The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2003, 05:49 PM   #1
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe What do you think is the most important thing that PJ should do well in RotK?

The question is pretty much self-explainitory: I thought I’d just ask it because I’d like to know some peoples’ opinions. I, myself, think that there are too many important ones too say which one is ”most important”, but if I had to choose one, I guess I’d say the Grey Havens. PJ said, in a recent interview, that he thought that he had done them well, so I hope he’s right.<P>~Menelien<p>[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-05-2003, 05:56 PM   #2
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I think the scouring of the shire and the gray heavens should be part of the movie
Old 05-05-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say that the Grey Havens is a pretty important thing that he should explain!<P>I also think that he should show how important Aragorn actually is and how much authority he posses.<P>I think that it is sad that they haven't explained the signifigance of the White Tree! I think that he should focus on that a little.<P> Of course I could think of a million things that he could (and better) explain and portray! Neat thread!<BR> <I>~(~<~></I>Yavanna Kementari
Old 05-05-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Grey Havens. Undoubtedly.<P>H.C.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Hooray! HC agrees <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think the scouring of the shire and the gray heavens should be part of the movie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The Grey Havens will be a part of the movie. Not the Scouring, though. I think that also the burning of Denethor should be done perfectly, and the romance between Eowyn and Faramir shouldn't be overdone, like the one between Arwen and Eowyn. The confrontation between the Witch-King and Eowyn and Merry also. Alright, if I keep going like this, I'll name every scene, so I'll shut up now. <P>~Menelien<P>Edit: As for the White Trees, I would certainly like that in the movie, but, realistically speaking, it won't be. Non Tolkien addicts wouldn't get it and we'd be constantly annoyed by questions like: "What was that weird tree thing all about?"<P>[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]<P>Edit 2: I meant the romance between Aragorn and Arwen. <p>[ May 06, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-05-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I throw my vote out for the Paths of the Dead. To me, thats probably what shows Aragorn's true authority as the Heir of Isildur-how he is calling people back from the past to fulfill their oath. Do you think they'll look like zombies?
Old 05-05-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I hope they don't I think they should be more-or-less just slightly greenish spectral... things. <P>~Menelien
Old 05-05-2003, 07:13 PM   #8
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

Grey Havens all the way<P>then How the ring was distroyed,Faramier and Eowyn(one of favorite parts of the book), and the Aragorn &Arwen stuff with Elrond and the white tree, and the fellowships last goodbyes, dangit forgot the whichking sence<p>[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:16 PM   #9
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> then How the ring was distroyed, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1. Wow, I totally forgot about the part that is, in essence, the most important part of the Lord of the Rings! And I want the goodbye between Elrond and Arwen to be touching but not overly sentimental.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-05-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Probably the scene I'm most concerned about being done right is Eowyn and Merry's part with the Witchking. Just hoping they don't pull something like they did with the Fords of Bruinien. Looking foward to the Grey Havens as well. *sighs* Most of the scenes I'm looking foward to, I'm also dreading. They'll be so horribly emotional

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:25 PM   #11
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and the romance between Eowyn and Faramir shouldn't be overdone, like the one between Arwen and Eowyn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Might I ask as to which romance between Arwen and Eowyn we are referring too.<P>As for my feelings on the issue at hand. I think one thing that has not been mentioned is the scene at Shelob's lair. Where Sam would have given his own life just to save Frodo's. Then the amount of bravery he shows by trying to press on without the one thing that kept him going the whole time his Frodo.<P>I am sure this has been mentioned a thousand times, but I just think that when they leave out The scouring of the shire, they will have to make a new ending for Saruman. What about the non reader they will think the whole time that they know the truth, and one day we readers will have to bust the truth on them, and it will just kill them. <P><I>Was that to dramatic?</I>
Old 05-05-2003, 09:40 PM   #12
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen and Eowyn romance! ooooooh! Shelob and Sam's reaction, Deneathor and Farmir. I wonder if they will get into the Farmir and Gandalf relationship...probably not. Gollum at the Crack of Doom, Saruman's demise, Eowyn and the witch king, Aragorn fulfilling his destiny. I also wonder if they will have Merry and Pippen become the squires of Rohan and Gondor. Houses of healing????will it be there? Of course, the Grey Havens.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:07 PM   #13
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*The Paths of the Dead.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think they should be more-or-less just slightly greenish spectral... things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><B>(Maybe they will look like Barrow Wights?)</B><BR> <BR>*Portraying the courage and sadness of Sam in pressing on when he thinks Frodo is dead. <BR>*A delicate touch on the Faramir/Eowyn romance. <BR>*Aragorn's healing of Merry, Eowyn & Faramir.<BR>*Eowyn & Merry destroying the Witch King.<BR>*Pippin & Gandalf saving Faramir from Denethor.<BR>*Sam's rescue of Frodo from the tower of Cirith Ungol (will Frodo <B>really</B> be naked?).<BR>*Aragorn's arrival at the Pelennor Fields in the ships and meeting Eomer on the battlefield.<BR>*The last day on Mount Doom where Frodo is too weak to walk and tries to crawl up the mountain, and is then carried by Sam.<BR>*Gollum biting off the ring (and Frodo's finger) and falling into the Cracks of Doom.<BR>*The rescue of Sam & Frodo by Gandalf, Gwahir, Landroval & Meneldor.<BR>*The crowning of Aragorn.<BR>*The parting of Arwen & Elrond.<BR>*The Grey Havens.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:00 AM   #14
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The wedding of Arwen and Aragorn, and the Grey havens... The emotional bits... Also.. The plennor Fields..

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:44 AM   #15
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that he should really be careful with the battles of Pellanor fields and the Black gate. For one, this is supposed to be the start of the world of men and Elves don't belong in the battles except Legolas. I hope Arwen is far from Minas Tirith during the fighting.<P>Also I would like to see the scene with Gollum looking over Sam and Frodo on the path to Cirith Ungol and regretting what he was about to do. I think that is really important to his character.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:21 AM   #16
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The redemption of Faramir would top my list <P>Seriously...I think the whole tension about the destruction of the ring should be done well. This started out as a hobbit's story and has grown to include so much more. Symbolic scenes like where Sam and Frodo throw away their packs and the climb up the mountain bring us back to the hobbit's role in all of this. There comes a point where they KNOW this is now a one-way trip and if handled well, it will be a very emotional part in the movie.
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:58 AM   #17
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Might I ask as to which romance between Arwen and Eowyn we are referring too.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Lol, you know what I meant <P>~Menelien<P>But that was an interesting typo...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #18
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Lol, you know what I meant <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I suppose I did. I just could not resist.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:24 AM   #19
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Lol, I know what you mean. <P>Also the death of Saruman, thought I barely doubt that PJ won't screw that one up.<P>~Menelien<p>[ May 06, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #20
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If what I've seen so far is correct, Saruman's death isn't too bad.<P>What do you think is the most important thing that PJ should do well in RotK?<P>Denethor.<P>And the Grey Havens, I suppose. And if he's including the crowning of Aragorn, I trust him entirely on the matter. He will get it right. (Or else... )
Old 05-06-2003, 01:07 PM   #21
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If what I've seen so far is correct, Saruman's death isn't too bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>What have you seen? I've seen a shot of Wormtongue drawing a dagger on the top of Orthanc and Saruman skewered on the spike of a giant wheel, which some folks claim is a red herring that was thrown out there.<P>H.C.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:11 PM   #22
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I have seen...<P>*wipes a fleck of dust off her palantir and stares into it some more*
Old 05-06-2003, 02:01 PM   #23
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The Shelob fight scene! Go Sam! Don't <I>mess</I> with MY scene, PJ! <BR>Seriously, I am really looking forward to that. Yet I'm scared that it might corrupt what I envision it as.<BR>And Pippin and the palantir, too. It'd be a good place to scare him into responsibility, so he'll realize finally what he's into.<BR>And give him something to reflect on while in Gondor. <BR>Hmm...

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:55 PM   #24
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>(will Frodo really be naked?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> I hope not.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The Shelob fight scene! Go Sam! Don't mess with <I>MY</I> scene, PJ!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Right on, Oddwen!!! PJ <I>so</I> better do Shelob right!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:33 PM   #25
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I've seen a shot of Wormtongue drawing a dagger on the top of Orthanc and Saruman skewered on the spike of a giant wheel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Where'd you see that? <P>~Menelien
Old 05-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #26
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I agree with Shy Hobbit and Faramir Fan. <BR>The Eowyn and Witchking scene has to be done right! It is one of my favorite parts of the book.<BR>And I really hope Faramir will be better than in TTT...that was disppointing. <P>Im lookin forward to the Pyre of Denethor too. I hope that will be done right and not be really cheesy.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:14 PM   #27
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Herm, well, PJ should do all of the scenes well. But I think he especially handle Aragorn turning from this 'I don't wanna be the king' ranger into the Elessar Telcontar we know from the books. The houses of healing, the battle of Pellenor fields (specially the slaying of the witch king), his crowning all should be superb. <P>Also Denethor, Eowyn and Faramir's love, Mount Doom, the gray heavens, Merry and Pippen turning from semi-comic relief into squires of Gondor and Rohan (and hopefully PJ will NOT do that by giving all of jokes to Gimli), and ahh I'll name every part of the book if I keep going.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:43 PM   #28
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just hope that the film is not too cheesy.<BR>I have absolute faith that the actual fight between Shelob and Sam will be spectacular because all the other fights (like the Balrog) were all very well done. But, yes, I am actually kind of worried about how they handle the emotional part when Sam and Frodo, these were some of my favorite parts of the book.<P>I also hope the departure from Middle Earth to the Grey Havens in very emotional. I will be greatly dissapointed if I <B>don't</B> cry during that part.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:55 PM   #29
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And I really hope Faramir will be better than in TTT...that was disppointing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, don't start on that topic, too many opinions. I liked Faramir...<P>~Menelien
Old 05-07-2003, 06:42 AM   #30
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I suddenly realised that in amongst all these spiders and havens and love stories and super evil dudes called Faramir, there is some guy called Theoden, who dies and proclaims his nephew to be king. That is now the most important part of the movies for me.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:50 AM   #31
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

One favourite bit of mine, which I feel fairly confident *will* be done well, is the Ride of the Rohirrim. <BR>Other favourites: Eowyn and the Witch King - I'm a bit anxious about this as I thought Eowyn too girlie in the movie TT. <BR>Houses of Healing I'm pretty sure they will screw this up if they keep it in. It will be too Hollywood.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:34 AM   #32
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Where'd you see that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Go <A HREF="http://www.kojiroabe.com/rotk/rotk01.html" TARGET=_blank>here</A> and scroll down.<P>H.C.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #33
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Heehee, those're cool pictures! I couldn't see the one of the Eye, though! It does say that it's of when Pip looks in the palantir, so that's good. That's another scene that I hope PJ does right!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #34
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>SPOILER ALERT--PICTURE FROM ROTK!!</B><P>The most important thing for them to get right is this:<P>|<BR>|<BR>|<BR>V<P> <P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 05-11-2003, 12:15 AM   #35
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

John Rhys-Davies seems to think that Sean Astin will recieve an academy nomination for his role as Sam in ROTK... I sure hope he is right.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #36
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I don't think that it's the Paths of the Dead that needs all of the attention as some of you guys have mentioned as much as the entrance of Aragorn and the shadow armies onto the pelennor battle fields. For me, this was one of the most climactic parts of the story, and if done right could not only show the power and authority Aragorn possesses, but also the importance of the legacy of men "saving the day" so to speak for middle earth. When Elrond said "it is men we must now turn to" (or something of the sort) in the Fellowship of the Ring, this was the first image that popped into my mind.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:09 PM   #37
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

He has to has to has to include Merry helping to kill the Witch King and Pippin "growing up" in Gondor. That is so important and if they don't have it I think I may cry for ALL THE WRONG REASONS this time. Faramir and Eowyn they have to do well, but I doubt romance will be a big problem. They'lll probably all breathe a sigh of relief that this is one thing film makers can usually manage OK. I think they'll manage the Grey Havens OK, they seem to do Elvish things like Rivendell and Lorien well. The Paths of the Dead could easily look really stupid. Doing it from Gimli's POV would be good, as it effects him most, I'd say
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:36 PM   #38
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

The seige of Gondor and the battle of the Pellenor fields are the key points.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #39
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

My opinion, as of now, (it changes fast), is that two things are the most important in the movie, as they are in great danger of going all Hollywood: the Grey Havens, and the part in the way beginning, a picture of which Orual posted. That especially, as there is a great chance that it will be done all sobby and/or oh-I’ve-failed!-I’m-done... Sean better be good.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #40
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I highly agree with Orual! The Frodo and Sam moments are what really needs to be there for me. The heartbreak when Sam decides to continue the journey alone... the part where the orcs think they are being followed by an Elven Warrior... Sam's reluctance to give the ring back to Frodo... there's already been spoilers about where Sam carries Frodo... just so many many more moments!<P>And here are some other things I would love to see kept in:<P>~Merry and Pippin's meeting in Minas Tirith, where Merry says, "are you here to bury me"<BR>~A great struggle between Denethor, Gandalf, and Pippin when Denethor is trying to take Faramir with him<BR>~The Uruk-hai catapulting the heads of the dead into the courts of Minas Tirith<BR>~Theoden telling Eomer to tell Eowyn goodbye, not realizing that she lay dying beside him<BR>~I also wish for a prologue that follows the characters' journey's into the Appendixes of the books<P>And one last thing... when the troll falls on Pippin I just hope it doesn't look exactly the same as when Pippin was almost trampled in TTT.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote