The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2001, 01:19 AM   #1
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting Maiar

Could a Maia change its physical form as often as wanted, a few times everyone once and a while, or only once and a great while, or not at all? Does it vary from Maia to Maia according to its power? Because they were not (seemingly) bound to the same physical constraints of Elves and other such people, could they fly or maybe levitate a little? Or do they just have super-physical abilities and strength so they could do incredible things like scale a mountain?

Just a few questions I hope can be answered. I realize that this information can probably only be gotten by speculating different events in the books, but everything helps. It is just confusing not knowing the true abilitys of things like Maiar because it leads to discussions like the Balrog Wings or no Wings thing.
Old 12-25-2001, 02:30 AM   #2
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Quote:
Only the Valar and Maiar are intelligences that can assume forms of Arda at will.
That's from HoMe X: Morgoth's Ring - Myths Transformed. The key point is "at will."

However, the more a "clothed" Maia spirit did that was a privilege of the incarnate (i.e. eating, and especially reproducing, etc.), the more they would become bound to their physical form. It seems there were certain other circumstances that revoked this ability as well, such as the evil or good of the spirit. This is from the Silmarillion:
Quote:
...[Sauron] became the greatest and most trusted of the servants of the Enemy, and the most perilous, for he could assume many forms, and for long if he willed he could still appear noble and beautiful, so as to deceive all but the most wary.
and this
Quote:
There now he [Sauron] brooded in the dark, until he had wrought for himself a new shape; and it was terrible, for his fair semblance had departed for ever when he was cast into the abyss at the drowning of Númenor.
Morgoth also lost his ability to change his appearance, although I can't remember why it happened. Can anyone else find it?

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: obloquy ]
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 01:31 AM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That was a very interesting question. I remember reading about Sauron's form and of Melain shedding hers then returning into the west to the gardens of Lorien. I have often wondered if there she resumed form or if she remained in spirit form.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 06:30 AM   #4
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

The main purpose of this thread was to kindof sort things out for myself. I would think that Balrogs were able to fly. It just makes more sense to me that Balrogs had Wings.. be they made of shadow and fire or part of the physical shape the Maia decided to choose.. they could fly either way. If the wings helped them - thats great. If they could just naturally fly themselves - good for them. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It doesnt really matter in any case.

For them to do things like scale the mountains around Gondolin with dragons, they had to be able to fly. Even if they were really good climbers it is still hard to beleive.

Now that I think about it though, if a Balrog didn't have wings I dont think it could naturally fly on its own. Even Melkor couldn't - he had to get help from Ungoliant to scale the mountains around Aman. Even though they were alot taller, its the same thing kindof.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It doesnt really matter though. Thanks for reading my thoughts... even if you are sick of this type of thread.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:54 AM   #5
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

I believe Morgoth lost his ring in his little fight with Ungoliant.

"little"? Hmm, maybe not a little fight after all.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote