The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2002, 06:20 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting The differences between Elves and Men

I've been wondering what the physical differences between Elves and Men were.
I mean, beside ears of course.
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:03 AM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Actually, there is disagreement over whether elves had pointed ears or not.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:08 AM   #3
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As Eru said in the Silmarillion, the elves were created 'looking like' the Valar, beautiful, smart, magical powers, immortal etc. But the men were mortal, driven to discover things, and more influenceble than the elves, who were more 'at themselves'.
The elves knew much more, but the staid more at home, never showing themsleves. The Fellowship of the ring were almost the first non-elves who entered Lothlorien.
The men were more expanding people, with great empires like Gondor and Rohan.
There is thus a great difference between elves and men.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 10:32 AM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Elves were a very tall people, graceful, skilled, light on their feet, with exceedingly keen senses attuned to the world about them.

Some of these attributes were passed on to the race of Men when Elves and Men had families together. So, saying - Elves and Men must have shared the same physiology for them to be able to reproduce with each other.

Veritas -- Hi! Nice picture!!
Old 05-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #5
Keeper-of-Vilya
Pile O'Bones

Keeper-of-Vilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elves were tall, graceful, beautiful, swift, wise, powerful, regal, attune to nature, lovers of the earth, and were imortal.
They were also more resistant to evil, temptation, and being swayed than men were. In comparison Elrond was right to some degree - Men are weak. At least some of them... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril

It never actually said that elves had pointed easrs. . . that's just a stereotype of our society. Elves were tall, fair, and like the valar. Men (as I always imagined) were more "scruffy", not as fair, and obviously not as tall.

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 12:49 PM   #7
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
It never actually said that elves had pointed easrs. . . that's just a stereotype of our society
In one of Tolkiens letters he states that Elves had leaf shaped ears. Most leaves come to a point, or points.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:09 PM   #8
TarElendil
Wight

TarElendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If u read the sil, it says that the physical traits of the two races were much alike in the first age. In the third age it was the time of the waning of the elves and Men were now become more powerful, thought not in all instances wiser.
TarElendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:13 PM   #9
TarElendil
Wight

Sting

oh, and the "not as tall" comment earlier.
maybe so if you compare the Men of the First age with the elves of the Noldor. The Noldor were come out of Valinor.
Numenoreans were very tall compared to other men and taller than most elves, as well as stronger.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:19 PM   #10
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As the Elves avakened under the light of stars, that light ever after shone from their eyes.
The Elves were immortal and ageless, though they could be killed or die of great grief. Otherwise they never knew sickness or grow weak with age.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:03 PM   #11
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elian: what letter was that statement found in and when in comparison to his books? He also did not specify what type of leaf according to your quote. For all we know they rounded. Ears or no ears, it does not really matter.

As far as physical differences, I feel there would be little between the Men and the Elves. I recalled reading that tolkien did not want the stereo type of the fantasy characters, expecially with the elves. He never reached the point of not using "elf" , "drawf", or "human". So the elves are fair. In comparison to what? Yes were read of stars and stuff, but translate this into laymens terms?

Whatever physical differences that may exsist, it cannot take away from the mindset and emotions that is shared between the Men and the Elves. That is the thing that we should more be concerned about, you would have a better converstation, one that is a bit more mature.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:14 PM   #12
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There's actually a thread on it, so here's the link. Pointy Ears
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 01:15 PM   #13
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Oh it's easy, the former is desirable, the latter is tolerable.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I mean...I'm kidding. Right?
Old 06-17-2002, 07:11 PM   #14
Fingolfin of the Noldor
Haunting Spirit

Fingolfin of the Noldor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In one of Tolkiens letters he states that Elves had leaf shaped ears. Most leaves come to a point, or points.

Actually I believe you are thinking of the linguistic connection between "lhaw" and "las." in the etymologies.

The only thing which, i believe, is stated in the letters is that hobbits have slightly pointed "elvish" ears. whether this is a reference to the quendi or rather traditional elves is a matter of debate.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:51 AM   #15
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Elves were tall, fair, and like the valar.
And who says the valar don't have pointy ears. I mean really, does it matter what shape their ears are. They could be shaped like bat wings and it would not make any difference. Were battles won because of the apperence of the elves? I'm sorry if I sound rude. I indeed believe that the elves have pointy ears and even think that hobbits may have a small point too. But I don't think we will get far by debating this. It's the same thing with balrogs.

I think that there is a "magical" presence around the elves that few men have. And when I say magic I don't mean abra kadabra. It's like what's said in the LotR in Lothlorien. It's a deep sort of magic that can't really be seen.

Quote:
If there's any magic about, it's right down deep, where I can't lay my hands on it, in a manner of speaking.-Sam
Does that make sence?

Actually I see alot of simmalarites between elves and men. I am right now making my way through the Silmalarion. And the elves act alot like I would expect men to. Anyway, that's my two cents. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2002, 09:48 AM   #16
Beleglas
Pile O'Bones

Beleglas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Men are taller and broader then elves, elves are slimmer and have a more sophisticated sort of humour and song.
Beleglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:51 AM   #17
TarElendil
Wight

Sting

Quote:
Men are taller and broader then elves, elves are slimmer and have a more sophisticated sort of humour and song.
In most cases elves of the first age were taller than men. Numenoreans were taller than most elves, but the late second age and third age was the waning time of the elves.
more sophisticated sort of humour? not really... song? prolly, especially the sindar elves..
Old 06-28-2002, 10:00 AM   #18
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Mae govannen !

I`m in the middle of reading the Silmarillion, just like Rose Cotton. And there I get quite a different impression of the elves than from LotR. Just like Rose is saying, the elves act much more like ancient human heroes. They have vices and weaknesses and some have even a nasty character. I really started asking myself what the difference between elves and men are, apart from the immortality.??

In LotR the elves seem much more different from men, they are more spirital and have a mysterious, magical aura. And none of them is wicked. They appear to me like a link between the valar and men.

How can this be explained?
Perhaps because "their wisdom waxed from age to age" and by the time of the third age they must have accumulated a lot of wisdom...? and the wicked ones have long ago met their doom and are no more in Middle-earth.
Does anyone have a better explanation ?

Suilad, Guinevere
Old 06-28-2002, 12:54 PM   #19
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Tolkien wrote LOTR, I think he wanted the elves to be exotic and creatures without faults. Compared to the Sil, there are few elves in LOTR. In the Sil they are the dominant race, and I think he made them more human because it would make the story more interesting, and because they were no longer exotic beings, but rather everyday stuff.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:46 PM   #20
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can think of two explanations to that. It seems to me that the Lord of the Rings was written from the human (or shall i say mortals') point of view, so the elves are portrayed as an ancient, mystirious, somewhat superior race. The Silmarillion is more like elven cronicles and probably describes things as elves saw them.
Another thought, The Silmarillion describes the 'childhood and youth' of elven race (if it's possible to say so). The childhood -the time when elves were invited to Valinor, taught and cared for there. Youth - rebelling against all authorities, desire to do what they thought right, gaining experience and making mistakes (often deadly). And just because they were immortal they accumulated life experience and wisdom, it was not lost with every next generation, as it happens with men when only the wise learn on someone else's mistakes. And by the time of the Lord of the Rings the wicked had probably had enough time to get what they deserved or to repent and change their ways.
So I believe immortality (not just physiological, but ability to accumulate knowledge) is what made elves so different from men. And I suppose the same immortality eventually makes elves 'weary of the world' and so at some distance from it. Maybe the two races were not meant to be so differnt from the beginning, it just happened with time.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 08:13 AM   #21
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Thank you for your answers !

Akhtene, I like your theory of the childhood and youth of the elvenrace. Sounds very convincing!
In chapter 11 of the Sil.,Tolkien also writes:
"In those days they were more like to the bodies of Men, since they had not so long been inhabited by the fire of their spirit, which consumes them from within in the courses of time "

But, in those old days, how could you tell from the outside if a person was an elf or a Man , if they had no pointy ears ? Because the elves were "fair of face beyond the measure of Men" ? Well, that`s starting the discussion all over, and I guess there is no real answer to it.

Suilad, Guinevere
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #22
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

arathorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarElendil View Post
oh, and the "not as tall" comment earlier.
maybe so if you compare the Men of the First age with the elves of the Noldor. The Noldor were come out of Valinor.
Numenoreans were very tall compared to other men and taller than most elves, as well as stronger.
Numenoreans weren't taller than the the Eldar:
They were called “halflings”; but this refers to the normal height of men of Númenórean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Ñoldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet.’
'The Quendi were in origin a tall people. The Eldar (...) they were in general the stronger and taller members of the Elvish folk at that time. In Eldarin tradition it was said that even their women were seldom less than six feet in height; their full-grown elfmen no less than six and a half feet, while some of the great kings and leaders were taller.'
Numenoreans weren't stronger than the Eldar once they physically resemble the Eldar. Most men from the third-age couldn't see the difference between them:
"The Númenóreans ... are in constant communication with their ancient friends and allies, either in the bliss of Eressea, or in the kingdom of Gilgalad on the shores of Middle-earth. They became thus in appearance and even in powers of mind, hardly distinguishable from the Elves..."
arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
The elves are fairer than men,and much more agile,wiser,and also elves,particularly the noldor,can crafted many things that impossible to made by men.men,are more susceptible to corruption,but they still a powerful race.they are possibly stronger than elves,but their crafting skill are probably lower than the elves,seeing that they cant made a palantie,like fëanor does.men also less wise than the elves,and more arrogant.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #24
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
I find this passage very fascinating from The Silmarillion.
Quote:
In those days Elves and Men were of like stature and strength of body, but the Elves had greater wisdom, and skill, and beauty; and those who had dwelt in Valinor and looked upon the Powers as much surpassed the Dark Elves in these things as they in turn surpassed the people of mortal race. Only to the realm of Doriath, whose queen Melian was of the kindred of Valar, did the Sindar come near to match the Calaquendi of the Blessed Realm.
Immortal were the Elves, and their wisdom waxed from age to age, and no sickness nor pestilence brought death to them. Their bodies indeed were of the stuff of Earth, and could be destroyed; and in those days they were more like to the bodies of Men, since they had not so long been inhabited by the fire of their spirit, which consumes them from within in the courses of time. But Men were more frail, more easily slain by weapon or mischance, and less easily healed; subject to sickness and many ills; and they grew old and died.
I think this sums up all.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #25
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
I find this passage very fascinating from The Silmarillion.

I think this sums up all.
Not really since Tolkien change his mind later.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the eldest View Post
The elves are fairer than men,and much more agile,wiser,and also elves,particularly the noldor,can crafted many things that impossible to made by men.men,are more susceptible to corruption,but they still a powerful race.they are possibly stronger than elves,but their crafting skill are probably lower than the elves,seeing that they cant made a palantie,like fëanor does.men also less wise than the elves,and more arrogant.
Noldor elves are definitely stronger than men (average) only equaled by Numenoreans and some from the House of Hador.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #27
tom the eldest
Wight

Turin turambar definitely surpassed ordinary elves in term of strengh.he take-out glaurung alone(although he died too).
Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #28
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Turin turambar definitely surpassed ordinary elves in term of strengh.he take-out glaurung alone(although he died too).
Fully agreed Turin was maybe the strongest man ever and would definitely be on pair with the Noldor princes.
First Age eldar weren't inhumanly strong physically(except for the ones who have seen the light of the trees and gained more spiritual power such as Fingolfin in wrath) the difference is that the Eldar were like a man very tall but with a very good muscle distribution over the body(strong but perfectly balanced). So men are less perfect and shorter(average), then they would appear broader so some would say stronger. In the case of Numenoreans the same happened for they were also blessed by the Valar and were many times said to be tall and strong but still if you read Tal-Elmar tale you will see that some second age men probably descend the House of Haleth were broader than Tal-Elmar(Numenorean descendant) but definitely not stronger.

Here are some quotes that made me interpret that way:

'' But in the dim dusk of a winter's day there appeared suddenly among them a man, as it seemed, of great bulk and girth, cloaked and hooded in white...'' - This is a physical description of Beleg in comparison to the men that were following Túrin Turambar. But Beleg was known for his strength too so we can just understand that he's above average Eldar and also from average men, although the Noldor were in general a little larger in build.

In general the Sindar appear to have very closely resembled the Exiles, being dark-haired, strong and tall, but lithe." The History of Middle-earth, vol. XI, The War of the Jewels: "Quendi and Eldar,"

"The Númenóreans ... are in constant communication with their ancient friends and allies, either in the bliss of Eressea, or in the kingdom of Gilgalad on the shores of Middle-earth. They became thus in appearance and even in powers of mind, hardly distinguishable from the Elves..."

“…and they were tall and dark-haired and strong like fir-trees, and from them most of the Noldor later were sprung.

Felagund put forth all his power and burst his bonds; and he wrestled with the werewolf, and slew it with his hands and teeth. –Here Finrod was strong enough to burst his bonds to save Beren (one of the strongest men the tales tell and wasn't capable of escaping).

Last edited by arathorn; 04-29-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #29
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathorn View Post
Not really since Tolkien change his mind later.
What mind change? Will you please elaborate? I think the thoughts mentioned here are what I said in my post. I may be wrong--or I am. *shrug*
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #30
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
What mind change? Will you please elaborate? I think the thoughts mentioned here are what I said in my post. I may be wrong--or I am. *shrug*
Only about their height the rest he probably maintained.

The sentence you came up with was written around - 1937.

They were called “halflings”; but this refers to the normal height of men of Númenórean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Ñoldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet.’ - around 1968.

See the difference now? I hope I could help you.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #31
tom the eldest
Wight

Im correcting myself.turin didnt die when he killed glaurung.rather,he passed out,and while he passed out ninielnienor killed herself.then after turin wake up glaurung tell him that his sister is dead with his last breayh,so turin killed himself.this show how strong turin is,he survive a confrontation with glaurung and kill it too.then he only passed out from exhaustion.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #32
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Im correcting myself.turin didnt die when he killed glaurung.rather,he passed out,and while he passed out ninielnienor killed herself.then after turin wake up glaurung tell him that his sister is dead with his last breayh,so turin killed himself.this show how strong turin is,he survive a confrontation with glaurung and kill it too.then he only passed out from exhaustion.
I'm not saying Turin wasn't awesome but that was definitely not a direct confrontation since he cheap-shot the dragon with the mightiest sword ever.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #33
tom the eldest
Wight

No,im not directing it at you,im just adding some information that i miss
Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #34
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
You are not wrong in my opinion Lotrelf, since to my mind this description is very sweeping and very general [Men versus Elves] and I think it means to very generally ward off the idea of a notable difference in height, according to modern conceptions [see below].

Also, Arathorn has noted that this text appears in the Quenta Silmarillion of the later 1930s -- and it does, but it was also never revised by JRRT himself much later...

... the description occurs in Quenta Silmarillion section 85, and in the 1950s [early 1950s] Tolkien altered the following sentence within this same section: 'Only in the realm of Doriath...' for example, and made another change in wording elsewhere in section 85. And in the later 1950s Tolkien again seemingly looks at this section and brackets in pencil three passages concerning the 'mortality' of the Elves...

... again these revised passages and later bracketing [suggesting further revision at least], made at different times, both appear in section 85, but the passage you quoted about height is left alone and is employed by Christopher Tolkien for the 1977 Silmarillion. One could argue that Tolkien 'missed' this like height description in section 85, and hadn't truly updated the whole section, or that he hadn't revised it because he hadn't revised it 'yet'...

... but I think it's something that doesn't need correction in any case, and I think it's because...

... Tolkien knows he is working against a modern or Victorian conception of 'Elves' as fairies who can hide behind flower petals, and given that, of 'like height' has plenty of room for later, more specific details.

I would even suggest that this passage is the result of evolution from the very early comparison: 'Men were almost of a stature at first with Elves, the fairies being far greater and Men smaller than now;...' From The Book of Lost Tales, which idea changed, but even in the 1960s and early 1970s Tolkien still knows his readers are going to associate, or at least might naturally associate, 'modern ideas' when they encounter the word Elves.

I note Tolkien's description that the fairies were far greater, to get them closer to Men, and that Men were smaller than 'now', in other words, we are looking at an alteration from both sides, so to speak, but a notable one on the Elvish side, to get the Elves closer in stature to Men -- even though Men are generally larger than Elves according to certain other texts from this same [generally speaking] 'early' phase, including a notable comparison to the Elves being compared to mannish children!

Leaving aside the Cottage of Lost Play here, of course Tolkien's Elves went [externally speaking] from, if not as small as Victorian fairies, from seemingly somewhat small in The Book of Lost Tales to rather tall according to later ideas, post-Lord the Rings, but even in The Lord of the Rings Appendices Tolkien can be seen 'warding off' modern notions connected with the term Elves [his comment about wings for instance]...

... and I think this passage you quoted still has some of that behind it. In my opinion it's not meant to be precise, but to aid in letting the reader know that we are not here dealing with the Elves of popular fancy.

Last edited by Galin; 04-30-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #35
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien's final words on the matter seem to have been expressed in his author's commentary to the Athrabeth Fonrod ah Andreth (HoME 10):

Quote:
There are certain things in this world that have to be accepted as 'facts'. The existence of Elves: that is of a race of beings closely akin to Men, so closely indeed that they must be regarded as physically (or biologically) simply branches of the same race.
So there we have it: physically and biologically Elves and Men are the same species (Eruhini), and any differences between them (on the purely physical or biological level) are merely nothing more than common intra-species variation.

Some of the common tropes about Elves are not even suggested, or even outright denied, by Tolkien's work. That they're can't get drunk is false: Galion did. That they're immune to poison is false: Aredhel died of poisoning.

Of course outside of the physical and biological aspects there are other differences.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #36
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
The differences are that Elves are more in tune with this world. They have 'magic' tougher bodies and can also control their bodies better.

In terms of physical characteristics Elves are taller, more beautiful and much, much stronger. They also tend to be more agile.

The Noldor were generally taller than the Sindar.

The exceptions to this are the Numenoreans and the House of Hador, who are the tallest and strongest. Descendants of Earendil also had 'magic'.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #37
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
The differences are that Elves are more in tune with this world. They have 'magic' tougher bodies and can also control their bodies better.

In terms of physical characteristics Elves are taller, more beautiful and much, much stronger. They also tend to be more agile.

The Noldor were generally taller than the Sindar.

The exceptions to this are the Numenoreans and the House of Hador, who are the tallest and strongest. Descendants of Earendil also had 'magic'.
That's pretty much everything in physical terms. Nice post!!!

But don't forget you are talking about the Eldar, Silvan elves tend to be shorter and weaker.
Agreed the average Numenoreans and some Hadoreans could reach even the Eldar Noldor strength.
The Noldor were also somewhat larger than the Teleri.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #38
tom the eldest
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
Tolkien's final words on the matter seem to have been expressed in his author's commentary to the Athrabeth Fonrod ah Andreth (HoME 10):

So there we have it: physically and biologically Elves and Men are the same species (Eruhini), and any differences between them (on the purely physical or biological level) are merely nothing more than common intra-species variation.

Some of the common tropes about Elves are not even suggested, or even outright denied, by Tolkien's work. That they're can't get drunk is false: Galion did. That they're immune to poison is false: Aredhel died of poisoning.

Of course outside of the physical and biological aspects there are other differences.

Isnt galion get drunk because the wine of dorwinion is so strong?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #39
IxnaY AintsaY
Haunting Spirit

IxnaY AintsaY has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathorn View Post

Felagund put forth all his power and burst his bonds; and he wrestled with the werewolf, and slew it with his hands and teeth. –Here Finrod was strong enough to burst his bonds to save Beren (one of the strongest men the tales tell and wasn't capable of escaping).
One of the most riveting moments in The Silmarillion for me. I've always seen this as being a feat of spirit or maybe "magic" rather than strength, but I'll admit that brutish muscle is a much simpler explanation. Put Turin or Fingolfin in the same situation and with the same wording, and I'd probably view it the same as you, so it may just be my preconception of Finrod.

Where is Beren described as especially strong? It might be implied by the Leap of Beren--anything else?
IxnaY AintsaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #40
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxnaY AintsaY View Post
One of the most riveting moments in The Silmarillion for me. I've always seen this as being a feat of spirit or maybe "magic" rather than strength, but I'll admit that brutish muscle is a much simpler explanation. Put Turin or Fingolfin in the same situation and with the same wording, and I'd probably view it the same as you, so it may just be my preconception of Finrod.

Where is Beren described as especially strong? It might be implied by the Leap of Beren--anything else?
Well this is a feat of both physical strength and spiritual. While physically Turin was a match for Fingolfin in my opinion he didn't have the spirit to be above someone that was taken to be a Vala himself.
The preconception about elves being less in build and strength than men is very common don't worry since in others "cultures" they really are, even for Tolkien in the beginning the elves were shorter and slimmer than men. Finrod although far from being the strongest of the princes he's still above even the Noldor average(in strength).
Beren was many times described as being especially strong in the Silmarillion, The Peoples of Middle Earth vol. XII and in the LOTR - Remember Boromir talking about the strength of Turin and Beren(both Edain) instead of talking about some great and tall Numenorean which he descent and probably had more information since both were from the first age.