The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #41
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

My vote is cast for Glaurung, I must say. I would consider him cruel, and he played a large part in the curse that Morgoth laid upon Turin.

A few words for Smaug, however; I do not cast a half vote for him, but I will say this: he was, if anything, an amusing character in my eye, and one who is overly obsessed with his hoarde.

GreatWarg
Old 01-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #42
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

I vote for Scatha.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #43
radagast

Sting

Chrysophylax was Tolkien's best Dragon. He's my favorite, thouh Smaug's is easier to pronounce. ;-)
Old 01-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #44
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Welcome to the Downs, radagast, and a very sensible first post, I might add. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:53 PM   #45
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Shield

I haven't read of Chrysophylax, though it seems now I'm going to have to.

I'd have to say Glaurung. He was the father of all the dragons, and was such a cunning & powerful beast. But mostly, he was cool!

I think that tons of people would be thinking of Smaug, only because he's the one everyone knows about.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:36 PM   #46
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkeins best Dragon in my opinion is Ancalagon the Black.Glaurung is the father of Dragons and he's pretty cool but I still like Ancalagon better.
zacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 05:47 AM   #47
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Thorongil: Maybe your vote will change after you've read Farmer Giles. I think you'll love it.

Smaug: 7 1/2
Glaurung: 8
Chrysophylax: 5 1/2
Scatha: 2
Ancalagon: 8 1/2

Ancalagon pulls away from Smaug but Glaurung slithers a neck ahead of Smaug, too, catching up to Ancalagon. Whoa! And look at ol' Chrysophylax, where'd he find that extra kick! Must have smelled unguarded treasure at the finish line....
Old 01-27-2003, 11:10 AM   #48
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So whens the deadline for voting?

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:27 PM   #49
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah, and when will the winners be announced? And what are the prizes?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:21 PM   #50
A Dwarf Friend

Sting

I dont remember his name but the one in the Hobbit
Old 01-28-2003, 02:58 AM   #51
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Smaugs the name and now he is level with Angy and Glaurung. As for prizes. A dragon maybe?

Old 01-28-2003, 09:32 AM   #52
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

From my view they're only on the back straightaway...

As for prizes, what prize do you give a dragon?
Old 01-28-2003, 09:41 AM   #53
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Gold? Jewels? Mithril? A chicken mcnugget?

Old 04-22-2003, 05:43 PM   #54
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

I like Chrysophylax and all those others, but my vote has to go to Smaug because I'm currently in a play version of "the Hobbit" and where would I be without loyalty.
(By the way, add me to the list of people who want a dragon and for real dragonlovers, check out the Elvenbane series. The dragons are the principle characters.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #55
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Silmaril

Smaug, definetly, because he has an interesting personality and he was, for a dragon, civil to Bilbo.
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #56
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

My vote definately goes to Glaurung. I like my Dragons evil, and Glaurung's just about as evil as they get. OK, he hasn't got the overbearing winged power of Ancalagon the Black, or the smug arrogance of Smaug. But for sheer, unrelenting malevolence, Glaurung beats them all hands down.

Indeed, Ancalagon wouldn't even make the shortlist for me, given that he couldn't even see out his first engagement in battle without getting himself slayed. Glaurung, on the other hand, hung around for thousands of years making the lives of Elves and Men alike (and the family of Hurin in particular) a misery.

Smaug comes a close second. But after his onslaught on the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain and the Men of Dale, he became more concerned with protecting his pile of treasure than rampaging about like a proper Dragon should. And, becoming overly-confident in his arrogance, he allowed himself to be easily tricked into revealing his vulnerable spot. In order to defeat Glaurung, however, Turin had to come up with a very clever, and highly risky, strategy. And even when he lay dying, Glaurung was unrepentant, preferring instead to further the malice that he had wrought:

Quote:
Hail, Nienor, daughter of Hurin. We meet again ere the end. I give thee joy that thou hast found thy brother at last. And now thou shalt know him: a stabber in the dark, treacherous to foes, faithless to friends, and a curse unto his kin. Turin son of Hurin! But the worst of all his deeds thou shalt feel in thyself.
Now that's what I call a proper Draconian way to behave. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2003, 06:53 PM   #57
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I vote for Glaurung - the perfect combination of malice, cunning, brute strength, and evil will. Smaug is a great character as well, but somehow Glaurung seems to me to be more intense, more starkly and dramatically drawn.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:05 AM   #58
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glaurung definitely was an evil wyrm, and I'm sure Ancalagon the black was very powerful, but just for this comment:
Quote:
They're only Dwarves, after all!
I'll have to vote for Smaug the Magnificent, if only because he ruined the fortunes of my people for centuries. Anyway, Glaurung couldn't even fly!
Old 04-23-2003, 03:25 AM   #59
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ancalagon the Black all the way.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:54 PM   #60
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

Quote:
Glaurung, on the other hand, hung around for thousands of years making the lives of Elves and Men alike (and the family of Hurin in particular) a misery.
Attaboy - er, Man [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] - Saucepan! Malevolent, malicious, malignant, merciless, murderous, monstrous, maleficent...who needs wings?
Old 04-25-2003, 08:51 AM   #61
Mitheithel
Pile O'Bones

Mitheithel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Mitheithel
Shield

I like Acalagon the Black, though the guy in "Farmer Giles of Ham" was extremely funny
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #62
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

I'm glad to see new life breathed into this particularly enjoyable discussion. Allow me to raise the ante... thusly:

Everybody seems to think that since we're comparing Tolkien's dragons to Tolkien's dragons, that it's apples to apples, so to speak. But The Silmarillion is quite a different book from The Hobbit, and Farmer Giles of Ham is quite different from either of the other two. Thus, one may conceivably compare Ancalagon the Black and Glaurung without having to account for legendarious (new word, eh? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) differences, but Smaug's milieu is that of a classic fairy tale with its happy ending, whereas Glaurung's is of mythic scope, and tragic. By comparison, Chrysophylax's milieu is unabashed farce. So...

Given the farcical underpinnings of Chrysophylax and the happy ending underpinnings of Smaug, and the mythic tragedy underpinnings of Glaurung, a lot of the arguments raised in defense of this one or that being best, is mitigated by these very underpinnings. Thus, Smaug letting Bilbo discover his weakness is part of the nature of fairy tale, and is not as valid a mark against him as Ancalagon losing his first battle. There are probably many more examples of just such a thing.

All of this to say, given the farcical nature of Farmer Giles of Ham, all the mitigations therein accounted for, such as Chrysophylax being a groveling, treasure loving sycophant set aside, his sheer wrath at the stupid giant, and cleverness at all times, not to mention his ability to stay alive in the face Caudimordax, Chrysophylax, is clearly the best dragon. Of course, I've already voted, so this is redundant. But necessary. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 11:02 AM   #63
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ancalagon the Black's pretty cool, simply because he is great, but my vote goes to Glaurung. Why? It's already said here. I need not to add anything.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:00 PM   #64
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Thus, one may conceivably compare Ancalagon the Black and Glaurung without having to account for legendarious (new word, eh? ) differences, but Smaug's milieu is that of a classic fairy tale with its happy ending, whereas Glaurung's is of mythic scope, and tragic. By comparison, Chrysophylax's milieu is unabashed farce.
Ah, but they stand or fall by the style in which they are written. So a perceived fault derived from their legendarious (great word, lmp [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) setting (such as Samug's weak spot) is nevetheless a valid fault for the person casting the vote. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

By my calculations, the scoreboard currently stands at:

Smaug: 11 1/2
Glaurung: 12
Chrysophylax: 5 1/2
Ancalagon: 10 1/2

So, Ancalagon drops from first to third, while Glaurung (yay! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) takes the lead, with Smaug in close pursuit. "Who needs wings" indeed. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #65
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Glaurung made Turin's life a wreck, and since I am quite fond of Turin in his better moments, I can never quite forgive Glaurung for it. So while he's quite good as dragons go, my vote goes for the far end of the spectrum and.... *drumroll*

Chrysophylax- an excellent dragon, and an excellent cook (as represented in Revenge of the Entish Bow [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]-- almost as funny as the original)

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:00 PM   #66
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420!

:Sniff!: Excuse me as I :sniff: in indignation that such a nonentity as Ancalagon has so many votes compared to the ever wondrous Chrysophylax! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It seems to me there should be somewhere around here .... :: LMP peers around his mug of ale :: ... Ah! Yes! I have here a little bit of historolexicography that proves - proves! - mind you, that Chrysophylax is indeed the greatest of Tolkien's dragons. It was brought to my attention by a very, very short man (who just happened to wear very, very large shoes). It seems that there is this ancient booklet written in a rare form of West Saxon. The book's title is somewhat smeared, and the title page is worse, but I think I can just make it out: "Annals of the Wild Hills and Legendarious Accounts of Wyrms and Giants". So you see, the word 'legendarious' cannot be said to originate with this writer, much to my own chagrin. In any case, in this singular book it says that - excuse me, the pages are ever so delicate - seems to indicate that Chyrsophylax lived long years after the shortlived incident of the Little Kingdom, and that he routed out every last giant from Wales, sent them packing north where they shrank over time and turned into - Shetland ponies? No. I read that wrong. Scottish sheepherders is what is says. The writing is somewhat smeared right there. But I'm quite certain that it says Scottish sheepherders. There's a reference to the Highlands and Loch Ness. Something about Chrysophylax enjoying a good swim now and then. What that might mean I leave to your deductions. In any case, this book makes it quite clear that Chrysophylax had a most illustrious career and is perhaps still with us to this day. I'm sorry, but he must stand as Tolkien's best dragon. And if my illustrious colleague, The Saucepan Man, Esquire, is to be granted his contention that the legendarious mitigations must be allowed to stand, then this newly discovered "Annals" book must also be included as evidence. I wish I could show it to you... Respectfully, Littlemanpoet. Now where did that verrry little man with the verrrry big shoes get to? I swear I saw him just over ... there... He seemed ... English .... somehow.... OxfordShire, perhaps? Just a guess.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #67
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glaurung for me, with Smaug a close second.

Quote:
Which do you think is Tolkien's best dragon
Sounds to me like littlemanpoet is asking for opinions obloquy. So voting for Scatha is legit, however misguided, and does not merit your sarcasm (not that you ever require merit), or your second guessing.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #68
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

definitely glaurung, for all the reasons the saucepan man said. i mean, smaug was just... i dont know... he seemed weaker. i mean, he killed sheep or ponies or something didnt he? how noble and powerful is that? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:52 AM   #69
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm gonna have to vote Glaurung, too. For me he is THE perfect dragon ; cunning, evil and mysterious...
Old 04-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #70
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420!

'Kay, guy who be short, jush fer argumensh shake, who ever shez a drrrrragun is sh'posed te be noble? 'Scuze me while I go burry me face in me beer...
Old 06-25-2003, 09:23 AM   #71
Este

Sting

Ancalagon the Black - blatently, he was the first flying dragonthe when he arrived he was a new and evil force theres no way you can compare smaug to to him smaug just sat on his butt all day every day for however many years, you may say 'oh but he was feared by all peoples near him' that doesnt really say much, they didnt seem to need much scaring - the people only moved away as far a esgaroth thats not a great distance, plus he was camp [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ... who ever heard of a camp dragon? no, Ancalagon definitly has my vote.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:54 AM   #72
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Glaurung for me. Smaug was stupid, he was too arrogant and it lead to his death. The others, I don't know. What I do know is that GLaurung had much power and was golden. Well, that should be enough for me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Suilad,

Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:59 AM   #73
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Ancalagon for me! Now that Dragon died in style! It took Earendil and a fleet of Eagles to kill him, not just a random guy with a black sword like Glaurung, or a random guy with a bow and arrow like Smaug!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:49 PM   #74
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Turin's just some 'random guy'?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:55 PM   #75
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Chrysophylax of course! The most amusing dragon in all Fantasy, beaten by a farmer. Lovely dragon, Chrysophylax.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:44 PM   #76
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Heh heh, never underestimate a farmer with a mission. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Chrysophylax gets my vote too. Although Glaurung is the more 'dragony' dragon. Chrys is endearing. Sort of.
Peace
Old 06-25-2003, 05:15 PM   #77
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Smaug: 11 1/2
Glaurung: 16
Chrysophylax: 8 1/2
Ancalagon: 12 1/2

Glaurung now pulling away from the chasing pack. Just as it should be. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 06-29-2003, 04:51 PM   #78
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

My vote would have to go to Glaurung. He actively sought to make Turin's, Nienor's, and anyone else's lives he came across a living hell. (Dont ya love my abuse of the good old English language?) Just for pure nastiness, he gets my vote.

Although, Ancalagon's taking out mountains was pretty coolnull [img]null[/img]
Old 06-29-2003, 06:58 PM   #79
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My vote for Tolkien's best dragon goes to Glaurung. He was by far the cruelest of all the Uruloki, the father of the dragons and the epitome of all that Morgoth represented. In many ways he was the physical embodiement of Morgoth in the first age, since Morgoth never appeared from his fortress in Angband except for his battle with Fingolfin and in the War of Wrath. Glaurung's cruelty, malice and treachery, and his sheer cunning, make him the best dragon.

However, when I read about the battle between Ancalagon and Earendil, I did get chills, but there's simply not enough written about him to compare him to Glaurung. Smaug is more two-dimensional I think, since the Hobbit was (let's face it) a children's book, more so than LotR and DEFINITELY more than the Silmarillion. As for Chrysophylax, I don't think his personality was as well crafted as Glaurungs.

Shouldn't this be under Novices and Newcomers, as I am told that all "best/favorite" posts should be there? Just wondering....

Has anyone kept a running count of who has obtained the most votes of the 4 aforementioned dragons? I'm too lazy to go back and count, but my guess from skimming through entries is Glaurung.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 04:01 AM   #80
BobTheGrey

Pipe

But you have forgotten the best dragon of all Gandalf's firework [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] . But seriously I don't know much about this subject but in the Shadow of the Past Gandalf seems to think Ancalagon was the most powerful (or at least the one with the best fire breath) and I suspect he knows what he's talking about.