The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
WWJ XI: When Worlds Collide

It was a calm, peaceful night in Beleriand. Perhaps to peaceful. Almost as if the calm before the storm. A calm that always gave off a false sense of security. Everyone in Beleriand felt safe, well, as safe as one could get in these troubled times. Everyone, that is, except two young Elves. They might have been young and foolhardy, but that didn't mean they were as easily persuadable by the calmness and beauty of this warm summers night. They, unlike the rest of Beleriand, were ready for a sudden attack from the North.

"We have to do something," the first Elf whispered quietly.

"I know, but what can we do?" the second asked.

The first sat there, for a time being, thinking of anything they could do. "I have it!" he cried suddenly.

"Would you be quiet!?" the second whispered hastily. "You might attract his spies. We don't want that now do we?" she asked. They both shuddered violently, remembering the stories that were told of what became of King Felagund in the pits of Tol-in-Gaurhoth. "So, what's this plan you have?"

The first shook himself out of his reverie. "You know that thing we found awhile back?"

"What thing? The tele-"

"Yes! That thing! Well, I was thinking, what if we used it to travel Arda and search for the bravest and most courageous folk we find then we-"

"I get it now! Sounds good! But who shall go and prep the-"

"I will. You gather the folk we need and bring them back here. Make sure you drug them so they don't remember what happened."

"Sounds good to me. Well, goodbye and good luck."

"You too. We'll need it..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Players: I will be sending out invitations to all the preivous mods and co-mods of the Junior games. I will give them until the 12th too respond unless I get answers back before then. After that, I shall open up this thread to the rest of the public for signing up. I would like at least a minimum of 17 players. However, I will accept more than that which will incorporate little surprises in the game which shall be revealed as the game progresses. For the invitees, please pop by the thread and leave your occupation and gender.

Roles: I would like, if there are seventeen players, the following roles incorporated:

3 Wolves
1 Seer
1 Hunter (?)
1 Ranger (?)
10 Ordinary Villagers

However, as said above, I may incoporate other roles depending. This, however will be kept a surprise until the game actually starts. However, that also really depends on the number of people playing.

Rules: ~In this game, players should stay in their chosen roles throughout the game and should write descriptively and in the third person. No out of character comments will be permitted. If there is something out of character you need to say, please do so in the admin thread for this game. Please avoid the use of smileys and be sure to remove your signature from your posts. I shall change mine until the game starts so there will be a link to this thread. After the game starts, I shall remove my signature.

Please note, however, that this game is not an RPG and should not be confused with the RPGs that take place in the Shire and Rohan sub-forums. Other than as stated above, the rules and guidelines applicable in those sub-forums do not apply to this game, but they remain fully applicable in the RPG forums.

~I will allow Double postings, but I want you all to try and refrain from it.

~ I have already pre-decided that I will NOT allow Double or Mass lynchings. I have personal vendetta against them and I know a lot of other people who would say no to them as well.

~ I'm considering retractable votes. If you have a preference, please let me know.

~ If you are going to refer to a past game, please do so by saying "According to my books of lore..." or something along those lines.

~ If a player does not vote or post for two Days straight, you WILL be lynched unless there is a valid reason for your absence. If you can't get on for some reason, please notify someone immediately to let me know.

~ Once you're dead, you're dead. Don't talk about the game in other threads, don't send PM's to live players and please refrain from repping until the end of the game.

One final note

Because the role-play element of this game is to apply throughout, you need somewhere to congregate. So, I have come up with the idea of have Wilwa (my dead co-mod) being the bartender. Now, I know this has never been done before, but listen before you flip. I will have her as an active member in the game. Yes, it's true that she will know who's who, but, she will not be posting unless it's to give someone a drink or something (got that Wilwa?) However, I was thinking that maybe we could make her just as oblivious as everyone else (except the Wolves of course) yet she doesn't get attacked. However, I think the first idea will work a lot better. So, give me your thoughts on that as well.

The invites shall be sent out breifly. Until you get your invite or until I open the thread to the public, please do not post on this thread. Thank you for your co-operation.

Last edited by Glirdan; 08-29-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

This thread is now open for signing up. Please remember to put you occupation and gender in your post. Thank you.

Players:

Valesse - f - Apple Fritterer - Mouth of the Anduin - Race: Enwife - First Age
Gil - m - Crazy Chef - Glittering Caves - Race: Dwarfs - Fourth Age
Valier - f - storyteller - Near the banks of the river Ringlo - Race: Men - Third Age?
Naria - f - Haradrim warrior - Harad - Race: Men - Third Age?
Diamond - f - ascetic - Long Cleeve - Race: Hobbits - Third Age
JennyHallu - f - charming, attractive and terribly successful thief - Minas Tirith - Race: Men - Third Age
Nogrod - m - Weed-dealer - Hardondor, south of Umbar - Race: Southron Man - Third Age
Boro - m - a searcher of Death/Plague - Dale - Race: Men - Third Age
Sleepy Ranger - m - Exiled Ranger - Arnor - Race: Dunedain - Third Age
Lommy - f - Stablehand - Race: Sindarin Elf - Doriath - First Age
Menel - m - Ranger of the North - Race Dunedain - Hills of Evendim - Fourth Age
Macalaure - m - Wainrider - Eastern Middle Earth - Easterling - Third Age
Volo - m - Bad Innkeeper - Rohan - Race: Men - Third Age
Kath - f - Food Taster - Hobbiton - Race: Hobbits - Third Age

Last edited by Glirdan; 08-29-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Is this now the admin thread, then?

I'd like to sign up. I'm a female, and I'm a charming, attractive, and terribly successful thief from...um...Minas Tirith? How canonical do you need? And if you're canonical, what age? You did mention Beleriand...
Old 07-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So are we to all be Men then? Or should I say of the race of Men.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

No Valier, it's any gender you want. If you're a female and want to be male, be my guest!!! Anything, you choose.

Jenny, thank you. I did specify Beleriand. However, there is something that will make this game seem a little far-fetched (I still haven't been able to perfect the beginning of this, so please bear with me). So, because of that little something, this game will seem a little more out there and a little more, shall we say, sci-fi at the start than fantasy. So, if you want to be from Minas Tirith or any other 3rd Age realm and loacation, or even before 1st Age location, that is fine with me. I shall incorporate it into the story someway.

Last edited by Glirdan; 07-12-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
::Uses the jedi mindtrick::

The game is not to start until the start of August. . .

(don't worry I will delete this soon, just wanted to show my disapointment)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I should have made myself more clear....are we all to be humans? as in not Elves or Dwarves or Hobbits?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Rune!! I know what you mean... I was looking forward to having you as my backup mod, I really was. But this game needs to get underway.

Valier, it doesn't matter what race or gender you would like to be. Just let me know if you're are going to be something other than a man because if you don't specify, I will take it that you are of the race of Men.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Ok I am female......I am a human......and I am from Gondor.....I am...Ummm a storyteller. Ya that works. I hope this is ok....
Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Any place specific in Gondor?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

How about near the banks of the river Ringlo?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Sounds good.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #13
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Saucy, the rules have been re-moddified as suugested. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Thanks Glirdan.

Just to be clear, and so no one misses it, the essential element is the following:

Quote:
Please note, however, that this game is not an RPG and should not be confused with the RPGs that take place in the Shire and Rohan sub-forums. Other than as stated above, the rules and guidelines applicable in those sub-forums do not apply to this game, but they remain fully applicable in the RPG forums.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #15
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Now that things have....calmed down in ww; I will accept your invitation Glirdy.

I was wondering if I could be a female Haradrim....ya know the "people" that ride the elephants. I don't know where I would come from though. My maps don't show anything far enough South.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Coupla questions:

Is this still starting on the 17th?

And, do all our posts have to be in third person, i.e.

Diamond walked into the bar, ordered a beer, and said, "Blah blah blah Ginger blah blah blah."

As opposed to just saying:

Blah blah blah Ginger blah blah blah.

?

edit: Oh, and is it okay to be a hobbit?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #17
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Naria, I believe the location would be Harad that you are looking for. Thanks for joining!

Di, here are your questions answered in order:

1) I'm not sure if it will be the 17th exact. We don't exactly have enough people to start it then so it may be later. How much later, I'm not sure.

2) Yes, all posts are to be in third person. Read the rules in the first post as I have (with Saucy's aid of course ) fixed them up.

3) Yes, it is quite fine if you're a Hobbit.

Now, a note to everyone: You can choose any race from any Age. I have a way to incorporate it into my story line.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #18
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Hah! Alright... I'll be an old Entwife from the first age! Travelling up from the Mouth of the Anduin.. so obviously I'm female... As for a career I shall be the "Apple Fritter". A fiend only so fiendish as to shamelessly swipe apple products.

This game is going to be great!

Last edited by Valesse; 07-15-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
1) I'm not sure if it will be the 17th exact. We don't exactly have enough people to start it then so it may be later. How much later, I'm not sure.
If you happen to not have enough players by July 21st or something, you could count me in, but only if it actually starts around then and is not a big game (I'll have to leave for a youth-camp at July 28th). So with all the warning-signs on, you might count me in to the "possibles", but that really is higly dependent on the exact dates the game is going to take place...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #20
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Alrighty then, I will be a female hobbit who is an ascetic. That's right. I don't believe in drinking, smoking, dancing, or eating to excess. I'm not even sure I approve of all that long curly hair. Oh, and I'll be from Long Cleeve.

Any word on the deadline time?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #21
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Deadline time hey? Well, not really. Times will really flucutuate because I won't have computer access all the time. But I was hoping for something like 12:00pm -5GMT.

And thank you for joining Diamond.

Might I also add that the deadline time may change...

Also, with those with question marks who have signed up, please confirm with me if that is right.

Last edited by Glirdan; 07-14-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:05 AM   #22
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*seriously considers reviving Green Dragon character from two years ago*
*decides against it*
*considers it again*
*decides to revive with some modifcations*

So, female, Numenorean (now from Minas Tirith) and... former Ranger turned.... Merchant.

Will that do?

Also, could someone kindly explain the Bear? I'm not sure how it works, and I could seem to find an adequate description on the main thread.

EDIT: Glirdan, if we can't go beyind double posting, does that mean we edit new thoughts in, or do we have to wait for someone else to post?

And, I would be for the first option with Wilwa- I don't really think it would be fair to have an unkillable known innocent running around helping out. So, yeah, stick with the NPC game on that one.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 07-17-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #23
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Will that do?
Absolutely fine by me.

Quote:
Also, could someone kindly explain the Bear? I'm not sure how it works, and I could seem to find an adequate description on the main thread.
It would be my pleasure. The Bear works the same way as the Wolves (kills one person each Night and tries to blend in during the Day). The only difference is that he/she works alone. This is why I am hoping for at least 20 people to play. If not, I'm going to reduce the Wolves to 2.

Quote:
EDIT: Glirdan, if we can't go beyind double posting, does that mean we edit new thoughts in, or do we have to wait for someone else to post?
I said I would allow Double posting, but I would like it if you tried to incorporate all your thoughts in that first post. If you remember something, you may double post or wait until someone else posts to make it seem realistic (this last one I strongly encourage you to follow through with).

I hope that helped clear things up!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #24
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I've decided to get back into another game here, now that I have plenty of time on my hands. This looks interesting Glirdan...so interesting that I am going to be a:

Male
Human from Dale
and occupation, a searcher of Death/Plague. (Bring out your dead anyone? )
Old 07-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #25
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
::Uses the jedi mindtrick::

The game is not to start until the start of August. . .
You know, I'm starting to think there's something in that Jedi Mind Trick of Rune's.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #26
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I'm starting to think we may have to go on a WW hiatus here... there's really nobody signing up for the games....I'm thinking that this game might not be starting for quite sometime...which really makes me sad because I was looking forward to it... So, we have a predicament...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #27
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

This game has 13 players right now, which would be enough for a small, no frills game, but if want to play with the Werebear (which I'd like to) I suppose we will have to just wait.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 PM   #28
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

How, may I ask, did you get 13? I only counted 7 deffinents(sp?). Oh well...besides the point.

I really do want to have the Bear make a comeback so we're going to need moer than 13. I'm guessing that any WW game may have to be put on hold until September when all the members who don't have school at this time comeback and may be interested. I don't know. For now, I shall sleep on it.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #29
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Er, well, I counted everyone listed in your post regardless of question mark, but then counted Jenny and Roa twice because their "bios" took up two lines.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #30
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Ahh!! Okay. Just wondering.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #31
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
That's fine with me because I'm having internet difficulties at the moment anyway.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #32
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
has it started yet?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #33
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Nope. Like I said earlier on: hiatus till September. However, I'm still letting people sign up for it.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #34
Gil-Galad

well i got an invitation so count me in yo...
Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #35
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Okay. So give me gender, race, occupation, location and which age you're coming from.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #36
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
Okay. So give me gender, race, occupation, location and which age you're coming from.

Race: Numenorean

EDIT: maybe even Black Numenorean to spice things up
Old 07-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #37
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Okay, added all the info. Thanks for joining!!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #38
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Well, you can sign me up for now. I might have to pull out depending on when we actually get started. But I'll be the following:

Race: Easterling
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm ready to be counted in too, without the question mark.

But if you Glirdy are missing a few players and Sleepy seems to be missing even more, couldn't you two just combine your effort?

As it seems, there is no great rush to WW-games right now, so why not to combine the games and get started in a week or two?

Maybe taking the basic-structure of your game (more people involved) and adding the minor chance of a villager surviving the attack (as was the new idea of Sleepy), or something?

So here we go:

Race: southron
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #40
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Actually, what Nogrod proposes seems like a good idea to me. If we merge the two games and add Sleepy's players to Glirdan's, we should have enough to start a decent game as it is. If that doesn't work out and Sleepy's game doesn't make it off the ground, though, I'll be signing up here.