The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #81
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1420!

I really have no idea! I'm awful at reading into what people say and more often than not, I don't get the wrong end of the stick, I get a whole different stick from a different tree. It's not even the same kind of wood!

Ahem. But enough of this silliness. I seriously have no idea, but I am being led to Manwe because he made fun of me ( ) and also because he was being, if not tactless, then suspicious. I won't vote for him now because I'll probably get another idea soon enough.
Garin has had some interesting things to say. Voting for Nogrod out of the blue and then changing when challenged seems... if not odd then... erm... not... so... odd?

Quote:
Also, everyone seems to trust Legate right now.
Well, he's made some good points so far but that by no means he's innocent. But, I say he's innocent until proven guilty as are all ye here. But then again, isn't the basis of this game 'trust no-one'? Sorry to break the 4th wall.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #82
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I have been thinking about Mr. Spam and the more I do it the more confused I get.

It looks like he is grasping at every straw he can twist. And it looks pretty odd.

First he goes on saying that myself and Roa are berating the quieter ones when all I had said about the issue is practically this here:
Quote:
#19Speak up people, otherwise we can't nail the baddies... and if it becomes to that, I will be the first to vote for those who do not talk without an acceptable explanation.
When he comes back 12 hours later he sticks with his original and obviously faulty idea that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPaM
#58While I am keen for people to speak as much as possible, I am content to give them more than a few hours to do so. You, on the other hand, appeared to be rather cheesed off that most of the village had not spoken in the early hours.
Then he goes on adding that remarkable suspicion that Kath and I are up to no good as we had voiced some optimism because of the basic setting of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPaM
It’s possible that one or both may be trying to lull us into a false sense of security.
I mean what is this? How does this relate to anything? How do people act in a state of "false security" and what follows from that? Sorry but I just don't get this. If on the other hand SPaM is only trying to come up with anything someone might bite, then it would be more understandable.

Anyhow he then makes the next points
Quote:
What does concern me, however, is that there appear to have been a number who have championed him (Mänwe) as a primary candidate for lynching, and I do wonder whether this might have resulted from a perception by one or more of the Faithful that his style might make him a possible Day 1 lynch.
---------------
I wonder whether he (Glirdy) too may have been targeted as a potential easy Day 1 lynch.
So long as the lynch is not bent towards one of them it's pretty much the same to the were-faithfuls who is lynched. Why risk making an open campaign? But only if there is something like a big fish to be lynched.

And then there was this stuff about me targeting Glirdy especially which I think I already showed was nonsense.

So what to make of this? Is he just in a hurry and careless and just forgets what has actually been said? But he manages to remember things wrongly always towards the same direction...

If there ever was anyone trying to frame someone else, this might meet the criteria?

EDIT: X'd with a host of posts.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #83
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
3rd post - Thinks it's odd that Nogrod and Roa are "berating" the quiet.

(Here he clearly takes things out of proportion. Niether Nogrod nor myself "berated" anyone. We said the exact same thing that he said- talking good, quiet bad)
OK. For the second time today, I was not “taking things out of proportion” when I made this comment. I was merely noting that it seemed rather odd to be criticising people for not having posted yet when we were only just over three hours into the game (and in the middle of the night, for some people). The points that I had in mind in particular in making this statement were the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
There's always something to comment on. So get to commenting people.

Seriously, it's Day 1, everyone's alive, where are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
It's almost downright insulting that I'm the number one poster at this point with just a few posts.

Speak up people, otherwise we can't nail the baddies... and if it becomes to that, I will be the first to vote for those who do not talk without an acceptable explanation.
I would probably have thought little more of it, but for the reaction my comment seems to have garnered, which is where the disproportionate reaction lies, to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
I never "jumped on" Glirdan. I was using him as an example of what not to do.
I never said that you did. Indeed, I don’t think that I accused anyone of “jumping” on Glirdan. Nogrod’s early statements concerning Glirdan’s (only) post did, however, arouse my suspicions. He repeated them above, but I shall set them out here for ease of reference:

Quote:
Glirdy looks somewhat normal but there is a feeling I get from his post... I don't know what. I know I myself disagree with voting the most "usual suspects" as it tends to turn bad for us, but still I can't help feeling that from those already posted I would say he's the most suspicious one. But that's a little to say and calls for reconsideration after some more posting from you all...
Quote:
Glirdy seems to be too detached for a villager. Just casually making himself present but in an alienated way. It sounds bad to be sure.

Hope you have more to say later on Glirdy! I know it's early, but there are things to be observed other than "substance" also early in the game, like attitudes behind the words... the problem is that an unenchanted villager might go for it as you do.
Glirdan’s first post is nothing more than an “I’m here, but have nothing much to say”. Now, while this sort of post does annoy me, I am not inclined to view it as sinister, taken alone. Nogrod, however, referred to him as “the most suspicious one” (at that, admittedly early, stage) and categorised it as “bad to be sure”. Yes, he said he wanted to hear more from Glirdy. But, if Glirdan was identified as a possible Day 1 target by the Faithfuls, then this was an appropriate time, from their perspective, to start sowing the seeds of doubt in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
But SPM irks me in a most sinister way. He's too good at directing his wording to point one way, when he's actually meaning something else. I never trust him, to be sure, but I especially don't like his case against Nogrod.
Trust is a difficult thing to come by in this game, so I would not expect you to trust me. But, I should be grateful if you would explain your reasoning further. I have said nothing other than that which I intended to say, and mean. My “case” against Nogrod, which actually amounts to finding him one of the two most suspicious villagers at this stage, is based upon the various points identified in my previous post which, while seemingly innocuous when taken individually, are sufficient to arouse my suspicions when taken together.

I hope that clarifies.

Your “case” against Manwe, already an early contender for possible lynching, in turn troubles me, Roa. However, I still find Rikae, with her hasty vote for him, the most suspicious among those agitating against him, so my main suspicions remain with her and Nogrod. And I cannot believe that both you and Nogrod are Faithfuls. Melkor help us if you are.

I am not sure whether I will be around for much longer, so must vote soon. I will review to see whether there are any other points worth considering before doing so.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #84
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Typically, the two "loudest" people in the village, namely Nogrod and SPaM are getting some serious looking at. (And are going at each other. Ah, if Boro was in the mix there'd be five pages already.) I don't like this "lynch them, because if they are a Faithful, they're going to be dangerous. Well, if they aren't, could they not be "dangerous" to the Faithful in turn?

I'm not saying ignore them - that would be purely foolish - but we've been here before, people. Day 1 or 2, and we're already thinking "agh, so and so is here and alive?!" People say SPM is grasping, people say Nogrod is...wait, what exactly is everyone's point? That he's being accusatory? Well, what else can ya do? Any general theories are pretty much a waste of time. It's all about reactions.

And I find Manwe's reaction rather interesting. He still doesn't feel right to me, but I think a Faithful would be a little more honey-tongued than he is.

Rikae's jumping in and voting doesn't really make me suspicious of her, but the fact that she chose Manwe in succession with my vote, to bring him ahead in votes already is a little odd. It might seem crazy to be suspicious of people who agree with you, but...well, maybe you have a point there...

Garin - I apologize. I wasn't sure whether you had played before or not, but even if you had, I still thought a number of people in this game probably have never played with you before (including myself).

But now I find you pretty darn odd looking. You would have seemed more innocent to me had you stuck with your Nogrod vote, but the way you back off as if to avoid confrontation, and go with someone who's been remarked on quite a bit (and for the nice, simple reasoning of a quick vote)...looks like your trying to find an easy way out.

Well, really all I know is that it's quite funny that Kath seems pleased that I got down to business in my very first post, while Lommy finds it suspicious. You can't win.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #85
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My, my...

I certainly wish I had more time to mull over this, but I'm afraid I must leave shortly, therfore I must cast my vote now. I admit, I've had a name in mind for the last hour, yet I do find Garin's recent behaviour rather odd...to suddenly change votes when under pressure. I won't deny, for a moment I reconsidered my selection.

Yet, I do not change my mind so quickly and must go with my first instinct. She may end up being the popular choice, but I don't really care because I'm just going with my gut on this one. She only posted once, and within that post, made a hasty vote with little reason to back it up...so that is why I must vote for:

++Rikae

This will most likely be my last post for the first day, so I shall take my leave...

EDIT: X-ed with SpM and Durelin...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #86
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay... That was a nice episode!

I just can't find sense in what Garin just did, be he an innocent or a werecreature. It looks quite incomprehensible whatever way I try to look at it.

If he is a were-faithful he must be the jumpiest one I've ever seen... If he is an innocent he is the most confused. And still earlier in the day he seemed to be perfectly sensible.

Why did he wish to jump on me out of the blue as he clearly had no points against me? And why did he have to cover it up to that confusing theorizing? Well, there was already Mänwe's vote and SPaM's twisted interpretations. Was he hoping to put the ball rolling but when confronted withdrew because he realised how bad he would look toMorrow if I would have been lynched? A werecreature might be that jumpy. At least as he seemed to have been in a hurry (RL) and had to make a rushed decision...

I need to think again.

EDIT: X'd from SPaM on...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #87
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I remember Garin being most perplexing the last time we played ...nothing has changed... that was very peculiar ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #88
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
OK. For the second time today, I was not “taking things out of proportion” when I made this comment. I was merely noting that it seemed rather odd to be criticising people for not having posted yet when we were only just over three hours into the game (and in the middle of the night, for some people). The points that I had in mind in particular in making this statement were the following.
You had the unfortunate responsibility of being the Mirth Mod when the ugly incident went down about playing styles, and niceness, and respect, etc, so you know how Nogrod and I are when we are "berating" anyone. Not only that, but you had time to comment on these before you did so, and yet you waited until Manwe made his case. Convenient, because if Nogrod is lynched and found innocent, the first perspon everyone will look to is Manwe, not you.

Quote:
I never said that you did. Indeed, I don’t think that I accused anyone of “jumping” on Glirdan. Nogrod’s early statements concerning Glirdan’s (only) post did, however, arouse my suspicions. He repeated them above, but I shall set them out here for ease of reference:
I was responding to Manwe when I said that. You know as well as I do that Nogrod's "case" (if it cam be called that) against Glirdan is standard for early in the Day, not having much to go on, and throwing things out there to be discussed. In fact, Manwe did the very same thing, albeit in a far bolder and tactless manner. You find those who jumped on Manwe for such behavior suspicious. Is it so surprising that I do the same?

Quote:
Glirdan’s first post is nothing more than an “I’m here, but have nothing much to say”. Now, while this sort of post does annoy me, I am not inclined to view it as sinister, taken alone. Nogrod, however, referred to him as “the most suspicious one” (at that, admittedly early, stage) and categorised it as “bad to be sure”. Yes, he said he wanted to hear more from Glirdy. But, if Glirdan was identified as a possible Day 1 target by the Faithfuls, then this was an appropriate time, from their perspective, to start sowing the seeds of doubt in him. (Emphais mine)
That's a big IF. Yes, early targeting is a tactic, but in order to see Nogrod's posts as such, you'd have to pre-assume him guilty. If he's innocent, it makes sense as an attempt to look at what was available and make a statement about it.

Quote:
Trust is a difficult thing to come by in this game, so I would not expect you to trust me. But, I should be grateful if you would explain your reasoning further. I have said nothing other than that which I intended to say, and mean. My “case” against Nogrod, which actually amounts to finding him one of the two most suspicious villagers at this stage, is based upon the various points identified in my previous post which, while seemingly innocuous when taken individually, are sufficient to arouse my suspicions when taken together.
Of course you say what you intend- you're subtle and clever with words. (Lawyer :P ) That's why I look for subtleties (such as making Nogrod seem unreasonable, or as though he is behaving in a manner not typical to him.)

Quote:
I hope that clarifies.
It does, but not what you intended to clarify.

Quote:
Your “case” against Manwe, already an early contender for possible lynching, in turn troubles me, Roa.
No explanation as to why? Such a shame, since expect the same from evryone else. (Except Manwe, whose case you've latched onto and are attempting to bolster.)

Quote:
However, I still find Rikae, with her hasty vote for him, the most suspicious among those agitating against him, so my main suspicions remain with her and Nogrod. And I cannot believe that both you and Nogrod are Faithfuls. Melkor help us if you are.
How convenient that you have a fall back lynchee. This way you can back out and vote for either of them to avoid the suspicion of lynching an innocent.

EDIT: X'd with everyone since SPM's last post.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 02-26-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #89
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'm a bit troubled by SPaM. But probably not enough to vote for him toDay. He would make a fine were-faithful and a darn good cobbler (I remember that one still... ) but lynching him with no better points than what I have now I find a bit too risky. If he's innocent he surely is an asset to us all.

Garin is another one I suspect somewhat. But there's something rotten in that whole affair I just can't pin down.

Rikae's vote-post did raise my eyebrows too and I would be very glad to hear something from her before the Day ends.

But as SPaM reminded me about my post last night (RL) I might also go for someone who has not contributed as the time comes. A contributing villager I think is much more fun to play with than a non-poster.

Happily there's time still.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #90
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've only had a chance to skim and so far the thing that has really caught my attention is Rikae's vote. I'm going to read through the posts I've missed and I will hopefully get through them all before I have to return to class.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #91
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, I've been sleeping - and then I've been in school. What can I say? I voted early because (as I said on the admin thread before the game started, I believe), I wasn't sure if I would make it back in time to vote again, plus we have retractable votes. Manwe looked the most suspicious at that point.

In regard to the rest of the day's posts, I have just one thing I'd like to mention:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I think I now understand how important is that all people post, because otherwise there is nothing to learn. And who sits and says nothing, is likely a wolf (err, Faithful) - or in worse case, he is a villager (who is not worth anything for the community, if I say it very nastily).
No, Legate. In the worst case, he is a gifted. Surely you know that...

I really don't have anything else to say at the moment, although I will be around, and may well change my vote - although it doesn't look as if it will matter. Manwe, as I said, seemed like the only lead at the time, but that means little, so early. In fact, it does seem that the most suspicious person on day one usually turns out to be innocent. I'm watching everyone closely... but I think I'll avoid naming other suspects just yet. As someone once said I'll wait for them to incriminate themselves further...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #92
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Hmmm I am at loss about what to do. . .

so far my thoughts are mostly directed at 5 people

Garin - Goes with out saying. . .it was very odd and I cannot figure out what that means.
Mänwe - Had some weird reasoning going or at least was just hard to understand. . .
Brinniel - Her reaction to Hookbill was quite odd
Legate - Legate's involvment in the Hookbill affair seemed somewhat fake. . .like he was trying very hard to become some sort of mediator
Holby - As I said before her quietness revoked bad memories, but I am feeling more easy about her now.

I will probably vote for one of these soon

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #93
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
What can I say? I voted early because (as I said on the admin thread before the game started, I believe), I wasn't sure if I would make it back in time to vote again
I could not find this on the admin thread.

As it is, neither Rikae nor Mithalwen has convinced me of their innocence. The evidence against them seems greater than the evidence pointing to their innocence.

However, Garin is the person who stands out most today after his voting. What on Arda was that? First he voted with no justification, then he backed down under pressure. If he is not a Faithful, he must be Tar-Miriel (after a quick sex-change, of course). The sooner we rid ourselves of him the better.

++GARIN

This is my last post today. Farewell.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #94
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I was hoping to hang around till the end, but I have to be leaving.

So far, my top suspects are Garin and SPM. Garin, for that weird display before he left, and SPM for everything I've alread stated. (Because, Annatar knows Nogrod's never acted like that before. Ever. Nope. Totally anti-Nogrod. [And yes, that was sarcasm.]

Tempting as it is to vote Garin, I'm going to let him slide on the possibility that he may have been rushed. For now. That doesn't mean that I won't be looking at him later.

++SPM

Hopefully I'll see you on the Morrow.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #95
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I could not find this on the admin thread.
I went back and looked and you're right - I said "Tuesday and Thursday".
Mondays vary - believe me or not, but I couldn't be sure if I'd get a chance to vote; I suppose I should have said so.

Last edited by Rikae; 02-26-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: I couldn't leave it that way. Using the phrase "or not" twice in one sentence is an abomination!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #96
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Looking at Rikae's vote and reason for voting for Manwe, I can see her logic. The thing that gets me is how close her vote is to Durelin's vote for Manwe. I'm not sure what to think of how Rikae voted. I hope she comes on before Day ends, though it seems unlikely since her vote was cast so early.

I'm glad to see Manwe addressed my questions and concerns and I understand his reasoning behind the four he picked in earlier posts (Nogrod, Roa, SpM, and myself). I feel somewhat better about Manwe when he's not dancing around a topic and avoiding answering questions.

I find this rather interesting, Glirdan's first post seemed very Glirdan to me. It was short and was of no use to anyone, but Nogrod jumped on it as alienated and distant from the village, sort of a forced response. Yet Gil-Galad's first post was much the same as Glirdan's, unhelpful and short, yet no one jumped on him as Glirdan was jumped on.

I'm wondering about this talk of Manwe being, ruthless (started by Legate I believe). I'm not sure if "harsh" is how I'd label him.

But what raises my eyebrow more is Garin's vote for Nogrod. Then a few posts later he switches to Rikae. First he voted for someone who was considered suspcious, but had not yet gained any votes, then he switches to someone who already has a vote and votes for her in a "safe vote" way. A safe vote being what he criticized her for in the first place.

Argh, I must run off to class and need to vote now. While Rikae's vote worries me (mainly due to the closeness of it to Durelin's) I am more uncomfortable with Garin and his vote.

++ Garin

His vote for Nogrod seemed odd. He had a case going against Rikae, but decided not to vote for her because it could be viewed as a safe vote. I feel that the vote for Nogrod could be seen as an equally safe vote. However a few posts later he changes his mind and switches the vote to Rikae. I'm confused by his actions and am somewhat alarmed by them.

Edit: cross-posted with Rikae, TGWBS, Rune, and Roa
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #97
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

For the Mod God's convenience

Durlein -> Manwe
Rikae -> Manwe
Manwe -> Nogrod
Thin -> Rikae
Garin -> Nogrod
Garin -> (-Nogord) Rikae
Briniel -> Rikae
TGWBS -> Garin
Roa -> SPM
Kitanna -> Garin

Rikae 3, Manwe 2, Garin 2, SPM 1, Nogrod 1

Left to vote:

Gil-Galad
Glirdan
Holbytlass
Hookbill the Goomba
Kath
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Rune Son of Bjarne
The Saucepan Man

Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #98
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I am not sure I will have a chance to check again before deadline so I have to cast my vote now. . .I would like to vote Legate, more or less on a gut feeling, but I do not want to spread the vote more around so I will have to go for Garin, I think him more likely to be wolf than Mänwe.

++Garin

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #99
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
You had the unfortunate responsibility of being the Mirth Mod when the ugly incident went down about playing styles, and niceness, and respect, etc, so you know how Nogrod and I are when we are "berating" anyone.
By "berating", I did not mean to imply that either you or Nogrod where being offensive in the terms of the incident you refer to, and I apologise if it came across that way. My intention was merely to note as interesting (and, potentially, a relevant consideration) your seeming annoyance that so few were posting at that early stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
I was responding to Manwe when I said that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
As to my accusers, (Manwe and SPM, and anyone else who I missed).

I never "jumped on" Glirdan.
I understood from the latter that you were also responding to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
That's a big IF.
Of course it is. But I was considering it in the context of the other points that I have raised. The point has been made that there is generally very little to go on on Day 1. I have been doing no more than outlining the points that I have found suspicious today. Of course I cannot be sure that my suspicions are well-founded. No one can (with one possible exception).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
No explanation as to why?
For the same reason that I regard the others who have been busy making cases against Manwe as suspicious. He presented himself as an easy target in the opening stages. He may well be a Faithful, or a Cobbler, for all I know. But I don't get that impression from what he has posted so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa
It does, but not what you intended to clarify.
You seem to have made your mind up. There is little more that I can add to what I have said already.

Quote:
I'm a bit troubled by SPaM. But probably not enough to vote for him toDay. He would make a fine were-faithful and a darn good cobbler (I remember that one still... ) but lynching him with no better points than what I have now I find a bit too risky. If he's innocent he surely is an asset to us all.
I could well say the same about you. But, then again, the point equally applies to Rikae, my other main suspect today.

As for others who are bubbling in my suspicions:

Garin: It practically goes without saying that his behaviour over the Nogrod/Rikae vote was odd. But then, as Mith has noted, Garin is a specialist at looking guilty when he's innocent.

Holby: Posting enough to be noticed, but saying very little. It's normal for her to be relatively quiet, but she's deadly with it when she's a Wolf (or, in current terminology, a Faithful). I'm keeping an eye on her.

Brinniel/Hookbill: That little exchange was interesting, but I'm prepared to put it down to a reaction to misunderstood banter - for now.

Mithalwen: For reasons earlier noted, although I am inclined to take her explanation at face value for the time being.

Still, Nogrod and Rikae remain foremost in my suspicions. It's a difficult one, since both would be a great loss, if innocent (or should I say, corrupt ). But Rikae's seeming enthusiasm for promoting the (then) gathering Manwe bandwaggon looks the more suspicious to me. And I find the explanation unconvincing. There was a large part of the Day to go when she voted.

++RIKAE
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #100
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe

Aaahh! I really don't want to vote because I have no idea who to vote for.
But since time is running out I'll have to make a decision...

Garin's actions were odd, yes, but for now I shall put it down to either sloppy thinking or... I don't know... Gnomes. I can't vote for him now because there really isn't enough evidence to support a lynching. I think that whoever I vote for will probably be wrong so I'll have to go with my first instincts.

Manwe acted rather oddly and I must say relatively weirdly. I don't know the fellow well enough to gage weather or not it is his usual style or not or weather I am basing it all on because he said I was shifty... but I really do not have a theory at the moment so...

++ Manwe

Sorry, Manwe, I'm really stuck for ideas. If you get lynched and I'm wrong... I'll give you a pot 'o golds.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #101
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I must register disagreement with some of this post of Roa's.

Wolves will usually refrain from killing an ordinary innocent who is garnering suspicion since it indeed shields them and they aren't going to waste a night kill on someone who they have a chance of getting lynched. However I would be astonished is wolves let anyone they suspected of being a gifted survive - unless it was the Hunter.

Well someone has to look at Roa....

Old 02-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #102
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I agree with Mith; Roa's comment looks either poorly thought out or deliberately misleading. Since we're talking about Roa, we can obviously leave out the first option...
Old 02-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #103
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

One thing that kind of bothers me - I tend to get this nagging feeling everytime the Day starts to draw near to an end - that maybe the werecreatures play exactly the way I think they should play if they were to win nicely. I mean being non-confrontational and relaxed, out of everyone's minds and eyes, far away from the center of discussion where the innocents bite each other.

If I ask this question from myself I must say that quite many of us do qualify. It is quite funny that although we all know this we still go with those who arouse the most discussion.

It's probably a bit too late to turn the pile upside down and start looking at it anew. Although with nine votes left (+retrackies) everything is open in principle.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #104
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I wish Lalaith had posted more - her single post has made me uneasy because I am not sure she would misconstrue it accidentally.

Manwe
- well it can be dangerous to give people the benefit of the doubt but he just seems new to me..... but of course he might also be a new wolf...

Rikae dear ...... I have to go and see why everyone else finds you suspicious - I will be very careful before I give you the benefit of the doubt again...

A first day vote for the Pan Man would be traditional but this squabbling between him and Roa is puzzling. But if I were going to choose the two players most likely to argue the toss.....(well Nog would also be a challenger )but....

This is hard. Everyone apart from the Might who seems to have withdrawn definitely has posted but not enough to fully get a handle on.

This village is much quieter than I expected.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #105
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
++Garin
Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #106
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm back. Things aren't quite as bad as I thought (I was fully expecting 5-6 pages a la duelling wizards) but still there's a lot of catching up to do.
I have no idea at this stage who is and isn't a Faithful. But I've got a hunch about Tar-Cobbler.
I like not this:
Quote:
Although quite frankly I'm not sure who we're to pray to.
This may of course be a passing comment, but really, those of us who are true Numenoreans are quite sure who to pray to - the great Annatar. Could this be a leetle smokesignal to those wretched werefaithfuls?
So, with so little to go on, I will cast a vote 'gainst heresy,

++HOLBYTLASS

Oh and two more thoughts:
All these quarrels and squabbles. There are those who like to pass the first day or so in this fashion and so be it, life's rich tapestry, blah blah. Nothing wrong with that. But what I don't like is rows that appear from nowhere and then miraculously blow over with no trace. Tis a wolvish trick, I think.
I also agree with Garin, the wolves, being four, may well be preparing an early sacrifice.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #107
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I might let my vote stand where it is, as though I find Rikae and Garin to be acting oddly, I don't feel like I have enough to go on them. Well, not that I really have enough to go on with Manwe, either. I know a lot of people have been overlooked by all of us, but especially when you have this many people in a village, if you try and look at everyone you'll just confuse yourself! Or, I will. If anyone thinks they can do it, please go right ahead.

Related to that note, I do agree with you, Mith, about Roa. She's loud and seems dying to lynch SPaM, but she hasn't gotten much notice. She calls him grasping, but I think surely the same could be said of her. We're all grasping for something, because someone's getting lynched, and we're trying our darnedest to get a baddie! And considering it's Day 1, there's not much to grab on to.

But as I said, Day 1, 21? villagers...insane.

Sorry, TGWBS, I totally missed this from earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
Why were you worried by Glirdan not saying much, but not Kath?
Only because he was rather hypocritical. Kath made no remark about how more people should be talking, while Glirdan said "ooo, no posting going on" and "I hope there's more posting when I return" but did nothing about that. Perhaps he was not as negative about it as I likely read into his post, but...it just stood out to me more than Kath's post did. And since then, she has at least contributed some. Though, now that I think on it...I recall her posting and making remarks, but nothing really stands out to me. Makes we wonder if she's trying to maintain a helpful presence while not really making any points and/or accusations, to try and remain safe. I may be remembering completely wrong...I need to go through her posts again...

Hookbill brings up an interesting point about Manwe here that I missed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwe
I am glad you see sense and agree with me. Has he been in your mind of late?
Now, the main reason I've refrained from joining these games is because I'm not too good a judge of character and I tend not to read into what people say... but it seems to me that you are hinting at Old Saucepan 'O as being a what do you call it... seer or whatever. Surely suggesting it would put him in danger and we would want to keep him in case he proves helpful, and shouting, "I say! I think he's the seer" will surely either lead the wolves / Were Faithfuls onto him. So... bad form old chap...
Bad form indeed. Makes me think he might be the Cobbler, rather than a Were-Faithful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwe
And I still want to see Nogrod lynched.
I've always disliked those sorts of remarks. People are deemed suspicious often by their "waffling" or by seeming to be uncertain, but certainty, feigned or unfeigned, bothers me. So Roa's posts have been bothering me, but I believe that to be her style. Still, style or not, I will not dismiss it.

Argh, but Nogrod brings up a good point - one I quite agree with, and I believe touched on earlier. We always go after the same people, the ones that are perhaps "easy targets." I'm sure part of it is that we all (well, most of us) want to survive, at least for a few Days. But does that mean the "easy targets" necessarily aren't baddies? I tend to dismiss bold people as likely innocents, and I feel like that's a bad habit, though going after only the bold ones is one, too.

Ah, Middle Road, where have you gone? Oh, yeah...this is WW.

Nogrod - You suggested the possibility of looking at things anew. Any new thoughts?

Edit: Crossed with Holby, Lalaith
Old 02-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #108
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A few comments on some people I haven't yet have time to look at closer...

I'm a bit puzzled by the way Roa has played toDay. I mean she seems to defend me in every corner. That makes one uneasy. Or maybe she's using me just as her hobby-horse to go after Spm? Anyhow that I need to think toMorrow if I'm still around.

Another one who puzzles me a bit is tgwbs as I think I have agreed with almost everything he's said toDay. That also makes me worried as I see that through agreement I'm getting to trust him.

Kath I'm afraid as I always seem to be. She has posted little hanging under every radar just to possibly sting when the time is ripe. She knows how to do that.

------

And an update on voting:
Durelin -> Manwe
Rikae -> Manwe (Mänwe2)
Manwe -> Nogrod (Mänwe2, Nogrod1)
Thinlomien -> Rikae (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae1)
Garin - > Nogrod (Mänwe2, Nogrod2, Rikae1)
Garin - - Nogrod (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae1)
Garin - > Rikae (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae2)
Brinniel - > Rikae (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae3)
Tgwbs - > Garin (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae3, Garin1)
Roa - > Spm (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae3, Garin1, Spm1)
Kitanna - > Garin (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae3, Garin2, Spm1)
Rune - > Garin (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae3, Garin3, Spm1)
Spm - > Rikae (Mänwe2, Nogrod1, Rikae4, Garin3, Spm1)
Hookbill - > Mänwe (Mänwe3, Nogrod1, Rikae4, Garin3, Spm1)
Holby - > Garin (Mänwe3, Nogrod1, Rikae4, Garin4, Spm1)
Lalaith - > Holby (Mänwe3, Nogrod1, Rikae4, Garin4, Spm1, Holby1)
Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #109
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

It's funny how prophetic the first post turned out to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Given we don't want to force gifteds to out themselves to save their necks or to out those we think may be gifted in order to defend them, we should remember that that gifteds as well as wolves are liable to give out an "odd" vibe
And here you are about to lynch your seer.

Sorry if this is premature, but with 20 minutes left I didn't dare wait any longer.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #110
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Oh lord, I knew this was going to be off to a bad start...

--Manwe

++Garin
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #111
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Rikae I believe would fight back if she'd be a werecreature. So how she is that calm and quiet?
---
Look what I wrote before I saw what Rikae told us just a minute ago!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #112
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh £$%^$$£££ Who best to vote for since the people who I suspect most aren'tthose who others do ..not convinced of Manwe or Garin's guilt but we need our seer ..... arrrgh

Old 02-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #113
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. From between Garin and Mänwe I'd think Mänwe not being a were-faithful (too reckless for that) but possibly a cobbler. There is something cobbleresque in his one track mind stuff...

Garin is just a mystery to me still. A very-very jumpy wolf or just a plain innocent who always gets lynched? Or now as he finally is a werecreature he's even more jumpy than normally?

Oh my.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #114
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

It's not that bad - at least I'm not the ranger!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #115
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Rikae was a very bold wolf last time but...... if she is lying she will get found out ere long and if she tells the truth she will be needed...

Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #116
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Please Mith, if you have any fresh ideas tell us... although I know the history of last minute "fresh ideas" as they tend to turn out into disasters more often than not if they are taken in at last minutes.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #117
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Had a few moments and thought I'd check up on the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
And here you are about to lynch your seer.
Well, that's great.

I'll solve the dilema for you.

--SPM

++Garin

He's the one tied with Rikae, after all.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #118
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ok Rikae, I'll buy what you've said. Now, given you've had a dream already, tell us what you've seen. In your opinion, is it ok to switch to Garin?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #119
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Actually sorry, arrgh, what was I thinking.

The Ranger will protect you tonight and then the wolves will kill the known innocent. DON'T tell us the known innocent if you have one.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #120
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Just to that "Legate is pushing himself in the Hookbill issue" thing, I was merely wanting to comment the few posts which have been before me, between my last post and that one, and it was not supposed to be the main point of my post, the main part of my post was the rest.

Since much has happened here since my last post, and since it is not much time of daylight left, I am not given much time to rething everything properly and less yet to post some more ideas here. The main concern is now to vote, right? Well, I have the same feeling like writing a test at school, that type of test where you have to mark correct answer, and you don't have a clue and must choose. In these cases, although the answer which seems most likely to me might not be correct, I'd rather be mistaken by choosing what seems likely to me than make a stupid mistake by choosing something which even seems less likely to me. Therefore, I stand with my early suspicion, at least I was more sure at that point than I am now.

++Mänwe
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote