The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
Flanagan, Fingolfin's Champion

Sting Mythology of Middle Earth

It has been discussed to great length that Tolkien was heavily influenced by Norse and Gothic mythology and language. It has been stated that he set out to create a mythology. "I would that we had more of it [Finnish myths, particularly Kalevala] left - something of the same sort that belogned to the English." (Tolkiens quote, in, Carpenter, Humphrey. JRR Tolkien, A Biography) but what I am curious about, and this is just a highly opinioned question asking for an highly opinionated answer, how effective do you think the works on Middle Earth are as a modern mythology? Do you think that Tolkien has created a mythology that works in modern times? Sure it woudl have worked in the Anglo-Saxon times, but could it now?

I think so, even though it isn't a full mythology (based on a definition of mythology requiring a tie in with religion) it is still a compeling work that does contain influences of Tolkiens life and beliefs.

The religion statement I made above can be contested, and I don't even fully agree with it because it can be argued with great support that the works on Middle Earth are a sub-sect of Christianity, and thus is a full mythology.

But just to re-iterate my question, how effective are the works on Middle Earth as a modern mythology?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:44 AM   #2
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do view them as a modern mythology,they're just so vast and very detailed they can hardy be viewed different from a mythology.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:18 AM   #3
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At the risk of sounding stupid...but didn't the writers of ancient mythology actually believe in what they were writing about? JRRT's work doesn't fit in my mind as true mythology because it never was intended to be believed as anything more than just a story.

From Merriam-Webster:

Quote:
myth
Pronunciation: 'mith
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek mythos
Date: 1830
1 a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b : PARABLE, ALLEGORY
2 a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism
Tolkien's stories don't seem to fit any of those definitions of the word 'myth'.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:31 AM   #4
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Alright :streches: let me see what we have here... On one end, Nox [forgive me for I do not have an extensive memory for long names], says:

Quote:
I do view them as a modern mythology,they're just so vast and very detailed they can hardy be viewed different from a mythology.
and Keneldil [again, pardon me], takes the opposite side and cites a definition. As for me, I shall have no business in taking sides, or stating my opinion but that of his great "inkling" C.S. Lewis:

Quote:
"...It happens at a particular date, in a particular place, followed by definable historical consequences...By becoming fact it does not cease to be mtyh:that is the miracle."
I talked to someone about this before, and it took alot of comprehension for it. Well, whatever your interpretation may be, will be entirely up to you, the reader.

In any case, Kelendil's given definition can also agrue the fact that it isn't a myth, because it is an ALLEGORY, -- which reinforces Tolkien's distaste etc. etc...
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon
Why doesn't it fit that definition?
Old 05-04-2003, 12:25 PM   #6
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What people have things in Middle-earth as a world view? What does it explain?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
Rina
Pile O'Bones

Rina has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As far as a Middle-Earth myth goes, I would have to refer to the last entry of the definition provided above:

"A popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially: one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society."

I have read somewhere that Tolkien intended LOTR to be a British legend, something like the Arthurian Legends. But in my opinion, he has gone in the reverse. Tolkien has used elements from British history to create a world that is anachronistic and decidedly British. The Hobbits and the Shire are 19th century country Britains right down to the tea and pipes. Aragorn, Boromir, and the other men are the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes, the Germanic tribes that invaded and thrived in Britain in the time before the Romans. The elves are the off-shoots of Celtic legends. The language is that of Beowulf with talk of were-guild and such. Tolkien has taken the mythic and fantastic elements of his country and combined them to, not necessarily create, but to solidify the traditions and mind-set of the British people.

"God is the Lord, of angels, and of men - and of elves."
Rina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
Leona
Animated Skeleton

Leona has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I agree compleatly with Legolas, the books that Tolkien wrote tell a tale that is perfectly believeable, as long as you can believe in the imposible.
Maybe there is a connection to tolkien's referals to middle and upper earth, could the world we know now be a kind of a "lower earth"? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 10:24 PM   #9
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's a fictional account of the phenomenon of creation and how the world came to be dominated by men.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:59 AM   #10
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

IMO, [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] mythologies are fictional creations developed to explain the unexplainable. (creation, what happens after death, weather, meaning of life...) Ancients utilized them because they had not much else to go on (modern science). Tolkien's "mythology" works, except that we're (human culture) "old enough to know better". [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Pick your pretending and enjoy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #11
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
IMO, mythologies are fictional creations developed to explain the unexplainable.
Some mythologies are not fictional.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:55 AM   #12
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mythologies do much more than explain phenomena, they serve as a gateway into a culture. What do people value? How are disputes handled? What are the duties of men, women, children? All of this is evident in a mythology.

Also important are aspects of language development in mythology. This was Tolkien's main focus. Culture, myth, and language are all inextricably tied. Tolkien knew this, as a philologist. It's why the forms of Elvish seem so vital...they have a history.