The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What ifs . . . The Grey Company

I really hate what ifs, but as I watched the Elrond and Galadriel sequences in the films I came to a remarkably brilliant, and altogether futile and much too late idea. <P>Helm's Deep; just before the storm breaks on the fortress of the Hammerhand. . .<P>"IT'S A BIT TIGHT AROUND THE CHEST!"<BR>Aragorn and Legolas smile, Gimli's stature is yet again a source of humor in a grim situation, and he seems to know it and not mind at all. Suddenly, from outside the gates a horn blows loud and clear, cutting the air of the ravine like some elvish instrument.<BR>"That is no orc horn . . ." <P>But instead of a slightly altered militaristic marching music based upon that of Lothlorien, we hear a slightly altered militaristic marching music based on that of Rivendell, and a well ordered troop clad in grey cloaks, clasped at the shoulder with a rayed star marches without sound into the Hornburg. Men of the Rohirrim look at them, and grin - support has come, suddenly appearing in the night. At the head of the warriors, two of the company are in armor (not unlike that Haldir wore in the theatrical cut, if not quite as flashy), Aragorn walks out to find the leader of the band of elf-clad warriors announce to Theoden-King; "We bring you a message; We are looking for one Aragorn Dunadan, we bring message from Elrond of Rivendell." Aragorn rushes out, hugs the captain, because instead of Haldir, Craig Parker (or someone else) portrays Halbarad. "Look Gimli, do you not see Elrond's sons - their gear is less sombre than that of the rangers." "Aye, but I still have to get into that shirt of mail."<P>Instead of a whole lot of elves at Helm's Deep, who came out of Lothlorien with a message from Rivendell, weird as that is; we would have the Grey Company. They could shoot some arrows, fight with long weapons (they packed spears) and a good chunk of them could have gotten picked off so there were only the thirty to go with Aragorn, and still it would have made the films infinitely better. <P>Meanwhile, even if nothing else was changed regarding Elrond bringing the sword reforged to Dunharrow, and speaking the words of the Seer, he could have given Aragorn the blade and Elladan and Elrohir could have been there too, or not, but it would have rocked then because the Grey Company would be established from The Two Towers and not just sprung in the middle of Return of the King on us, we'd know they were with Aragorn, and remember they were 'rangers' like Barliman talked about and when the Black Ships of Umbar sailed up and Aragorn and Legolas and Gimli jumped out of one boat, three Grey Companions could have leapt from the other boats, and then the dead could have come and it still would have been ten times better. <P>I love Return of the King and how it turned out, it's my favorite movie ever. But I pined when I heard the Grey Company was removed, and since we all rued the elves at Helm's Deep, I figured the greatest idea ever would be to kill two birds with one stone and do what I mentioned above. The guys wouldn't even need many lines, just enough to know that they will grimly and silently follow Aragorn to "whatever end". Heck, Halbarad could take Haldir's place and die at Helm's Deep, and see bodies and the horror of war.<P>I hate what ifs, but since I found one that pretty much made me hyperventilate for a few hours, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it and see if anybody else would get shivers down their spine. Sorry to rub salt in the wounds.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually, I think that's an incredible idea! This is the first "What if..." that I've seen that actually makes sense and could work. <P>I agree that the addition of the Grey Company would have added so much more to the movie, even if the addition was just pure drama. Picture it, especially in the Black Fleet. Instead of just Aragorn leaping over the edge, we'd have Ranger after Ranger following their Chieftain into battle after him, along with, of course, Legolas and Gimli. It would be so much more dramatic.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I definatly agree. It really made me mad to see the Grey Company taken out.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I liked the elves at Helms Deep but many others have come up with cheesy ideas to change it but your's is the best I have heard so far. As long as Elladan and Elrohir were in there I wouldn't mind not having the rest of the elves.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I hated the Elves at Helm's Deep and was incredibly upset when they took out the Rangers of the North. That is an awesome idea and I wish that they had thought of it. It wouldn't have changed the plot too much either, only slightly and it wouldn't have been hard. That would be pretty cool. And hey, if Elladan and Elrohir bring Anduril you don't have to have Elrond come and that whole part about Arwen's life being related to the Ring, which I am still trying to figure out.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I too missed the Grey Company, especially on the Paths of the Dead. It would have been following the book at least a tiny bit better to have them at Helm's Deep,and it would indeed have accomplished what was dramatically desired by having the Elves walk in. It would have been grand to see Craig Parker as Halbarad, too; I didn't much like him as Haldir. I suppose they didn't want to introduce more characters; in the directors' commentary to TTT EE, they spoke many times about the difficulty of introducing so many new characters. Sigh.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
james_of_y0rkshire

You seem to have gathered qite a following...
Old 01-29-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quite a following indeed; now if some of them only had incredible CG Effect skills and some costume making experience . . .<P>No seriously, I noticed also that the Rohirrim grinning at Helm's Deep seemed 'boys' compared to the grimness of the elves that showed too.<P>I want to hear Theoden say; "No, Gamling, if they are anything like the Lord Aragorn, they are not too few at all." <P>Didn't PJ mention something about wanting to go back and add more and more, since he can't make 'more' movies? How about an alternate Extended Edition? Ha ha, now we're talking. Then there could be a cut of Fellowship with Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Downs, and Glorfindel (because I still think Glorfy could take the Ford scene back without diminishing Arwen's part one single bit). More on "What if . . . Glorfindel" later.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Now as good as this thread is, it simply would be complete without giving props to one who helped complete the thought... namely me. <P>I was horribly disappointed when they cut Elrodan and Elrohir, so when Keeper suggested the Grey Company showing up, I said "Yeah, Aragorn could pull a "My brothers... Lord Theoden, these are the Dunedain of the North, known as Rangers by some" and then Halbarad could be all like... 'And with us come Elrodan and Elrohir, bringing word from their father Elrond of Rivendell.'" Just think... solving so many problems in one change...:<P>Stop the Elves from freaking out purists<BR>Introduce Elrond's kids <BR>Introduce the Grey Company<BR>Remove needless Haldiric death scene<BR>Explain Aragorn's unmanly hug<BR>Prepare to ship Dunedain to Pathes of Dead<P>As for another 'what if'... What if they had dramatized the Orc/Rider battle at the edge of Fangorn by including Eomer's swordfight with Ugluk? Wouldn't that be awesome? I've always found that part interesting and think it would have made a really cool movie scene.<P>Cheers,<P>Fea