The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #41
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Based on the limited information supplied (basically from Gandalf), it was Saruman. Everything else is conjecture, which is fine I suppose; but looking at the evidence, nothing else makes sense. It was not a 'shadow' of Saruman, but his actual physical manifestation, because the horses were driven off. Unless, of course, the horses were 'spooked' by a spook.

Please, resume your arguments.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #42
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Based on the limited information supplied (basically from Gandalf), it was Saruman. Everything else is conjecture, which is fine I suppose; but looking at the evidence, nothing else makes sense. It was not a 'shadow' of Saruman, but his actual physical manifestation, because the horses were driven off. Unless, of course, the horses were 'spooked' by a spook.

Please, resume your arguments.
Perhaps it was the spirit of Saruman, the very one that had bewitched Theoden, and on the way back to Isengard having achieved what evil it required. Though this theory reminds me very much of the film more than anything.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #43
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun View Post
Though this theory reminds me very much of the film more than anything.
And we know how closely that fit Tolkien's works...
Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #44
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
And we know how closely that fit Tolkien's works...
One cannot rule out that Saruman could spirit walk. What else was it that the Men of Rohan thought they saw of Saruman wondering their country, but never getting a sniff of him truly? For Saruman to physically walk the lands of Rohan alone would bear the risk of him being captured or killed, and I wager that Aragorn would have caught him in the dark, be it in a wood or not.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #45
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
One cannot rule out that Saruman could spirit walk.
Why not? How would you back up such a claim when some nitpicking cynical skeptic..for instance, someone like me ...asked how you arrived at such a declaration?

Quote:
What else was it that the Men of Rohan thought they saw of Saruman wondering their country, but never getting a sniff of him truly? For Saruman to physically walk the lands of Rohan alone would bear the risk of him being captured or killed, and I wager that Aragorn would have caught him in the dark, be it in a wood or not.
I completely disagree. It wasn't until a few months or days before these days that Theoden would have taken action or permitted any action against Saruman - if he ever would, especially when he was still a thrall of Wormtongue. And what evidence do we have that Saruman non-physically wandered the land, and no one was the wiser? Sure, he spied out secrets, but he had time and help in doing so.

To quote Gandalf the White:
Quote:
Once I do not doubt that he <Saruman> was the friend of Rohan; and even when his heart grew colder, he found you useful still. But for long now he has plotted your ruin, wearing the mask of friendship, until he was ready. In those years Wormtongue's task was easy, and all that you did was swiftly known in Isengard; for your land was open, and strangers came and went.
Friends don't let friends spirit walk.

Anyway, like I'm been saying, we can speculate on things, but we need to have some evidence from which to extrapolate.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #46
Mansun

Quote:
Why not? How would you back up such a claim when some nitpicking cynical skeptic..for instance, someone like me ...asked how you arrived at such a declaration?

I completely disagree. It wasn't until a few months or days before these days that Theoden would have taken action or permitted any action against Saruman - if he ever would, especially when he was still a thrall of Wormtongue. And what evidence do we have that Saruman non-physically wandered the land, and no one was the wiser? Sure, he spied out secrets, but he had time and help in doing so.

To quote Gandalf the White:

Friends don't let friends spirit walk.

Anyway, like I'm been saying, we can speculate on things, but we need to have some evidence from which to extrapolate.

One should not rule out a possibility unless it can be proved impossible! Could the power of Saruman be measured to such an extent as to rule out a relatively basic operation as creating a spirit of himself in other lands?

Last edited by Mansun; 12-06-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #47
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
One should not rule out a possibility unless it can be proved impossible!
Agreed. But one also should not consider something to be probable just because it is possible.

And given your statement, I would posit that the old man is actually Fengel. Possible? But of course. Prove that it's not him while I get ready to add another possibility to the list.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #48
Mansun

Quote:
Agreed. But one also should not consider something to be probable just because it is possible.

And given your statement, I would posit that the old man is actually Fengel. Possible? But of course. Prove that it's not him while I get ready to add another possibility to the list.
There is more evidence from the text to support the view that the Old Man in some shape or form was Saruman, of course. My view is that it was a spirit of Saruman, rather than the physical form. The text does, to some extent, support this view, in the eyes of Gimli at least.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #49
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
There is more evidence from the text to support the view that the Old Man in some shape or form was Saruman, of course.
Not really. The Three see an old man. If they knew it were Saruman, they would have stated thus. The old man looked like Gandalf, and as the Grey One was a wizard, they assumed that this old man may have been Saruman as (1) they were near to Saruman's abode, (2) they'd been chasing the band of the White Hand for days, and so had White Wizard on the noggin, and (3) didn't know of every possible character alive (or possible) in Middle Earth at that time from which to choose. The number of old men known to Gimli and Legolas must have been limited, if they knew any at all, and as Lindir says in Rivendell:

Quote:
"To sheep other sheep no doubt appear different," laughed Lindir. "Or to shepherds. But Mortals have not been our study. We have other business."
...meaning that these two could, like Elrond regarding hobbits, have no clue regarding the variations in old male humans and/or those that appear thus.

Had they known it to be Saruman, they would not have asked Gandalf (which they too confused as possibly just some old man) who it may have been. Even Gandalf does not know with any certainty, as he says something like, 'then I guess you must have seen Saruman.' Maybe this creature that they saw is a one-shot, much like Bombadil but with much less documentation.

Of course I'm just arguing the other side.

Quote:
My view is that it was a spirit of Saruman, rather than the physical form. The text does, to some extent, support this view, in the eyes of Gimli at least.
Again, interesting. I would like to read that evidence, if you have time or could point me in the right direction.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #50
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Perhaps it was the spirit of Saruman, the very one that had bewitched Theoden, and on the way back to Isengard having achieved what evil it required. Though this theory reminds me very much of the film more than anything.
Please provide textual evidence that the 'spirit' of Saruman bewitched Theoden. According to Unfinished Tales, Tolkien ascertains that Grima poisoned Theoden, and then Wormtongue used his influence on the drugged king to further Saruman's interests in Rohan. I believe you are having yet another movie moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
I agree with your assumptions. Theoden, under the influence of Grima, forbade any action against Saruman, even though in September of 3018 Gandalf had sought an audience with Theoden (which was at first denied), and he eventually told the king that he had been held captive by Saruman in Orthanc, but Theoden was incapable of making decisions and deferred always to Grima.

After Theodred's murder (Saruman sent the force of orcs to the Fords of Isen with strict orders to kill Theodred), Erkenbrand assumed control of Rohan's forces and sent word to Meduseld for more troops, but he was denied by Theoden (at Grima's insistence). In essence, thereafter Eomer basically broke a royal edict by attacking the Orcs who held Merry and Pippin captive. He was then arrested on Grima's initiative for defying the King's orders.

It is obvious that anyway laying hands on Saruman's person would have been at least imprisoned, or more likely summarily executed by the order of Theoden. In any case, there is little evidence in the text that Saruman wandered about Rohan in spirit form, and if there is, I should like to see it.

Last edited by Morthoron; 12-07-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #51
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Personally, I find the HoME books interesting but not necessarily a good guide to what Tolkien's final thoughts in all matters might be, but there is a passage in "The Treason of Isengard" that has been influential in my thinking on this matter:

Quote:
In the first draft Gimli asks, 'That old man. You say Saruman is abroad. Was it you or Saruman that we saw last night?' and Gandalf replies: 'If you saw an old man last night, you certainly did not see me. But as we seem to look so much alike that you wished to make an incurable dent in my hat, I must guess that you saw Saruman [or a vision>] or some wraith of his making. [Struck out: I did not know that he lingered here so long.]' Against Gandalf's words my father wrote in the margin: Vision of Gandalf's thought. There is clearly an important clue here to the curious ambiguity surrounding the apparition of the night before, if one knew how to interpret it; but these words are not perfectly clear. They obviously represent a new thought: arising perhaps from Gandalf's suggestion that if it was not Saruman himself that they saw it was a 'vision' or 'wraith' that he had made, the apparition is now to emanate from Gandalf himself. But of whom was it a vision? Was it an embodied 'emanation' of Gandalf, proceeding from Gandalf himself, that they saw? 'I look into his unhappy mind and I see his doubt and fear,' Gandalf has said; it seems more likely perhaps that through his deep concentration on Saruman he had 'projected' an image of Saruman which the three companions could momentarily see. I have found no other evidence to cast light on this most curious element in the tale; but it may be noted that in a time-scheme deriving from the time of the writing of 'Helm's Deep' and 'The Road to Isengard' my father noted of that night: 'Aragorn and his companions spend night on battle-field, and see "old man" (Saruman).'
This does not answer the question for certain, of course, since it is Christopher's speculation concerning his father's intention, but the concept of the person seen at the fire being a "vision" created by thought was JRRT's, not his. In my own thought, if this was indeed a "projected" image and not a real person, and if it is indeed of Saruman rather than Gandalf (which, be it physical or illusory, JRRT seemed most inclined to identify it as Saruman; it shows up repeatedly in notes and drafts), it feels more logical (to my mind at least) for it to originate from Saruman rather than Gandalf. This may be because Saruman demonstrated both keen interest and impatience in leaving Orthanc to gather news, or perhaps because he has a palantir at his disposal. But the notion of the old man being non-physical does have some substantiation, however minimal.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #52
Mansun

Quote:
Again, interesting. I would like to read that evidence, if you have time or could point me in the right direction.
That has already been answered in the very first thread post. A phantom = a spirit? Not impossible.

Quote:
Tolkien ascertains that Grima poisoned Theoden, and then Wormtongue used his influence on the drugged king to further Saruman's interests in Rohan. I believe you are having yet another movie moment.
If Theoden was poisoned, it could have killed him given his age. And how did Gandalf manage to wear off the poison by his appearance alone in the Golden Hall? Whatever you are ascertaining above, give more detail please. Quote the full text from the source.

Last edited by Mansun; 12-07-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #53
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
That has already been answered in the very first thread post. A phantom = a spirit? Not impossible.
Sorry; I'm not willing to make that leap without further evidence. Gimli's remark is not that of an expert. He uses the word phantom as he's not sure how to describe the event otherwise. Later he wants to look for boot prints, which, if he truly believed it was a phantom/spirit/non-corporeal being as you believe, then he wouldn't have thought to do so.

On the other hand, I was reading the FotR chapter, "A Journey in the Dark," where the Fellowship are attacked by those wolf creatures. These are physical creatures, as they are harmed by physical weapons, but disappear at morning's light, and so may be more phantom-like.

This, to me, is some evidence that such things such as phantoms can exist, though it still does not explain Saruman's appearance.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #54
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The quote provided by Ibri is in my opinion of great importance, as we see that neither Tolkien nor his son seem to have had a clear idea about what the old man represented, although indeed it does seem to point to a physical presence of Saruman. However, it also shows that a phantom, or a projection of Gandalf are possibilities.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #55
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
If Theoden was poisoned, it could have killed him given his age. And how did Gandalf manage to wear off the poison by his appearance alone in the Golden Hall? Whatever you are ascertaining above, give more detail please. Quote the full text from the source.
I will indeed supply you with the text (although I've seen neither hide nor hair of any textual proof I asked you to submit regarding Theoden being 'bewitched' by Saruman's spirit):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished Tales, Chapter V The Battles of the Fords of Isen
...But it [Theoden's malady] may well have been induced or increased by subtle poisons, administered by Grima. In any case, Theoden's sense of weakness and dependence on Grima was largely due to the cunning and skill of this evil counsellor's suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotR, 'King of the Golden Hall'
'If this is bewitchment,' said Theoden, 'it seems to me more wholesome than your whisperings. Your leechcraft ere long would have me walking on all fours like a beast.'
As you can see, there is never a direct reference to Saruman regarding Theoden's stuppor (drowsiness, a sure sign one is drugged), and Grima is held responsible for the prolonged and addled dependence of Theoden. In addition, Theoden himself uses the word 'leechcraft', which by definition refers to archaic medicinal practices. In an analogical sense 'honey in the ear' is whispered lies as well as a non-invasive method of introducing poison into the body.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #56
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
As you can see, there is never a direct reference to Saruman regarding Theoden's stuppor (drowsiness, a sure sign one is drugged), and Grima is held responsible for the prolonged and addled dependence of Theoden. In addition, Theoden himself uses the word 'leechcraft', which by definition refers to archaic medicinal practices. In an analogical sense 'honey in the ear' is whispered lies as well as a non-invasive method of introducing poison into the body.
Far be it for me to argue with the Professor, but I would think that 'poison' is too strong a word. Drugging need not be poisoning at some dosage, as we acetaminophen users know. Could Grima been 'dosing' Theoden with some type of narcotic that dulled his mind?

But pharmacopeia doesn't seem like Saruman's thing, but more like something Radagast would use. Could it have been more of the psychic drugging, like the mental abuse a torturer uses to break the will of a captive - nothing physical, just relentless words that darken the listener's skies?

If it truly were a physical poison, then how did Gandalf cure such a thing, as we don't see him curing anything, even the Black Breath, later in the Houses of Healing?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #57
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Far be it for me to argue with the Professor, but I would think that 'poison' is too strong a word. Drugging need not be poisoning at some dosage, as we acetaminophen users know. Could Grima been 'dosing' Theoden with some type of narcotic that dulled his mind?
The word 'poison' is an older word than 'drug' (poison is the Middle French variant of the Latin 'potio' or potion as we know it, whereas drug is derived from the Middle-English 'drogge' and dates to no earlier than the 14th century, but 'poison' can be found in Middle-English texts as early as the 11th century). Knowing Tolkien's penchant for a turn of a word, the use of 'poison' (and he would know it was a derivative of the stem of 'potion') can mean a 'liquid dose', and there is also the metaphoric meaning as in 'to poison one's mind'. Therefore, it would seem that Tolkien would prefer to use the older term and its double meaning, just as Theoden speaks of 'leechcraft' (and the word 'leech' fits Grima nicely, doesn't it?), rather than more modern medical terminology.

Quote:
But pharmacopeia doesn't seem like Saruman's thing, but more like something Radagast would use. Could it have been more of the psychic drugging, like the mental abuse a torturer uses to break the will of a captive - nothing physical, just relentless words that darken the listener's skies?

If it truly were a physical poison, then how did Gandalf cure such a thing, as we don't see him curing anything, even the Black Breath, later in the Houses of Healing?
I have not heard that Radagast was into psychotropics (but, of course, Hobbits were into 'shrooms). It would seem to me that Saruman would indeed engage in developing poisons, or mind-altering drugs, as part of his studies (after all, he was pretty handy with gunpowder, another newfangled innovation). The wording Tolkien uses regarding Grima and poisoning seems to indicate that the original malady Theoden suffered was either 'induced' or 'increased' by Grima's poison or potion, but that the actual prolongation of this malady was due more to Grima's subtle and insidious mind manipulation rather than regular dosing; hence, when Gandalf drags Theoden out into the sunlight, the king was not necessarily under the influence of any mood-modifier, and therefore is able to eventually stand without assistance.

From a strictly deductive standpoint, I don't think any magic or Sarumanic incorporeal manifestations were necessary in debilitating Theoden.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #58
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Saruman may not have been into the use of poisons on his enemies, but apparently, Grima was. At the very beginning of "The Battles of the Fords of Isen" in UT, Tolkien writes:

Quote:
The chief obstacles to an easy conquest of Rohan by Saruman were Theodred and Eomer: they were vigorous men, devoted to the King, and high in his affections, as his only son and sister-son; and they did all that they could to thwart the influence over him that Grima had gained when the King's health began to fail. This occurred early in the year 3014, when Theoden was sixty-six; his malady may thus have been due to natural causes, though the Rohirrim commonly lived till near or beyond their eightieth year. But it may well have been induced or increased by subtle poisons, administered by Grima. In any case Theoden's sense of weakness and dependence on Grima was largely due to the cunning and skill of this evil counsellor's suggestions.
I wasn't looking for that, but happened to be collecting books scattered around the house and came upon my old beater copy of UT, which, of course, I had to leaf through. That passage just happened to catch my eye; make of it what you will.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #59
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniđilpathânezel View Post
This may be because Saruman demonstrated both keen interest and impatience in leaving Orthanc to gather news, or perhaps because he has a palantir at his disposal. But the notion of the old man being non-physical does have some substantiation, however minimal.
This suggests to me an interesting interpretation of the old man, although one that I am hard pressed to provide any evidence for. The thought does arise, however: Why would Saruman bother to personally visit the campsite on the borders of Fangorn if he has a Palantir at his disposal? Now it may not always be straightforward to bend the Palantir to one's will, but given Saruman's intense desire to know what happened to his raiding party, it is actually hard to imagine that he was not busy using the Palantir he possessed to this end.

Now why the use of the Palantir by Saruman, if successful in locating and seeing the three on the borders of Fangorn, would result in a vision, I don't know, and there is no direct support to this. But it seems likely that in one way or another, he was "bending his thought" in that direction, so an evanescent phantom of him might be reasonable, whether aided by the Palantir he held or not...
Old 12-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #60
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
CSteefel

Quote:
This suggests to me an interesting interpretation of the old man, although one that I am hard pressed to provide any evidence for. The thought does arise, however: Why would Saruman bother to personally visit the campsite on the borders of Fangorn if he has a Palantir at his disposal? Now it may not always be straightforward to bend the Palantir to one's will, but given Saruman's intense desire to know what happened to his raiding party, it is actually hard to imagine that he was not busy using the Palantir he possessed to this end.

Now why the use of the Palantir by Saruman, if successful in locating and seeing the three on the borders of Fangorn, would result in a vision, I don't know, and there is no direct support to this. But it seems likely that in one way or another, he was "bending his thought" in that direction, so an evanescent phantom of him might be reasonable, whether aided by the Palantir he held or not...
I wonder if Saruman might not have been afraid to utilize the Palantír of Orthanc at that point. He had been communicating with Sauron for some time, and Sauron had been able to dominate him through it. Saruman had to have been well aware that Sauron could wrest control away from him at any time and demand an account of his doings. Recall what Pippin reported his Questioner saying during his glance at the Stone.

Quote:
So you have come back? Why have you neglected to report for so long?
TT p. 219
Sauron at first thought the surveyor was Saruman, and it appears Saruman had avoided using his Stone for some time.
As to the theory that Saruman had somehow been able to conjure a phantom of himself through the Palantír, it is said, I think, in UT that on their own the Stones could only see. No actual communication was possible with anyone by use of a Stone unless the surveyor could find someone who was also using one at the same time. I don't see how any type of image projection would have been possible.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #61
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I don't see how any type of image projection would have been possible.
So, it wasn't a high-def Palantir then?

But I agree with you, the Palantiri were not astral projectors. What one viewed in the stones could be manipulated -- as Sauron did to Denethor -- but Sauron did not jump out on the Steward in his room in the White Tower.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #62
CSteefel
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
CSteefel
I wonder if Saruman might not have been afraid to utilize the Palantír of Orthanc at that point. He had been communicating with Sauron for some time, and Sauron had been able to dominate him through it. Saruman had to have been well aware that Sauron could wrest control away from him at any time and demand an account of his doings. Recall what Pippin reported his Questioner saying during his glance at the Stone.

TT p. 219
Sauron at first thought the surveyor was Saruman, and it appears Saruman had avoided using his Stone for some time.
As to the theory that Saruman had somehow been able to conjure a phantom of himself through the Palantír, it is said, I think, in UT that on their own the Stones could only see. No actual communication was possible with anyone by use of a Stone unless the surveyor could find someone who was also using one at the same time. I don't see how any type of image projection would have been possible.
Yes, good points--it seems you shot down my (short lived and speculative) theories.

I can find nothing about the Palantir working as "projectors", as you mentioned. Obviously they could be used to see, suggesting that Saruman could have spied on the three travelers (in the UT, there is a detailed description of how Denethor might have seen what was happening in Rohan, including "zoom ins"). But any form of communication/projection of an image seems to require a second Palantir. But as you also suggest, there is good evidence that Saruman had not used the Palantir recently, fearing rightfully that as soon as he did so, Sauron would appear. This certainly would have been the last thing he wanted, since it would have presumably given away the fact that he had organized a party to try to obtain the ring for himself.

On the subject of phantoms or visions, there is the case of where Sauron in the 1st Age managed to fool Gorlim, one of Barahir's group in Dorthonion, by presenting a vision or phantom of his wife Eilinel. This would indicate that a Maiar sorcerer is capable of such "magic", so maybe Saruman is as well. However, this doesn't really explain what would be Saruman's motivation for presenting a vision to the three travellers--what purpose is accomplished?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #63
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

He walks very softly and carries a big stick

I don't have my book in front of me, but in the Chapter 'The Voice of Saruman,' we learn that Saruman has the ability to just 'pop up.' Reread the text where he is summoned by Gandalf. It goes something like, 'everyone is astonished as Saruman just appears, as no one heard him approach.'

So, by whatever means, if he can show up in a 'poof' kind of way for a company that includes humans, hobbits, horses, a dwarf, an elf, some ents and a white wizard - and be there physically - surely he can do it in reverse, and just poof out.

And if I remember my AD&D correctly, this is some feat, as Rangers are rarely surprised...Peter Jackson's ranger not withstanding.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #64
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ok, that is a legitimate argument, although you must admit there is a difference between disappearing from an open field and appearing at a rail. In one case it's just a step away from not being seen in the other many.

But yeah, the astonishment of those present does remind of the old man's disappearence, it does all in all point towards Saruman as the culprit that night.

But I still can't believe he would leave so quickly...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #65
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Maybe he would if he sensed another Power -- Gandalf -- in the area. I've always wondered why Saruman seemed completely unsurprised by Gandalf's presence on the steps of Orthanc after the battle. Did he have no news that Gandalf had died in Moria? Enquiring minds want to know...
Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #66
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Ok, that is a legitimate argument, although you must admit there is a difference between disappearing from an open field and appearing at a rail. In one case it's just a step away from not being seen in the other many.
Very much agreed. The probability of appearing at the rail, having been summoned and being expected, is very high...and yet the group I name (in the author's words) are astonished. How much more astonishing then for him to appear - then disappear -where he is not expected nor summoned?

Quote:
But yeah, the astonishment of those present does remind of the old man's disappearence, it does all in all point towards Saruman as the culprit that night.
Like you, I'm holding out for the DNA evidence.

Quote:
I'm with you, though it does make the writing of the scene easier.

And regarding the palantir allowing one to 'hologram' to another place...I just can't get the image out of my mind of Saruman being in the shower and Sauron popping into the bathroom.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #67
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Perhaps the old man was neither Gandalf or Saruman. Maybe, just maybe, it was C.S. Lewis poking around Middle-earth in search of good place names for his Narnia series.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #68
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Perhaps the old man was neither Gandalf or Saruman. Maybe, just maybe, it was C.S. Lewis poking around Middle-earth in search of good place names for his Narnia series.
But his role in Middle-Earth was embodied in Treebeard.

Last edited by Kitanna; 12-11-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #69
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Or perhaps for That Hideous Strength, since he more or less plagiarizes the term "Numinor."
Old 12-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #70
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

For what it's worth, the quote I alluded to previously is:

Quote:
They looked up, astonished, for they had heard no sound of his coming; and they saw a figure standing at the rail, looking down upon them: an old man, swathed in a great cloak, the colour of which was not easy to tell, for it changed if they moved their eyes or if he stirred.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #71
CSteefel
Wight

Quote:
For what it's worth, the quote I alluded to previously is:
Good allusion here. I think it does lend further credence to the idea that it was Saruman, although whether himself (I doubt it) or a phantom/vision is not 100% clear...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #72
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
alatar, the detail I noticed in that quote is the cloak:
Quote:
...a great cloak, the colour of which was not easy to tell, for it changed if they moved their eyes or if he stirred.
Now that sounds more like a technicolour dream coat than a robe of white, which is what Gandalf had at this time. Granted, it is part of the ambivalence that surrounds the old man; however, Gandalf may have appeared to others cloaked in grey robes to hide the white, but I don't recall an instance of Gandalf the White appearing in a deceptive manner.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #73
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSteefel View Post
Good allusion here. I think it does lend further credence to the idea that it was Saruman, although whether himself (I doubt it) or a phantom/vision is not 100% clear...
Again, we have no evidence that 'phantoms' and 'visions' are things that occur in Middle Earth. Though as explanations they may be possible, how much more probable that it simply was the old man himself, with his colour-changing cloak, and his ability to 'just appear' (and assuming then the opposite ability).

The harder issue to explain was his reason for leaving so rapidly, and my only hypothesis there is that he thought he had found himself within a bad joke, and so decided to get out as soon as possible.

"An Elf, a Ranger and a Dwarf are sitting in a forest..."
Old 12-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #74
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
alatar, the detail I noticed in that quote is the cloak: Now that sounds more like a technicolour dream coat than a robe of white, which is what Gandalf had at this time. Granted, it is part of the ambivalence that surrounds the old man; however, Gandalf may have appeared to others cloaked in grey robes to hide the white, but I don't recall an instance of Gandalf the White appearing in a deceptive manner.

Gandalf noticed that Saruman's cloak was no longer white while in Orthanc (just prior to his imprisonment atop the tower); it was, rather, a dazzling array of all colors.

Last edited by Morthoron; 12-13-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #75
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Precisely.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #76
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Another neat parallel in the story is that Saruman's robes actually eventually turn gray (muddy, bespattered, torn) after Gandalf's become white. Sort of mirroring one's ascension and one's decline in a literal/visual manner rather than merely figuratively.