The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2003, 05:39 PM   #41
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*Is also worried about the Palantir*<P>Did you guys know that Alexandra Astin plays Elanor? I think that's really adorable.<P>Coincidentally, I happen to be watching an interview with Sean Astin in the Golden Globes Preshow...lovely things coincidences are, eh?
Old 01-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #42
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Ooooooo!!! Check out the excellent new *spoiler* pic at this link:<BR> <A HREF="http://warofthering.net/images/mainsiteimages/aragornandlegolas.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://warofthering.net/images/mainsiteimages/aragornandlegolas.jpg</A>
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:17 PM   #43
The Green Ringwraith
Haunting Spirit

Location: On the edge of the world I'll roam and the home of the wolf will be my home.
The Green Ringwraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Green Ringwraith Send a message via AIM to The Green Ringwraith
Sting

In that picture of Sam holding a seemingly dead Frodo, Frodo looks like Tinkerbell from "Hook" (played by a Julia Roberts with short curly reddish hair- which it looks like Frodo has) and Sam looks quite old and drawn... but not any thinner...
Old 01-19-2003, 11:40 PM   #44
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL - oooh, mean, mean, MEAN!!<P>I know this is probably a sign that I've spent WAY to much time looking at these pictures, but I've decided that the one w/Sam and Frodo has to be after Shelob but before Mt. Doom. If you notice, Sam has Sting hanging from his belt which he doesn't get until after Shelob. And the noticable lack of smoke behind them leads me to believe they haven't reached the volcano yet. Could this be after the orc-run (if they're even going to put that in the film)? Either way, it looks like all of you who were looking forward to a nude Frodo will be disappointed. If they stripped him as they did in the book, he would have orc clothes on instead of his own. Sorry, girls!
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:13 AM   #45
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Actually, I thought that the Sam/Frodo pic was when Sam thinks Frodo is dead. So that would be at the opening of Shelob's Lair right near the Tower of Cirith Ungol, just after Sam stabs Shelob and she retreats to her den. We may see a naked Mr. Frodo, yet. Not that I want to. Come on, you'd have to be perverted to find that scene arousing. Sadistic, too, when you consider that the Orcs were whipping him.<P>What a great pic, Tigerlily! I love that White Tree, it's so beautiful!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:36 AM   #46
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow! Aragorn looks so clean and healthy! I hardly recognized him. I wonder how much time they'll spend on the coronation. I hope not too much. I keep having bad thoughts of that overly long "celebration" in the Starwars movie with the Ewoks. That was boring! I agree with Tolkien when he made that remark about the happy stuff (I think it was in The Hobbit, when they stayed at Rivendell)not being all that particularly interesting. <p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-20-2003, 07:56 AM   #47
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I keep having bad thoughts of that overly long "celebration" in the Starwars movie with the Ewoks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Overly long? It was like, 4 minutes long.<P>But I digress.<P>Great pics, although I don't think that last one was really a "spoiler", per se. It's Aragorn in a Faramir suit.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:04 AM   #48
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Oh no....It was surely longer than that! It "seemed" like 20 minutes. Either way, my point is a long coronation with lots of heraldry will be boring. (to me)<p>[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-24-2003, 01:32 PM   #49
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But it really annoys me when people say that "oh, the Palantír and Pippin isn't essential so it will probably be left out." It's definitely essential to Pippin, perhaps the biggest turning point in his life. And Pippin is important to the plot. So there.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I totally get your point, Diamond, and I am by no means saying that it isn't a huge thing for Pippin and for the whole story as well. And that I wouldn't be sad if it was left out. But as you yourself pointed out, they have a million other ways to get Pip to Minas Tirith, and even show the change and new found maturity in him. <P>When I said that it isn't vital to the story, I meant just that: it is an important part of the story, but they <I>can</I> still make a RotK-movie without it. And hopefully a good movie.<P>But your guess is as good a mine, and they might jus as well include it. Then - for once - I would be happy to be wrong...
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #50
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, and there was <I>another</I> page in this thread...*feels dumb*<P>I'm a sucker for all of that happy "let's wrap things up"-stuff. I even enjoyed ewoks . And I was so grateful that Tolkien gave me enough time to get over the fact that the book was about to end...So I wouldn't mind if they used the last hour of the movie just for that.:rolleyes one can hope, eh?)<p>[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:12 PM   #51
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those pics were great, but it sounds like they're cutting out a lot of the scenes I wanted to see!!<BR>Pippin and the palantir<BR>The scouring of the Shire<BR>And I wanted to see Saruman die in the Shire...with all the cute little hobbits and... though at least, either way it is Grima who kills him. I'm still sad the he didn't have a rainbow bathrobe on though.<P>I was going to say something else, but I forgot...<P>Oh yes!! I love the way Aragorn came out. My friend was wondering if they would be able to make him kingly, and I think they did a fine job.<P>And a few minor lines, I'll kill Peter Jackson if they leave out: <BR>The part in Isengard were Pippin is telling what happens and mentions the thing with Gandalf (something like "Gandalf!" "Pippin, you tom fool of a Took...")<BR>More important to me, though of course they'll leave this out, is that one little line with Gollum carressing Frodo a sudden;y looking like an old weary hobbit. (starts crying for Gollum)
Old 01-25-2003, 11:13 PM   #52
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Diamond18 -</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Actually, I thought that the Sam/Frodo pic was when Sam thinks Frodo is dead. So that would be at the opening of Shelob's Lair right near the Tower of Cirith Ungol, just after Sam stabs Shelob and she retreats to her den. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I liked your explanation until I got an email from a friend of mine (who has spent even MORE time looking @ the pics which is just plain sad, ha ha) and he pointed out that Frodo is still wearing his cloak in the pic inside Shelob's Lair (you know, the one w/the star-glass) and is not wearing it in the Frodo/Sam pic. I have no idea if it's significant, but he even pointed out Frodo's lack of a vest and very dirty shirt which leads him to believe it's after the escape from the tower. Join me, now...Hmmmm.
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:36 AM   #53
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Wow those spoilers sound pretty hard-core. I really like the Pro and Con section!<P>Hey, does anyone have a link to those Eowyn/Merry/Witchking pics? I really, REALLY want to peek at them....
Old 01-26-2003, 12:38 AM   #54
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Oh, dear, now the suspense is going to kill me! Ah well, that's what spoiler pics are for, I guess. I would say "we shall soon see", but it's not soon, not soon at all. <P>Oh, and Nenya, don't take the "wrath of the Pippin fan" rant too personally. I fear that you are all too right in your predictions... <I>*considers writing letter to PJ begging and pleading that if he didn't film it, he does so before it's too late...*</I><P><B>Blue Elf:</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And a few minor lines, I'll kill Peter Jackson if they leave out: <BR>The part in Isengard were Pippin is telling what happens and mentions the thing with Gandalf (something like "Gandalf!" "Pippin, you tom fool of a Took...")<BR>More important to me, though of course they'll leave this out, is that one little line with Gollum carressing Frodo a sudden;y looking like an old weary hobbit. (starts crying for Gollum) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm afraid that first thing will be out because they already had the meeting between the Hobbits and Gandalf in TTT, and they didn't say anything. I loved that line; " 'Gandalf!' I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: 'Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!'? No, indeed! He said, 'Get up, you tom-fool of a Took!..." Ah me...<P>But the second thing, about Gollum, I'd be surprised if that wasn't in there. PJ seems to like portraying the good side of Gollum a lot, and that would be just perfect. I'm nearly positive a thing like that will be in there... We can hopes, at least, can't we, nice hobbitses?
Old 01-31-2003, 05:26 PM   #55
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Phew!! i am so happy that pippin looks into the palantir and that he still goes to Minas Tirith. Except i am VERY angry at some of the changes...grr! Now i cant wait until RotK!! NOO! MUST....SEE....NOW!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:26 PM   #56
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Couple of thoughts about these pics.<P>Wormtongue seems almost sure to be on the top of Orthanc. Thoughts? I'm very much perplexed on how they're going to deal with him and Saruman.<P>I am so pumped after seeing those Deagol - Smeagol pics. I wasn't expecting this at all. I was thinking of where they might fit in. How about this? <P>Before entering Shelob's Lair, Gollum and the hobbits have one last camp. Gollum wanders off and has another little converstion with himself where he is split on what to do. (In the tale of years it says he almost repents here.) Gollum tells Smeagol something like, "it's not like you haven't killed to get the Ring before", and we get a flash back of the whole Deagol-Smeagol incident. Smeagol then tells Gollum, "not this time", or something like it and goes back preparing the repent and lead the hobbits out. When he gets there though, Sam yells and insults him and Smeagol is gone and Gollum comes through. This could all be carried with the expressions on Smeagol/Gollum's face and the pathos would be practically dripping off the screen.<P>H.C.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:27 AM   #57
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

aaah..::drooling:: thanks so much for sharing all of that with us..I don't consider much of anything a spoiler..nothing will ever compare to the moment after you've just finished a movie for the first time (a movie that you liked that is)
Old 02-03-2003, 07:34 AM   #58
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well there can now be no scouring of the Shire because Sharkey will be dead.<P>The TOP of Orthanc HC? Well, now that I look closely you may be onto something. It certainly does tase of sweet revenge to have Saruman's snivelling little toady finish him off.<P>Shelob is 100% creepy, so is a young Smeagol.<P>Let's hope they give me a little more nerve in ROTK.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #59
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Thoughts? I'm very much perplexed on how they're going to deal with him and Saruman. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too. The caption suggests that Wormtongue attacks Saruman having grown tired of his taunts. There were minimal taunts in TTT, which means that they will need some scenes working up the tension between the two. Unfortunately, it looks like these will all be restricted to Orthanc. I suspect that RotK will have Wormtongue throwing the Palantir out, as in the book, since this will provide a basis for their relationship turning sour. <P>As for the Smeagol/Deagol pics, I believe that these will be in the TTT extended version. If you look closely in the scene in the Dead Marshes, where Frodo first calls Gollum Smeagol, there is a close-up on Gollum's eyes glazing over like they are going into "flashback" mode. I reckon the story of how he first gets the Ring will go in here.<P>And, is it just me, or does Mount Doom in one of these pictures look like something out of a school project?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:55 AM   #60
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You may be right about the Deagol-Smeagol pics Sauceman. It works there too. As long as I see them somewhere is all a care about.<P>Now watch them be scenes that were cut from the prologue, never to return. <P>Be careful judging the quality of the pics before you see them in the film though. A lot of these a production shots. We've seen lots of images of Mount Doom in the movies and all of them have looked good to me so far.<P>H.C.