The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Father Christmas Letters: 1943

This is the last Father Christmas letter that Tolkien wrote. (In the course of my internet research, I did find newer letters that parents have written to their children in Tolkien's tradition!) It is a relatively brief letter, fortunately accompanied by one last beautiful picture:

It's possible that Tolkien copied this astronomical painting from a book or other image, though I'm not certain the stars are realistically distributed. I don't recognize any constellations, at any rate.

The finality of this letter is made clear in the choice of words:
Quote:
I suppose you will be hanging up your stocking just once more...
After this I shall have to say "goodbye", more or less: I mean, I shall not forget you. We always keep the old numbers of our old friends, and their letters; and later on we hope to come back when they are grown up and have houses of their own and children.
In Priscilla's case at least, those words were not prophetic, as she does not have a family of her own.

The brief reference to the war calls the situation "grim".

Polar Bear writes only half a line, claiming to be too tired.

In parting, FC once again sends his love to Priscilla's brothers and pets and refers to her presents - "nearly all the books you asked for." But 'Cats' Tongues' are not available - I assume that's a kind of chocolate, at least that's what it is here.

Thanks to those of you who contributed to these discussions, as well as to those who read the posts with interest even without having the book! I've enjoyed this holiday excursion. We will be getting back to discussion of the Unfinished Tales soon, and after that - The Hobbit!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote