The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2002, 06:25 PM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Would you like to see PJ or someone else try the Silmarillion and 'The Hobbit' ?

well hmm? <P>we have seen what he has done with 1 and 3/4 of the Trilogy, is there someone out there more sympathetic?<P>Perhaps let Ian McKellan produce it.<P>And keep PJ's team [ especially Howe and Lee!]<P>I would especcially like to see JRRT's wish of a more LotR [matured] Hobbit as opposed to a children's story.<P>Heck you could even have Legolas leading an Elf brigade and thus guarantee success!<P>As for the Silm, man it would be tough and would need a couple of films, you could end #1 it with men sailing off to numenor, #2 could start with the Three Rings being made and Aldarion and Erendis into the War of Elves and Sauron and then the Atalante', anding with the Last Alliance [ which of course is not the last anymore with our new Helm's Deep!]<BR> <P><BR>ps M. Sulimo's enthusiasm was to a much shorter post originally.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Two words:<P>Hell yes!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Ditto here.<P>The Sil would be a high-budget film considering the number of actors and all, but it's possible!!!!!!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:19 PM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nah, you couldn't do the whole Silm, it would be a disaster on the level of the film version of <I>The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire</I>. Perhaps you could select a story from the Silm, but if people are going to complain about the changes in LoTR, think what they would do to the film maker who tried to flesh out the somewhat one-dimentional gods and Elves of the Silm? <P>As for the Hobbit: New Line owns the rights I believe, but P.J. stated that he would love to see a film made of the book - just so long as his only involvement was paying $7.50 for a ticket.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:25 PM   #5
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
not at all.PJ has done a good job
________
Universal health

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:32 PM   #6
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Yes and no. No because I'd like to have these two books unscathed by hollywood. I'd like to keep my visions and not be affected by someone elses.<P>Yes but if it were PJ, it would have to be <B>EXACTLY</B> like the books. I don't want any more if his vision crap. I have lost a lot of respect for him since TTT.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:04 PM   #7
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

PJ's original idea was to do Hobbit. <P>I was wondering the same - would they go back to do Hobbit? I'd LOVE to see it, but I'd be totally okay if they didn't.<P>I don't want to see the Sim brought to the screen. I don't see it working. And I'm a HUGE fan of the LOTR films thus far - but I think they'd ruin the sim.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:01 AM   #8
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

I would really love to see a Hobbit movie<BR>(it was my favorite book) but I think that<BR>the Silmarilion would suck as a movie...<P>If they do a movie according to the Hobbit,<BR>They'll have to find a new actor for Bilbo,<BR>Ian Holm (Sir Ian ?!?) is too old to play<BR>Bilbo in the Hobbit...
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:19 AM   #9
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dűm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my view there are only two stories in the Silmarillion (meaning first-age) that might possibly make good films on their own, and those would be 'Beren and Luthien' and the 'Narn i Hin Hurin'. None of the other stories go into enough depth or detail, although perhaps a case could be made for the original Fall of Gondolin from Lost Tales. But I don't think either of these would be at all attractive to movie-makers, set as they are in a huge and complex historical background. Also, the Narn especially has a rather tragic and bitter ending which is, of course, absolutely crucial to the story.<P>I personally wouldn't want to see either of these made into movies. No matter how good the translation from paper to screen, it just wouldn't be the same.<P>As to the entire Silmarillion, I just don't think it's suitable for a movie. There are too many characters, too many places, too many events. Very few of the characters make it through to the end. The plot would have to be drastically cut and altered, dropping a whole legion of characters and concentrating instead on the ones with the more important parts. But then it wouldn't really be the Silmarillion at all.<P>On the other hand, I think The Hobbit, done properly, would make an excellent movie - although there might be rather too many Dwarves for Hollywood's taste.<p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Voronwe ]
Old 12-20-2002, 07:58 AM   #10
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only director I could possibly imagine to do the "hobbit's moive" well would be PJ. George Lucas or Steven Spielberg (as suggested by Time Warner) would totally ruin it to the worst hollywood-adventure-film you could imagine.<P>I think it will be hard to get Gandalf to do his role again, though. And they just can't use another actor. That includes Bilbo too. And there's another problem. They are both older now, especially Bilbo is a bit old to play himself as young. Not to mention Elrond (who I think looked suspiciously old for an elf in the movies we seen already), Galadriel, Celeborn and so on.<P>A hard project so to say...<p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Maeglin ]
Old 12-20-2002, 07:58 AM   #11
Orodreth

Sting

I agree, the Silmarrilion would be too difficult to produce, and would be fairly untrue to the book if it was. On the other hand, the Hobbit would be amazing. I hope Jackson decides to make it before someone with a lot less knowledge and love for the book trys to come along and film it just for the profit.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:04 AM   #12
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Nah, you couldn't do the whole Silm, it would be a disaster <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>Birdie</B>, it could work, I think, if a basic storyline was made, say stick to Fëanor's family the most. It would leave out some of the stories, yes, but all in all, the story of the Silmarils begins and ends with Fëanor and his sons.<P>Still, however, I believe that only fans of the book would want to see a movie based on the Silm. LOTR has been able to reach for a broader audience but I'm afraid that the Silm. is too.... "compact" for that. <BR>I have heard a lot of people tell, how they didn't understand anything of the Silm. the first time they read the book. More people would understand it if they could see it on film, but still not enough, I fear.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:05 AM   #13
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

About the Silmarillion! Oufcorse there could be a movie! And severel of them. I can't get that you all are even concidering making a movie of the hole book. Just pick out a chapter or two and make a movie of it! It would be great. Imagine this title "Silmarillion - Maeglin's Tale" or "Silmarillion - The fall of Beleriand" or perhaps "Sillmarillion - The War of the Wrath". lol.<P>Or why don't you make an hobbit adventure-movie, based on one of the stories you hear in the beginning of LOTR. <p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Maeglin ]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:13 AM   #14
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I would love to see The Hobbit as a movie! Not only could they make a ton of money from it, it would help non-Tolkienites understand st least a little background for The Lord of the Rings. And Smaug! *faints*<P>*gets back up * Even though I haven't read the Silmarillion (yet!), I definitely say no to a movie on it. We Tolkienites would be way more disappointed with the turn out than some of us are with The Lord of the Rings! Many of the people going to see the movie would definitely not understand most of the story, and I think it would be very hard to show certain things, such as the creation of the world out of nothing using song. The Silmarillion seems to be more of an imagination book than a movie book, if you understand my meaning. If they did try to make it (which I doubt), there is a very good chance it will be a flop.<P>Summary: <BR>The Hobbit, YES!<BR>The Silmarillion, NO WAY!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #15
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Sting

I agree with TolkenGurl. I believe The Hobbit needs another shot. Espically after that *cough* crappy *cough* version. But no, I don't think the simirillion could be done as a movie correctly. I am a firm believer that some things just werent meant to be changed from one medium to another. The Simirillion is one. Of course, that is just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:23 AM   #16
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As for a Film Hobbit, Ian Holm's role would be hard to recast. They likely need a new actor, although the whole thing of him being somewhat youngish in the Film-FoTR Prologue (which is true) but then aging later is not quite right. Once acquiring the Ring his appearance is not supposed to have aged one Iota. This of course would have been too much trouble to explain, and Movie tries to imply that he looks nowhere as old as he should for a Hobbit of 111. On the other hand they really wanted Ian Holm for the part, and it's a good choice even if they must go with a somewhate aged Bilbo. Where as Elijah Woods look is fine, even if his personality in Film-FoTR was still too child-like. He's supposed to look like a 33-year-old Hobbit, which is about 21 years for a human, and he's supposed to be "fair" for a Hobbit.<P>In any case, it would be hard for Ian Holm to look and act like what would be the equivalent for a human of about late thirtyish for an entirely new film.<P>As for Gandalf, I see no problem there. Hugo Weaving is and will remain for some time to be about right. The implications in the books, especially the Hobbit, is that he does not quite look like a pure Elf but rather a Man in his prime, which in that sense might mean mid-to-late thirtyish, or even older in a kingly if not athletic way. What they need to lose is his 5 o'clock shadow!<P>As for the Silmarillion, although multiple movies would make imminent sense, I think those Books provide better fodder for a Motion Picture. In some cases as far as dialogue would go, it would be an original screenplay. The problems of Adaption would be far less, and the scope for totally far-out special effects much broader. That's the work that I think Mr. Jackson was made for, and might have best preceded the current LoTR production.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:31 AM   #17
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Hobbit--yes. Provided it is recreated as faithfully as possible. It is a simpler, stand alone type story, no reason or excuse why it couldn't be done right.<P>The Silmarillion--no. I shudder to think of the butchery one of my favorite books since childhood would undergo. Changes would be inevitable since the Silmarillion does not lend itself to a movie style story line. Now maybe a made for DVD collection of the stories in the Sil. as individuals with as little editorial alteration as possible....that I would like to see.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:14 AM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In any case, it would be hard for Ian Holm to look and act like what would be the equivalent for a human of about late thirtyish for an entirely new film.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought Bilbo ws 50 or so at the begining of the Hobbit.<P><BR>you may well be right about a Silmarillion series instead of movie.<P>I would also only want it done if it was to the letter [ of our groups project of course ]<P>PJ 'ish 'adaptations would be worse than nothing I think.<P>But imagine the grandenesws of Valinor done right! or the Silmarills or the 2 lamps and 2 trees! <P>It could potentially blow the LotR away.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:40 PM   #19
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lindil- I think Man of the World was talking in human equivalents. <BR> I do think the Hobbit would make a good movie, but only if it was done by PJ or somone with as much respect of Tolkien's works as he. You could even bring in Legolas and give him a small part during the time they are at the Thrandul's halls. (He is, after all, Legolas' father)<BR> Silmarillion- I don't know. It would be hard, because even if only one story was done it would be difficult to explain things that had gone on before. <BR> Namarie