The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #241
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Amused? But surely not surprised...... ?
Sadly, no. It's a bit frustrating, as I seem to be lynched or dreamed of and then lynched on mere principal, despite leaving no discernable trail. I'm half tempted to come up with a new ID to play games anonymously, but I think that might be frowned upon. Ah, well, I suppose I should have thought of that when I was being all sneaky. Hopefully I'll actually be innocent in few games, to get this whole "Evil Roa" stigma to die down.

Also, I'll be watching you Valier, just in case you decide to pull that campaign of yours when your guilty. (Though I'd still enjoy seeing it.)

And Valesse, very well written. I was thoroughly amused every time.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #242
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Kudos for the wolves for being so bold!

Think how I felt, when in the middle of Day2 I noticed being voted consequently by "all the wolves"!

Yes, that was the turning point (Roa's vote), when I started lowering my suspicions on Eomer. Valier totally went under my radar, but Kit and Roa were there all the time, as numbers one and two. Had I just had one Day more...

But surely - as I said in the end - Roa secured her evil kill at the last minutes. She probably had written that nicely in advance and then just waited for the tactically right moment to throw it in so that the last possibly wawering voters would go her way. That's one of the reasons I admire her gaming. She's an overkill!

And I agree with Roa's bafflement. Why didn't you go to see such basic thing like voting records or something? I tried to yell with all my lungs thrown in through the keyboard: "See! See! There are the wolves confidently lying at the best possible spots on Day1 voting list!" - the ones I had pointed you otherwise earlier... Only Macalaure seemed to pay heed to those.

One thing I also am a bit baffled about was the consensus of me being suspicious. Forgive me, but would a wolf play like that? A nice clean and early vote for Glirdy or Form on Day1 and then out from the game (not involving oneself in the end of the Day) and then some this and that, maybe loose theories towards those already found suspicious by others (or those no one had bothered yet - as to look helpful) etc. - and through the Day2 with no actual effort or involvement. Yes and a wolf-win...

But it was fun as long as it lasted! From a long time I had time - and as Maca put it correctly, I really didn't care. I wanted to find the wolves and thaet's what I tried to do. I thought you others could draw your conclusions.

Well you sure did, with the assistance of these ingenious wolves...

Maybe next time I try the under-radar stuff? (probably get killed on Day1 just for that reason...)

But I enjoyed it with all of you! It's always nice to have tension and be pressed to perform well. Somehow I'm a bit disappointed of not managing to get you convinced, but being right with two wolves and four innocents kind of help to heal the wounds...

Thank's everyone!

And Valesse too. Hilarious!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #243
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor dead and unheeded Mormy
My top 5 suspects in order are:

Eomer
Valier
Roa
Jenny
Kuru

I've learned that my instincts are better than my analysis often times. In the last two games I've identified two to three wolves and had them as my top candidates I die and nobody listens to what I had to say. Shortly after this I dropped my suspicion of Eomer so Valier and Roa were on top.

Oh that you would have listened to me

Kitanna looked odd but as I trusted Nogrod and I didn't know what to think of Kitanna I wanted him to take that and he did.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #244
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
This is the first time I've ever made noises at the computer after being killed... noises along the lines of "Idiots! Idiots! Don't lynch him!!! ARGH!"

Yeah... I stand by what I was saying: Idiots!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #245
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Amazing game by the wolves. Just amazing.

Valier wasn't anywhere near my radar and Roa and Kitanna, well, you teamed up so obviously on Day 2 I couldn't believe you both were wolves.
Roa, you scare me.

And I still cannot believe Eomer is innocent. I didn't trust my eyes when I first read it. I'm sorry my language got a bit harsh at the end - I was just too sure and confident.

And chapeau to Nogrod, who was closest of all of us to identify the lupines.

Last edited by Macalaure; 07-06-2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #246
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
This is the first time I've ever made noises at the computer after being killed... noises along the lines of "Idiots! Idiots! Don't lynch him!!! ARGH!"

Yeah... I stand by what I was saying: Idiots!
20/20 hindsight is great isn't it? And it may not have been a bravura performance - but I lived longer than you ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #247
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Actually.... I've got to ask...

Assuming that Glirdy and I had tied votes at the end of Day 1, would my assumption that I (having garned the votes first) have been lynched, be correct?

I've heard some whining that I didn't do myself any favours by waiting so long reveal my seerness- but the fact is that until the last minute (which is when I posted in revelation) I hoped to survive the Night.

By the time I posted that Morm was innocent, it looked plain to me that I was going to be lynched- so I made sure that the village knew who I'd dreamed of. Mith coming along and saving me merely meant that the Wolves had to finish me off, instead of the village.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #248
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
By the time I posted that Morm was innocent, it looked plain to me that I was going to be lynched- so I made sure that the village knew who I'd dreamed of. Mith coming along and saving me merely meant that the Wolves had to finish me off, instead of the village.
I realise that but it still seemed the best thing to do despite it make me look like a bungling idiot

Old 07-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #249
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I realise that but it still seemed the best thing to do despite it make me look like a bungling idiot
Well for you, I agree it was best...

But for me, I had no idea you were coming back. By that point, it looked like my fate was sealed... and I didn't want my Seership COMPLETEY wasted.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #250
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Being the seer can be tricky because you must be moderately suspicious but not enough to get you killed. I wasn't going to be lynched in one game but the problem was that our hunter thought I was guilty enough to kill me . I cannot decide which role I enjoy the most...Seer or WW. Both I don't get enough
Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #251
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form
I've heard some whining that I didn't do myself any favours by waiting so long reveal my seerness- but the fact is that until the last minute (which is when I posted in revelation) I hoped to survive the Night.
Actually given that we didn't have a ranger, I wasn't surprised that you kept your reveal to the last minute. Maybe you idn't help yourself by not revealing, but you certainly wouldn't have helped yourself by revealing any sooner. We had you either way. Though, honestly, I thought you were just an easy lynch. i had no idea you were the gifted until I logged back on several hours after the deadline and read through the rest of the Day. There was even some discussion amongst us the following night that you were possibly bluffing to keep yourself alive and draw fire from the actual seer. Not so badly done, in regards to hiding your identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
But surely - as I said in the end - Roa secured her evil kill at the last minutes. She probably had written that nicely in advance and then just waited for the tactically right moment to throw it in so that the last possibly wawering voters would go her way. That's one of the reasons I admire her gaming. She's an overkill!
Actually, no, I posted as soon as I had it done. Same in regards to my case against you. I really have been busy, and I swear, I clocked out as soon as I said I did. Lucky for me, the whole village was quiet. (Really, I hate quiet villages, even as a wolf. There's hardly any challenge in swaying the vote, as I demonstrated.) Thanks for the compliment, though. Bold is beautiful!

Quote:
One thing I also am a bit baffled about was the consensus of me being suspicious. Forgive me, but would a wolf play like that?
Why not? It's what I do.

Quote:
Maybe next time I try the under-radar stuff? (probably get killed on Day1 just for that reason...)
I'll try to get lynched no matter how you play, if that's any comfort. *bats eyes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morm
Being the seer can be tricky because you must be moderately suspicious but not enough to get you killed. I wasn't going to be lynched in one game but the problem was that our hunter thought I was guilty enough to kill me
Don't sweat that. Aside from LMP's super hunter in deuling wizards and Lomgrod's logical hunter in psychotic penguins, I believe the sole purpose of the hunter is to kill the seer. Find a hunter that hasn't, and I'll personally congratulate them (it doesn't count if they didn't die, or if the seer died before they did, though.)

Old 07-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #252
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Could it be more anemic? People don't participate in the game, don't want to get involved in the game (but just to lynch those who would involved themselves) and don't bother to discuss it afterwards?

Then with a pretty small village they have three werewolves and lose in straight Days just because of not trying. And people don't even bother to complain! Yeah, that's life. No can do...

Thanks Valesse for trying, but this village seemed to have been dead even before it started?

Bad luck - or something else...
Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #253
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Since this was only my second game I didn't dare to really complain, but now that you ask for it...

The first problem was, of course, that it was a very small village. Three lynchings go the wrong way and that was it. But that was the challenge of this game.

Then we had quite bold wolves. All of them got involved in the Day1-bandwaggons and Roa and Kitanna ruth- and fearlessly fueled the lynching of Nogrod on Day2.

Apart from Nogrod, there were no bold innocents against them. It is sad, that most other innocents thought im guilty because of this or didn't care about it.
And then, a lot of things went wrong. We lost the seer in Night1, known innocent Mormegil wasn't able to contribute a lot on Day2 and Eomer attracted almost all suspicion to him on Day3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Really, I hate quiet villages, even as a wolf. There's hardly any challenge in swaying the vote, as I demonstrated.
And that really says it all. Shame on us.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #254
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Maybe we're playing too many games.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:41 AM   #255
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Then we had quite bold wolves.
Why is that a problem?

Quote:
known innocent Mormegil wasn't able to contribute a lot on Day2
A better statement would be: Mormegil's contributions weren't heeded on Day 2. Remember I voted Valier and suspected Roa next right after her. I also thought Nogrod innocent and told you to listen to him about Kitanna.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #256
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Bold wolves aren't necessarily a problem, of course. But this time, without a bold innocent to withstand them left, we were easy prey. Maybe we didn't make up enough of our own thoughts as well and too many of us went with those whose words sounded most fair - or convenient.

Quote:
A better statement would be: Mormegil's contributions weren't heeded on Day 2.
You're probably right. I think many of us forgot your statements by the time the debate got more heated and the deadline moved near (our fault, once more). I should have said "known innocent Mormegil wasn't able to contribute as much as he would have wanted". I guess you would have had a word or two about the course the arguments of that Day went. I'm not blaming you, of course, but your opinions at that particular time might have been crucial.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #257
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just to drive the point home, Naria, who wasn't even participating in the game, had me pegged on Day 2. Why? Because I completely made up the case against Nogrod, and he and Jenny were the only ones that caught it. I had a busy week and didn't have the time to go against someone with a thorough case up until the last few minutes of the game with Eomer. (I didn't make stuff up on that one, though.)

Personally, I was glad no one listened to morm. If he had come up with a more reasonable case than "I suspect these people," (what was your case against Valier?) then he might have been more successful. Part of the reason I started the debate with Nogrod was to drive attention that way instead of with the known innocent. And with everyone so quiet and Nogrod and Eomer going right in, it wasn't difficult.

And to all you people who think summaries and analysis are pointless and unhelpful, look at the power they have, or could have had. I believe the only one who did analysis at all was Jenny, and they were all but ignored! Yes, it takes some effort to go through everyone's posts, firgure out what they're really saying, put it all in order next to each other so as to see the discrepencies, and come to conclusions based on those, but really it's worth it. and sure, it may take a little extra reading time to go through someone else's analysis and determine if it's fair/accurate or not. I've used it as both an innocent catching wolves (from my very first game where I used it to catch Valier to my last game as an innocent where it caught Boromir on Day 1 *sticks tongue out at Form*) and as a wolf misdirecting innocents (really, everywhere- look.)

Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #258
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morm
Quote:
Then we had quite bold wolves.

Why is that a problem?
Normally, it's no more of a problem than any other wolves, but in a quiet village, the wolves can either quietly go along with out being noticed, or they can be bold and gain complete control of the village. The later was the case here. By the end of Day 2, we were driving the vote any which way we wanted, and the only people who challenged us got lynched. As powerful as we were, it was really over at that point.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #259
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
Normally, it's no more of a problem than any other wolves, but in a quiet village, the wolves can either quietly go along with out being noticed, or they can be bold and gain complete control of the village. The later was the case here. By the end of Day 2, we were driving the vote any which way we wanted, and the only people who challenged us got lynched. As powerful as we were, it was really over at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
Bold wolves aren't necessarily a problem, of course. But this time, without a bold innocent to withstand them left, we were easy prey. Maybe we didn't make up enough of our own thoughts as well and too many of us went with those whose words sounded most fair - or convenient.
I think that was exactly the problem. Most of the villagers were just pleased to hunker down, not to get their own necks in the open and thence the village lost. I agree with both Roa and Macalaure here. Conveniently securing one's own butt is not always the way to victory - it never is.

Bad game, sorry to say this. Some people tried, too many didn't.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #260
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Some of us tried our best. Obviously it wasn't good enough but people who live in glass houses.....

Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #261
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I didn't do as much as I could have done but I had a lot of other, more pressing, matters to attend to last week. I certainly wasn't free enough to get obsessed by the game. I think we must always bear* in mind that it's just a game and we should try to put having fun ahead of meticulously getting everything right.

*used the right one this time.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #262
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I didn't do as much as I could have done but I had a lot of other, more pressing, matters to attend to last week. I certainly wasn't free enough to get obsessed by the game. I think we must always bear* in mind that it's just a game and we should try to put having fun ahead of meticulously getting everything right.

*used the right one this time.

Oh Eomer..you are no fun anymore ...

Old 07-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #263
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eomer speaks sense. I followed this whole game though I didn't play in it, and I didn't play because I knew I wouldn't have the time to throw myself completely into it, and I knew that if I didn't, I would spend most of my available time defending myself for not being able to throw myself completely into it. Werewolf these days seems to be getting more and more about grading other people's playing until it's not fun anymore -- the fear of being deemed stupid, useless, lazy, or reprehensible because you can't live up to other people's exacting standards overrides any enjoyment. So I've decided it's better not to play at all if I don't have the time to be (or inclination to reject real life in favor of) totally immersing myself. And that's sad, because I really have had fun with Werewolf.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #264
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Check my post count- I was barely around at all, especially compared to my other games, where I usually compete with Nogrod and Lommy for highest post count. I spent the whole week moving into a new apartment, job hunting, helping my fiance with his new job, and planning a wedding. ON TOP OF SCHOOL. Yet I was still one of the most vocal people in the game.

Quote:
I followed this whole game though I didn't play in it, and I didn't play because I knew I wouldn't have the time to throw myself completely into it, and I knew that if I didn't, I would spend most of my available time defending myself for not being able to throw myself completely into it. Werewolf these days seems to be getting more and more about grading other people's playing until it's not fun anymore -- the fear of being deemed stupid, useless, lazy, or reprehensible because you can't live up to other people's exacting standards overrides any enjoyment. So I've decided it's better not to play at all if I don't have the time to be (or inclination to reject real life in favor of) totally immersing myself. And that's sad, because I really have had fun with Werewolf.
No one here has said stupid, useless, or lazy. (well, except Nogrod, but how is that any different than the norm?) It's not about grading. It's constructive criticism, something that you've never seemed to be able to take. What's the point of this whole post-game discussion, if not to point out what went right and what went wrong? What would you prefer we do with it? Give hollow two-faced compliments for the sake of politeness? We aren't little kids. (Most of us.) We are, for the most part, adults or young adults who should be able to handle someone pointing out that they didn't do as well as they could.

And I believe you've heard me say this many times before- if you don't think you'll be able to give the necessary time to the game, don't sign up. It's not about wether or not you want to have fun or not get accused of not participating, it's about consideration for your fellow players, and wether or not your going to give them a good game. The measure of a game is only partly the mod's responsibility. The rest is our own doing.

Everyone in this game is known, to me at least, as a very good werewolf player, with great skill. We are all highly intelligent people, capable of great games. This game we were all under par. We've all done better than this in the past. When that happens, the best thing you can do is to look for what went wrong, and decide how you can do better next time, instead of whining about how harsh we're being.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #265
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My point was that it's just a game and if you take it too seriously you zap a bit of the fun out of it for the people around you. Then it's no longer a game, it's something altogether less "fun and games" and more "this will be going on your transcript and/or résumé."

Hey, you win some, you lose some. In some games people are really "on" and others they're not. Sometimes the village wins and sometimes the wolves win. I can understand Nogrod's frustration (even though I think the attempt to send everyone on guilt-trips is quite over the top) as he was on the losing team but you could at least accept your win with a positive attitude instead of complaining that it was too easy.

Anyway, you completely missed my point, it isn't about constructive critiscm vs. hollow compliments, it's about stopping to realize when in life these things actually matter enough to keep going at them like a dog with a bone. There's a difference between realizing where people won or lost games (whichever side they're on) and complaining about it at length. I was just reacting to the decidedly whiney or condeming tone to many of the posts, and I thought that someone who didn't play in this particular game could stand up for the idea that losing (or winning too easily) isn't the end of the world.

Quote:
And I believe you've heard me say this many times before- if you don't think you'll be able to give the necessary time to the game, don't sign up. It's not about wether or not you want to have fun or not get accused of not participating, it's about consideration for your fellow players, and wether or not your going to give them a good game.
This game had trouble gaining players. Many people signed up because they were asked to. I mean, people were being PMed to join, me included, and I felt really bad about declining. But you can't tell people that if they're not prepared to satisfy you, they shouldn't play, unless you are the mod.

Quote:
It's constructive criticism, something that you've never seemed to be able to take.
Yes, Roa, because you've seen me in life, with school, work, etc. No. You've seen me playing an internet game. A bit of fun and recreation. I just don't like flagellation with my fun, and I'm not the only one around here who feels that way.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #266
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Okay, I think we're all aware of the Diamond/Roa vendetta regarding WW playing styles... so enough out of you two. Let someone else do the arguing.

Though I admit the validity of Roa's arguments, and can see where she's coming from, I definitely come down on Diamond's side of the argument. I am going to be online at A,B, and C times of day, and I'll do what I can during those times, and I'll make sure I vote (well, except for that one moment of lapsed memory during Cailin's game, after which I was killed by Jenny anyway...). I'm not going to play by anybody's conventions, but what the rules require and I myself stipulate.

You guys wonder why I go on and on about Day 1s? My post back there ingame- the one in which I was accused of backpedalling my first post's statements- was perfectly true to life.

And I DO largely do it to tweak people's noses. You tell me how to play, and I'm going to ignore you. I've been Werewolfing long enough that I think I know how the game's played. And if I die on Day 1 or so... well that's REALLY disappointing, but I'll take it in stride, 'cause I sure ain't changing my style just to suit you lot.

And changing my style would be equally suspicious anyway...

Seriously, no matter what you do... there's going to be a winner and a loser. (Well, except in my game....)

And to expect the same commitment from every player, every time is just... foolish. It's summer, people have lives. I suspect if you look at WW VII, or other games from last summer, you won't see "Duelling Wizards" levels of intensity.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 AM   #267
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

I really don't see what the current quarrel is about.

Of course, playing Werewolf is about fun.

But, of course, as it is with any other game as well, playing is most fun if everybody is trying to play at their best.

And, of course, as soon as it is only about playing the best one can, the fun goes down.
The truth is somewhere in between. I think this is quite common sense, after all.

And Diamond, Nogrod is not trying to send us on guilt-trips (at least this is how I understand it). Almost everybody wasn't playing at or near his/her best, and he was a little disgruntled that nobody actually discussed why this was the case and everybody just accepted it.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:01 AM   #268
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Hey, peeps...

I really don't like the implication that the villagers didn't put into the game everything we should. Sometimes, Noggie, the wolves win, and are better than us, and manipulate us. It happens. Life is a straw--suck it up!

And hear, hear, Diamond! I'm about fed up with all the people who take this game so seriously. I'm especially fed up with all the ad hominem attacks on people who disagree with others on how the game ought to be played.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #269
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Hey Valesse thanks for a wonderful game. I had fun.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #270
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Indeed, this whole post-game conversation is a waste. I had fun even if others think not enough effort has been put forward. But if this is how WW games are going to be from now on, I think I'll retire from them.

Thanks Valesse for a fun and enjoyable game, your modding was excellent. And thank you Diamond for your insight.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #271
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sorry. I may have expressed myself badly or given bad impressions. Surely I have not intended to pick up on anyone ar anything like that. If I have, I'm very sorry. That has not been intended.

Yes. I had fun (especially on Day2). If I wouldn't have fun playing WW, I wouldn't play.

Also having fun is the reason to play, not winning. That I have voiced many times here. I'll be much more satisfied with a great and lost game than with a bad but won one. (That's one of the reasons I disapprove the playing-style of one post/Day. It's quite easy to survive a long time with that style, but is it fun to anyone? It seems more like a calculated style to win, not an effort to actually play)

The wolves outwitted the village left-handedly this time around. They played really well. We villagers weren't that good here. Yeah, that happens.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #272
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
This game had trouble gaining players. Many people signed up because they were asked to. I mean, people were being PMed to join, me included, and I felt really bad about declining. But you can't tell people that if they're not prepared to satisfy you, they shouldn't play, unless you are the mod.
It's not about me, it's about everyone. I want Werewolf to be fun as much as everyone else does. Did I have fun this game? No,. and it had nothing to do with Valesse. I played horribly. I was so off my game this time that I thought I would be an easy lynch. I am terribly apologetic about it, becuase it's not fair to the other people who were trying to have a good game.

Were we going on and on about something? I don't think so. Three people chimed in with their opinion of the whole thing, and suddenly we're putting everyone down, and making it un-fun, and being totally unfair. Well, you may resent me for saying we didn't do very well this game, but I can be equally resentful for being attacked and accused of being selfish and domineering everytime I try to be helpful about pointing out what went wrong and how we can do better next time. I notice that no one has actually made a point against Nogrod's, Mac's and my statements, except to say that they were busy. Well, guess what? We're all busy. Some of more than others. I've stated already that I was exceptionally busy this game. But I made time for it out of respect for you people. Is it really too much to expect a reciprocal?

Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #273
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

This post is not intended as a personal criticism of either Nogrod or Roa. The points made below are applicable equally to others, I am sure. But some of the comments made by them above are illustrative, I think, of where the current problems may have arisen, at least in part.

I would also note that matters have not been helped by what I consider to be an overreaction to some of the earlier comments made on this thread. There is a responsibility on both sides of this debate to keep things civil and avoid personal comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Also having fun is the reason to play, not winning. That I have voiced many times here. I'll be much more satisfied with a great and lost game than with a bad but won one. (That's one of the reasons I disapprove the playing-style of one post/Day. It's quite easy to survive a long time with that style, but is it fun to anyone? It seems more like a calculated style to win, not an effort to actually play)
OK. Two things.

First, what is a great game? What may be a great game for you might be a bad game for someone else. And vice versa. I think that one of the problems that has arisen here is the attempt to define the quality of a game by reference to the way in which either you or others have played. All games are unique. All have particular points of interest. I think that it is best to avoid seeking to lay the blame anywhere (whether on yourself or others) if you personally did not enjoy a game.

Secondly, it may be a language issue, but expressing disapproval of a particular playing style suggests that it is somehow "wrong" or "bad" on an objective basis. Fine if you subjectively dislike a particular playing style, just like Form dislikes Day 1s. We can all have different opinions about that. But there is no "approved" or "unapproved" playing style. All are fine, provided that the minimum commitment requirements are met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Three people chimed in with their opinion of the whole thing, and suddenly we're putting everyone down, and making it un-fun, and being totally unfair.
I see no problem with expressing opinions, provided that they do not stray into the area of personal criticism. That, I think, is where things have gone slightly awry here. I am afraid that your comments about Diamond being unable to take constructive criticism are, I think, an example of this, Roa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Well, you may resent me for saying we didn't do very well this game, but I can be equally resentful for being attacked and accused of being selfish and domineering everytime I try to be helpful about pointing out what went wrong and how we can do better next time.
Again, nothing wrong with discussing differing approaches to Werewolf games and debating the merits of particular tactics or playing styles. But when the tone adopted is akin to a lecture from those who give the impression of “knowing best”, which I think it has to a degree on this thread, then people are bound to react badly. As I have stated elsewhere, the game is supposed to be fun. It is not a piece of work or an examination, in which people require coaching or tutoring, or on which they are to be graded. And, if people prefer to do things differently to you, then that is their right. It should not be a matter of criticism, although it can quite validly be a matter for civil and respectful debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
Well, guess what? We're all busy. Some of more than others. I've stated already that I was exceptionally busy this game. But I made time for it out of respect for you people. Is it really too much to expect a reciprocal?
Yes, I think it is. As I have also stated elsewhere, there is a minimum level of commitment required for a Werewolf game. Anything above that is down to the individual, whether that be a matter of tactics, real life issues or simple playing style. Personally, I find it difficult to play Werewolf without becoming totally engrossed in it, even when I am busy in real life. That’s me. If others are happy to play without the same level of involvement, then that’s fine by me (although I reserve the right to use it for tactical purposes, within the context of the game itself, where appropriate).

OK. I have said my piece.

I will re-open this thread, but ask that any further comments be directed towards the game in question and that they be made in the spirit of civil and constructive debate.

The points made above give rise to general issues which I am happy to discuss further on the Tol-in-Gaurhoth admin thread. Again, though, I would counsel that all who participate do so in a civil and respectful manner.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 07-11-2006 at 10:31 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote