The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 11:09 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Gollum (CGI and Andy Serkis)*

Now we really got to see Gollum - did you like what you saw and the part he plays?<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:38 AM   #2
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

The split personalities were hilarious! And the fish poem! Sigh...<P>Computer animation thingamajiggy was AWESOME! He is one of my favorite characters. And his voice is exactly how I imagined it!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:07 AM   #3
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really do believe they made a good job out of this one - & they seem to have added a bit more sympathy to the figure too, which I don't mind at all.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:14 AM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I like Gollum a lot more this second time around. I was able to watch him closer & I think that they did a very good job with him. The CGI blended excellently, and the emotions were all there.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:57 AM   #5
morima

Silmaril

I think that they have made his intentions and feelings towards Frodo and Sam really clear. I like that. It's dimmer in the books.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #6
Adam Sernheim

Sting

He was the best suprise of them all, my favorit scenes was those with Frodo, Sam and Gollum/Smegol
Old 12-18-2002, 11:42 AM   #7
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I really like the part where Gollum and Smeagol were arguing (or Slinker and Stinker, if I'm not mistaken). It was heartbreaking when he turned "bad" again. I think the betrayal was the stupidest thing Frodo could have done! Of course he would not know about the split personalities, and the sheer importance of Smeagol prevailing, but Smeagol/Gollum did not do anything to deserve that. He's just a wretched and confused creature. He doesn't understand that Frodo meant good by "betraying" him. Oh well. Frodo and Sam will just have to face the consequences!
Old 12-18-2002, 12:10 PM   #8
Nerdanel
Pile O'Bones

Nerdanel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But, if Smeagol had won out then the Ring would never have been destroyed. Gollum had to win out so he could bite the Ring from Frodo's hand. <P>But, then, seeing Frodo take the Precious to destroy it probably would have stirred Gollum enough to overpower Smeagol anyway. <P>I agree though; PJ and crew did an excellent job with the character!
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 12:14 PM   #9
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I meant to say that the whole Shelob confrontation could have been avoided. Gollum definitely would have won out at Mt. Doom.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:08 PM   #10
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.serkis.com/index.html" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is Andy Serkis' website and <A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/12-17-02_LATimes_Gollum_article.jpg" TARGET=_blank>here</A> is a good article about him and gollum.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:59 PM   #11
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was SO COOL!!! The only problem with him was that the good side won in his debate and it was Frodo's betrayal that turned him bad again.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:20 PM   #12
Sharia
Pile O'Bones

Sharia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was actually a bit worried about the parts with Gollum because I thought he looked really computer animated in the first film, but after seeing it all I have to say is that I absolutely loved him. And the voice it was excelent, I loved his little poem and how his facial exprecions changed during the Slinker/Stinker discusions. I couldn't take my eyes off his mouth, does any one know wether it's computeranimated too or wether its acctually someone talking and then they've put it through the computer?
Sharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:22 PM   #13
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That CGI Gollum had like a huge head whoa! lol! But they did do a splendid job.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #14
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
Gollum was hillarious! And I agree with TolkienGurl, the fish poem was really funny!
________
Buy vaporizers

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #15
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

The special effects in Towers were incredible. Two words: Helm's Deep <P>I agree - Gollum was killer! Loved him!!! And Andy Serkis is a master of motion and voice. When reading the books, it was kinda hard to imagine what exaclty a 'gollum' sound was (with no basis for comparison). Andy did it to perfection.<P>I LOVED the Stinker/Slinker scene! And remember, whenever something goes wrong in Tolkien, we can blame it on mankind. For instance, Gollum going "bad" again upon his capture. That wasn't Frodo's fault, it was Faramir's. And any time I can blame something on the movie character of Faramir, I will. Dude was trippin BIG TIME.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:56 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I liked Gollum overall. He's one of my favorite characters from the book, of course, and I liked it that he was not made to be all bad. He's one of the few characters in these movies that comes out seeming nicer than he did in the book. I agree that the camera changing made his Slink/Stinker debate too funny, though. We're not supposed to laugh...and the good side should not have won out so easily.<P>Frodo's "betrayal" at the Forbidden Pool is something that really touched me in the book. A little rushed in the movie, but we get a sense of Frodo's feelings of guilt. After all, Frodo was just trying to save him and it was Faramir who made it look like a betrayal (actually that was the same in the book...the fact that Faramir had Gollum seized when he followed Frodo).<P>As for the animation...it was very good, but I did notice it in places. It's a lot better than anything I've seen before, but I still couldn't totally make myself believe he was "real". It didn't really interfer too bad, though.<P>Um...he was too pink, though. I always pictured him as gray skinned, but maybe that's just me.<p>[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-18-2002, 11:04 PM   #17
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

I was thinking "Oscar nomination! Oscar nomination!" And then I'd realize that he is mostly CGI...
Old 12-19-2002, 06:01 AM   #18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

CGI? I care not. Oscar WINNER, by all rights.<P>Think of all the things you were most worried about when hearing for the first time that there was going to be Lord of the Rings movies.<P>I'm thinking "How on Earth is Gollum going to come off"<P>Gollum was perfect. Now I loved the movie, absolutely loved it (and I know most of you lot didn't) but Gollum was truly outstanding. The best part. To everyone who brought Gollum to life, praise them with great praise!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:56 AM   #19
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

CGI, so what? Best supporting male, definetly! Who says they can't nominate a CGI character? He's still played by an actor (and really good one too). Gollum's movements were based on Andy Serkis', as well as his voice, so Gollum was played by Andy!<BR> Gollum was amazing! The Slinker/Stinker bit was freat fun, but also very moving. Has anyone here ever seen a more pityful character than Sméagol?
Old 12-19-2002, 08:54 AM   #20
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought Gollum was very fun to watch. I liked the way that he was moving all the time. It would seem easier and a lot less complicated to have him just stand in one place. But his movements were excellent, and I loved noticing how, when Gollum pulled on Frodo's sleeve, you could see it moving like it would if anyone grabbed him. <BR>And who couldn't say the scene where he argues with himself is funny! Everyone was laughing in the theater! <BR>Excellent!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:32 PM   #21
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh yes, he was everything I expected. Perfect, that is. At the same time hilarious ang tragic, ugly and cute. It was heart wrenching to know how it was all gonna end. (not just Mount Doom, but him thinking Frodo had betrayed him, Shelob, and so on.)
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:53 PM   #22
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

this was the only thing i was worryed about going in to the film and one ov the only things i was happy about when i came out! lol! j/k i did enjoy the film just some bits wher a let down.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:17 PM   #23
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum is ADORABLE! He's SO cute! He has the most wonderful eyes.<BR>I have only one thing to say. Can I have one? <p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 12-19-2002, 02:46 PM   #24
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Every time Gollum came on the screen, a girl behind me squealed hysterically and hollered that she "wanted one". I very nearly told her to shut up, but thought better of it. <P>Did anyone notice the scars on Gollum's back? Beautiful detailing. I too was strangely fascinated by his mouth. And that hair!
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:01 PM   #25
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Wonderful, wonderful. Those big blue eyes were kind of disconcerting (shades of Frodo, indeed) but he's described as having them in the book, even if for the first few seconds it made me think of a plush toy gone horribly, horribly wrong. The animation and voice were perfect (and even my husband, who's a CG programmer and can usually spot a graphics mistake twenty miles away while at the movies, thought Gollum was really well done and was going on about how great he was).
Old 12-19-2002, 05:00 PM   #26
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I left that movie feeling disappointed, but Gollumn was one of the bright spots. Take away a fabulous job with the Gollum character and TTT would have been hardly more than mediocre. The FoTR impressed me so much I could not help but be disappointed by TTT.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:19 PM   #27
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The only problem with him was that the good side won in his debate and it was Frodo's betrayal that turned him bad again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Lindolorien - Actually, that's pretty much what happened in the book. Gollum never forgives Frodo for betraying him at the Forbidden Pool, and he uses it as an excuse to betray them to Shelob. Though if that hadn't happened he would have come up with another excuse.<P>And yes, Gollum was remarkable. Having a real actor behind the CGI makes all the difference.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:38 PM   #28
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Gollum was absolutely amazing. You could see every detail about him and his facial expressions looked so human.<P>I never really felt sorry for Gollum when reading LOTR, but now after seeing the movie, I really do pity him. I was actually able to see how much he was suffering.<P>I also thought the Slinker/Stinker conversation was hilarious. I loved how the used the angles, making it look as if there were two different Gollums/Smeagols.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:04 AM   #29
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum really was quite amazing. I bow to Serkis for his performance (probably award winning), and I am happy he saved the movie.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:57 AM   #30
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

I really liked the way they did Smeagol,<BR>He's cute and purple, his movement looked<BR>really natural and he was the only thing<BR>good in TTT movie...<P>BTW<BR>Does anybody have a page/website/image<BR>of the Movie Gollum, I'm really seeking for<BR>a good picture of Smeagol..
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 06:55 AM   #31
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

Whoa, that link to the article Arwen Imladris posted was interesting.<BR>I dunno why they said this in the article though:<BR>"Technically, Gollum is not a "he" but an "it"." o_O;<BR>I think they were just meaning that because he's computer generated...<BR>Cause Gollum is 'male' isn't he? Not an it? o_O;<BR>lol. Sorry, I feel kinda weird. ^^;<P>I did very much like Gollum in the movie though. I think they did a perfect job on him.<BR>I use to not like Gollum all that much but now I love him. He even sometimes seems a bit cute in a weird, strange way....when he's being his Smeagol personality. And I really do feel sorry for him. <p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Frieda ]
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 09:48 AM   #32
jaz

Sting

In regards to what Frieda said, I believe that Gollum might be an “it” but Smeagol is definitely a “he”. <P>I thought Gollum/Smeagol was amazing!! He looked so real!! Definitely the best CGI character in movie history. And he was soooo funny. My favorite scenes of Gollum are the split personality and the scene where he’s in the Forbidden Pool and slaps a fish against a rock.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:32 AM   #33
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Sting

lol. Well that's a bit confusing since Gollum and Smeagol are both in the same body so how can one be an it and the other be a he? XD<P>*is confused* ^^<BR>I don't think he'd wear that piece of cloth if he was an it. :P<P>Not that I really care what he is, just didn't understand exactly why some people called him an it.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:12 PM   #34
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Question

You know what was really missing though? Gollum's hatred for the sun and moon. That was a really big part of his character in the book, and they totally left that out. It makes him more evil, yes, but he was.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:39 PM   #35
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hey, yeah, I noticed that too. Dunno why I forgot to mention it.<P>They probably should have put something in about that. :/ Oh well, we can't have it all I guess.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:52 PM   #36
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Gollum was perfect.<BR>I thought about the sunlight and moonlight thing and have found some posible and what I think of as acceptiabe reasons why that wasn't put in:<BR>1. It's a point that does not advance the story at all. The fact that he dosen't like the light does not affect the outcome of character devopment or storyline and therefore is not needed.<BR>2. Too much screen time would be taken by Gollum complaining about the bright light when his character should be focicing on other things.<P>Gollum, in my opinion was the second best thing in the movie. Coming only after Sean Astin as Sam because I'm such a Sam fan.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:01 PM   #37
Erulasto
Pile O'Bones

Erulasto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the sunlight/moonlight thing will most likely make it onto the extended edition. I haven't seen the movie yet, but keep in mind that it's 3 hours long the way you saw it. There's no room for anything else in that cut.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:31 PM   #38
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked Gollum myself. And it he was quite amazing given the limitations upon making a creature like him come alive.<P>What made me angry was, in my theatre at least, people laughed at him during his Smeagol/Gollum speech. The one where he overcomes the bad side (Gollum side).<P>I wanted to tell every last one of them to shutup.<P>Why did PJ make this slightly humorous?<P>Did any of you see the same reaction? Did you have that reaction yourself?<p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 12-21-2002, 10:45 PM   #39
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Andy Serkis did a fabulous job. <P>I enjoyed the humor. Gollum is pathetic. If we cannot laugh at pathos we would become bitter or weep constantly.<P>I think there was a bit more Gollum than necessary considering how long the movie was and how hasty the ent scenes were. And I would have sacrificed some Gollum for a little more character development for Faramir who came off as Boromir with no valor. Hardly worthy of an action figure.<P>Speaking of that, where's the Gollum action figure?
Old 12-21-2002, 11:38 PM   #40
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>What made me angry was, in my theatre at least, people laughed at him during his Smeagol/Gollum speech. The one where he overcomes the bad side (Gollum side).<P>I wanted to tell every last one of them to shutup.<P>Why did PJ make this slightly humorous?<P>Did any of you see the same reaction? Did you have that reaction yourself? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, just about everyone in my theater laughed at him...but not every scene. I think it was only the Gollum/Smeagol debate, the Coney scene, and the Forbidden Pool. But it was a good sort of laugh...a loving laugh, as if the audience was fond of him rather than derisive. It's the kind of laughter that might lead to tears when he dies. I read a quote from one of the movie people somewhere (forgive the vagueness of my reference!) that said, "If the audience cheers when Gollum dies, we will have failed." If the audience laughs when he dies, that will also be a failure.<P>I found Gollum amusing in the book, and laughed often, but in the positive way I mentioned above. It was the kind of laughter that made me sad to see him perish. I think it's right to laugh at him a little, as long as it isn't a cynical laughter.<P>I don't think PJ made him humorous, I think Gollum can be found humorous by those who pity him. Remember Frodo would often smile fondly at him while Sam never did. Sam wasn't amused by Smeagol.<p>[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]