Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2003, 04:14 PM   #81
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Evren’s eyeslids drooped a bit as she walked along the edge of the path, treading carefully, staring at the beautiful sunset. Donlamir had gone to scout, veering from the path to the left. They walked slowly, so that he would have no trouble catching up to them when he had looked around a bit. Suddenly, just as the two of them reached a clearing, a figure burst out of the bushes, breathing heavily. Evren and Pherdur’s swords clinked out of their scabbards immediately, before they realized that the figure was only Don.

"Orcs!" he gasped. "Behind me!" For a moment, they all froze, hearing trampling feet quite close, running unmistakably towards them. Then, quietly, trying to banish from their minds the thought of what would happen to them, they grouped into a semicircle, half facing the side that they knew the orcs would come from, for they had no time to run, nor did they know the speed of their enemies.

So, when they orcs burst into the clearing, they were ready, three small figures, the dying sun shining on their swords. They were lucky, because the reflected light blinded for a moment the orcs skidding out of the woods. But it was only a moment, and the orcs began to spread to all sides of the clearing, snarling and cursing at the human soldiers. "Prepare to defend yourself!" Pherdur shouted. They now stood in a tiny circle, so that the orcs couldn’t get at their backs. But it meant that they couldn’t have a wide swing, unless they wanted to save the orcs some work...

Evren couldn’t even tell how many orcs there were, as she knew that looking anywhere except to the sides from which she might be hit could easily cost her a limb. All that she knew was that there were too many, probably three or four times more than them, but her mind could be playing tricks on her, she knew, and they might even be as few as themselves… and most of their weapons seemed worse... So maybe they were equally matched... all of this went through Evren’s head in a split second, and then an orc launched himself straight towards her. Evren had no time to think, no time for anything complicated or fancy. Acting only on impulse, she merely thrust her sword forward- and the orc impaled himself on it. It was only then that Evren noticed, while battling the inclination to be sick, that a few of the orcs had no armor. It was an advantage, of course, but not much. Because now her sword was weighted with the bulk of the first orc as a second came charging at her.

She raised her sword with an effort, and managed to spear the second, though she was not sure how exactly. Then, just as the third rushed towards her, skidding on the ground, which, Evren realized with a vague sense of neausea, was covered in blood, she shook off the corpses which fell with a sickening thud to the ground. She hit the third... but her sword slid right off... something was wrong... only then she realized that this orc was wearing armor, and that he had just swooped his sword towards her... she knew how she ought to have been defending herself, but she felt as though her arms were made of lead, and time was too fast... at her left, she saw one of the me sway and fall, and, out of impulse she stepped in front of him quickly, and, as she held onto her sword tighter, she managed to dodge that of the orc.

But only a moment later, the blunt side of an axe hit the unprotected back of her head, and she fell too, stunned. The last of them, whose face was terribly blurred to Evren’s eyes, still stood, but with nobody at his back, it was soon hit, and he fell like a rock. The last thing Evren saw before unconsiousness claimed her was a groups of orcs closing in about her and the two men laying unmoving and bloody as she at her either side, one of their bloody hands on hers, but none of them could move... she drifted painfully into a swoon, knowing that both other soldiers were also unconsious. She felt a feeling of having betrayed the group of soldiers... especially that man who led them, Fededhor. She knew he had not quite trusted her, and she still could not understand why he had let her go with the men when she had volunteered... all of these thoughts rushed through Evren’s mind in a frenzy, as though pushing to get through before the door was closed. And closed it was. For now Evren was only vaguely aware of the orc who lifted her roughly and lashed her ankles and wrists all together, tying a single rope to hold onto to them, and threw her over his back like a sack, unaware at all that the men on her sides were undergoing the same treatment. The only thought that managed to keep a hold in her mind was that she had betrayed somebody... then, as she jolted along on the orc’s back, even that thought slid out and all that was left was a darkness too empty for words.

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-19-2003, 11:39 PM   #82
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Telmir let out a bloodcurdling shriek as he watched the spider advance toward him. He struggled in the web, but there was no part of his body that wasn't firmly entangled. Morachion's eyes glimmered in the faint light, and Telmir screamed again. He sobbed in terror and tears ran down his face. "Mother!" he yelled aloud as the spider's fangs sank into his shoulder.

The small limp bundle was easily wrapped and dragged to the side for later, and Morachion retreated to the shadows once more.

Farien heard the scream and jerked upright. "Eregiath!" she whispered, clutching at his sleeve. Her husband had been sleeping but she shook him urgently awake. "Eregiath, that's Telmir! I know it's Telmir!" her voice rose in hysteria. "What are they doing to my child!" she clung to his hand.

Eregiath struggled to his feet, dragging his hysterical wife with him. "Hush, Farien!" he snapped, in a voice filled with irritation brought on by fatigue and worry. Immediately he regretted it, as Farien's face crumpled into a look of utter despair. Pulling her close he kissed her forehead and spoke soothingly to her. She wept and buried her face in his shoulder. Eregiath felt like crying too. All her defiance, all her strength, brought to this. He hated the orcs, hated Mordor.

Looking over Farien's shoulder as he held her he watched an orc running to the place the screams had come from. "Farien," he whispered, "get a stone... Can you distract that orc long enough for me to get to his weapons?" Farien looked up at him, her tear filled eyes glowing. She nodded.

Disregarding everything else, Farien and Eregiath hurled through the doorway. The one orc was standing beside a massive spiderweb. Farien barely looked at it, but threw herself onto the orc's back, smashing at it with a fist sized stone. The ugly creature shook her off like a fly and she fell back against the stone walls. Regaining her feet she flung herself at it again and clung. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Eregiath fly out of the shadows. He hit the unsuspecting orc from behind, and all three landed in a heap on the stone floor. Farien's breath hissed out of her as the orc fell on top of her. But she heard the ring of steel and realized that Eregiath had its sword.

"Farien move!" he screamed, as he raised the sword above it's head. She didn't think she could, but she shoved the bulk of the orc off her and squirmed out from underneath it, just as Eregiath's stroke fell.

Farien fumbled at the fallen orc's waist, coming up with a dagger. Breathless she turned to Eregiath. "Where's Telmir?" Eregiath's face looked glum. Farien's eyes went wild. "Where is he Eregiath? Telmir!" Her husband lifted one hand and pointed to a small silk wound bundle beside the doorway. Farien drew breath sharply. That wasn't Telmir. Couldn't be.

One stroke of the dead orc's dagger opened the curtain of web, and Farien rushed into the small room.

"MAMMA!" A shriek from the corner of the room. A barely recognizable Serra flew out of the shadows and into Farien's arms. Arrin was close behind, pale and silent. She scooped them both up and held them in her arms. Her eyes scanned the room for Telmir, but he wasn't there.

The children... she thought, wincing at the sight of their terrified faces. That one must be Georelelia's girl, she thought, gazing at the white face of Emilia, who had seen the spider take Telmir. The two little boys were Iavas'... and the baby. Oh the poor baby!

Eregiath spoke from behind her. He was holding Telmir in his arms, still half shrouded in silky threads. His face was a pasty white color "We can't take all of them, Farien." he said sadly. "We need to get Telmir out." She nodded slowly, and the two of them dashed from the room, their children clutched tightly.

The rest of the prisoners sat up fast as Farien and Eregiath darted through toward the main exit. Feet stumbling a bit on the uneven stone floor Farien fought to keep up. She was carrying two children as she ran, and she feared that Eregiath would leave her behind. A lone orc guard stood by the doorway, Eregiath slashed at it with the sword and it fell back in momentary surprise. It was all they needed. Farien and Eregiath dashed out the door and into the woods, the bellowing guard the last sound they heard from the caves.

Some yards away from the orc camp Farien slowed, gasping for air. Eregiath heard her footsteps slow and turned and waited. "We mustn't stay." he said quickly. "They'll find us."

She shook her head wearily, "I can't run anymore." Tears dripped down her dirty face and she sobbed softly. "I just can't."

Tiny fingers moved in her hair as she stood defeated, and a small voice said in her ear, "It's okay now, Serra. Mamma came, it's okay." Farien kissed Arrin's head, coming back to herself a little.

"Yes, Arrin, it's alright now, Mamma came."
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 05-23-2003, 12:42 AM   #83
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Evren was hiding... hiding from orcs. They were running after her, and suddenly she realized that she was no longer behind the bush where she had just been. She almost screamed with terror, her breath coming in shallow gasps or not coming at all, and ran for some shadow... but as she neared it she saw that it was not a tree but the back of an orc that she was sliding towards, slipping on mud. She turned and ran, but they saw her, and, finally finding the tree she had been seeking, she reached up and grabbed the lowest branch- but the orcs were coming so fast- she was slipping- she pulled herself up and breathed a sigh of sudden relief, forgetting that the orcs might easily fell the tree, or burn it, taking her down as well. Something protruded over the next branch, so she grabbed it- and screamed as it grabbed her back, an orcish face coming out of the foliage above her and leering at her as she struggled in its hands...

Evren awoke painfully and biting back a screech, hurting all over, unable to move, and suddenly feeling that she did not have enough air to scream. She gasped- and the welcome air came into her mouth, cooling her down a bit. Her head hurt as though it had been bludgeoned with an axe- and suddenly Evren remembered. It had. She suddenly remembered the fight, and hoped fervently that she was alive and would stay so, for a while at least, and the same for her two companions, who seemed yet to be, from the human moans she heard, echoing her own. She knew now that the jolting sensation she was experiencing and the cricks running through her body was caused by the fact that her ankles and wrists were all tied together in a knot from a rope thrown over an orc's back, and the rest of her was bouncing on the rocky road, turning her more black and blue than she already was. Managing to turn her head a bit, she saw an orc on either side of the one she was tied to, each carrying one of the soldiers. Pherdur was on her left and Don on her right, both seeming just barely conscious. She managed a weak, terrified, and slightly concerned smile and nod to Don, (for he looked about as badly hurt as she), he answering in the same way, and was just turning her head towards Pherdur as "his" orc noticed her awake, and slapped her upside the face, making it burn terribly, his hand slipping in her blood. He wiped it contempuously on her clothes and turned away. She managed to keep her consciousness, though with difficulty, and tried another weak smile, which was this time lost in the blood on her lips. She felt a terrible state, and probably looked it too, the ropes digging into her skin as she struggled, her clothes torn, her hair stained with sticky red. Suddenly, Evren thought she saw a pair of eyes- or perhaps it was more than one- peering from the side of the road, staring at them with pity. Those eyes looked too human to belong to a forest deer or other animal... she nodded to Don and Pherdur, though every movement of her neck was a terrible effort, and pointed with her chin towards the bushes, then fell back in her bonds, exhausted from keeping her weight up so long...
Old 05-23-2003, 04:00 AM   #84
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A short distance away from the track Don stopped suddenly as he caught sight of a large group of orc scum running down the hill in what he thought to be a be line for the trees where he was crouching.

"AFTER THAT TARK SCUM!!!" Retched the largest of the orcs.

Don now in two minds to stay and try to exact some revenge or warn the others and delay an obvious death chose the second. The orcs were now no less than 200 yards away so Don decided to make a break back to his companions.

The sound of the orcs feet getting closer with each breath.

ORCS” Gasped Don bursting through the undergrowth “behind me” as he finished those last few words he realised his friends had swords drawn ready.

As the orcs tore into the opening the three charge into them knowing, expecting death.

The front man into the fight Pherdur took the burden from two orcs by removing their heads with an almighty blow. Followed by Donlamir who slid to his knees removing the legs from a larger orc. Whilst Evren parried two orcs away with a piece of masterful sword work.

“Pherdur" cried Don as he realised an orc was running toward his companion. Pherdur turned but was already engaged with another orc, Don already at a full run blocked the blow delivered by the orc then ended it with a fierce blow to the neck.

“Thank you” mimed Pherdur the look in his eyes changing.

Don spun around to see the leader of this rabid group raising his sword it was to late to block. Then it smashed the hilt of the sword into Donlamir’s unprotected face bring a nothingness.Collapsing to the floor his fathers helm rolled from his skull to become trampled, defiled by his sworn enemies.

The last thing in his mind was REVENGE.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Donlammenion ]
Old 05-23-2003, 05:05 AM   #85
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Shouts roused Lara for a moment, long enough to see Farien run out with her children. Running out, she was escaping…Lara’s head rolled. “Lara…Laila?” Lara’s face cracked with a wide smile.“Daddy’s home!” she whispered to Laila. Scooping her daughter up she went to the top of the stairs and looked down.
“There you are!” said Ered with a grin, and he rushed up two steps at a time, grabbing them both into a hug. “I thought perhaps you had run away”
Lara giggled. “I tried, but couldn’t find my shoes”
”Aha! So I was right to hide them then, wasn’t I Laila?”
Laila gurgled happily as Ered tickled her chin.
“You are not allowed to leave me”
“No, I won’t leave you”
Lara shook her head firmly, eyes closed. Slowly she opened them. Ered’s smiling face was gone, and so was her house. Her smile faded. A woman was looking at her with worry in her eyes.
“Laila?” she asked faintly. She couldn’t see the baby anywhere. “L-Laila? Laila?”
Lara tried to get up, but she felt very weak. And empty. It wasn’t only hunger, although that was a part of it. “Ered?” she said slowly. A memory came to her. Blood… Lara retched, but there was nothing in her stomach. Silently she began to weep.

Darkness fell in her head again.
“Lara” The well known voice called her name again.
“Ered?” Slowly his face came to her, smiling. This time they weren’t at home, though, and Lara knew he was dead. Perhaps I’m dead too, she thought. Somehow the idea wasn’t as comforting as she had thought a few minutes earlier.
“Lara, where is Laila?”
“In the other room. Ered, you…you died. I’m going insane”
“Well, you’ve certainly changed from the woman I knew. She wouldn’t just sit there while Laila was in another room. You can get her back. Or anyway, you can try.”
“I have tried. The Orcs…” Lara whimpered in memory.
“Then try something different. Something that the Orcs won’t catch you doing”
“What Ered?”
“I know you can do it. Who persuaded your father to let us marry? I think I would rather face Orcs!”
Lara smiled, and Ered’s face faded.
“Ered…Ered!”
All Lara could see was Georelelia. Ered was gone, forever. Somehow though, her emptiness had been filled up, with white-hot anger and cold determination.
“If Farien got out, so can we” she said to Georelelia.
Shakily she got to her feet.
“We just have to decide what to do.”
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-23-2003, 01:19 PM   #86
Malcu Luinthol
Pile O'Bones

Malcu Luinthol has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Unglusch continued his assault on his leader, it was a fight to the death for control of the group, almost animal like. He raised his shield to parry a blow before leaping backwards with an almost acrobatic quality and raising his bow for a close range shot. He reached for an arrow, fitted it on the string and fired, laughing evilly...
Old 05-24-2003, 02:52 PM   #87
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pherdur opened his eyes and in his blured vision he noticed that the orcs were taking them somewhere on their Wargs, most likely to a prison. He tried to move except he felt a large stinging pain in his right leg, and remembered that in the fight the Orc had stabbed him with a spear.

He looked to his right noticing that Evren was just regaining consiusness aswell, she seemed as if she was unable to move also. As she turned her head, he saw the orc carrying him raise his hand and hit her round the face. Pherdur felt angry as this happened and wanted to hit the orc back, but he could find no strength to do so. Then, Turning to Donlamir he noticed that he also was in pain and could not move either.

Pherdur, Donlamir and Evren had no option but to see where the orcs were going to take them and had no strength to show any resistance to them.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:45 AM   #88
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

Georelelia panicked…. Out! “Yes we have to escape soon. Just wait here for a minute” she said to Lara. Georelelia started to push the wall. “What are you doing?” Lara asked looking confused. “The other day I lay against the wall and something moved it never crossed my mind before but maybe there is a loose rock” Georelelia said while pushing against the wall. Lara started to push and so did another woman. A while later everyone as pushing.

The pushed and pushed. Lara pushed a certain area and a small little ray of light shone through the hole. “Georelelia, look” Lara shouted. “Oh my, you found it! There must be something on the other side” Georelelia exclaimed. “But wait before we push again we must get the children! You never know what might happen if we push that one rock, the whole cave might just collapse on us” Georelelia said wordily. “Lara you need to get the children, while I gather everyone together” Georelelia said. Lara crawled through the little gap between the boulder. “Right everyone! Get all your belongings we will soon hopefully be out!” Georelelia said, in a serious voice.

Everyone was busy gathering their belongings. For once Georelelia saw smiling faces again. She took a peak through the boulder to see where Lara was. “I hope she is ok” Georelelia said to herself. She heard two deep voices, orcs voices! She eavesdropped on their conversation. “Pirk wants them dead, and he wants them dead now! Those three are way too cleaver for us, the will be out in no time, they think too much!” The one orc said. “Ok, I’ll go get the axe, I’ll be back now. Which three did ya say I must kill?” the other orc said. “Don’t you ever listen you idiot! Lara, Georelelia and Farien I think it was” the one orc shouted! They both walked down the one passage. Georelelia’s heart raced.

Georelelia heard whispering coming from the passage. It must be Lara and the children she thought. She was right, one by one the children crawled through the gap, she saw Emilia but she could not hug her or love her now, not at the moment. They were all in and then Lara came in. Georelelia pulled Lara to a side, “they are going to kill us, we need to get out now!” Lara had a worried expression on her face. “Ok everyone to that side of the wall” Lara screamed.

Georelelia pushed the one rock out, nothing happened! Just a medium hole was in the wall with a huge ray of light shinning through. Georelelia looked through the hole. It was like a dream. She saw outside the sun, the grass, the mountains.

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 05-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #89
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

Farien gasped for breath as she followed Eregiath through the forest. Her arms were aching, but she dared not put Serra down to walk on her own. She might fall, she might get left behind. Farien wouldn't risk her children again. Pausing for a rest in the undergrowth she laid her face on Eregiath's shoulder.

"Quiet, Farien." he whispered. "I hear footsteps." He sent her a flashing smile, and suddenly she heard them too. Footsteps marching to a regular beat. The Soldiers of Gondor were coming for them at last. Farien's eyes lit up, and without letting go of Telmir, Eregiath stooped and kissed her quickly. "It's almost over." he said. "We must go out and meet them."

The footsteps were drawing very close as Farien and Eregiath stumbled out of the bushes onto the wide path in front of them. The first indication that something was wrong was a shrill scream from Arrin. "No, mamma! Orkes!" She sobbed against Farien's neck, as she and Eregiath looked at each other in horror.

The first orc to come around the corner gave a savage yell as he saw them standing in the path. "Tarks! They've escaped!" Eregiath drew the sword he'd stolen from the dead orc in the cave and stood protectively in front of the little group, a desperate light shining in his eyes. The lead orcs rushed at Eregiath and he held them at bay. Three orcs near the back threw large bundles to the ground and rushed to join the fray.

Farien stared at the bundles, as they began to move and wriggle. "Eregiath!" she yelled, "Soldiers!" Without stopping to think she rushed across the space between them and pulled the dead orc's dagger from her belt. The Soldiers' bonds were quickly slit, and those of a young woman who was with them. The girl stood and brushed herself off.

One of the soldiers, who seemed to be wounded in the leg spoke to her. "Go back, Evren. Go tell Fededhor where we are!" he gasped. Farien's eyes widened. There were soldiers nearby? The other soldier clambered to his feet again, giving the girl, Evren, a sharp shove.

"Go! We'll cover you!" He said roughly. Farien turned to where the soldiers were looking. She saw the orcs beginning to overwhelm Eregiath, Telmir lying on the ground near his feet, still pale and cold.

"Take my little boy. Please!" She cried desperately to Evren. "He's hurt, please take him!" With that she threw herself into the fray, stabbing wildly at the orcs with her dagger. She knew it was hopeless, that they'd all be recaptured. But if only the girl could get away. If only the soldiers knew where to find them! In Farien's tired desperate heart, there was a flutter of hope.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 05-25-2003, 03:40 PM   #90
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Evren’s heart beat faster as she was thrown onto the ground, aching terribly all over. There was some commotion nearer the front of the line of orcs, but she could not see it as she was lying facing the other direction, and was far too winded to struggle enough to turn over. She could see, however, that Donlamir and Pherdur could see what was happening, so in a whisper she asked: “what is it?” They merely went on staring and suddenly she felt a hand flip her back over gently, a far softer hand than that of any of the orcs. It was a human woman! Pherdur said urgently: "go back, Evren. Go tell Fededhor where we are!" as the woman struggled to untie her. For a moment she blanched, then nodded, though it hurt terribly to do so. Donlamir pulled himself up with an effort, then pushed her, hard enough to hurt, but not hard enough to make her fall. "Go! We'll cover you!" he said, seeming to understand that she was reluctant to leave them here. She looked quickly at the orcs, realizing there was a man fighting them. She saw also that he was beginning to give in, beginning to fall back. A boy lay at the side of the road. "Take my little boy. Please!" the woman yelled. "He's hurt, please take him!" Evren nodded, picking him up as she passed, his arms curling around her, making her hurt even more. As she looked back from the forest, she saw the man falling, and the woman running into the group to help him. Pherdur and Donlamir stood up, though it was obvious that what they both wanted, just like she wanted, was just a rest, and stood by the edge of the clearing. It hurt Evren to know she was the only one, that the rest would be recaptured, surely. But she could help. She walked faster, unable to run, heaving the boy over her shoulder. He did not protest. Evren was scared for him, as though she had never handled children before, it was obvious that he was sick, or hurt, or both. His face was tinged green, and the only time he had moved even a bit was when she had picked him up.
It seemed to Evren that she had been plodding on for hours, dropping what remained of her strength along the way, when finally she heard guarded voices. She could not even feel happiness for what was happening. The boy seemed to be stiffening even more, though she tried to do what she could for them. She had found a lot on her way back. She had not thought anything at all along the way, which helped, and now she knew how to dodge the branches whipping in her face, most of the time, how to forget that she was carrying something, how not to slip in her own blood, and to forget that she had left the others behind, to a possible death. She was only worried that she might be traced, because she still left a slight bloody trail behind her, but when she could bend over, she did, throwing leaves over the mess. She saw the clearing, finally, and the men pacing it. She stumbled forward, the boy suddenly seeming like dead weight to her. She looked up as she fell flat into the clearing, at the faces of the men. She would have to tell them what had happened to the others... but she could not bring herself to it just then, though Fededhor’s face looked troubled and surprised. She dropped her eyes, and hoped they would believe her when she woke.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:37 PM   #91
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Morachion had slipped out of the cave. He alone couldn't stop such a large group. He scuttled along the side of the cliff, peering into the distance. The main group of orcs must be out there somewhere.

Suddenly, a rock a few meters below him on the cliff was pushed out, and a head stuck out, followed by a body. It was Georeliela.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:13 AM   #92
The Ruling Ring
Haunting Spirit

The Ruling Ring has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pirk roared, stumbling back as the arrow slammed into his upper chest, bursting through the rusty links in his armor. He ripped it out in one fell motion, the blood spurting like a fountain, spattering all over Unglusch's face and neck.

"What do you think you're doing?" he gurgled at his subordinate, thrusting his sword forward, just managing to lodge it in his upper arm. Pirk's vision blurred with the pain and increasing damage being done. He took a second to look wildly behind him, to see why his other lackeys were not helping him. They were gone...they must have left with the humans already. Pirk felt more anger swell within him, and he yanked the sword out of Unglusch's arm, aiming right for his face now.

"This wasn't a good idea," Fededhor muttered, turning and walking back towards the men that were left.

Why had he sent three away? Why hadn't they all gone? Or, why didn't they, themselves, go on the attack now? He looked up at the others.

"Men," he said.

Suddenly, he was cut off by a scuffling noise, and a great rustling as it sounded like the hedges close by were broken down. There was a familiar, faint cry, and Fededhor turned to see Evren, bloodied and battered, fall before them. There was something in her arms...

"Evren!" he cried, running to her and kneeling at her side. He gently placed his hand on her face. Thankfully, it was still plenty warm, though her whole head looked to be in bad shape.

Fededhor tore his eyes from her face, looking at the bundle in her arms. He gave a gasp of utter horror as he realized that it was a child. A little boy. He was cold as ice, and green in the face, as well as stiff as a board. Fededhor looked helplessly behind him, as he knew not what to do with the child. Supposing he was dead...

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: The Ruling Ring ]
Old 05-30-2003, 02:24 PM   #93
Malcu Luinthol
Pile O'Bones

The Eye

Unglusch ducked, avoiding the blow Pirk had aimed for his head before deftly rolling around behind his opponent and thrusting his spear towards him. Pirk wasn't falling for this trick however, he quickly parried the blow with his sword before leaping up and pinning Unglusch to the ground.
Unglusch looked strangely calm for somebody who was about to die, and Pirk paused to wonder about this. It was a fatal error. From the shadows of a nearby hedgerow Grulfang the warg leapt upon his master's assailant, tearing at his throat. A few rips later and Pirk was dead.
Slowly, Unglusch rose to his feet, tired and wounded from the combat. He sneered, noting his crafty victory. He would return to camp and sieze command, then those tarks would get what they deserved... Death.
He drank a deep draught from a flask that he carried by his side, numbing the pain of his wound, before mounting Grulfang and heading back to the orc base.
He heard loud cries and shouts as he approached. Voices of men. Voices of tarks.
All was not as it should be. Perhaps he had waited too long to attack. Perhaps he had attacked to soon. If Pirk had remained alive now he could have escaped much more easily. It was too late to ponder on the past now. He would see what was happening in the camp, and claim victory if it was possible, or flee as a lucky survivor otherwise. It had worked before, why shouldn't it work again. His lord would surely favour his bravery anyway. With a sneer he dismounted and stealthily led Grulfang into the camp...
Old 05-30-2003, 04:58 PM   #94
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

Farien struggled vainly as the orcs overwhelmed her family again. Her last thought before collapsing into darkness was that at least Telmir was safe.

Eregiath fought on a little longer, till the rusted blade of the battered orc sword snapped in two. Suddenly finding himself defenseless he was quickly overwhelmed. The man watched helplessly as ropes were tied around Farien's arms and legs, and around the wrists of his two tiny daughters. Soon they were all bouncing along the rough road again, being carried back to captivity and death among the nasty creatures. Eregiath exchanged glances with one of the captive soldiers.

Telmir's dreams were troubled. Multifaceted eyes gleamed in every shadow. Emilia's mother came and went, uncaring of what happened to them. The babies cried and he had nothing to feed them. Telmir stirred and cried out.

He felt hands holding him, a girl's voice spoke as they stumbled along. Telmir couldn't tell where they were going. He didn't know the girl who was carrying him. He struggled to stay conscious, but failed, slipping back into his terrifying dreams.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:39 PM   #95
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

A hole in the wall! Lara felt exhilerated. Ered, thank you for helping me. she said silently. Pain threatened to overwhelm her agin, but Lara pushed it away to deal with later. She had to get the children. The Orcs were preoccupied with Farien's escape- only one was left at the entrance of the cave, and he looked worried if such a thing was possible. But I must be careful...

Quietly she crept through the opening in the rock. Those monsters chose the perfect prison! I've never heard of one so easy to escape from. Lara shook her head wonderingly as she emerged. The children... There were many, looking dirty and hungry. Many were crying, boys and girls.

All their faces had turned towards her as she fumbled with the rock, all her efforts at silence could not quite stop sound. We must just pray we will be safe. A soft babble of whispers had grown as she appeared.

"Hush" she whispered, finger to her lips. Obediently the children quieted. Lara gazed around, desperate to see Laila. No, I must get them out. Get them ALL out she told herself firmly. That comes first.

"Through here" she whispered, pointing to the hole. "We need complete silence or you'll attract the guard."
The children began to file through, expectation on their faces. Please let this work! Lara thought desperately.

Suddenly she noticed a blonde girl carrying a baby.
"Laila" she whispered, eyes shining. She reached out to take the baby.
"Thank you for looking after her" she whispered to the girl. "What is your name?"
"Emilia" she answered.
"Georelelia's daughter? Well, you must go through."
Lara looked back. There was only two or three children left. She followed them, and Emilia through to where Georelelia was standing looking at the wall.

"They are going to kill us, we need to get out now" Georelelia whispered to Lara as she returned.
"Let us hope the cave does not collapse" she whispered to Georelelia. "Everyone to that side of the wall" Lara continued.
Geoelelia pushed, Lara held her breath. SUddenly there was a hole. Outside, there was life. Lara kissed Laila's forehead.
"We're going to get out of here, baby"

Georelelia went through first.
"Quickly, children" Lara whispered, standing worriedly as they began to pour out.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 06-01-2003, 08:04 PM   #96
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The children crept out one by one. Each one looked at Georeliela with sleep in their eyes.. and pain and exhausted ness. Lara gave a worried smile almost to say… yes we are free but what next?

Finally all the children were out. The cave was slowly crumbling.. only slightly, it was almost like a drizzle of sand. Georeliela panicked, they needed to get out. Georeliela went out first then Lara then others. There were only five people left. As she watched the people climbing out the cave she heard heavy breathing behind her and warm breath against her neck. She turned around and gave out a shriek and the huge monster scowled and started to snap at her. His huge teeth were ready to bit and the venom ready to paralyse. Georeliela hit the monster and panicked. The great monster started walk towards her wanting to bite her but he was walking in the direction of the drop his intention must have been to push her of the cliff. She hit him and swung around. Now she had him to drop of the cliff but she was so scared she could not breath and she was shacking and her heart was beating like the drummers role. She had to try and stay away from his mouth for he might bite, and the deadly venom penetrate through out her body. She bit his one arm and he screeched, and fell to the ground.

Georeliela swung around to see what was happening with all the people. Before she could say anything she saw the cave collapsing. “No!” Lara screeched. “How many were left?” Georeliela said panic stricken. “Three” Lara aid with tears running down her face. Georeliela turned around not wanting the others to see her tears. But before she had a chance to sob she spotted Pirk walking down the road as she looked down the cliff. Pirk looked up the cliff and screamed “they have escaped”

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 06-02-2003, 02:24 PM   #97
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pherdur glanced at Evren as she lifted the small child onto her shoulder and carried it away. He then turned to the man fighting the orcs and noticed the blade he was carrying shatter into pieces across the floor and he was then defenceless.

"No," he thought to himself as the orcs captured the man and came running after Donlamir, himself and the woman that had cut the ropes on their wrists before. They tried to resist the orcs but it was hopeless with so many of them. One orc grabbed Pherdurs hands and feet and tied them back together so he couldn’t escape.

"Not getting away that easily!" the orc said as he lent over to him laughing in a vile way, Pherdur felt anger rise up inside of him.

"That’s what you think," Pherdur said in a stern voice, the orc turned around and the smile left his face as he took a swift punch at Pherdur. He could barely feel the orcs hand hit him as his face felt so numb. Once again the men were captured but luckily Evren had got away safely and was going to warn Fededhor and the others that the men had been captured.

Only a few minutes later, but it almost seemed like hours to Pherdur, they arrived at the orc camp, they were taken down into a small cave and thrown on the ground violently. Pherdur sat up noticing some other people being held captive here, he looked to see how many guards there were and at that moment there was no hope for escape for the people.

[ June 03, 2003: Message edited by: Phervasaion ]
Old 06-06-2003, 02:42 PM   #98
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Morachion plummeted down the cliff, landing in a heap of rubble. His wounds hurt greatly, but they would heal. He walked slowly away, hobbling slightly as he felt twinges of pain in his legs.

Suddenly, he stopped. There, right in front of him, was an orc, dead. It was one of the snagas, cleaved in two by some huge sword. He passed it by.

Then, he halted again. The body of another orc lay pinned to a tree by an arrow. The arrowhead dripped with blood. Morachion pondered this, and the female human's ability to throw him, one of the great spiders of Mordor, from a ledge. Perhaps humans were not to be fought with. He would not interfere in their actions again, thought the spider, as he walked away, far to the north, far from the terrible men of Gondor.

Morachion was seen in later days, living among the spiders of Mirkwood. There many creatures found death in his webs, but among the Elves of Thranduil it is said that he always cut humans free from his webs when they wandered in, for fear of retribution from others of their race.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:47 PM   #99
Malcu Luinthol
Pile O'Bones

The Eye

Unglusch continued his approach into the camp, looking around as he stepped slowly closer. He sensed something nearby. Tarks. He shot a few arrows towards them before leaping onto Grulfang and speeding away towards the black gate. He would report the loss of the raiding party to the lieutenant of Sauron and make up a story about his escape. He would have his revenge against the tarks one day...
Old 06-06-2003, 05:37 PM   #100
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

Farien struggled wildly as the orc that was carrying her threw her to the ground. Now that they were far from the road the beasts seemed content to gloat over their recaptured prisoners. The nearest one leaned in toward her and growled, "Nothing but trouble, you human filth, all the same." Farien spat in its face, and it leaned even closer. "You know what we do to troublemakers..." he said in a low his as he dealt her a harsh blow with the back of his hand. Farien tried to hide the fact that her whole body was shaking. She kept her face as still as she could and didn't respond.

Abruptly, the orc pulled her to her feet and cut the bonds on her ankles. Eregiath, nearby, had already been hauled upright and was being marched toward the forest with the two soldiers, Pherdur and Donlamir, close behind. A whimpering sound brought Farien's attention to her daughters. Arrin and Serra were also being forced to walk across the grass. The orcs stood them all in a line.

Farien froze with horror as she saw the biggest of the orcs draw a great rusty sword. The first of the soldiers, Pherdur, drew himself up to his full height. The look on his face registered acceptance. "This is what we do to troublemakers," the orc that had been Farien's guard hissed in her ear. Farien's eyes grew wide as she realized what was coming. Wrenching free of the orc's grasp she shoved Serra and Arrin toward the woods.

"Run!" she screamed, "Run! Hide!" Arrin stood for a second, wide-eyed looking at her mother as though she'd gone mad, but six-year old Serra understood. Grabbing Arrin's hand she dragged her into the woods. Farien's orc guard shoved her roughly to the ground.

"Think they'll do better out there?" he roared at her. "They're as dead as you are." he dealt Farien a vicious kick with an iron shod foot. "Too much trouble to find the little ones." He called to his comerades who were bound for the bushes where Serra and Arrin had disappeared. "They'd barely make a snack."

Dragging Farien back upright her guard turned her to look where Pherdur and Donlamir already lay on the ground, blood forming a sticky puddle on the ground around them. Farien turned helpless eyes toward Eregiath who gave her a small tight smile. The big orc swung the rusty sword above his head. Her whole body tensed as she watched the sword hit her husband's neck, saw him cruple to the ground suddenly drenched in his own blood. She tried to scream, but all the sound she could make was a weak whimper.

"It's your turn now, Missy," her captor croaked, "And the honor's all mine." He spun a long dagger in his hands as he approached her. The shape and color of the handle told her that ironically, it was the same dagger she'd stolen from the orc Eregiath had killed in the cave. Farien's knees gave way, and the orc pulled her upright by the hair. She clamped her eyes shut as he approached, her whole body trembling. There was a sharp pain in her throat as the knife cut her, that quickly faded to a dull ache. Something warm and wet covered the front of her, and Farien knew it was her own blood, but she could neither move or speak and slowly everying faded to black before her eyes.

Serra stumbled through the woods blindly, twigs slapping her in the face as she ran. The muted sound of Arrin crying behind her was the only sound she heard, and her own tears were blurring her vision. But it didn't matter. All that mattered was doing what Mommy said, get away from the orcs.

When Arrin and Serra thought they could run no farther the sound of voices stopped them. Serra froze, placing one hand over Arrin's mouth. The voices grew closer, and Serra no longer had to strain her ears to hear them over her pounding heart.

Arrin mumbled beside her. "Shush!" Serra said sharply, clamping her hand even harder over her sister's mouth. Soon, however, the hand was quickly withdrawn with a small whimper as Serra felt Arrin's tiny sharp teeth sink into it. "Why did you do that!" she hissed, wiping her palm on her filthy dress.

"Serra, it's Emilia!" Arrin said. Taking a few more cautious steps through the trees, the two girls could clearly see Georelelia's blond daughter with a cluster of children around her. Unable to suppress their relief, they staggered down the hillside toward the familiar faces.

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
Old 06-06-2003, 06:59 PM   #101
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Lara saw the Orcs come towards them with a sickening sense of doom. It seemed that she would be going to meet Ered soon enough. With a sigh she turned to Georelelia.
"We have to get the children out. There may be no other way than to stall the monsters by fighting them"
Georelelia nodded slowly.
"I think you're right" she finally replied softly. Lara thought she could see tears glimmering in her eyes as they were in her own.
"I think Emilia could take care of them" Georelelia said in a wobbly voice, then went to organise the children.

Lara turned to the other women.
"It seems like the end for us" she said carefully, trying to avoid her voice breaking. "but we can keep our children safe if we try. There are plenty of rocks around here. If we hurry we will be ready for them by the time they climb the hill."
Resignation appeared on most faces as Lara gazed at them. She felt the lump in her throat grow.

"We need to say goodbye quickly" she whispered, kissing Laila's head. The baby gurgled happily and tangled a finger in Lara's hair.
"I love you" she whispered into her scalp. "I love you and your father loved you. Everything is for you. Have a long, happy life and one day I will see you again."
She hadn't noticed that she was crying but now the tears splashed onto her cheeks. All around she could see mothers saying goodbye, hugging toddlers, explaining to tearful older children. She didn't want to break the scene up but knew it was necessary.

With the sensation of tearing out her own heart she walked over to Georelelia and her children. Slowly she put Laila into Emilia's arms.
"Take care of my baby" she whispered, then turned away. She determined not to look back, and instead glanced at Georelelia. The woman nodded with tearstained cheeks.

"It is time. The children must leave. We must be ready if there is to be any hope."
the Forbidden Link
Old 06-07-2003, 07:37 AM   #102
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Georeliela looked at her daughter, leading all the children. They ran down a hill with their small feet hitting the ground. Georeliela wanted to run after her daughter but she knew she could not.

Lara’s face went pale as she saw the orcs run up the hill. Some on horses and some ran on their bare foul feet. They each held weapons.. long treacherous weapons. They stabbed a few people and tormented another few. Lara and Georeliela ran crying. One orc grabbed Georeliela and stabbed her with a sword.

Georeliela fell to the ground and put her hands to her stomach. Her hands were covered in blood. She lay on the ground and herd Lara scream “no”. Georeliela knew this was the end and she lay their breathing deeply remembering her daughters face. She felt her eyes shutting and her body going numb. The noise of dying people was faint. Her eyes shut and she lay there dead, never to speak or hear again.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:05 PM   #103
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Lara heard the footsteps of the children grow quieter as the drumming of the Orc's feet came closer and closer. She cast around for rocks, half blind with tears. She couldn't check that the other women were preparing themselves, she just had to trust them.

As the first monster came within range she cast down a rock at his head with all her strength. It stumbled, then got up. She had slowed it down, but it suddenly hit her with unescapable clarity that none of the women were going to get out.
All we can do is keep them here until the children have got far enough away, and hope they have not the wit to seperate and send half after the children.

With a gulp she picked up another rock and threw it at an approaching Orc. This one stayed down for a longer time, but they had reached the women now. Lara wiped away her tears with the back of her hand and deliberately straightened her back. I will make Ered and Laila proud, she thought grimly. She heard the sound of footsteps behind her and span, bringing yet another rock down firmly on an Orc's forehead. This time he didn't get up.

Turning again, Lara spotted a figure lying crumpled on the floor. It was Georelelia.
"No!" Lara wished she could see if her friend lived or not, but it was impossible.
'The best I can do for you is try to make sure that your daughter, and mine, will have a chance' she whispered to herself, once again scooping up stones and rocks.

She never saw the sword that killed her. There was a sudden sharp pain in her side, and then Lara fell to the floor. Darkness quickly claimed her, but somehow Lara thought that there was also an image of Ered, smiling.
Eru watch over my daughter, she thought vaguely as life, and pain, and grief all ebbed away with her blood.
the Forbidden Link
Old 06-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #104
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Herlion woke from his long slumber still in a muddy rut beside one of the main roads, covered in dirt and leaves. He felt a bit better than he had earlier, good enough now to crawl a bit. When he tried to stand, though, he still hurt all over and was full of pins and needles and certainly very dirty, but much fresher than when he had gotten away… when he had gotten away… He sat back down and put his head in his hands. What was I doing when I ran away?, he wondered. He had left behind his wife and children, not even tried to alert Iavas. His dark hair fell into his eyes, but he didn’t care, didn’t brush it away. He needed to get further away from the road… Herlion picked himself up a bit with a half smothered groan, and rolled down a bit on his side, falling into the woods. His sides ached now from the dirt getting into cuts, wounds, and welts, but he crawled on, further out. To him it seemed as though he had been crawling for hours, though in reality it was perhaps twenty minutes.

Finally he reached a tree the roots of which seemed to provide substantial height, which could hide himself behind on all but one side, and he settled down, trying not to cry out every time a branch brushed him as he lowered himself into the crack in the roots. When he was down, he tried to decide what to do now, where to go next. But his frenzied mind, sick with worry, would not let him stop thinking about his family. He was torn between two thoughts. He had to run away, for if he stayed here or went back, the orcs would catch him, and there would be no end to his misery but death. Even if he did manage to get back in without getting caught, he would be a slave till his death... but the other side of his mind screamed back at him: you would still be with Iavas! and that argument was probably more convincing to him than almost any other could be. And if he did get away from the orcs, What would he do? Where would he go? He had nobody in the world. All of his friends and his family were- had been- living in the village with him, were all now in the caves. His parents had died ten years 12 years previously. Did he know anybody in the world? Anybody at all? There was, of course, his brother, but he did not know where he was now, having not seen him for years, and whether he was even alive at all...

He shook the thoughts off. It would not do him any good to sit there, feeling guilty about his family. All that would happen would be that some roving orcs would find him and take him back to the caves, or more likely kill him on the spot... and, suddenly, sitting up with a jolt that made him grit his teeth at his reopening wounds, he realized that he may be not have been far at all from the truth when he thought that, for he heard harsh orc voices very close by, obvious among the soft noises of the forest. He shuddered involuntarily, his insides screaming at one another, as he pushed himself back into the crack, praying that only his messy dark mop of hair was at all visible above the ground. He could just barely see above the roots, narrowing. He suddenly understood what the expression ‘cold sweat’ meant as the orcs drew closer, now almost visible among the trees. A moment later, when the line of orcs came into sight, he was nearly drenched and shuddering. He fought a quick battle with himself and his more courageous and inquistive side won over, making him raise his face just a bit to be able to see the orcs. There seemed to be a rare one among them who was not bloody and slumped, and their speech sounded disgruntled in expression, though Herlion could not guess what they were talking about, knowing few tongues but his own. They seemed to be disagreeing about something, or perhaps that was their usual tone of voice. The train of orcs was not too long, and they all slouched, but the three at the back seemed to be sagging lower than most of the others.

Herlion waited as they came closer, then passed him, and went on. He breathed a quiet sigh of relief, but when it was barely out of his mouth he sucked it back in with one of pity. Now that the orcs backs were to him, he could see why the three at the end of the line slouched. They carried three human prisoners. He winced. His own pain was still quite acute, and he could imagine what that of these men would be when they woke... then he stopped for a moment. Men? Two of them wore Gondorian uniforms, and were, but the other was a woman, and he again remembered Iavas. Moving slowly further down the path, the orcs swore and spoke as the ropes holding the three prisoners grew tighter and slackened, letting them hit the ground every other step... Thud... thud... thud...

Then, as he let his body fall back completely, no longer tense, he heard something ahead. There seemed to be some sort of commotion between the orcs, and he could hear swords. He strained his neck again, trying to see what was going on without falling out onto the path, and thought he could distinguish the voices of humans, though he could barely be sure of it, and then it seemed to him that he saw a shadow, human as well, it seemed, rush into the trees on the other side of the path... he was relieved that somebody had escaped, as he felt sorry for any that fell into the filthy hands of the orcs, but then he heard more voices, orcish ones, and the swishes of swords, and the sickening thuds of falling bodies, dying groans, and rushing blood... he turned around and was sick, feeling terrible.

By the time Herlion felt alright enough to walk, it was utterly dark. He stood, shakily, and walked across the path, going into the trees on the other side. His legs were weak and he was utterly exhausted. He walked, though he knew not where he was going, then crawled, then walked again. He knew he would not bear it for long, but he thought that he had seen the man or woman running away go in this direction, and he had nowhere to go anyhow. He had thought of going back to the orcs, but he remembered the sounds of the dying humans and was near to retching again. He could not bear the thought of his Iavas and his children being treated like that, but he could not go back... he barely remembered what direction he was headed in any more... he stumbled on, walking for as long as he could, then dropping onto all fours, pulling himself up, walking again.

Suddenly, he heard human voices. His ebbing strength returned, for a moment, because he thought that one of them sounded strangely familiar... and all of them were, unmistakably, human. He stepped onto the clearing straight ahead of him, and saw a group of men, in the uniform of Gondorian soldiers, sitting near some tents and looking very tired. Somewhere on the side lay a woman, seemingly asleep, and a child, his face tinted slightly greenish. But then he did not see anything but the face of one man... and, though many years had passed, and the face of his brother showed the strain of it, he was as easy to recognize as he had been years before. The other men jumped up with their weapons, but the two still stared at each other with expressions of strange recognition. Finally, Herlion spoke. "Fededhor...?"

He took a step forward, but then a few things happened. The child stirred, moaning, and most of the men turned their faces towards him. The woman sat up, rubbing her eyes, dried blood on her clothes and face. But, more importantly, there was a sound of tramping very near by, and it was too late to run… Herlion froze. Everybody was holding up their weapons. The woman grabbed the child, ran into the woods. Somebody seemed to remember Herlion, and, a moment later, a long knife was in his hand, for all of the swords were taken. He looked at it for a moment in disbelief, for he had not even touched anything remotely resembling a weapon in such a long time... he barely remembered how to use one.

Just before the orcs barged into the clearing, the woman ran back in, breathless, minus the child, but with a sword. Herlion went to stand beside Fededhor, for he was sure that they did not stand a chance against the orcs, and wanted to be by his brother in his last moments. Then in came the orcs... he saw Fededhor’s sword swing at one, and ducked, the weapon going right over his head, cleaving the neck of an orc. He thrust out his knife as an orc face leered at him, cutting the grinning mouth, causing it to roar with pain and annoyance. He tried to hew it down, but his long-knife was not the right weapon for such a case... but suddenly somebody’s sword cut into it from the back, and it fell, with a shriek of terrifying pain which reminded Herlion, unnacountably, of the sounds of the dying people he had heard on the path... he looked up at his brother and saw the pile of orcs around him already, all dead or dying, and smiled at him with a sense of pride. Suddenly, an orc-arrow hit him in the throat. He choked and coughed blood, but still the uncanny smile did not disappear. He died with a joyful smile playing on his lips, dropping to the ground, soon cold. But even in death, his lips curved upward still, for the happy memory of his life before.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #105
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Evren slept still, exhausted through and through. She did not feel the child stirring at her side, nor hear the voices of the men around her. She knew, vaguely, that when she woke she would need to tell them where Donlamir and Pherdur were, why the child was with her, that they needed to rescue the villagers... but for now she would not, could not. Then her sleep deepened still more, not letting her think at all. Dreamless sleep of exhaustion. And then, perhaps a few hours later, she woke, hearing something...

She took in the scene around her with some surprise. She was lying on the ground still, and still drowsy, but everything around her had changed. It was night-time already, and the men all stood alert, except for Fededhor, looking at another man standing at the edge of the clearing. He was not one of them... but he and Fededhor were staring at each other with an expression that she could not place. And then it was too late to think about anything more, for she heard the unmistakable sound of orcs coming their way... everybody grabbed their swords. Evren was about to take up her own when she realized, suddenly, that the boy was still with her. She picked him up and ran swiftly into the woods. He would be safer there... a sick child had no chance between fighting orcs and men. She took him out a bit, and put him down on the ground, grunting slightly with the effort of having carried him this far. He moved a bit, and she noticed only then that his eyes were open. She smiled at him distractedly and told him, with no time for explainantions, to stay there until she returned. But as she ran back to the clearing, she glanced back, and saw him rushing into the trees... and there seemed to be a group of children waiting for him there. Evren rubbed her eyes but had no time to go back, as she knew that the orcs were coming. Her breath came in ragged pants as she picked up her sword and stood next to the other men, waiting for the fight. The new man was standing next to Fededhor, she noted...

Then the orcs burst out of the trees and were upon them. Her fighting discipline was gone, everything she had been taught... she merely swung her sword at the orcs, cleaving heads, receiving cuts herself, ignoring it all... it seemed to her that the tide of the battle was in their favor, for the amount of orcish bodies around her and the others, as well as the red shade of the grass, grew and grew, but then it turned again... she saw a man fall with a groan, then another. Then the new man, fighting next to Fededhor, dropped with an arrow in his throat. Fededhor looked agonized... She tried to go on ignoring things, but couldn’t, for seeing orcs die was one thing... seeing the same happen to men was another matter.

Then her eyes fell, for suddenly there were many orcs around her, hewing with their axes. She almost dropped her sword as her hand was cut, blood spewing. She tried to switch to her other hand, but then she faltered, for one of the dead mens’ eyes were turned to her, and they held a terrified expression which she echoed instantly in a scream of despair, as she saw more men falling, falling... she picked up speed again a moment later, but it was too late. The axes moved too fast. It was only by a bit, but it was enough... each inch she stepped back, every dodge she didn’t-quite-accomplish, every neck she didn’t-quite-hew- they were losses, and they showed. So when the last axe caught her in the arm, making her fall, she would have been almost relieved had it not been for the terrible pain of her leaving strength, and the terrible need to retch at seeing a part of her body separate from the rest... she could not breathe next, for a stone was thrown down at her stomache, knocking the wind out of her. She lay in a puddle of rusty red, gritting her teeth, trying not to yell or be sick, but could not help herself. Her dying scream echoed through the clearing, achingly pained expression showing through in the sound. But she was forgotten, and she watched in agony as the others writhed, but were given quick deaths... and as she died, her last thought was about the unacomplished dream of reclaiming the city.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:55 PM   #106
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

Telmir looked up at Evren's face as she set him gently on the ground in the trees. "Stay here." she told him in a hushed voice, but Telmir didn't obey. He'd heard something, a sound in the woods, a voice he recognized. As Evren staggered back into the battle, Telmir wearily dragged himself to his feet.

"Emilia!" he called into the forest, his eyes peering through the dense undergrowth as he staggered in the direction of the sound. "Serra! Arrin!" It was Emilia's voice Telmir had heard, but where Georelelia's daughter was, his sisters would be also. Telmir was certain of it. He wasn't entirely sure where he was, or how he'd been separated from the rest of the group. But it didn't matter, he'd found them again.

Pushing a branch aside Telmir caught sight of a tiny golden head in the distance. "Arrin..." he said hoarsely, breaking into a run and stumbling toward the small group of children. Emilia's face broke into a wide smile when she saw him. Telmir stopped short, stunned, looking at the group.

"Where are my parents?" he asked in a soft voice. "Where are your parents, Emilia?" The girl clutched the baby she was holding tighter and shrugged her shoulders, choking back tears.

"Dead."

Telmir's eyes filled with tears, but he dashed them away quickly. He couldn't cry like that in front of girls. "Well." he said in a strangled voice, "We'll have to find our own way back then." Serra passed him the young child she held in her arms, and Arrin took his other hand. "I think there's a village this way," he gestured with his chin. "We'd better get going."

Emilia smiled and nodded, and the small group of children filed off silently in the direction Telmir had suggsted. A group of tiny survivors leaving in search of safety.