The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2002, 08:19 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Of Hobbits

Ok. I have been at the downs for a while now. And I have leanred alot of things about ME. {Which I am very grateful for by the way.}

But anyway, one thing has never come up until now. Or, at least, I've never seen it mentioned. I just read a topic on which type of Hobbit Frodo was, and I didn't even know there were different types!!!

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Stoor, Fallohide, and a Harfoot Hobbit? And are there any others I don't know about yet? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
Orome
Wight

Orome has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orome
Sting

those were the only three type, and there is info on the types in the prolouge to the Fellowship of the ring i think
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:31 PM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

The Fallohides were the least numerous of the Hobbit strains. In TA 1150 they left the Anduin and entered Eriador, mingling with the other Hobbits. They were adventerous folk and often rose to positions of leadership among the Hobbits. Marcho and Blanco, the founders of the Shire were Fallohides. The Tooks, Brandybucks, and Bolgers were Fallohides. Bilbo and Frodo had Fallohide blood. They tended to be tall for Hobbits. They were friendly with Elves.

The Harfoots were the most numerous of the Hobbits. They entered Eriador in 1050 TA. They were typical in most every way. They were friendly with Dwarves. They also preferred to live underground for a long time.

The Stoors only crossed into Eriador in 1300 TA. They were common in the Marish and Buckland. They were thicker and heavier than most Hobbits, and they would wear boots in rainy weather. They were friendly with Men. Some grew beards. They also liked rivers and boating and swimming.

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 08-21-2002, 08:39 PM   #4
Eruwen

Tolkien

Oh wow. I didn't know there was that much behind it. Oh, and Orome, I actually didn't read the prelude. I guess that is why I don't know about it. {I knew there was something about that "Concerning Hobbits" part.} I think I'm gonna go read it right now.

Thanx for your help, Kuruharan!! That explains alot. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 08:47 PM   #5
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Sting

Kuruharan's got it right.

all of that is found in the prologue at the beginning of the fellowship of the ring. it's actually in the section entitled "concerning hobbits" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:32 AM   #6
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well leseee...

I get harfoot from the Baggins in me, Took is an old fallohide family and I am a bit tookish so that's where I get my fallohide. Fallohides are more fair of skin and that's why Gandalf described me as "fairer than most" and the Brandybucks are a mix of stoor and a bit of fallohide. So I am all three.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:54 PM   #7
Eruwen

Tolkien

Lol, Frodo. Thanx for clearing that part up. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]