The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Vaine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting hin or chin?

I just noticed that CT refers to the Children of Hurin as Narn i hin Hurin in Silm and UT, but as Narn i chin Hurin in CoH. Do you think it was an unintentional typo? Or might there be several ways to write the word?
Vaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
As far as I recall, I believe the idea was that it is supposed to be chin, only later Christopher (or the Prof himself already? I don't know) decided that it is better to write it as hin, because English speakers might pronounce "chin" indeed as "ch", like, as in "charm" (or "chin" ). While it is supposed to be more like the ch as in, umm, well, Khand

(If somebody can help with more information and with better examples, please do so )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Note that the title of the Narn is given as Narn i Hîn Húrin in the published Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. This was an editorial decision by Christopher Tolkien which he later regretted, done only to prevent people from pronouncing Chîn like the English "chin".
This from Tolkien Gateway. Where they got this information I am not sure - I scanned The Children of Hurin itself without finding any passage by Christopher related to it. Maybe it's in a revised Silmarillion? However, it is probably true, what Tolkien Gateway says.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Another site says:

Quote:
In LR:322, Christopher Tolkien confesses: "Narn i Chîn Húrin...is so spelt at all occurences, but was improperly changed by me to Narn i Hîn Húrin (because I did not want Chîn to be pronounced like Modern English chin.)
Does LR mean Lost Road?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

So what you're saying is that hin is supposed to be pronounced as if there's a K in front of it? I never knew :|

I suppose this is why CT added the 'note on pronunciation' in CoH.

Last edited by Vaine; 01-09-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Yes, that's right. I think the pronunciation is "Narn ee kheen Hoorin".

Last edited by Beregond; 01-09-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hmph. Well, does anybody know what is ch pronounced in, let's say, Latin? Or if you know any other language where it is. Words that come from different languages, and having ch in them, are anyway pronounced differently in English... Like, chalcedone. It is not supposed to be really k. But quite close to it. Well, how do you pronounce for example Marach, anyway? That's what it is.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

It's not as simple as "Mare-ahk" with a hard K, is it? I picture the "ch" as having more (how can I explain?) character to it? I can hear it in my head but I can't pronounce it properly myself. I don't think it's a sound from English - more like German. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, the pronunciation guide in Children of Hurin says CH has the same value as Scottish loch or German buch.

Last edited by Beregond; 01-09-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It's like the sound in German Bach (as already noted).

Quote:
CH is only used to represent the sound heard in bach (in German or Welsh), not that in English church. Except at the end of words and before t this sound, was weakened to h in the speech of Gondor, and that change has been recognized in a few names, such as Rohan, Rohirrim. (Imrahil is a Númenorean name.)
Return of the King, Appendix E

hên 'child' hîn 'children', but the plural article triggers a mutation here > i·Chîn 'the children'.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Well, the pronunciation guide in Children of Hurin says CH has the same value as Scottish loch or German buch.
Only when 'ch' is at the end of a word I recon.

I am norwegian and can pretty much figure how chin i supposed to sound. ( As C is always pronounced K in norwegian, U is always 'OO' etc etc)

After all, Tolkien got alot of inspiration from scandinavian.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If it was supposed to pronounce as K, why didn't Christopher change it to Khîn instead of Hîn? C was always pronounced as K in Elvish, but ch was a phone of its own.

I remember reading somewhere that at the end of the word ch pronounces as in German, and at the beginning rather just as H.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaine
Only when 'ch' is at the end of a word I recon.
I would say Beregond's quote refers to all positions in Sindarin.

Also, JRRT notes that Rohan and Rohirrim represent Gondorian pronunciation. In Sindarin proper the words are Rochan(d) and Rochirrim for example (S. roch 'horse'). Gondorians weakened this sound to h in certain circumstances (as noted in Appendix E) and some altered word final ch to k (as noted in Unfinished Tales).

Some Gondorians said Rohan for S. Rochan and Ork for S. Orch.

Last edited by Galin; 01-11-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
If it was supposed to pronounce as K, why didn't Christopher change it to Khîn instead of Hîn? C was always pronounced as K in Elvish, but ch was a phone of its own.
JRRT decided (while the LR was in galleys) not to use K in transliterating Elvish.* Latinate as he was, he assumed, optimistically, that readers would automatically understand that C is always 'hard.' He reserved K as a visual marker of non-Eldarin tongues: Khuzdul, Adunaic, Black Speech.

CT disagreed at the time (note that on The Map it was still "Kirith Ungol"), being perhaps more realistic, and years later in his own pronunciation guide emphasized "not Seleborn." But he wasn't going to violate the Rule.

*This rule didn't apply to certain names associated with the Valar: Tulkas, Melkor. This internally Tolkien explained (very late) as being because these names weren't Eldarin, but Elvish approximations of Valarin (tho' there's no justification in tengwar for the distinction!)- but externally, of course, because these early names belong to the foundational, Finnish-based layer, K being common in Finnish.