The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2002, 04:07 PM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting TTT - what do you want to see in the extended version?

Well now that we have seen it - what do we want in the final version?<P>I for one would be delighted to see a whole new set of Faramir dialouges. <P>It could be inexpensive [relatively speaking] as all of the new takes could be in a the private part of the cave where Faramir [ in the book] talks to the hobbits.<P>Us purists would of course be thrilled and would trip over ourselves to get copies.<P>I also would like to see anything that can be done to help the poor ents seem more entish.<P>some Hoom's and Hroom now would be good.<BR>But Fangorn was so digital I doubt we shall see anything like it. very expensive to play w/ digital scenes.<P><BR>Funny now that i get down to it, I can much more easily think of what i would like cut!<P>Hmmm, FotR def benifited from the expansions so I can only hope.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:29 PM   #2
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't want an extended one. It felt long enough already.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ents are probably the hardest thing to represent in Middle-Earth IMO so they were done as good as I think they could.<P>Some more Faramir stuff mostly. Maybe not rewritten but something like Galadriel where they show parts where he is quite friendly with the hobbits.<P>A rework of the stuff with Elrond, Galadriel and Arwen.<P>More Smeagle.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:53 PM   #4
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FARAMIR FIXED!<P>Model him after book, as simple as that. ITS WRITTEN THERE FOR YOU PJ!
Old 12-19-2002, 04:54 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Some friendly Faramir scenes would be nice. Plus, I would really like to see a flashback of him encountering Boromir's funeral boat.<P>I would like more Merry and Pippin with the Ents. I'd like to hear about the Entwives and the Entings, and see Merry and Pippin drink Ent-draught.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:59 PM   #6
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
I would like the Battle for Helms Deep to be longer, even though it was 20 minutes
________
Glass bong

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:00 PM   #7
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ents, Helms Deep, the fight of Gandalf and the Balrog.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'll chime in with everyone else - more Faramir, better this time. OK, so the Osgiliath scenes are in there and maybe they can't be totally scrapped, but add in a few more scenes in the caves, maybe you can still make him decide to take the Ring to Osgiliath (heretical as it is) but make it more of a struggle. Maybe show more of a metamorphosis from a fundamentally nice guy who's desperate to please his tyrannical father to a fundamentally nice guy who decides that maybe pleasing his father isn't worth destroying the world as we know it. Maybe mention that "Your life will be forfeit" clause earlier so we can see what Faramir is contending with. Anything, please, anything to redeem him. I've loved the guy too long to give up hope now .
Old 12-19-2002, 05:07 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Yes, Kalimac! I agree totally: that is the only way to fix him tolerably without expecting them to rewrite the whole thing (which they probably wouldn't do, anyway).<P><BR>BTW, is that personal status brand new? I just noticed it, and it's excellent.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:10 PM   #10
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Long Helm's Deep, ya I guess that would be cool. They definately need scenes in the caves. At least show them for 2 minutes!
Old 12-19-2002, 05:16 PM   #11
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Faramir restored to what Tolkien wrote him to be. That whole interaction with him and Frodo redone, being taken to Osgiliath removed. I did like the close ups of the Nazgul and his mount in that part, but not at Faramir's expense. <P>Better transition: Gandalf and the Balrog falling forever, then *POOF* they are on the Peak. I did like the Gandalf/Balrog fight though. I had not imagined them fighting on the way down before.<P>Take out the Aragorn floating down the river bit. I didn't mind the fight with the Warg Riders, but the "You thought I was dead, now I'm back" thing was already done once.<P>I second the idea of Treebeard reworked. I did like his voice however. More of the Ents trashing Isengard would be nice. Ents can kick some major fanny.<P>The movie ended properly. That means going to Shelob's lair, Frodo captured, Gorbag and Shagrat, all that. The doors slamming in Sam's face as he finds out Frodo is alive would have been a great ending. <P>Just a few of my wishes....TTT just didn't live up to the standard set by FoTR.<P>[EDIT] I forgot two big ones: No Haldir and Elves at Helm's Deep, and that battle concluded like it was written. I don't mind so much the Eomer = Erkenbrand change in that part, but the trees were totally left out.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Keneldil the Polka-dot ]
Old 12-19-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Fix Faramir (lindil, Diamond18, yes, I agree totally).<P>Lose that STUPID "Mexican Standoff" between Frodo and the Nazgul. Puh-LEEZE. <P>More of BookFrodo and Sam interacting (although Frodo-Gollum interaction was excellent!) <P>Huorns Please!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:00 PM   #13
lindil

Sting

suprisingly unanimous!<P>we all want a different version as much or more than a longer one.<P>In all likely hood there is tons of helms deep material that did not make it, so we will almost certainly see more of that.<P>Imrahil's <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>FARAMIR FIXED!<BR>Model him after book, as simple as that. ITS WRITTEN THERE FOR YOU PJ!<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> is perfect, I agere 100% but as that is exceedingly unlikely I would at least appreciate some damage control.<P><BR>I also concur w/ Diamond 18 that a funeral boat scene would be fitting, maybe Denethor and the horn on his lap also.<P>I really hope PJ hears what the real fans think and not just all of the corporate media hype.<P>THe SF chronicle today said that " the movie follows the book closely enough for any fan" <P>HA!!!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:08 PM   #14
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I would like to see the movie redone the way it should be. Everything accurate and true to the book. No Arwen scenes, the real Faramir, no elves at helms deep....I could go on for pages. Well I'd like to see TTT done correctly and all over. In the extras, one or two discs could be showing how they all had to get back together and refilm and everything. And the other disc could be PJ apologizing for three hours. Him on his knees begging for forgiveness at any cost and explaining why he did what the did and why it was so wrong and why I can't sleep at night....<P>Well I'm really just kidding about that part. Its practically impossible and if it happened, it really wouldn't be 'extended'. But I would like to see more of Merry and Pippin and the ents. I'd like a lot of changes to be made in the extended dvd, but some things you just can't ask for. You can't change helms deep with all the elves, even if we really want it changed. Sometimes, life's a dissapointment

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:12 PM   #15
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Diamond, yes, it's quite new. I wanted something Dead Marshes related and figured that you don't get much closer than a little candle. ("Corpse of the Marshes" would have been just a bit much). I mentioned in the Faramir thread (I feel like that's all I've been writing about today ) that if nothing else, having him mention his father a couple of times would be good to show that his father has a lot of influence over him. And I repeat, PLEASE mention that bit about his life being forfeit BEFORE they leave the caves. That way we'll at least see why he's doing it and be ready to believe that he might not be happy about his own actions. <P>Keneldil - I would have loved to see Shelob too, actually I'm completely OK with them leaving her out, mostly because it would have meant altering the timeline in a really big way; at the end of the movie Frodo and Sam would have been about ten days ahead of everyone else. Very, very confusing.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:13 PM   #16
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Sting

HA...a PJ apology. Followed by all of the above suggested fixes of course. REPENT PJ.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:15 PM   #17
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Sting

Good point Kalimac. I didn't think of that one. Still....to heck with that. PJ has a responsibilty and he fell down on the job.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:24 PM   #18
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I believe this thread is about an EXTENDED version, not a cut out or completely changed version, so I will write about scenes that I would like EXTENDED. <P>I would like to see a flashback to when Deagol finds the ring and Smeagol kills him for it. I think that scene would fit perfectly in the part right after Frodo asks Gollum about his past.<P>I would like to see more of Ugluk before he dies.<P>I didn't think enough of Merry and Pippin was shown. We need more scenes with them.<P>I also think the cave scene would be interesting to see.<P>It's been almost a year since I read TTT, so I can't think of much more. But fear not! I am planning to read LOTR this Christmas and will soon have updated ideas.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:34 PM   #19
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Sting

All we're asking for is an EXTENDED correct version. So my EXTENDED version means PJ has to go back to work... I think he has some work that needs doing. I was quick to EXTEND my applause to him for FoTR, so now I'm EXTENDING an invitation for him to go do TTT right.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:44 PM   #20
lindil

Sting

Brinniel, I actually used the title 'extended version' for the thread because that is almost certainly what it will be called regardless of what happens editing wise.<P>I for one would like to see PJ repent and really erdo quite a bit of this one. <P>The ents, Faramir, Eomer all need to go back to the original in a big way.<P>I really don't see much need to add to an already shaky foundation.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:59 PM   #21
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Anything interesting would be nice more of the battle of Helm's deep or more with Gollum and Frodo maybe
Old 12-19-2002, 11:48 PM   #22
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Massharpoon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Give Frodo his backbone back.<BR>The dialogue between Faramir and Frodo should be put into the movie correctly. Such a great part of Frodo and Faramir's character are lost due to it not being done properly.<P>If I could take scenes out I would give anything to have the Frodo handing the ring to the Nazgul. There are others I would cut as well but that was just stupid and made no sense.
Massharpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:32 AM   #23
Iarbariel
Pile O'Bones

Iarbariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iarbariel
Silmaril

for my own pleasure (wich has nothing to do with the book..) I'd love to see more Haldir. And more Helms Deep scenes...the longer the film gets , the better :-)
Old 12-23-2002, 02:48 PM   #24
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

There were Hurons in the book, weren't there? Or perhaps I inbibed too much cough syrup before the film and missed that part. It had to be in the movie right? That is kind of an important part, the symbolisim of the trees revolting against those who caused them harm and death. And the instrumental part they played in defeating the army of Saruman.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:11 PM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

They're not going to delete all the Faramir scenes or anything major like that so why bother arguing for it?<P>More Faramir nice-guy stuff, such as the Galadriel nice-lady stuff in the FotR Extended version (which worked amazingly well by the way)<P>Treebeard's home. Entwives and Entings and Ent-draughts.<P>More Uruk-hai stuff at the beginning as well.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:41 PM   #26
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There need to be HURONS!!!<BR>I still can't get over that. <BR>Faramir needs some work but I think PJ had his reasons for changing him a bit for the movie. I would leave Helm's Deep the way it was. I think more of Merry and Pip is definitely needed, I want to hear about the Ent-wives and see Treebeards house.<BR>There wasn't enough about Gollum/Smeagol's background, plus I want to see Deagol finding the ring and all that.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:47 PM   #27
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

You can find some more info <A HREF="http://www.dvdtown.com/news/news.asp?news_id=2853&id=10697" TARGET=_blank>HERE</A>. There'll be some more Gollum, some more Merry/Pippin/Treebead, and some more Helm's Deep. Apparently some gory Helm's Deep, to rate an "R" rating.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #28
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Maybe toward the end there could be a dialog between Frodo & Faramir in which Faramir has the opportunity to say "Not if I found it on the road would I take it." The conversation could progress revealing Faramir for the guy he really is and could end Faramir telling Frodo there was something "elvish" about him and Sam telling Faramir he reminds him of Gandalf. "There is something wizard-like about you."<P>Frodo still needs some shoring up. Perhaps more strength in his dealings with Gollum. Not too much though, I think there's enough Gollum.<P>Definitely more ents. I'd like to hear Treebeard reveal more about his previous conversations Saruman and hear him ask about the entwives.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:01 AM   #29
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Boots

'Hurons'? You guys wanted to see more, uh, native Americans? I wanted to see the wild trees, <I>Huorns</I>, attack Isengard and the orcs at Helm's deep.<P> Okay, hold your horses guys! That was not a personal attack; just a bit of kidding around, see? Just found it funny to imagine 60's 'Indians' whooping and scalping lotsa orcs with the Rohirrim, Gandalf, Theoden, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli quietly looking on, quite astonished, hands at their sides, mouths open. Gimli speaks: 'Well, we wanted help, didn't we?' <P> The <B>Attack of the Huorns</B> was one of the high points of my reading LotR and I was saddened that I didn't get to see them at Helm's Deep.
Gryphon Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #30
Jimmay

Sting

I would like the Arwen scene removed as it's tedious and just setting up work for Liv but You guys have to give PJ a bit of slack as if you have everything in the film as is in the book like the Shelob bit added in is like an extra 10-20 mins, more Faramir and the one we are used to in the book will need explaining to the audience why he is not like his brother, no elves in Helms deep would have been to extreme for the movie audience to see these 2 000 guys against 10 000 Uruk-Hai's and it's a film guys so they needed to have the Aragorn "oh he's dead, oh he's not" scene and we needed the extra fighting to please Jimmy Doughnut who only watches films for violence and sex.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #31
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I heard from a newspaper that there will be a scene with Treebeard reciting poetry. (Perhaps about the Entwives?)<P>I also believe Arwen will go to Lorien. I saw pics of her with Galadriel and the mirror of Galadriel. Of course, this could also be from ROTK, but I truly believe it'll be in the extended TTT.<P>I would like to see Sam recite his poem about Oliphaunts. It was my fav poem in the book!<p>[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Brinniel ]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #32
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I'd like to see Gimli defend Galadriel's honor when Eomer insults her on the fields of Rohan.<P>And yes, like everyone else, I'd like to see Faramir behave better. *sigh*<P>-Lily
Old 01-09-2003, 08:43 PM   #33
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1. Hroom Hoom's from Treebeard.<BR>2. Merry and Pippin drink from the Ent-draught.<BR>3. I want to see the REAL Faramir not his evil twin.<BR>4. What about the Huorns!? If PJ doesn't put them in there, I just might cry.<P>Ok, I think that's all for now.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:47 PM   #34
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a few ideas of what the extra scenes will be.<P>My family are quite into paintinh the LOTR models at the mo, and to make sure we got them right we decided to the buy the movie picture guide.<P>I immediately noticed extra scenes that i'm sure weren't in the movie. So I presume these will be in the extended version. (It's nice to have inside info occasionaly )<P>*a council of elves, debating wether or not to help the men (presumably at helm's deep)<P>*a scene at Edoras where the horses are being fetched and saddled ready to ride to Helm's Deep. Brega, former horse of Theodrid is going mental and is v.upset, and Aragorn tells the king to let him go, saying that he has seen enough war. (That is how Brega appears to save Aragorn later, not, as some believed, because Arwen sent him!) This'll be a good addition, i reckon, cos it explains a few things much better.<P>Can't find the book right now, and can't remember any more extras, so that's it for now.<P><BR>by the way, i loved the ents, and everything else in TTT, and feel that the film should not be compared with the books, as these two forms of entertainment CANNOT be compared. It's obvious that you'll never be able to get the same amount of detail into a film as a book, otherwise it would be 7 hours rather than 3!<BR>So quit dissin' the movie, OK! <P>(I must love it, I've seen it 3 times, and plan to see it at least twice more )
Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #35
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Don't worry. I loved the TTT movie inspite of everything I've been reading on the Barrow-downs.<P>I understand as well the difficulty PJ had to go through to bring the books into a watchable form.<P>Still, you have to admit about the unfair treatment of the sons of Denethor. I mean, they took pains to redeem Boromir (complete with romping with Merry and Pippin), then portrayed Faramir as some grim bad guy (he was supposed not even to want to take the ring)?<P>I see it as too much wasted screen time, having to show the 'conflict' (? ) in Faramir about the ring. If the TTT Ext ver comes out, I wish (though I doubt that will ever happen) that the entire 'Nasty Faramir' episode be deleted and leave only those scenes which show him to be a noble soul, worthy of being Gandalf's protegé.<P>And there is precedent. PJ deleted the theatrical scene of the entrance to Lothlorien and replaced it with a more accurate version. It will be no trouble. Plus, deleting all those scenes frees up more screen time to portray the Entmoot and all the others.<P> I guess I can hope, if nothing else.
Gryphon Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:41 AM   #36
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Gimli stops Legolas at the bottom of the stairs at Helm's Deep. He stands on top of a dead Orc to get to his eye level, slaps him repeatedly back and forth across the face, then leaps off shouting <I>Baruk Khazād! Khazād ai menū!</I> as he splinters Lego's skateboard into a million pieces.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:33 AM   #37
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooh I found this interview of Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd and they said they were upset that their scene with the entdraughts was cut out from the theatrical version. So that scene will probably be in the extended cut. Yay!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:57 PM   #38
lindil

Sting

If they throw in the extra 2 discs of " the making of TTT" I would like to see PJ apologize for ruining Faramir <BR> <p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
Old 01-16-2003, 10:05 PM   #39
nevfeniel

Eye

I would like to see a huge outtake reel including an orc extra looming towards the camera or someone from the fellowship and saying something to the effect of "I'm going to eat you!" That would just make my day.<BR>
Old 01-27-2003, 02:44 PM   #40
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was kinda bored on the weekend and so watched the second disk the comes with the theatrical FoTR DVD again. There are some shots in the Two Towers preview that are not in the film that may be in the extended edition.<P>Shot of Elrond saying, "If we do not trust in the strength of Men, then we trust in the victory of Sauron."<P>Shot of an orc in a brightly lit cave. The shot pans and hiding behind a stalagmite is Eowyn clutching a sword. This seems most likely to be in the Crystal Caves behind Helm's Deep. It seems likely that some of the orcs would have made their way there after the Deeping Well wall was breached but likely all this stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. How bright the cave is is a bit surprising, but perhaps this is the way it was filmed and the light level will be turned down digitally.<P>We have to be a bit careful because many scenes are shot and never used of course. In the trailers on the same disk there are shots of arrows being shot at persuing orcs in Lothlorien, but this obviously never made either editions of the film.<P>H.C.