The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #1
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Looking Ahead to RotK

After this low point in book to movie relations, how do you think the story will continue/be made up for in the Return of the King?<P>-Gathering Lilypads,<BR>Iarwain<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:59 PM   #2
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
most definatly
________
Male Advice Advice

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

well for starters we've got shelob i for 1 cant wait to see how shes gona look also i realy want to see Minas Morgul and of corse the battles of pelennor fields/Morannon.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:52 PM   #4
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

As long as they fix poor Faramir and don't try to screw with Tolkien's characterizations, I don't care what they do.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> After this low point in book to movie relations <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree that this was a low point for PJ so far (and I hope it remains to low point for RotK's sake!) I wouldn't call it a low point in book to movie relations on the whole. I mean, compared to adaptations of other books that I have seen. I have watched book to movie travesties that made me want to retch or pull out my hair. I'm thinking of "Mrs. Mike" as I type this. A very good book based on true events that was turned into the most idiotic, sickening and cloying example of everthing that is wrong with 1940's movies. So I've done a good deal of ranting about the mistakes in TTT, but when it comes right down to it, I've seen worse. Oh so much, much worse.<P>I want to see Pippin <I>steal</I> the Palantír, not just pick it up at Isengard and glance in right away. I want to be scared to death by Minas Morgul. I want Pippin to slay a troll all by himself, and I want the Éowyn/Merry/Witch-king scene to be exactly like the book. But more than anything I want Faramir to grow back into the book character. I want people to really feel sorry for Faramir when Denethor treats him like dirt and I want to be able to cheer when Éowyn and Faramir fall in love. In short, I want Faramr back the way he was.<P>I'm not worried about Shelob. That's PJ's element and he'll give that everything.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well, I don't know. It can go two ways, up or down. PJ really needs to come through on this one, since he screwed up on TTT. If it goes down I will be deeply dissapointed and have many other negative feelings as well. PJ said that he wanted to make each movie better than the next. Well, TTT is nowhere near better than FotR. It isn't even as good. If this is PJ's idea of 'better', then I'm really worried about RotK. I just hope PJ can learn from his mistakes when putting together RotK. The only problem is that all the filming is done, so if they have already filmed it in a way similar to TTT, where the plot is deranged and retarded, then that's it we're stuck with it. If that happens, then the only way to change it would be to get everyone together and refilm, which I highly doubt would happen. I feel as if this movie is the frankenstien of the book.<P>So all in all, RotK, for me, already isn't looking too good.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:35 PM   #7
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it'll get better; first of all there's the all-important quote from PJ that TTT diverged the most from the books, and God knows that was true enough. ROTK should be an easier job in a few ways, because you're getting the characters all back together, not just tracking them through three or four separate storylines. Faramir will need some work, but considering how much buildup they gave to Aragorn and Arwen, I imagine he'll get a pretty deep makeover very quickly. The scene with Denethor might be the one that turns the audience to his side, and makes them ready to accept that he and Eowyn go together. (Somebody pointed out in another thread that we might still see the "not if I found it in the highway would I take it" bit - just when he's talking to Denethor). Thus will Faramir son of Denethor be redeemed.<P>I want to see Pippin steal the Palantir too; they're probably not going to do it (time constraints) but it seems rather important for Pippin's development - the fact that he's CHOOSING to do this (albeit he's feeling called, the same way he was by the stone) and must take his medicine for it afterwards is a big step; less of the "Oops" Pippin and more of the "I did it, it was wrong, I must make amends" Pippin, if that makes any sense.<P>Diamond - Is that Mrs. Miniver you're talking about? Dreadful. And have you ever seen the Greer Garson/Lawrence Olivier "Pride and Prejudice"? Now that was just unforgivable; we think Faramir was treated harshly, have you seen how they changed Lady Catherine?
Old 12-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #8
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have no idea what it will be like probably a few things will be changed i will not know until i see it i think it will be interesting.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:55 PM   #9
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A few things will probably be changed just like in TTT. I dont' consider TTT such a low point though, it was still a good movie.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:54 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, I don't think that TTT was a mistake... and I am sure that PJ doesn't either. It is quite something to be proud of. I'm sure he doesn't care if a handful of people say that he did a bad job, because he has full support of his cast, crew, and millions of people world-wide. <BR>I, particularly, enjoyed the movie. Yes, it's different, but the more I think about it the less it bothers me. In fact, it really doesn't bother me at all... it did two weeks ago, but that has worn off.<P>I am expecting to be blown away by ROTK. It's the major part of the whole story and I am sure that the actor's wil deliver performances that no one is expecting.<BR>I am speaking as a satisfied fan... don't criticize me for enjoying it, because I am proud to say that I do (and don't say then that I am not a true Tolkien fan, because I am also that).<P>Bring on ROTK!... well, in a year... shoot.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:07 AM   #11
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

TTT really wasn't "bad". It was really quite good and avid fans can find stuff to dislike in any movie. But, it was not quite on par with FotR, and I thought it would be better because it is an easier movie to make (you don't have to introduce everyone, develop characters ect.)<P>Somewhere between removing the nobility present in Faramir and Theoden in the books PJ did make a mistake. I consider it a large mistake, but Gollum/Sam/Gandalf make up for it in my opinion.<P>It was still one hell of a movie and I loved it.<p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 12-20-2002, 12:38 AM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Is that Mrs. Miniver you're talking about? Dreadful. And have you ever seen the Greer Garson/Lawrence Olivier "Pride and Prejudice"? Now that was just unforgivable; we think Faramir was treated harshly, have you seen how they changed Lady Catherine? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nope, I do mean Mrs. Mike. I've seen Mrs. Miniver too, but Mrs. Mike was much worse...I can't even begin to describe how bad it was. *Shudder* Let's repress those memories, shall we? And no, I've not seen the old P&P; I own the 1995 version.<P>On the whole, TTT is like a seasaw with me. There were the truly awful moments, the so-so moments, and the wonderful moments. Up and down I go over and over. I'll have to see it again to fully judge it, but I've been giving it some thought, and I <I>was</I> enjoying it until Faramir. He cast a pall over the whole thing, but as I become numb to that (and I look at the book and think, pfft, the real Faramir is still there!) I can recall the parts I liked with more clarity.<P>Sam shines out—even in the wacky Osgiliath stuff he was still wonderful. I'm sure he will be just as good in RotK.<P>And, whether it's wrong of me or not, I continue to like movie-Frodo. I understand and sympathise with those who are dismayed at Mr. Baggins' portrayal, but I can't make myself dislike it. So that never bothered me. So I'm assuming that it won't bother me in RotK, either, no matter what happens.<P>Merry and Pippin were allowed to drop the comic mantel, and I think that bodes well for their RotK portrayal.<P>The little errors and questionable changes in this movie I could forgive as fan fiction and even grow to appreciate in its own right. But Faramir...my God...like I said, he cast a pall over everything.<P>Anyway, I am not giving up on RotK. I think this movie really suffered from one great blow that I still hate. But if Faramir can in some way come back or be repaired in RotK, I'll still be able to say I liked the movie trilogy, all things considered.<P>My feelings of "TTT wasn't really <I>that</I> bad for the most part" and hope for RotK were bolstered by the last scene, "Samwise the Brave". I was writhing about Faramir and then I watched that scene and thought, "Aw, what a great scene!"<P>So one moment I'm down about TTT and one moment I'm up, but either way I'm still hopeful that all will end well.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:09 AM   #13
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think RotK will be better for the 'stick-close-to-the-book-or-we-will-kill-you-crowd'. After all, TTT is supposed to be the one that deviates the most from the book(s) - & PJ haven't shut the door behind him, so to speak. For all the changes in TTT, none of them actually prevents PJ to make "Return of the Book"
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 09:11 PM   #14
Nalana
Animated Skeleton

Nalana has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nalana
Ring

I hope it turns out well next year. I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure for the most part, you all are as well.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 PM   #15
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that after the rollercoaster ride of the Two Towers (Whee! WHAT?? Whee! WHAT??) many of us are disillusioned and dismayed, but I have high hopes for the Return of the King. My only hesitation is that they left out SO much from the Two Towers, they'll have to squeeze all of RotK and a good two hundred pages out of TT into three hours. (Sounds like a long time, doesn't it? But it really isn't, I realize...) I really want to see Shelob, and I have no doubt that PJ can handle her quite well. I can't WAIT for Gandalf's showdown with Saruman, though I'm a little more worried about that. (I'm a bit of a worrywart.) I'm looking forward to Pippin and the Palantir, Faramir and Denethor, Merry, Eowyn, and the Ringwraith, and the destruction of the Ring. And I almost cry when I realize that I've still a year to wait until I see Sam carry Frodo up Mount Doom--I have such utter faith in Sean Astin to do a perfect job that I'm on pins and needles waiting for what I think are some of Sam's finest moments.<P>Return of the King will rock. I have no doubt. The Two Towers was a bit disappointing, but it's the least like the book of any of the movies according to PJ (and he ought to know), so we shouldn't worry. When do we start the countdown?<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-20-2002, 11:53 PM   #16
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I am really worried about RotK. If you think about how much of TTT they left out, you think that they will have a hell of a job cramming it into RotK. But I'm worried because the amount they left out in TTT, might be equivilent to the amount they will leave out in RotK.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 02:00 PM   #17
Iarwain

Boots

Well, all I can see is that RotK can go in two very different directions. <P>1) PJ can pull it all back together and make the film a good three to four hour production; squeeze in Shelob, the Gandalf/Saruman showdown, make an amazing Battle of the Pelennor fields, and finish it up with Aragorn and Arwen's marrige and Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin riding off in to dusk. <P>or,<P>2) The trend may continue with Frodo and Sam running through Cirith Ungol without opposition, across Mordor, and Gollum finishing off the ring in the classic way (or Frodo falling in). Saruman will jump to his doom out of Orthanc and the Palantir will be left out of the story. The tiny army of the Rohirrim will ride to Minas Tirith in time, but Faramir will be killed and Denethor will welcome Aragorn with open arms (or kill himself). The Battle upon the Pelennor will be a mere skirmish and by the time it's over, the quest will be achieved. Aragorn will ride to Lindon to meet Arwen. They will be married as Elrond stands angrily by. The screen fades out as Merry and Pippin ride thoughtfully across the Shire. <P>Either way, I don't think time will be as much of a concern as might be thought, since the Scouring of the Shire is to be cut out completely.<P>thoughtfully contemplating,<BR>Iarwain<p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 12-21-2002, 06:41 PM   #18
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Don't be <I>too</I> worried about Pete leaving stuff out, because we got our Lothlorien gift-giving scene back in the FOTR Special Edition DVD...there is still hope! <P>I'll just be upset if they don't give Merry his proper part slaying the Lord of the Nazgul. He didn't get to help solve the Moria riddle (lunatics ).<P>~Nurumaiel
Old 12-21-2002, 06:54 PM   #19
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't worry Nurumaiel, Frodo's not there to take the glory this time.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:28 PM   #20
Iarwain

Boots

Well, tealdude, all I can say is that I never said that PJ screwed up. Saying that he screwed up indicates that he did something which he didn't intend to do. I don't think that he is an absent minded fool that blundered his way around this film. PJ simply directed this film in a way that many people dissagree with. That doesn't mean that he was wrong, or that the movie was bad as a movie, it simply says that he chose to show/tell a story that many people were not expecting, and because of that have a hard time appreciating.<P>Singing Merrily,<BR>Iarwain<p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:38 PM   #21
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Yes...we'll let <I>her</I> kill them....and then <I>we'll</I> get it when they're dead....<P>I'm just hoping that Shelob will live up to that awesome intro Gollum gave her.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:56 PM   #22
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you don't like TTT you can go see one of the many other fantasy films showing-oh wait,there are no other movies being produced other than H.P. and those films don't really count. So I will look foward to next year. At least someone had the balls to take this project on and give us a film at all. Maybe if we ask nice enough, Sean Connery will do some more voice work so we can get "Dragonheart 2".
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 09:49 PM   #23
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 1) PJ can pull it all back together and make the film a good three to four hour production; squeeze in Shelob, the Gandalf/Saruman showdown, make an amazing Battle of the Pelennor fields, and finish it up with Aragorn and Arwen's marrige and Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin riding off in to dusk. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But if it ended with them all riding off together, that would leave out the Grey Havens and Sam's line "Well I'm back" and little Elanor.... I wouldn't consider that a good ending.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and Gollum finishing off the ring in the classic way <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But isn't that a good thing? Or by "the classic way" did you <I>not</I> mean "the book way"? 'Cause that's what it sounded like. (Can't you just <I>feel</I> my confusion? )
Old 12-21-2002, 09:59 PM   #24
Iarwain

Boots

I didn't mean that everything in the descriptions was bad, or good. I just thought that those were two probable routes. I agree that the grey havens should most definately be included, but I don't find it all that probable (I might be wrong). I also love the classic ending with "well, I'm back" (It always makes me cry), but I doubt that they'll put that much detail into it. Allow me to restate the possibilities as all bad and all good:<P>1) PJ can pull it all back together and make the film a good three to four hour production; squeeze in Shelob, the Gandalf/Saruman showdown, make an amazing Battle of the Pelennor fields (including Eowyn and Pippin), and finish it up with Aragorn and Arwen's marrige and the departure at the Grey Havens.<P>2) The trend may continue with Frodo and Sam running through Cirith Ungol without opposition, across Mordor, and Frodo casting himself (and the ring) into Orudruin. Saruman will jump to his doom out of Orthanc and the Palantir will be left out of the story. The tiny army of the Rohirrim will ride to Minas Tirith in time, but Faramir will be put to death and Denethor will welcome Aragorn with open arms (or kill himself as in the book). The Battle upon the Pelennor will be a mere skirmish and by the time it's over, the quest will be achieved. Aragorn will ride to Lindon to meet Arwen. They will be married as Elrond stands angrily by. The screen fades out as Merry and Pippin ride thoughtfully across the Shire, contemplating the loss of Frodo and Sam. <P>Description #2 makes LotR sound like a skirmish between barbarian tribes doesn't it? <p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 12-21-2002, 10:16 PM   #25
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The screen fades out as Merry and Pippin ride thoughtfully across the Shire, contemplating the loss of Frodo and Sam. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>EEK! If that were to happen, I don't know if I'd cry in anger or laugh insanely. Either way the ushers would have to escort me out because of the disturbance.<P>The thing you brought up about the Pelennor being a mere skirmish is a slight fear of mine. It's just that they hyped Helm's Deep as the greatest battle we'll ever see on screen, and it makes me wonder! Why did they say that? Shouldn't the Pelennor outclass Helm's Deep? Hopefully it was just one of those statements like the one I read back in September which said they were going to create lots of tension between Aragorn/Éowyn/Arwen and "sex it up" in TTT. It made me fear a catfight was in order. And of course that didn't happen at all.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #26
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orual: Thank you for your post, and saving my time by already saying the things I wanted to say! You haven't got a bit of a mind-reader inside you, have you? <P><BR>Diamond: Never fear, Sam <I>is</I> returning home (according to the pictures) and we will most likely see Grey Havens, so you won't have to end in a straitjacket... <BR>And I think they said that Helm's Deep is the greatest battle we have up until now seen, not that it will remain as such.<P>I too have a couple of fears, but on the whole, I'm really positive about RotK. To me, the most important part of the book/movie is Frodo&Sam's journey to Mordor, and thus far it has been done well. Yes, there is that question about the character developement of Frodo (or the lack of it), but I still have great trust in PJ and Elijah. And Sean will of course save the day! Oh, how can I possibly wait another year...
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:22 PM   #27
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

One thing to perhaps anticipate is Liv Tyler (who really carries the role well, so to speak) actually coming to the Grey Havens but turning about. This could be very cool, and worth the distraction of what goes on in Film-TTT.<P>Of coursed, it's highly difficult to reconcile with the Books, unless one considers that she might have come close to leaving, before fully turning to Aragorn, at some point well before Third Age 3018/3019. Conceivably, she might have been able to precede her father to Elvenhome.<P>In any event, it will be interesting to see how it happens, whether Cirdan or Galadriel play a role; whether Elrond (Hugo Weaving) has a change of heart; whether her little lamp-carrying procession is somehow intercepted by baddies, and/or by good friends of Aragorn, who are a facsimile of the Grey Company; whether she just takes off for Gondor liberated Elf-women of Endor that she be; or who knows what!?<P>Mr. Jackson is on his own here, in a way that JRRT might have at least appreciated a little, seeing as he regretted not doing more with Arwen, but Mr. Jackson is playing with fire to be sure. I do hope we still get the standard that she prepared for Aragorn. I think that would be very moving on Film.<P>Also, in this same context, it would be very interesting to see if Narsil is reforged for the Film and perhaps brought to Aragorn at Elrond's behest. That might be the sort of reconcilation of Hugo Weaving's character, towards which his present ambivalence and churlishness points.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:23 PM   #28
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

OK, currently re-reading ROTK... it's amazing how much detail can be forgotten over the course of the year.<BR>All I have to say is, WoW! If this one is done well it is going to be one of the most breathtaking films ever! The Siege of Gondor... can't wait to see that! <BR>I just really hope that they keep the sons of Elrond there... cause if Arwen somehow ends up there in their place I will be very upset.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:47 AM   #29
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Tigerlily, you can probably bid farewell to the sons of Elrond. Who needs sons (or slayers of Balrogs, for that matter) when you have the lovely and persistently indispensible Arwen? <P>After looking through what PJ's still got to cover, I'm beginning to think that this should've been done in four movies. Just how long is RotK going to be? Three hours interferes with most people's schedules, what would four+ do?
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:13 PM   #30
Nenya
Wight

Sting

There's so much that they have to tell, that some things just have to be cut. The question is, wich things. I so hope that PJ get's it right...There's so much at stake in RotK. As you said, Tigerlily, if he plays his cards right, RotK should be the most mind-blowing film of the Trilogy.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:33 PM   #31
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Maybe if we ask nice enough, Sean Connery will do some more voice work so we can get "Dragonheart 2". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We did and he didn't. Went straight to video (and for a reason).
Old 12-24-2002, 10:45 PM   #32
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All I can say is that RotK is going to be completely <I>packed</I>. Shelob, Merry/Eowyn/Nazgul thing, the End of Saruman, the destruction of the Ring, the battle of the Pelennor Fields,Aragorn & Arwen's wedding, and possibly the Gray Havens! Goodness! This is going to be <I>good</I> <BR>I have faith in Rotk. I think it will be the 'Grand Finale', so to speak, in other words, Magnificent! And I doubt PJ would change something in there if he could help it.<BR>I thought TTT was good. In a way, I thought it was better, because I could really 'get into it', so to speak, while I could hardly never do that with FotR, but I still like FotR because it's closer to a book I love.<BR>Adios! <BR>~M<BR>P.S. Shall I start a Count Down Thread? 357 days 'till it comes out!
Old 12-28-2002, 05:37 AM   #33
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As if being born in Aotearoa/New Zealand wasn't good enough already, I was fortunate to be an extra on ROTK for three days. If you think book-to-movie relations are at an all-time low <I>now</I>, you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet.<P>The second time I saw TTT was more enjoyable than the first, mainly because all the initial disappointments were behind me. I was already prepared for 'the Faramir incident'. So no doubt I'll go into ROTK expecting to be disappointed. Gollum's words show that at least they're going to show Shelob (something that I was looking forward to in TTT, something that would've given it a much better ending than it has). But if they are going to show the confrontation with Saruman (one of the greatest moments in the book), it looks set to be a 6-hour movie! <P>I think we should all rightly be worried about which of our favourite scenes will be next to get the chop. Probably the Paths of the Dead. And as someone pointed out on another thread, there is no Minas Morgul on Faramir's map, so we may not see the Black Army setting out. Frodo saw the Shire overrun in the Mirror, but maybe that was only a possible future, and that important part of the story will be butchered as well?<P>No matter how it turns out, I think I've already seen my favourite two movies of the trilogy. I'm not really looking forward to all the cheesiness of the Field of Cormallen. I can't wait for Shelob, though, I'm sure she'll be great!
Old 12-30-2002, 09:56 AM   #34
stinker_slinker

Sting

I was thinking that the Saruman/Gandalf casting out will probably not happen. i think the movie will dispose of saruman some other way. and for sure no scouring of the shire, and i highly doubt the grey havens.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:19 AM   #35
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know, from the way every sounds, it looks like you guys arent gonna see it. Get over it! So PJ leaves out some details, big woop. It'll still be an awesome movie and will definetly go on my list of movies to see.<P>Oh, btw, Faramir <B>will</B> be like the book character because if you remember at the end of TTT, he 1.)let Frodo go and 2.)some troop said "you know the penalty of letting them go, death" (or something like that), so now Denethor can, instead of having Faramir killed, can yell at him and stuff and "banish" him like they did with Eomer. Just a thought from a guy who hasn't even finished the books
Old 12-30-2002, 10:42 AM   #36
tWiLiGhT

Sting

don't know if any of you have read this...but from the sounds of it rotk will be much longer than fotr and ttt...so maybe they will fit in alot more of the scenes that could have been cut out??...<P>Jackson & Woods on Return of the King <BR>Wednesday, December 25, 2002 10:35 CST<P>The Chicago Sun-Times talked to both Elijah Wood and director Peter Jackson about The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Here's a clip...<P>It might be much longer," says Elijah Wood, who plays Frodo Baggins, indicating that the last journey, "The Return of the King," will be inching toward the 3-1/2-hour mark.<P>"It will be as long as it needs to be," says director Peter Jackson, who is busy editing the film right now. "The third is my favorite one in the trilogy. It's almost biblical and makes me cry. It's about incredible courage and the last part of it is just mind-boggling."<P>Wood adds, "The third movie has always been my favorite. I've seen moments from it and they just break my heart," he says. "You've grown to care about these characters and they lose quite a lot in the process of the third movie. Frodo, Sam, Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn will never be the same."<p>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: tWiLiGhT ]
Old 12-30-2002, 11:01 AM   #37
tWiLiGhT

Sting

back again...i also found this...again...i don't know if you have read it or not but here it is anyway...<BR>You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!<BR>Demosthenes @ 5:18 pm EST<P><BR>TORn staffer Arathorn typed up part of the Mail on Sunday magazine special for our reading enjoyment. Some very interesting RoTK information in this article ... and, of course, spoilers!<P>You ain't seen nothing yet<P>The final part of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Return of the King, promises to be the most thrilling, says Karyn Miller (Mail on Sunday reporter, I presume).<P>When The Return of the King, the final and most spectacular film in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, is finally released in December next year, it will have been eight years in the making. It promises to provide a fitting finale to the series.<P>There will only be a few new characters in the first film, including Denethor, the Steward of the Kingdom of Gondor and the father of Boromir, who is played by respected Australian actor John Noble.<P>"Denethor resents never being king, and Boromir inherited that bitterness," says Noble. "It's what led Boromir to try to steal the Ring in the first film"<P>When Gondor is besieged by enemy forces, Denethor, who has fallen under Sauron's influence, becomes desperate and deranged.<P>"It is my job to show the humanity of the man," says Noble. "He is literally driven mad by grief and fear."<P>Sauron's henchman, the Mouth of Sauron, also makes his first appearance, although his head is covered by a large helment and all that can be seen of his face is his nose and gaping, decomposing jaws.<P>We may also see more of Sauron himself. "You can't reduce him to being a big guy striding around in black armour, but he cannot be limited to a flaming eye, either," says Jackson.<P>"The Sauron in the books is sketchy at best, which makes it hard to turn to turn him (sic.) into a screen villain. But imagine not really seeing Darth Vader for all three Star Wars films. You just can't do it."<P>This is from an old interview we think, see our earlier report here.<P>Despite such qualms, Jackson has high hopes for The Return of the King.<P>"The battles will be the biggest you have ever seen," he says. He can make such a claim with confidence thanks to the help of his special effects company, Weta.<P>"We have poilted a piece of software that allows us to have 200,000 computer-generated extras fight each other," he says.<P>"You simply press a button, sit back and watch these enormous battles unfold before your eyes."<P>The incredible effects can be seen during the opening scenes of The Fellowship of the Ring, and again during the Battle of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers. However, it is in the concluding chapter of the trilogy that this ground-breaking software will be utilised to create the most incredible effects.<P>Jackson has already earmarked the film's final scene, which takes place amid the sweeping landscape of the Grey Havens, as his favourite.<P>"To me, it's a culmination of the entire story; it represents what it is to give and what it is to lose," he says. "That scene is probably the most powerful part of the entire film."
Old 12-30-2002, 12:05 PM   #38
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Everyone calm down, I personally think that ROTK is going to be great, even though they are removing some, it seems they are keeping in a lot so I am not worried. I thought that TTT was a great movie, but very different from the book. And I think that there is a ton of opportunity to keep most of the elements from the book. The only big problem I have with it is that I am going to have to wait a year to see it.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:02 PM   #39
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

After viewing TTT, I was not dissapointed as much as facing the realization of how hard it would be to create a film from TLOTR. PJ obviously loves the books and respects the author. He also needs to make money..... <P>Still am trying to figure out why elves were at Helms Deep. What was he trying to do there?<P>ROFK will have to be just jammed packed. So what would I cut out? hmmmm grrrrrrr<P>Probably abbreviate the Paths of the Dead.<BR>ditto for Pippin and the palantir.<P>Must have in TROTK:<BR>Merry/Eowyn<BR>Gandalf/Saurman<BR>Scouring of the Shire<BR>Grey Havens<P>Ok, Ive done all the calculating and my movie is going to be 4hours and 45 minutes hehe. PJ has done well - I too thought Shelob and the capture of Frodo would be an awsome cliff hanging end to the movie but I cant complain too much - except I wanted to see more of the Ents and thought the voice was way too obviously John Reese Davis... sigh <BR>
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:51 PM   #40
Nenya
Wight

Sting

So, the big question now is:<BR><I>What will be cut?</I><P>Let me do a bit of a summary:<BR>-Shelob: will definetly be there.<BR>-Merry/Eowyn/Witchking: most likely to be there. We've had a couple of hints, and this isn't the kind of stuff that PJ wouldn't do. <BR>-Saruman/Gandalf: they have to finish Saruman off some way or the other, but I think the scene will - understadably- be very different from the book.He has to go with a bang, being the only "real" bad guy in TTT&FotR. <BR>-The Scouring: Sadly, but once again understandably it won't be there.<BR>-Grey Havens: I can't imagine PJ having guts to leave that off...He would be literally murdered! And there have been tons of things hinting that it will be included. Oh, and that statement Twilight posted.<P>Well, there were the most obvious things.<p>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]