The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2003, 06:59 AM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting T.T. Sweeps M.T.V.!

MTV Movie Award winners have been announced and <I>The Two Towers</I> walked away with: <P>Best Action Sequence (Helm's Deep)<BR>Best Virtual Performance (Anthony Serkis)<BR>Best On-Screen Team (Sean Astin, Elijah Wood, and "Gollum")<BR>and...<I>Best Film!</I><P>Pretty good for a film based on a book written by a man who never owned a TV. <P>In the U.S. the MTV Movie Awards ceremony will be broadcast Thursday, June 5th, at 9:00 pm ET
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*applauds*
Old 06-01-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE!!!!*
Old 06-01-2003, 10:50 AM   #4
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
It did? Sweet!
________
BDSM ROLEPLAY

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*Covers her ears* Thanks a lot! They're not actually airing the awards until Thursday, so I was trying to stay away from learning how anything did. So, as I now know that "T.T. Sweeps M.T.V.!", I'm off to find out how everything else went.<P>But, yay "The Two Towers". Good for them.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:31 PM   #6
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Thats great! Its about time LotR won something for best movie.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

Yes, the Oscars were quite disappointing, although we could all see Chicago coming up from behind TTT and stabbing it in its back...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #8
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Awwwww, Viggo didn´t get one? Anyways, YAY! *applauds*
Old 06-01-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

So is it airing this coming Thursday? <P><BR>*applauds* I think it's high time that LotR won a few awards. Stupid Chicago! *goes off on a Chicago-bashing spree*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:38 PM   #10
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Did the audience vote for the MTV awards (like People Choice Awards)? Because I swear I voted for something like this...

Anyways, I'm very happy to hear TTT got best film (it's about time). Everyone will have to tell me how the award show goes because I unfortunately do not have cable, and therefore I cannot watch TTT win.

Last edited by Brinniel; 04-15-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:18 PM   #11
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Yupee!! Well done... umm T.T.. . I was also going to watch it.. it is only being aired like in a week or so, but I'll stil watch it. Just for the fun of it!!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:00 AM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

It is sad about Viggo not winning (It's not like Eminem needed another award), but this is cool because it is a really fun awards show to watch and LOTR always gets what it deserves.<BR>Oh and another thing, Christopher Lee won for best Fight sequence with Yoda in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. An 81 year old winning an MTV award, that is really cool and out of the ordinary.<BR>Now lets see if LOTR:ROTK can take home the golden popcorn next year (and complete the sweep!)
Old 06-02-2003, 12:34 AM   #13
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It is sad about Viggo not winning (It's not like Eminem needed another award) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hey hey hey, that part's all opinion... Just kidding, it is too bad that Viggo didn't win, maybe next year?<P>~Menelien
Old 06-02-2003, 01:36 AM   #14
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah woo hoo! Go TTT!! Yeah definitely about time they won best film! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Pretty good for a film based on a book written by a man who never owned a TV <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Lol!<p>[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 06-02-2003, 02:52 AM   #15
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Ah, Birdie. Sadly, this does nothing to improve my regard for the MTV Awards.<P>Although it is good to see recognition for Anthony Serkis' work.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:18 AM   #16
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Ahhh, Bethberry, I kinda like the MTV Awards, (compared to the rest of MTV, which just gives me a headache these days.) It gets back to the basics of moviemaking, and what makes them so loved by us "masses". <P>Kinda like if you asked the Groundlings to vote on the "best bits" in Shakespeare's works. "Great fight scenes!" "Great love scenes!" "Great special effects! (Didn't you just <I>love</I> that bear?)"
Old 06-02-2003, 03:33 AM   #17
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

But my dear Birdie. My point exactly. There ain't no great fight scenes in TTT. No great love scenes either. I would dearly love either.<P>Best stage direction in Shakespeare: "Exit stage left. Followed by a bear."<p>[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: Bêthberry ]
Old 06-02-2003, 07:27 AM   #18
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Blame it only on the league of LoTR <I>movie</I> fans, who were tired of seeing fantasy films given the snub by the more respectable award ceremonies. They voted Helm's Deep as best "action" scene. That's their story, and they're stickin' to it. <P>Cyber-democracy in action.<p>[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 06-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #19
Sparks

its about time lotr won best movie!!!!!<BR>i hated the oscrs and the golden globes they gave evrything to chicago and i hated that mocie i don't see its point!!!!! <P>anyway i loved lotr and yes i voted for it at mtv.com and at teen people for their awards you should go vote i mean lotr really disevres all the awards that exist!!!!!
Old 06-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #20
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Goody. By the way, it's ANDY Serkis; not Anthony Serkis.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:00 PM   #21
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>By the way, it's ANDY Serkis; not Anthony Serkis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Whoops! Must have been thinking of Tony "Soprano" Serkis; the Sicilian Hobbit.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:39 PM   #22
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Hehe i thought Anthony Serkis sounded a little odd <P>Im very glad TTT won so many awards! I voted like 10 times lol<BR>But why would they announce the winners before the ceremony? I thought itd be better if it was a suprsise! Well im just happy they won

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:52 PM   #23
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
1420!

Viggo'll have a bigger chance of getting the award in the next movie...and so will LotR for best film. How can you get nominated three times in a row and NOT win? that would be really annoying.<P>And not that i would make this a swooning thread at this point, but my friend is a newspaper correspondent and she got the job to do the MTV awards. And how sweet can a few seats away from Elijah would be? She was able to get a few shots...and to fall in love with Elijah's eyes. My friend and i may agree to share a crush on Elijah. And i may have a Tolkien pal i can actually TALK to---even if it's online
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:37 AM   #24
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Blame it only on the league of LoTR movie fans, who were tired of seeing fantasy films given the snub by the more respectable award ceremonies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why Birdie, surely you are not implying that the Academy Awards are any more respectable than the MTV awards? <P>You're right, of course. The more alternatives to 'tony' awards and reviews, the better (not to sniff at the 'Tonies').<P>And ditto comedies receiving short shrift also.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:19 PM   #25
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> *goes off on a Chicago-bashing spree*<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*Gets offended* 'Scuse me? I loved Chicago. I saw it as many times as I saw TTT.<P>And yes, MTV Movie Awards is all about people voting. I did my part and voted for The Two Towers a few times.<P>But it will be priceless just to see Sean William Scott and Justin Timberlake try to share a stage. Their self-esteem is so big, it'll pull the stage down. And I'll laugh the whole way.<P>And, if you remember, last year Orlando Bloom (somewhat undeservedly) won "Best Breakthrough Male Performance" on the MTV Movie Awards, so we <I>do</I> get recognition!
Old 06-05-2003, 08:44 PM   #26
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

OK, if "Gollum" didn't get an award for his "performance" in T.T., then he definitely deserved one for that acceptance speech. I'm stilling rolling over that one. <P>Please, please, I hope it's on the extended version!
Old 06-05-2003, 09:58 PM   #27
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I haven't posted in quite a while, but when I was watching the MTV awards, and LOTR won, I thought-- "The 'Downs will be abuzz tonight!" Good for LOTR! I about died laughing at the Gollum bit when he won Best Virtual Performance.... and Viggo and Bernard's bit against Peter Jackson! It's cool that they have a sense of humor about what they do...
Old 06-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #28
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I just watched the awards right now, though I started somewhere in the middle... I hate the MTV movie awards even though they let LotR win, and even though the Oscars barely gave TTT recognition, I enjoyed them far more. Or rather, I enjoyed the MTV ones far less. <P>It's great that Elijah, Sam, and Andy won best team, though Sean dissappointed me a bit. Gollum certainly deserved the award he got, and I loved the little video clip there... as for best movie, I think I need to copy Keanu Reeves here: "Whoa." They deserved it! (I think the runner up should be 8 Mile...) It seemed like PJ was a nice guy, though the scene was a bit corny.<P>I'm not sure whether Viggo should have gotten Best Actor or not. I loved his acting, but I still think that Eminem deserved the award as well. Viggo certainly deserved it over all the other nominees, though...<P>Were there any other things that LotR was nominated for that I missed?<P>~Menelien
Old 06-06-2003, 12:43 AM   #29
Tate Aisling
Pile O'Bones

Tate Aisling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

YEEEEEES!! TTT got an award! *dances* Still...Viggo didn't get an award? =T.T= He really deserves one. He's a really good actor, a mon avis. Say...Did Elijah Wood get an award?
Tate Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:54 AM   #30
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Elijah Wood, other than the award for the whole movie, got a joint award with Andy Serkis and Sean Astin for Best Team.<P>~Menelien
Old 06-06-2003, 02:29 AM   #31
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Sorry about the Chicago bashing (I did my part on that)...I loved Chicago, but I just think that there would have been a better winner. On the other hand, the movie's pretty good for entertainment, which provides escapism from the escapism of fantasy, IMHO.<P>Finally saw the Elijah-Sean pic. It wasn't one of my friend's best shots, but it'll do. Will try to get to post it here.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #32
Tate Aisling
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Wheee! Elijah Wood got an award! *dances 'Happy Dance'* So...I assume some of you saw Chicago. Tell me, was it any good? I never really got a chance to see it. =>.>=;;
Old 06-07-2003, 06:31 PM   #33
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

That would be leaving LotR topics, which isn't allowed... but I'll just say in general it's an okay movie, a bit above average. My opinion.<BR>After a lot of careful weighing, I've decided that it's okay that Viggo didn't win Best Actor... he was still good, it's just that I thought Eminem's character in 8 Mile was more complex.<P>~Menelien
Old 06-09-2003, 07:48 AM   #34
Tate Aisling
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Oops, didn't mean to sidetrack from LotR...Don't smite me! *cowers* Anyways...Yeah, it's okay Viggo didn't win an award. I mean, there are always gonna be people who don't like the way he acts or just his roles in general. There's always next time, though. =^.^= Always time to win those people who don't like him over to his side. He's a really dedicated actor, from everything I've heard about him, so he can probably do it. According to a show I watched about the making of LotR: FotR, during the scene when those Morokai, or however you spell it, attacked and Frodo ran off, one of Viggo's teeth got knocked out. He just picked it up, stuffed it back in and continued filming. But then again, you all probably knew that, didn't you? =^.^=;; I personally don't think I could've done that. Ow! *shudders*
Old 06-09-2003, 08:29 AM   #35
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Sad that Viggo didn't win the prize for best actor......He deseved it, he is really good, that's my opinion. I'm not a viggo fan or anything, I only think he is a very good actor in LOTR..<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Best Action Sequence (Helm's Deep)<BR>Best Virtual Performance (Anthony Serkis)<BR>Best On-Screen Team (Sean Astin, Elijah Wood, and "Gollum")<BR>and...Best Film!<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #36
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

This is going a bit off topic, but I, at least, think that, though Viggo is a great actor, Eminem deserved it more, just because his character in 8 Mile was far more many-sided. Of course, Aragorn in the book was many-sided, but you can't really shine all of that through in a film.<P>~Menelien
Old 06-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #37
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I don't know how many people actually saw these awards(I did) but it was just hilarious.<BR>Justin Timberlake and whatsisface from American pie were the hosts.<BR>Elijah Wood was there, so was Billy Boyd and Sean Astin.<BR>My favorite was when Peter Jackson was accepting the award(pretaped) for best battle and he was dissing Viggo and Theoden(I don't remember the actor's name) and then they come up.<BR>"This is when we draw swords together." Viggo says, "Let's slash the bastard." Or something like that. Oh it was great.<P>Then the whole thing with Andy Serkis winning and Gollum coming out and swearing at everyone(they were beeping him)<P>It may not be as classy, but I loved these awards much better than the oscars.<BR>-Bye,<BR>Ainaserkewen
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #38
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I saw the awards. As I earlier said, I wouldn't agree... I hated them. I found them really stupid. (Just my opinion- no offence, please ) I mean, something must be wrong when I'm enjoying the Enter the Matrix commercials in the breaks far more than the awards themselves... <P>~Menelien
Old 06-09-2003, 09:15 PM   #39
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I thought this years awards were not as good as last years (which LOTR won multiple awards that year too) because last years had much more funnier skits (the Council of Elrond one was brilliant) and they also had much better musical acts. I still thought it was okay though just because LOTR won a lot of awards, though I thought that the Gollum bit was not as good as I thought it would be.<P>Oh and Galadriel, I am personally not a Eminem fan, but that does not mean I don't like him. It is just that he has gotten many awards this year (Grammys, Oscar...), and he did win the MTV award for best breakthrough actor. You should have seen me when he won the Oscar, I thought that was so cool, I just wish he would have been there.<p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 06-10-2003, 12:22 AM   #40
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
yay!!!im so happy that we won so many awards at the MTV Movie Awards!!!we so deserved them!!!