The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The End of the Silmarilion(Spoilers) Morgoth's End

Quote:
Then he was bound with the chain Angainor which he had worn aforetime, and his iron crown they beat into a collar for his neck, and his head was bowed upon his knees. And the two Silmarils which remainedd to Morgoth were taken from his crown, and they shone unsullied beneath the sky; and Eonwe took them, and guarded them.
Thus an end was made of the power of Angband in the North, and the evil realm was brought to naught
Was anyone else wholly disappointed at this end...it seemed to unravel so quickly (especially if you compare it to the Lord of the Rings, but for now, I am not)
But for some reason it reminded me of when I was still in school and writing a story for English. I would go to so much effort and spend so much time working up to the main battle, or to whatever it is that needs to be accomplished...and then look at the clock and realize that I have no time for a proper ending...and just rush it all off "And then they arrived at whereever it was they were trying to get to...and they destroyed the bad guy, and every one lived happily ever after, the end" after pages and pages of building up to that...

Anyways, I was just wondering, can someone make it more interesting for me? lol. I don't know why that line was such a downer for me, but can someone who like the line try to explain it in different terms so I can see what a good ending it really is lol?
(I know, an odd request, but I've read it a few times, and think I need to hear this from someone else's POV)
Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't find it disappointing at all. What about it is disappointing? They had fought for years and years; the final battle of the First Age, the War of Wrath, was quite a climax.

Perhaps if you find this "end" disappointing, it will help to know that at the end of the world Morgoth will return to take part in a final battle and suffer ultimate defeat.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

^no I know about the final end, and I know about how they fought for years and years..it's just the wording of it at that one spot seems too sudden for me..like it needs more detail or something...everything else is great.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

I suppose I'm slightly dissapointed by this, but not much. Though a mega-epic battle would've been better than the chaining bit, Morgoth did enough damage and it had to end. His campaign killed many more great heroes than that of Sauron (Turin technically, Fingolfin, Ecthelion, etc). He had an epic battle with Fingolfin, who he killed eventually, and his various servants caused incredible damage. It had to end somewhere, and it did. Plus, he's gonna come back eventually.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

^thanks, yeh that makes sense...and yeh, it did have to come to an end somewhere...(unfortunetly) it's mostly the phrase that they "took the" last to silmarils that bothers me I think...like maybe if it said something about "Morgoth tried to stop them but didn't succeed" in there (in different wording of course, more detail on HOW he tries to stop them, but how he can't because of the chains...I dunno lol or else somehow that he has "admitted defeat" or something may tie in better with his head being bowed to his knees...but some sort of explanation why he doesn't do anything...or at least SAY anything...I dunno lol
Old 02-04-2004, 04:43 AM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The End of the Silmarillion (from the words of Eärendil to Manwë till the actual End) is indeed very short, but I think Tolkien did this to show the power of the Ainur, which came to M-e's help.
The Noldor fought many fights against Morgoth, but he grew greater all along, yet the Elves were the most powerful beings in M-e at that point.
The point Tolkien tries to make is, I believe, that nothing in Arda is more powerful than the Ainur. And he underlines this with the swift ending of the book when the Ainur get involved.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That, and all of the big amazing things that happen in big amazing times don't seem so big or amazing when you know all of the little things about them.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
camomile
Pile O'Bones

camomile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to camomile
Sting

one thing you also have to bear in mind wile you are reading the silmerilion is that is not a storie like LOTR, but a history of middle earth. it is phasanating to learn about all te events leading up to the war of the ring and the third age of MI, but that is realy the climactic point in Tolkiens writing. when you view it in that light the ending seames more like a begenning and less like an ebrupt ending.
(just my take on it)
Old 02-04-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

>:/

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:04 PM February 04, 2004: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]
Old 02-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #10
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

In time, Tolkein might've expanded on that to a point.

Since LotR was so successful in general story form, some other histories might've been adopted. They would be written individually, rather than as a history book. That way the story of Glaurung abd Turin, Morgoth's fight with Fingolfin, The Seige of Gondolin and Nargothrond, and the chaining of Melkor could be expanded upon to make more full length. Also, more detail on the Last Alliance and othe historic events.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If it's the history book quality to the statement you don't like, there's really nothing one can say to help - the book is a history book. You might note that the entire book is written in the same manner. It's a novel, but presented as a historical account by book keepers as opposed to the journal-type personal account of Frodo and Bilbo.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:29 AM   #12
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

^no no, if you read, I love the rest of the book, i have no problem with the history-like writing. (Actually, I love it...I'm trying to major in history lol)

but what you guys are saying does make sense, I just wished he had lived to expand on to that part, (not saying he would have, I just would have liked a more detailed expansion onto that )

Thanks all
Old 02-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #13
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That has always been a knock on JRRT - even for LOTR: 50 pages of dialog and 1 paragraph of action [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] but in terms of an historical tome I think it fits. I think of it this way: That one ending probably had a thousand stories and legends, which were inevitably and entirely lost over the ages. We are lucky there was someone (JRRT) who had the "vision" to be able to see the history and was able to translate it into one entire story. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote