The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2002, 11:08 PM   #41
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Another great thing about the Extended Edition is that the first glimpse we get of Sam is of him in his garden, looking lovingly at some flowers he's working on. In the reg. ed. the first time we saw him he was drinking ale at the b-day party, and fearful of dancing with Rose.<P>So in this edition his "introduction" is as "Sam the Gardener" instead of "Sam the Girl-Shy Ale-Swigger."<P>I mean, I liked that scene from the b-day party...it was very cute...but this is just another example of how the Extended Edition makes a good movie better.<P>I also liked the scene in the Green Dragon where she smiles at him...and afterwards when he mutters something about one of the other hobbits sweet talking her, and Frodo replies with, "Don't worry Sam, Rosie knows and idiot when she sees one." ... "She does?"<P>I just like Sam and Rosie's relationship, it's so sweet, and it's nice to see more of it in the Extended Edition. Bliss... What would really make me fall over would be to hear the name "Diamond" mentioned offhand or something. And give me the moon while you're at it. <P>So far I've only watched the Tolkien biography on the "Appendices" (great idea for what to call the special features!)
Old 11-14-2002, 01:16 AM   #42
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It would still terrify my sisters. (The first time I saw Bambi, the fire scene scared me! I was 6.) And the dinky little cartoon version of the hobbit scared the absolute heck out of me! The goblins (orcs.) are still in my nightmares! (Ya gotta admit, they were uuuuugly!)<P>Sam the girl-shy ale-swigger? I love it!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:21 AM   #43
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Oh, and the FotR scared ME! (And I are old.) Heh heh. But I scare easy. (Obviously. See previous thread.) For almost the entire movie I kept grabbing my friends hand and hiding my face in her shoulder. The first time I saw the WHOLE thing without closeing my eyes was the 4th time. We don't see many scary movies at my house. Or scary cartoons. We arent' very immune to it. Okay, I'M not very immune! But my poor baby sisters would be terrified. We didn't even let them see all of Star Wars. Heh heh. We kept yelling at them to "Quick! Go in the kithcen! It's a scary part!"

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Old 11-14-2002, 02:23 AM   #44
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Just got finished watching it.<BR>It was like a whole new movie. The whole feeling of it changed, even with the older scenes.<BR>Did anyone else noticed that the sound was better? I could hear the lines better in this version. For some reason I saw a lot more, even with the older scenes.<BR>Another thing I like is that they used different takes of some of the already existing scenes (I definitely noticed some slightly different line deliverance in places).<P>How cute is Sam in this? His character was fleshed out so much by just a few scenes. The part with Rosie in the tavern & afterwards..."Don't worry Sam... Rosie can recognize an idiot" "Really?" (or something along those lines). The poem in Lothlorien gives me hope that the Oliphaunt poem may be in TTT (cross your fingers!). So great!<P>Another great part was in the Green Dragon. I also enjoy the lembas bit... "One bite can fill a grown man's stomach"... "How many did you eat Pippin"..."Four".<P>Do ya'll know about the Easter Eggs? Go to "Scene Selections", go over to the side with the numbers... highlight the last available scene & then press down once more (you will either see a ring or Orthanc - depending on whether you are on disc 1 or disc 2). Check them out!<P>I also started listening to the audio commentary. I was unaware of the fact that old Bilbo resembles Judy Dench's mother!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:27 AM   #45
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Um . . . define "whole different feel". More hopeless? Less hopless? More like the books? Less like the books? (MORE like the books, I hope! ) 'Twould be greatly appreciated, Tigerlily!

Old 11-14-2002, 06:48 AM   #46
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

And it showed Merry getting his Elvish blade, which will obviously be very important later.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:06 PM   #47
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Thumbs up

Mintyztwin, it's definitely more like the books. There's all the little details that were cut out, like Gandalf explaining that the wealth of Moria was Mithril, not gold or jewels, and of course all of Lothlorien, with the gifts and the lembas, and Gimli/Galadriel. And on Caradhras with Boromir saying "We must turn back! This will be the death of the Hobbits!" with his arms around Merry and Pippin, who are turning blue. Another way to show that Boromir is not an inherent bad guy!<P>All the characters benefit from the added scenes...most notably Celeborn and Galadriel. Second would be Gimli and Legolas.<P>I know that Legolas didn't have a shortage of fans from the theatrical cut, but I think he definitely benefits from the added scenes. Most notable for me is the lembas scene with Merry and Pippin and then in the boat with Gimli. He smiles and makes "small talk" with other members of the Fellowship! Without those two scenes, all he does is look alert, grave, and anxious. Well, he kills lots of Orcs, but I remember thinking "Does the guy ever smile?"<P>It's kind of like with Galadriel. Both of them are shown "lightening up" so that they seem more REAL in this version. Gimil too. He is now the sweetest Dwarf you will ever come across! With all the restored details everything's a little deeper, more thought out...and like someone else said, the scenes that weren't cut out also benefit.<P>I think it's a much more "hopeful" seeming film. When you watch the gift giving you'll know what we mean. All the members look happy and refreshed as they leave; Lothlorien has been a good experience! Well, for all but Frodo and Boromir, that is. I noticed that Boromir was given no gift.<P>BTW, can anyone tell me what Sam says when Galadriel gives him the rope? I just can't make it out. Something about "nice shiny daggers" but that's all!
Old 11-14-2002, 12:25 PM   #48
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam says "did you run out of those _____ daggers." I can't spell it right now so I wont even try and I don't really have the time to look it up so a littel help anyeone?

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:37 PM   #49
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Isn't it "nice, shiny daggers"?
Old 11-14-2002, 12:45 PM   #50
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Okay, so it wasn't my imagination or bad memory. I didn't have time to check again but I think that was kinda crappy that Boromir wasn't given a gift. At least with Aragorn there was a nice explanation. <BR>Other than that complaint, I love the extra scenes. I like the new scenes at the gate of Moria. Poor Pippin. He can't seem to say or do anything right. <BR>Oh what a difference 30 minutes makes.<BR>But poor me no DVD player.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:44 PM   #51
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I totally forgot about that! Why wasn't Boromir given his belt? It's not like he isn't important or anything. Of course he is! They could have put an extra minute in there for poor Boromir...
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:42 PM   #52
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

By, "whole different feel", I don't exactly know what I meant. It just seemed very different to me.<BR>I think the main thing is that I always said over and over the the theatrical version is much more dark than the first book, but now this version brings more of that lightness to the film.<BR>I think it also has to do with the fact that the characters are more well-rounded and that the sound quality is so much clearer. It seems a little more personal than the original version.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:26 PM   #53
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Thanks so much guys! This really helps out! I have a definate feeling I will be able to talk my mom into letting me get this! She was mostly worried about how everyone was evil, and hopeless, and there was not "light" (I mean, Elrond and Galadriel were pretty freaky. ) I really appreciate the explanation! "Things are looking up!" <P>I'll let you know when I get it!

Old 11-14-2002, 09:58 PM   #54
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Does Gildor appear in the Shire?
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:25 AM   #55
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Alas, no Gildor. Was sort of hoping for that, but I knew it was kind of pushing it. I got the big gift set myself, got the Argonath and my trading cards. Didn't get no TTT ticket though!!! But maybe I missed it. <P>You've all mentioned my favourite new parts, but I also liked when they just outside of Moria, and Gimli's talking. "Dwarf doors are invisible...etc etc." Can't remember the rest, but then you hear Legolas "Why doesn't THAT surprise me?" I fell over laughing, cuz it shows that bickering between them that I love. <P>Celeborn, ALL his parts just made me love the guy even more. I remember standing up with a "THANK YOU PJ!" when he started talking even more. Haldir's parts, I liked. *nod nod* And to hear Legolas talk some Elvish was...admittedly I laughed out loud cuz I'm just not used to it. But after watching it again, I think it suits him.<P>And whoever mentioned the music in The Passing of the Elves scene. I completely agree with you. That song...is utterly amazing. I love it.
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 06:25 AM   #56
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I didn't get a ticket either. Oh well. I was planning on buying tickets anyway and wasn't really expecting a ticket to TTT in the collector's edition so it's not a big deal.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:35 PM   #57
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I plan on buying the collector's edition today. I know it's a lot more expensive, so I was wondering if everyone who bought it thought it was worth the extra cost? Also, I understand there are four disks. Is the movie itself divided between disks? I hope it isn't.<P>Whew! *wipes brow* It was hard to skim through all of this thread to see if anyone had answered this question without reading what the new material was. An exercise in self-discipline. I didn't want to spoil anything for myself. I got the impression that everyone really likes the extended version though <p>[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Keneldil the Polka-dot ]
Old 11-15-2002, 02:50 PM   #58
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The extended edition contains 2 DVDs that are the movie, 2 DVDs that are Appendicies, and 1 DVD that contains 2 National Geographic shows on LOTR. It also comes with 3 cool trading cards and a set of bookends that are the Argonath.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:58 PM   #59
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you TolkienGurl. But did you think the gift set was worth the extra cost?
Old 11-15-2002, 10:21 PM   #60
Nerdanel
Pile O'Bones

Nerdanel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too loved the SE DVD release! I liked how Aragorn's character was developed and we got to see more of Viggo's great depth of acting--he portrays so much with his facial expressions! And I loved that scene when Legolas and Gimli are in the boat leaving Lorien and Legolas asks Gimli what Galadriel gave to him! *sniff* very sweet.<P>Are there any more easter eggs besides the MTV blasphemy of the council of Elrond and TTT preview? Just wondering.
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:39 PM   #61
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

hee hee... Well, because my boyfriend and I were so desperate to own LOTR, I had him go and buy the first DVD *whip cracks*. Along with it came a $5 mail in rebate for the ex. ed. VHS, and $10 mail in rebate for the ex. ed. DVD. So it's not exactly fair if I say whether or not It was worth the extra cost because it was $10 cheaper for us! (My boyfriend also mostly paid for that one - on his own accord!) *whip cracks again*. <P>YES it is worth the extra cost, even if I would have had to pay the whole $70. It's all about the bookends! They're awesome!
Old 11-15-2002, 11:42 PM   #62
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Did anyone notice Peter Jackson in the movie? He has a cameo AFTER the hobbits go through the gates of Bree and BEFORE they enter the Prancing Pony. He is sorta staggering by like a drunk with a stick in his hand.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:24 AM   #63
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Yes, but that was in the Theatrical Cut as well. Ah, a cameo in the true Hitchcockian tradition....<P>TolkienGurl, you are evil! We should start calling you the Balrog—what with you and your whip!
Old 11-18-2002, 11:08 AM   #64
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A couple of MONTHS!!!Thats when the guy at the shop said it would be released!!!can you believe it!But hopefully i can beg my mom to buy it on Amazon......LePetiteChoux They said on Amazon that they would give the National Geo DVD and the Cards didn't you get them??
Old 11-18-2002, 06:26 PM   #65
Thomas Baggins

Thumbs up

I love it I love it I love it! When I went in to get mine it was wicked expensive I couldn't believe it and then I got home and found all the extra stuff in it an almost fainted well needless to say I was very impressed by everything, especially the new scenes. <BR>Aravorn