The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
thunder_goddess
Pile O'Bones

thunder_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to thunder_goddess Send a message via AIM to thunder_goddess
Silmaril Silmarillion?????????

I heard a rumor that there was going to be a movie made about the Silmarillion. Personally, i'd think this would be qreat. But mabey it wont happen. Does anyone know for sure?<P>-----------------------------------------<P>"Help me master, I'm drownded." ~ Samwise
thunder_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:26 PM   #2
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that the Tolkein estate has said they will never sell the movie rights to The Silmarillion.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it would cost way too much money, and it woudl be too complicated for non-Tolkien fans to watch, and it would have to spread out over quite a lot of movies. Plus clashes on what charatcers look like. For me, only Keira Knightley can play Finduilas.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

IF they won't sell the rights I must say it is probably for the best.<P>The odds of doing the Silmarillion justice are way less than that for the the LotR.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yep, i think lots of directors would take quite a few 'liberties' with the Silmarillion. More so then LoTR.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Personally, I think it'd be too difficult to make it into a movie anyway. It's such a complicated book and I'm sure that if it were a movie, it'd leave those who had not read the books completely confused. Best to leave The Silmarillion as a book and only a book.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It would be like trying to make an epic film on the Bible, very complicated. Maybe they could do some of the stories though, but I doubt it.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:47 PM   #8
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fall of Gondolin, Narn I Hin Hurin and Beren and Luthein coudl make good movies, along with Unumbered Years.

Old 02-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #9
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

well i guess "Silmarillion the movie" will never be realized, and I'm glad. but perhaps it would be interesting to know how the Valar would be shaped (although they are clearly described in the book).<P>I have said. ( )

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
Sting

I think it could be done as an HBO Miniseries personally...<P>But that's probably a pipe dream, too.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

It's difficult enough to keep track of the chracters when reading the book, with the help of various lineage trees, a map and an index, so how it could be made into anything more than a cult film, I cannot imagine.<P>A similar thread on this topic may be found <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001728" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:17 PM   #12
thunder_goddess
Pile O'Bones

thunder_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to thunder_goddess Send a message via AIM to thunder_goddess
Sting

Thank you. You cleared a lot up. Mabey this will shut my brother's gossiping mouth up.<P>_____________________________________
thunder_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:22 PM   #13
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

where did you here that rumour?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:48 AM   #14
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

it would have to be way longer than a HBO miniseries..if someone would take the time to stick to the book, and make a couple of seasons worth, like a tv show of it..i'd come home every night from work and want to watch it!..the silmarillion show..
Old 02-03-2003, 03:26 AM   #15
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Could never ever in a million years get hollywood to stick to the Silmarillion with out major screw the story up changes,its far to depressing to ever sell to a studio as a high budget film or set of films.Every love story in it ends up sad and every hero dies.The Hobbit could make a great film but never the Silmarillion.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:42 AM   #16
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

eleniwilwarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deathwail: I totally agree with you... There are some books that are never supposed to become a film and this is one of those books...
Old 02-03-2003, 09:18 AM   #17
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

But still, the though of watching Beren and Luthien or seeing Hurin slaying 70 Trolls would be amazing.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #18
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, maybe bot the whole thing as a movie, but parts of it. Like some one said before. But how about other art forms? Doesn't Luthien and Beren just scream for an opera? Too bad all the masters are dead. I personally think Wagner could have turned the Lay of Leithien into something no less grand than The Ring. Puccini and Berlioz would do fine as well. What a shame they are all no longer in this world. I suppose Britten would be fine... Wait a minute, is he alive???
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:24 AM   #19
Dunlondion
Pile O'Bones

Dunlondion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The Simarilion being made into a movie sounds good, but the news from LOTR movie bse wellington, New Zealand( for those of u who dont know the fims were made her and Peter Jackson lives here) Peter jackson will be making another Film altough not on the scale<I>scale</I> of the lord of the rings. It may or may not be tolkien related
Dunlondion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:00 AM   #20
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Ancanar is a film being made by some unknown directors and its set in Middle-Earth, but in some unknown place called Rammoth Valley. I'm not sure if its a small-time kind of film or an actual big-screen one (i think big-screen) but it looks pretty cool, except the elves have short hair. I'll find the link....<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ancanar.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ancanar.com/</A><p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 02-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #21
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Does anyone speak Czechoslovakian? <P>This site has four pictures that are quite well done. It has to be a joke, but I would love it if one of you out there could tell me what is says! <A HREF="http://www.jcsoft.cz/fantasy/viewnews.asp?id=375" TARGET=_blank>Czech article</A>
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:20 PM   #22
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, I do not speak Czech, but those pictures semm... ummm manufactured... y'know not quite real. Luthien looks exactly like an Arwen figurine, and one picture (#6) looks like the figurine on a set rather than an actor. Also the pictures of "Doriath" are perfect replicas of Rivendell, if indeed they are not the same... I think it's all fake.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #23
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think they could make the Simerillian into a movie either.. but some of those stories would be great. I wonder if they would consider doing a sequel to the RotK. I've always wondered what happened after that. I would like to know what happened during Eldarion's(Aragorn's son) reign. That is where all the books stop.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:56 PM   #24
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i heard that PJ had the films rights. i doubt they'll make it, will they? although it would be nice to see
Old 02-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #25
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I also think that the movie "Silmarillion" would be too hard to do and still stay true to the book... <BR>At least it would be too hard in live action, but maybe it could be done well if it were computerized!?!<BR>Another thought would also be to do it as a sort of cartoon-epic miniseries... as long as it were of a better quality than than something like DragonballZ. It would drive me mad to have to watch five episodes to see one blow from Turin's sword.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:16 PM   #26
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Recently I found a quote from Professor T.A. Shippy concerning The Silmarillion:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <I>The Silmarillion</I> could never be anything but hard to read! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I wholeheartedly agree with this, as I am reading the book a third time and still I have trouble keeping the characters straight. <BR>So if the book is that complicated, how in the world can a movie be made about it?<BR>And if it is split up in to several movies, non-Tolkien fans would probably get tired of it.<p>[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: gralin musicteeth ]
Old 02-21-2003, 06:19 AM   #27
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I don't think they could make the Simerillian into a movie either.. but some of those stories would be great. I wonder if they would consider doing a sequel to the RotK. I've always wondered what happened after that. I would like to know what happened during Eldarion's(Aragorn's son) reign. That is where all the books stop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Try 'The New Shadow' HoME 12. Tolkien soon abandoned it, though.