be up for some behind the scenes planning so that the children could pull a trick or two on Kuric/Mormegil. Perhaps as we get later in the day we could even recruit another poster or two to play the children? A few line bio might be helpful at that point?

For now though, on to the contest. Kuric probably wouldn't have to do more with Tollers than to wind down the conversation.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #297
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Tevildo, splendid. I'll 'finish up' with Dick if I may. And the idea of the contest was to reveal more about my character than I should, helped by the drink. So requiring me to beat a hasty retreat from the Inn.

I would love to play as one of the Hobbit children during the evening, if I may?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #298
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I would love to play as one of the Hobbit children during the evening, if I may?
Ah, that sounds very good, though I'm sure Folwren will be the one to give the nod to our individual profiles.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #299
Dunwen
Wight

Waiting

Folwren, no problem if I have to wait to introduce Periwinkle. If I become impatient, maybe I'll have her best friend stop by the Perch for a snack.

<scratches head>

But first I have to think her up
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #300
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha! Okay, Dunwen, sounds good.

--

Manwe, it would be very enjoyable to have you as one of the hobbit children.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #301
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Late is better than never?

Little wulufs as promised Kath, over to you

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #302
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Cheers Mith! Back to you.

Folwren, you have another person in the queue to talk to Dick.

Last edited by Kath; 01-10-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #303
Endgame

NAME: Severian (Sev) Baelin Kayde the Third; Son of Severius and Cithwin Kayde

RACE: Race of Man; Gondorian, Osgiliath

WEAPONS: “Sorrow” or Vor’gul is a family heirloom; a basic silver bastard sword (hand-and-a-half blade) that is lightweight and beautiful, crafted by the elves of Mirkwood it is still highly practical. Accompanying “Sorrow” is a simple black-lacquered steel round shield bearing the White Tree of Gondor upon its surface, strapped to his back. He also carries a skinning knife, weak oaken bow, and a small quiver of arrows.

APPEARANCE: Standing at 5’ 11” Severian is an average sized Gondorian male. He sports a lean but muscular build, thick, medium length, straight, brown hair. His eyes are green and haggard from lack of sleep due to long nights of weapons training. His chest and neck contain scars from all manner of creature from previous failed attempts at hunting. His green eyes are set in a firm and rugged face, riddled with small sunburn marks and a well-kept goatee.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Severian is your average male human. Prone to greed, lust, and want for power, yet behind all this lay the strengths of man, such as courage, bravery in hopeless situations, and the want to and ability to learn skills at an unreal rate. Severian tends to be hot-headed and to be slow to trust. He finds strength in being solitary, and distrusts all the other people, save fellow Gondorians and at times those hailing from Rohan. Severian can be highly persuasive when he wants to be and enjoys architecture, poetry, and writing, aside from battle of course.

HISTORY: Born and raised in the realm of Gondor at the city of Osgiliath Severian and his family have known strife all their lives. His father, a Captain of the Osgiliathan defense was killed when Severian was eighteen by the plague that struck the city in its early days. Since Severian has dedicated himself to his realm and the blade, spending most of his waking moments training until he was twenty-three. At that age Severian moved to Minas Tirith in hopes of becoming a Tower Guard for the White Citadel. Unfortunately, Severian was turned down, and with a heart full of sorrow he departed from the White City and his realm in search of adventure. Since then he has been traveling Middle-Earth in hopes of finding himself, and one day returning to bring his nation to the rightful power it deserves. For blood, for honor, for Gondor.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #304
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Cheers Mith! Back to you.

Folwren, you have another person in the queue to talk to Dick.
Kath I will post tomorrow pm but I think I need you to change the end of your post.

Having seen the old wolf killed he wouldn't be eager to bring the cubs back to the inn openly. Also he went straight out an may be ready for breakfast too even if it is just a chance to get some food to take back to the cubs. If you prefer I will PM an edit for you to insert in your post.

So my Cir does not want to talk to Dick.....at the moment...

Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #305
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sure PM me the edit and I'll change it. I did wonder whether I should leave it at the twins leaving the woods, should've stuck with the hunch!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #306
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I can understand the urge to push things on after the break but I'd like to just spin this a bit

Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #307
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Endgame,

Your play. I've just posted and had Dick approach your character.

-- Folwren
Old 01-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #308
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I will post for the twins tomorrow now but there is something puzzling me, I don't suppose it really matters but as far as I am concerned my char went straight out from his room and has only just arrived in the common room with his twin. But reading back I see that he is referred to as being already in the common room on his own! I know I was away for a while but I would appreciate him not being moved about by anyone other than Kath. At least without mentioning it to me. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #309
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I will post for the twins tomorrow now but there is something puzzling me, I don't suppose it really matters but as far as I am concerned my char went straight out from his room and has only just arrived in the common room with his twin. But reading back I see that he is referred to as being already in the common room on his own! I know I was away for a while but I would appreciate him not being moved about by anyone other than Kath. At least without mentioning it to me. Thanks.
Oh, I am sorry! I had thought that after seeing the wolves, Cir had gone back inside and sat down for breakfast. Apparantly I was wrong. I'll go back and edit, if you like.

-- Folwren
Old 01-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #310
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Oh, I am sorry! I had thought that after seeing the wolves, Cir had gone back inside and sat down for breakfast. Apparantly I was wrong. I'll go back and edit, if you like.

-- Folwren
It wasn't really your fault Folwren ... Kath's Cir told mine to go to breakfast having seen the wolves from their window but he didn't actually go. however with so many bods to monitor I can understand how it happened.

I will leave the decision about editing up to you and if you think anyone would notice. I spoke more for future reference.. and even if you edit, Forest Elf's would still be there.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-18-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: factual error re sequence of events.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #311
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

For all players:

When someone manipulates your character - please ask them to change their posts here on the discussion thread or by PM.

If that person does not respond to you - please leave a note for me, here on the discussion thread or by PM, about the problem. State the member's name, the post #, and what needs to be edited. I will take care of the problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note, I've edited Forest Elf's post. The reference to Mithalwen's Cir being in the dining room has been removed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forest Elf

Please check your PM's.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 01-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #312
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I will leave the decision about editing up to you and if you think anyone would notice. I spoke more for future reference.. and even if you edit, Forest Elf's would still be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
Please note, I've edited Forest Elf's post. The reference to Mithalwen's Cir being in the dining room has been removed.
Hm. In which case, then, I think I'll edit my post as well.

Don't worry, Mith, I don't feel too guilty.

-- Folwren
Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #313
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I do a bit though and I am sorry for causing a nuisance... it is just after having gone AWOL and being rather absent minded I was worried that I might have posted and forgotten .. I am planning on being rather more active henceforth.

Anyway with his permission the twins have introduced themselves to Boro's man of the Mark

Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #314
Crystal Cobweb

Silmaril

NAME: Jadelen

RACE: Elf

WEAPONS: A beautiful bow and quiver of arrows given to Jadelen by her grandmother. It is very special to Jadelen, even though she never has used as she never has had reason to.

APPEARANCE: Jadelen is slim and tall, but slightly short for her kind, this fault in her appearance really does bother Jadelen. This height insecurity causes her to be standoffish at times. She has beautiful, piercing, grey eyes and particularly long golden hair which she always wears down, even though it gets in her way most of the time. Her favourite colour is purple, especially deep purple. She mainly wears long flowing dresses. Jadelen always has in her possession her favourite deep purple cloak with her initials threaded at the bottom of her cloak in golden thread.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Jadelen tries to come across as really graceful and feminine, as her mother puts great emphasis on being well mannered and graceful. Although she is the complete opposite, especially when alone or with her close friend Enpauriel, better known as Cir, who isn’t the best influence on her. She is very clumsy and graceful, even though she tries not to be. She loves to get up to lots of mischief and loves adventures. Curiosity always gets the better of her and this often gets her in many sticky situations. Being an only child Jadelen is somewhat spoilt and bossy. She is set in her ways and is unwilling to change her point of views. She can be insecure at times and this makes her come across as rather standoffish and cold even though she really is a caring and kind elf.

HISTORY: Born to Gavithion and Helanore. Jadelen is an only child and grew up in Rivendell. Her closest friend Cir left to Mithlond to visit her aunt Mithalwen. Jadelen, who became extremely bored with the absence of her friend decided to, without her mothers consent, catch up with Cir and her twin brother. She recently received a letter from Cir indicating her whereabouts, The Golden Perch Inn. Thus Jadelen went on a little journey to find her friend, hoping to find her still staying in the Inn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it is alright... I have made sure with Kath that Jadelen being a close friend of Cir is alright. If there are any problems just notify me.

~ Crystal Cobweb

LINKED TO POST #2 OF THE DISCUSSION THREAD

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-12-2007 at 02:57 AM.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #315
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hi Crystal, since it is OK with Kath I guess that is OK with me too but the letter doesn't work since the Twins arrived at the inn by chance only the previous afternoon - may i suggest you substitute some Osanwe Kenta?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #316
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Argh I knew there was something I'd forgotten to tell you Mith! Sorry. Can we do Osanwe Kenta at this young age?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #317
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It is something that depends on the closeness of the relationship between the person but it also takes more skill and practice especially to communicate over long distances ... in Incarnates transmission of thought requires strengthening to be effective. Strengthening can be by affinity, by urgency, or by authority.
Affinity may be due to kinship; for this may increase the likeness of hröa to hröa, and so of the concerns and modes of thought of the indwelling fëar, kinship is also normally accompanied by love and sympathy. Affinity may come simply from love and friendship, which is likeness or affinity of fëa to fëa.
Urgency is imparted by great need of the "sender" (as in joy, grief or fear); and if these things are in any degree shared by the "receiver" the thought is the clearer received. Authority may also lend force to the thought of one who has a duty towards another, or of any ruler who has a right to issue commands or to seek the truth for the good of others.
These causes may strengthen the thought to pass the veils and reach a recipient mind. But that mind must remain open, and at the least passive. If, being aware that it is addressed, it then closes, no urgency or affinity will enable the sender's thought to enter.

It also requires openess ...so I tend to think that young elves might be more able to communicate between themselves than with their elders - equivalent of human teenagers grunting at their parents but spending aeons on the phone or IM with friends

Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #318
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Wow, Mith you understand the teens better than I do. Anyway, I think I can get a response later on tonight, if not it'll come in the morning.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #319
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Err that quote was from Tolkiens essay ..... but you can pick up a lot even in a short teaching career ...and a term spent as a matron (house mother) in a boarding school looking after 150 kids was quite intensive (the equivalent of 2 children for 19 years ) I actually quite like teenagers ..as long as I am not stuck in a room with 30 of them at a time
Anyway I look forward to your response and hope Edric doesn't flee from the troublesome pair ... I have a feeling their aunt may attempt to recapture them ere long..... then he may meet a more serious elf....

Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #320
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Crystal,

Looks great. Go ahead and put back the post with the edits you suggested to me by pm. Just erase my comments from the box.