The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #721
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
No, not the designer but a helping hand... or brush, if you will. Great fun really, there were 3 of us artist's there at the time.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #722
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf

I have a new rocker. Well, not really new. It's old. But it's out under my beech trees.

So I can watch the leaves unfold.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #723
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
How does the Beech tree look now?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #724
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
And so Summer in Seattle is much like Winter in Brisbane it seems.

How is everyone here in the TCA2 club?
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #725
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Greetings, Snowdog! All is well... good to see you about.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #726
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Alive and preparing for real life Tolkien activities coming up next month. How my existence has been influenced by not only the books, but also the interaction here that has spilled over into my life!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #727
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Are you from the Northwest, too, Snowdog? My kids are all threatening to move to Phoenix.

Things are normal around here (other than the weather). My garden seems to finished for the year, school starts in a few weeks and my long summer break will be over.

Helen, those day lilies you sent me are beautiful and bloomed for weeks.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #728
Snowdog

Pipe

I spent July & part of August in the Seattle area visiting the folks and kids and grandkids. I've been in Brisbane for a few years now. Summer didn't seem so hot to me even when it was into the 90's! Of course on the other side, I feel cold now if the temp gets less than 50...

Hey Mark Bible Verse, howyagoin'? Was thinking of crashing one of the RP inns, but I never really know whats 'allowed' here on Barrow Downs as far as RP goes. I remember it being rather confusing and strict.

Hi Estelyn! I take it you're going to Oxford? Would like to go sometime myself.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #729
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

Thinking of crashing an inn? Come on down. Here's enough rules to get you started:

Inns are for socializing, trying out characters, and informal stuff; but you MUST stay in character (Tolkien-related character.)

Role Playing games are more than "games". They are collaborative novels under development; they take planning and coordination and commitment. Each RPG has a game "owner" who defines the broad scope. Games are by invitation only.

So- feel free to crash an inn. Stay in character; keep it Tolkien; connect it to earlier posts if you can.

The seventh Star lies dormant so long, it echoes in there and the dust lies thick!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #730
Snowdog

Pipe

Yeah, i remember some of the rules. One reason I pulled out of The Lingering Darkness in the Shire about 6-7 years ago was the whole time limit rule. Then the thread went on for years anyway! I guess the term 'games' rubs me wrong. I call these RPs, as writers or collaborating to make a tale. Anyway... one of my characters from other RPs and tales I've written may stop in for a beer...
Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #731
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

... I miss the old Downs.

Watched Fellowsihp on Monday afternoon... and found myself identifying very closely with an Arwenish part of the movie that is decidedly non-canonical. Egads! Then I was reminded of my decision to treat them as two separate-- but somewhat similar-- myths.

(Down thru the years that decision has been very useful.)

Anyone else have a similar or contrasting tale?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #732
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I'm missing the old Downs as well....

And I don't know when the last time I watched the movies.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #733
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I was enchanted by the visual imagery of the movies when they appeared, and the music worked as well, creating an athmosphere worth experiencing. But already then I was quite critical with the choices the directing team made - and the casting of some central characters etc.

Now I see that te latter were true judgements. I don't feel like going back to those dvd's because as movies they're just the average lousy drama of 21st century. Beautiful at times, touching because of the music at others; but as movies, as drama, as touching characters go... quite insignificant.

On another note from the last fall, I do agree with you that in the old 'Downs the Inn's were places where people crashed into and then stayed to either wander into other RPG's or just to stick there - or then just vanished as soon as they entered if it was not for them.

I have't been following the Golden Perch lately (which I think is this "first level Inn" to pop into to get the hang of it), but I have noted the "traffic" is like one tenth of the times gone by - like when I entered the Green Dragon...

The Scarburg Mead Hall, which should be the "next level" inn is going forwards in bursts, but it seems that mainly the same people attend to it. We had this change of eorlship there and managed to get new writers into there, but it feels at times like an RPG that those not already involved with it just don't dare to enter. Which is sad.

Also, when has there been a new RPG starting the last time? When I joined the 'Downs there were many going on. Or when has an RPG ended as planned? It might even be that the first game I played in (The "Outracing the Flames" by Arry on 2006) was the last game that actually finished as planned...?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #734
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
I guess the term 'games' rubs me wrong. I call these RPs, as writers or collaborating to make a tale.
Great to find a fellow-soul! I've been bothered and kind of annoyed about this "game" thing as well. I mean games are a kind of things, like werewolf, or all that Quizz-room stuff. But writing a story together is not a game in the same sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
Anyway... one of my characters from other RPs and tales I've written may stop in for a beer...
Would one of your characters like to take that beer in the Scarburg Mead Hall?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #735
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Great to find a fellow-soul! I've been bothered and kind of annoyed about this "game" thing as well. I mean games are a kind of things, like werewolf, or all that Quizz-room stuff. But writing a story together is not a game in the same sense.
It might not be a game in the same sense that "monopoly" is a game, but don't glorify it. It is not like you are creating an epic tale or a grand narrative, you are having a laugh and that is basically it. . .

At best it is the level above fan-fiction.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #736
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It might not be a game in the same sense that "monopoly" is a game, but don't glorify it. It is not like you are creating an epic tale or a grand narrative, you are having a laugh and that is basically it. . .

At best it is the level above fan-fiction.
Hmm. There are games (some of which I've played in) which occasionally transcended the above "having a laugh" and approached "epic tale" or "grand narrative". At least, I think so. Most haven't; but a few have.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #737
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Hmm. There are games (some of which I've played in) which occasionally transcended the above "having a laugh" and approached "epic tale" or "grand narrative". At least, I think so. Most haven't; but a few have.
I really enjoyed RPGing with Gandalf the Grey. With Gandalf's games, the focus was on the story itself rather than on the competition between the players and they were serious about maintaining a Middle-earth flavour without taking themselves too seriously.

I enjoyed playing in The Barrow Wight's "My Crow Management" too, and my occasional contributions to the REB trilogy. Planning the REB posts in chat was probably more fun than writing the posts.

I think the real trick is to discover a group of people you know well and you enjoy writing with because then you develope an intuitive sense of what they will pick on (or ignore) and you can play with that.

EDIT: I really like what Noggie and b]LMP]/b] have done with the Scarburg Mead Hall. I think it's absolutely fantastic to see non-native speakers of English writing here with such style and ability.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 01-21-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #738
Snowdog

Pipe

I agree Nogrod about the movies, and about RP collaborative writing. A few weeks back, My wife (Elora) & I decided to watch the extended DVDs. They were for the most part yawners with some chuckles here and there. it took us a month to watch through all three of them. It was fun back in 2001-2003, but they are rather ordinary these days. Still, they will always have a place with us, for had it not been for the movies, we likely would have never met.

Mark, I may still crash the inn. I'll make an entrance with one of my characters and see how it goes. (Edit: Maybe not. From what I'm interpreting, I need a character bio to post there. Too much hassle.) As for writing RP here on the Downs, it was made rather clear to me that my style of writing has no place on Barrow Downs. I obviously broke some rule by posting in a thread in Gondor, and I wondered when I first posted there if I was tresspassing. A couple, maybe one, big attitudes that came down proved my perception to be correct. Anyway, no worries here. It is what it is. There are other places where the style is accepted, and thats cool.

I'm wrapping up the lst book of the Black Company (Soldiers Live) and am thinking of giving Lord of the Rings another read. Its been about 7 years.

Last edited by Snowdog; 02-10-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Change something I posted yesterday.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #739
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Pull up the rocking chairs and put the bottles in the refrigerator - tomorrow evening we toast the Professor's 120th birthday!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #740
Snowdog

Pipe

... so... it looks like we get to see another movie at the end of this yyear!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #741
Snowdog

Pipe

Yay! My sweet is back here in the Barrows!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #742
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
Yay! My sweet is back here in the Barrows!
I take it she is Elora here? Welcome, fair lady.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #743
Snowdog

Pipe

Yes. She hadn't logged in since 2004!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #744
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's great, Dawg! Now how can we get her interested enough to post?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #745
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Esty, your mention of "The History of The Hobbit" in the Hobbit2 thread made me want to run and get my 'The Annotated Hobbit' (I believe I have both TAH editions? Collector's twitch) and join in. My schedule is wild, but I have been racking my brains as to what I'd like to read; have very recently reread TH; and -- perhaps TAH would be just the thing. Oooh, tempting! It is a heavy book to carry on the bus, but...
Well, if you see me posting in CHxCH, you'll know...
Meanwhile, a toast to the Prof. Wha's like 'im!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #746
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That would be great, mark! In accordance with my nick, I am hoping...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #747
Snowdog

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
That's great, Dawg! Now how can we get her interested enough to post?
I'm sure she will shortly. It was major surgery to get her password and email sorted out.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #748
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Here's my oldrocker, there's my staff, here's my hood and cloak to hang on the peg by the door. Anyone going to join me on the porch?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #749
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

*pulls up a Muskoka chair, sits comfortably in it, and wraps a blanket around herself*

Greetings Mark! Hogmanay is a perfect time to shake open this thread. How have you been? Did Santa find you naughty or nice? (and is there an outdoor heater here?)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #750
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde wanders over to the familiar porch, shaking the snow off of her boots. Smiling her hellos she pulls up a low stool, and slowly seats herself while fussing with the knotted bag she has brought with her.

"Cookie anyone?"
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 AM   #751
Snowdog

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Here's my oldrocker, there's my staff, here's my hood and cloak to hang on the peg by the door. Anyone going to join me on the porch?
Eh? Ah, been waitin' for ya since May... musta fallen asleep.
Much too warm for a heater or a blanket Bethberry.
Hey thanks for the cookie Hilde!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #752
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

No wonder it is so warm, with that roaring fire you've got going in the chiminea! I think it is melting the chocolate bits clean out of my cookies!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #753
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Can I hide in here for awhile? I don't have the energy to cope with moderating right now, but a nice cookie and a cup of tea with friends who aren't squabbling about the movie would be very pleasant. Thanks for the cookie, Hilde - may I pour you a cuppa?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #754
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Well, I shall keep my blanket in any case, dear Dawg, as I am feeling quite chilled. But perhaps a cookie will also inspire some warmth, thank you, Hilde. And tea too would be lovely.

Estelyn, do you think we will be busier with this new movie out?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #755
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

*Hilde also accepts a cup with gratitude, and stirs it with eyes averted and ears straining as she awaits Esty's reply.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #756
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It's hard to say, Bb - we do have a few new members coming in, and certainly the members that have been around longer are discussing a lot on the movie forum. I guess the Hobbit movie just didn't fascinate me enough to compete with real life interests, so I'm not enjoying posting as much as I did 10 years ago.

I'll make some more tea - would you prefer green or Lady Grey?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #757
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Well, since I haven't seen the movie yet, I am enjoying reading the comments. But we do seem to have a rash of rude posts lately. Imagine telling Legolas he didn't need to provide a long explanation!

Oh, and green would be lovely, ta.

Hilde, your cookies were just the kind of Christmas treat I like, crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy inside. I suspect Bilbo might have been rather fond of that kind too.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #758
Snowdog

1420!

I saw the movie and said all I had to say about it in one small post at the end of Morothon's Extraneous journey thread.

Trying to get the house to cool down after a 33° C day. I'll have a cold beer thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #759
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post

Hilde, your cookies were just the kind of Christmas treat I like, crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy inside.
Rather like some people I know!

I have decided not to see the movies in order to avoid the confusion. Goodness knows the LoTR movies had the unfortunate effect of eclipsing my own mental images. Not worth having it happen again.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #760
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle View Post
I have decided not to see the movies in order to avoid the confusion. Goodness knows the LoTR movies had the unfortunate effect of eclipsing my own mental images. Not worth having it happen again.
If that has happened already, you lose nothing by seeing it as the visual outlook of the Hobbit is more or less the same than with the LotR. The milk is spilled so you have nothing to save...

I myself belong to the club of those saying the LotR movies (and now the Hobbit) were and are a kind of an eye-candy - and as such quite great - but as telling of a story quite terrible (unlike the stories the prof. wrote decades ago which still can captivate peoples' imagination). The Hobbit -movie is a calculated project to the bone for maximum audiences (and thus Box Office cash-value), but that calculation also pays heed to Tolkien fans as we have a lot of nice little details from the book in there, only those knowing the book inside-out will appreciate.

But if you go to see it already with the presupposition that it is a Hollywood blockbuster movie meant to draw in teen audiences and offfering all sorts of cliffhangers for people who don't yet know the story - and then sit back and relax concentrating rather on how it looks (or which details you can spot from the original work), then you might even enjoy it.