The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2002, 06:37 PM   #1
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Greatest Elf of Middle-earth?

Who would you consider the greatest Elf of Middle-earth? Elrond, Legolas, Celeborn, whoever?

My answer would be Elrond. He was in the Last Alliance (reffered to as LA) and he is Lord of Rivendell, the Last Homely House East of the Sea. Other factors: He DID lead armies under Gil-galad, is the Keeper of one of the Elven Rings, is perhaps the most wise ones of Middle-earth (reffered to as ME) and was in the White Council.

And you could say Gil-galad was the most important. He was in the LA, was one of the greatest Elf lords of ME, had contact with Numeanor in his reign, and was keeper of an Elven Ring for a while.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:39 PM   #2
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Finrod Felagund!!! First of all Nargothrod is awesome and second, i find it amazing that a powerful elven king would give up his life for a ouny man named Beren for some hopelss quest. Finrod is simply ...... the coolest. His dad is pretty cool too.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

nay nay, better idea. How bout someone out of the way! GLORFINDEL! Why? Because he's not important! Or perhaps, because he helped save the Ringbearer. Yay?
Old 05-24-2002, 06:56 PM   #4
Guo Si
Animated Skeleton

Guo Si has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guo Si
Sting

Curufin, of course [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I mean, the plan to "save" Luthien was brilliant! Not to mention he...... um...... rode horses very well!
Old 05-24-2002, 07:01 PM   #5
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

lol Guo. Say rather he was almost as unimportant as Glorfindel. hehe. Another unimportant Elf who is really mentioned much! Legolas! I mean, gurlz think he's cute, and he's good with a bow and arrow, but really. How would the Fellowship be affected without him????
Old 05-24-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
Guo Si
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Bah..... just because he isn't important to the fellowship doesn't mean he wasn't important! Like, look at the elves that were turned into Orcs! Without them, we'ed have no Orcs! Wait.... bad example..... um.... Feanor! Without him there would have been no Silmarils! And lots of pointless bloodshed may have been avoided! Or..... I'm just gonna quit while I'm ahead [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 07:20 PM   #7
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

See Guo? And yes, this is the Warg you're associated to all the times. What other Warg do you know? Look, Celebrimbor was important! HE created the Elven RIngs! Oh no...wait... it would be better if they hadn't been as ELrond had said. nevermind...
Old 05-24-2002, 07:22 PM   #8
Guo Si
Animated Skeleton

Sting

See? Elves just suck, don't they? Who says we give up on em and follow Orcs?
Old 05-24-2002, 07:25 PM   #9
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Smart, but Orcs were created from Elves. Without them, there'd BE NO ORCS! So, the Eldar race are the best ME's gotta offer.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:30 PM   #10
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not any of the ones in LotR, to be sure, except for maybe Galadriel. I think I would have to say Feanor, though. Unless great refers to fighting prowess or wisdom, I would have to think some to make a decision about prowess or wisdom. For overall greatness I have to say Feanor.

[ May 24, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]
Old 05-24-2002, 07:33 PM   #11
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Hmmm...why Feanor? Galadriel hated him; she sensed some sort of thing in him. And if you read Unfinished Tales, then it says he begged for a lock of Galadriel's hair, but she refused to give it to him. And to think she gave some to a Dwarf! Elrond would still be my numero uno choice.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:41 PM   #12
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great isn't the same thing as good. Feanor was the only person skilled enough to create silma, and because of that creation the light of the trees will never die. Feanor created the tengwar, the main writing method of the elves for ever after, and also esteemed and used by men for a very long time. Those are some pretty great things. What did Elrond do? Elrond had a house.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:50 PM   #13
Flute the elf

Question

the BEST ELF OF ALL TIME = Fingolfin!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I love him!! best elf ever. He was a king after all (always a +) but he fought Morgoth ALONE and wounded him 7 times...& tho he died in the end he was the bravest of all. and it said that Morgoth was actually scared when Fingolfin challenged him!!
Old 05-24-2002, 09:12 PM   #14
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

There isn't really a greatest elf. Each elf has something.
And without Legolas, the fellowship wouldn't know what was coming for he was the eyes and ears of the fellowship. And without him...they couldn't go into Lothlorien for only Legolas could speak their language.
But there are still more greater elfs in Middle-earth where they are now in the Halls of Mandos or in Valinor.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:24 PM   #15
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't mean to kill your thra greatWarg, but whom would you consider to be the greastest dwarf ever?
Old 05-25-2002, 12:38 AM   #16
Mankáno
Animated Skeleton

Mankáno has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Mankáno
Sting

Well, we would really have to establish what period we are talking about.

If we refer to the time of the war of the ring, it's without a doubt Galadriel, the only one who was born in Aman and saw the light of the trees (maybe Glorfindel and others did but they weren't not leaders/kings). Elrond was born in Middle Earth and never saw the light of the trees, he wasn't a calaquendi as Galadriel.

Now if we go a little back (just about 7500 years, I think it's between Fingolfin and Thingol and Feanor. Feanor was the most skilled, Fingolfin the strongest and bravest, but Thingon, having married Melian was very special too.

But if we don't put time limits, I have to go with Ingwe. It's true that Ingwe never returned to Middle Earth, but he was born (awake) in Middle Earth, and he was considered the supreme king of all elves
Mankáno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:04 AM   #17
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gladriel, I like really like her, she's, haven't read the Sil, the greatest Elf in LotR.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:22 AM   #18
Rosa_Baggins
Wight

Rosa_Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmmmmmm I think both Elrond and Galadriel are the best but Legolas was i the fellowship.......hmmmmmbut if i had to choose it would be Galadriel i think.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:24 AM   #19
Rosa_Baggins
Wight

Rosa_Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The greatest dwarf, i think, would be gimlis father gloin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but gimli was special to though [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 02:57 AM   #20
junglejoes

Sting

What about Luthien?I know she was half mia,but she was awesome..
Who else took on Sauron,tricked the master of deciept..?
She also has the quality of being an absolute babe! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 05:26 AM   #21
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say... Figwit! www.figwitlives.net
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 08:23 AM   #22
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

These first three quotes are from UT.

Quote:
In this he emphasized the commanding stature of Galadriel already in Valinor, the equal if unlike endowments of Fëanor
Quote:
Galadriel was the greatest of the Noldor, except Fëanor maybe, though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom increased with the long years.
Quote:
For Fëanor beheld the hair of Galadriel with wonder and delight. He begged three times for a tress, but Galadriel would not give him even one hair. These two kinsfolk, the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor, were unfriends for ever.
Feanor's death, from the Silmarillion:
Quote:
Thus ended the mightiest of the Noldor, of whose deeds came both their greatest renown and their most grievous woe.
I think Tolkien's careful use of Noldor and Eldar of Valinor does more than just help the theory that Luthien was the greatest of elves. Luthien, Galadriel, and Feanor might be the leaders of the pack, but I think there would be a close race after them. We have Celebrimbor, Finrod, Beleg, Cirdan and several others that all make a good show.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 08:41 AM   #23
Jennah

Sting

I think Glorfindel, so dreamy so gentle. i didn't like him being left out of the movie. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 08:47 AM   #24
Jennah

Sting

I think Glorfindel, so dreamy so gentle. i didn't like him being left out of the movie. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2002, 10:31 AM   #25
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ok, I'd have to say Feanor, Finrod Felagund, Galadriel, Luthien, Glorfindel, and Earendil.
Do I need any explination?
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 01:35 PM   #26
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Greatest Dwarf? That'd be... Gloin? No... okay, look Gimli, I don't know much about Dwarves; they just haven't been my study. Elves rule though. I still think ELrond, even if he was born in ME, he is considered one of the wisest off all ME, not to mention he has one of the Elven Rings. D'oh, I'm repeating myself.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:13 PM   #27
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for the greatest elf I'd have to say Feänor in the ages past. He was most skilled in all things save in wisdom. Finwë also is in my mind for this title.
As for the Third Age it would be Galadriel. Doubtless she was the most powerful elf in ME, she also was one of the keepers of the Three and she did deeds greater than Elrond or Cirdan.

The greatest dwarf?! I would go for Dain II Ironfoot. He was fierce in was, but wise (wiser than Thorin any way). Durin was maybe greatest of all the dwarves that lived.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 02:48 PM   #28
Hurins Heir

Sting

definetely fingolfin he cut off morgoths LEG! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 04:26 PM   #29
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

My favorite very important Elves, I would say, would have to be (well, King Thingol was important, of course), but my favorites of the important are Galadriel and Luthien. Coincidentally (pure coincidence), they are both female. Also, GW: the reason you don't know much about Dwarves: not much is written about them. They were very secretive people.

While my "favorite" Elf would be Legolas, I love all of them, especially Luthien and Galadriel. Galadriel more because she remembered the days of old and lived through all that strife. And I just love the story of Beren and Luthien (and Huan the hound! Yay!).
Old 05-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #30
Flute the elf

thank you Gorthal!! Feanor was awsome...but not as awsome as Fingolfin! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 10:30 PM   #31
Kidd2323
Animated Skeleton

Kidd2323 has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Fingolfin, the only "pure" elf to hurt Morgoth, fighting him alone and wounding him seven times including cutting off part of his foot, would definitely be the bravest elf of all time. It says in the Silm that even Morgoth feared him.

As for the half-evlven, Luthien is without a doubt the greatest elf, and here is why...
1.)She was considered the most beautiful elf maiden ever-beauty being a noble quality.
2.)She had enough insight to realize that Beren was a man of high honor and that from them would come the rescue of the races of Middle-earth.
3.)She faced Morgoth and her voice had enough power to enchant him and all the servants of Angband to sleep.
4.)While many elves braved great perils, her were the most trecherous, i.e., Sauron's pit Tol-in-Gaurhoth.
5.)And most compelling, she persuaded even Mandos, the stoic, stubborn, hard-hearted keeper of spirits, to entreat to Manwe to release her and Beren's spirits back to Middle-Earth for a time.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:25 AM   #32
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Luineglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i must say that mine is cirdan is one of the best think about it he saw that gandalf was the greatest and gave him the elven ring and not only that was around along time fought in some wars saved some lives built a few ships what more can u ask for. over all it has to go to Igwe the king of all elves
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Bilbo Baggins Describing Aragorn Son of Arathorn Heir of Elendil,Elessar-Elfstone of his people
Luineglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:47 PM   #33
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Dwarf? Durin the Deathless, maybe Telchar or his Master, Gamil Zirak.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #34
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

stone of vision has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I vote for Galadriel. She is so "Elvish"
And for the dwarves: Durin
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nee, ai****ara
Dare mo ga konna kodoku ni naru no?
stone of vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #35
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say Thror was the greatest Dwarf.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:45 PM   #36
Keeper-of-Vilya
Pile O'Bones

Keeper-of-Vilya has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

As far as the greatest for wisdom and power it would have to be, hands down, Elrond ! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As far as skill, and beauty goes, definitly Legolas ! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2002, 06:55 PM   #37
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Whoopee! See? Vilya agrees that Elrond is the greatest/coolest/one of the most powerfulest Elves!!!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 09:04 PM   #38
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The greatest Elf of ME? That's hard. The First Age is full of great elves. I think I'll go with Glorfindel, as he was the only elf to my knowledge which was re-embodied as theirself. Anyone who is bestowed with the gift (or curse) of reincarnation has to be pretty special.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 06:45 AM   #39
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Feanor, creator of the Silmaril...and Gimli is definitely the greatest dwarf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] brave, wise and charming all in one...every girl's dream guy (other than the being a few feet too short, of course)
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:51 AM   #40
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Feanor is without doubt the greatest craftsman, and only his grandson Celebrimbor is any competitor.

Fingolfin would be the bravest, as the Sil states, when he duels Morgoth.

The wisest elf would either be Galadriel or Elrond, but considering Galadriel's age she is probably the winner.

As for fighters and army leaders, there are many choices, but after The Last Alliance, Glorfindel would take the prize. He leads the army from Rivendell, and even the Nazgûl fears him, they flee from him on to occasions: The Battle of Fornost and at the Ford of Bruinen.