The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #41
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

It’s amusing looking at how people have described my voice.
In fact I've been told I have a very 'posh' accent. Of this, I am proud! What, what?

Okay;

The Barrow Wight is like the Witch King on the BBC Dramatization of The Lord of the Rings!

The Saucepan man
has a Brian Blessed like voice!

Nilp has the voice of a Scots man.

Gil-Gallad has the voice of Michel Moor.

Now I'm going to hide from the impending wroth of those who are about to attack me for this post!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #42
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Heren Istarion has an Italian accent. Yup. Aware he isn't Italian and so this is, at the very least, a little doubtful, but hey. See, I did a scuba diving course this week when I was on holiday, and on the second day he created the heavens and the...sorry, distracted. Ahem, sorry, on the second day, there was a scuba diver who looked so very, very like our dear H-I; so much so that I was actually tempted to sort of subtly mutter 'George' or 'Heren' when I passed him: that is just how convinced I was.

...and the I passed him a regulator and he replied with 'gratsia'. Ah. Not H-I then. But nevertheless, it is the voice H-I has now inherited - and a damn good voice it is as well.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #43
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
The B-W sounds just like my uncle, who he looks uncannily like.

H-I sounds like one of the Beatles. I think I got this impression due to the fact that he has a very Beatle-esque haircut.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #44
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
SpM has neither a very deep voice nor a high voice. His british accent is very light which is appreciated by his American friends.

Mithalwen has a flowery smooth voice that is very soft and soothing.

Kuruharan and a deep and guttural voice that commands respect. He's essentially, in all aspects, a dwarf to me with the lack of facial hair.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #45
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Oromin, if that is indeed your picture on your avatar......you look like a hobbit, my dear! A precious, cute, little hobbit lass! That's great! I just look like a stupid human... -_- *sadness* And not even a pretty stupid human! Just an ugly stupid human!

I always pictured The Saucepan Man looking like Sam with a crazy gleam in his eyes. (I'm sure you're all making the connection: Sam--saucepans? Nothing? He cooks, okay! Jeez...)

With Meneltarmacil, the mention of him sends his RotK Aragorn at the Black Gate avatar into my head. I think you lot know which one I mean.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #46
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Saucepanman changes voices in my head

Let me see yes in the quizroom(most notaly cryptic clues) he has the voice of a pompous British person(only cuz he's intimidating), the rest of the time he's cheery willy wonka(gene wilder)
Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #47
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

I sort of agree with Eomer in a sense. Perhaps each person hears voices in their own unique way. Just like what I see as red being red may look orange to you, if that made any sense at all.

Anyways....
Amanaduial the archer: has a classic feminine voice that is quite common on those American comercials.

Gil-Gallad: sounds pompous and jolly, and has a deep voice.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #48
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Saucie has the voice of the singer of a finnish power metal band Sonata Arctica
Encaitare has a maniac laugh (like Snow-white's stepmother in the Disney movie)
Boromir88 sounds like Sean Bean in LotR
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #49
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Saucie has the voice of the singer of a finnish power metal band Sonata Arctica
Ha ha, that's great! I think that's a compliment, though. Sonata boys themselves claim to be a rock band so it's not anything too high-pitched.

None of you have a voice in my head when I read your posts but this is how I'd imagine you to speak in RL.

I think Esty has a warm and mellow voice but when she gets irritated, her voice becomes rather piercing and a little nasal.

Boromir's voice is very pleasant to listen to and if he sang in a choir, he'd be a Tenor.

Lhuna has a very clear articulation and a girlish laughter.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #50
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree th

Quote:
Boromir88 sounds like Sean Bean in LotR~Thinlomien
Woo, I sound like Sean Bean, my favorite actor (big surprise?). Some have said I do the "Not with 10,000 men could you even do this," very well and sound like him. But, I think anyone can do an English accent, it's one of the more easier accents in my mind.

Quote:
Boromir's voice is very pleasant to listen to and if he sang in a choir, he'd be a Tenor.~Dancing
I assure you, you don't want to hear me sing. Though my voice isn't hideous just talking, it should be pleasant....?

Let's see if I can do this....

Ummm....
Fordim and davem have the voice of one of those Hardvard Grads, you know the..."I'm a graduate of Harrrrrrrvard studying in the degree of lhhhhawww. Whilst driving down the street in my vollllvo...." anyway you get the idea.

Who do I imagine has that "Nu York" accent...I think, Bethberry.

Chekov's accent goes to Meneltarmacil.

And for some reason I think Estel would sound like Darth Vader.

More to come later hopefully.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #51
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Woo!

spawn has a creepy, film-Galadriel-in-green-and-black voice. Because she's a giant spider.

Shelob, too. Though she may have odd growls and snarls and howls at times, being wolf twice an all.

Gurthang and Formendacil has the same voice for me, kinda like how book-Gandalf sounds in my head. A very gruff voice who knows what he's talking about. Must be a testament to how smart--and old-sounding in the forum --these two are.

Quote:
Nilp has the voice of a Scots man. (Hookbill)
The voice of a man who had too much scotch would be closer, perhaps.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:27 AM   #52
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Quote:
The voice of a man who had too much scotch would be closer, perhaps.~Nilp
Ron White perhaps?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #53
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Who do I imagine has that "Nu York" accent...I think, Bethberry.
Oh, he's done it! He's gone and uncloaked me. Yes, it's true. I'm Brenda Morgenstern.

And to return the favour, let me say that Boromir88 does not sound like Sean Bean. Not at all. He's Carlton the Doorman.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #54
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Fordim and davem have the voice of one of those Hardvard Grads, you know the..."I'm a graduate of Harrrrrrrvard studying in the degree of lhhhhawww. Whilst driving down the street in my vollllvo...." anyway you get the idea.
*Fordim spews bits of masticated salad all over his monitor in shock*

Ah, my dear dear B88, you could not be more wrong....

My accent is...well...perhaps this will give you a hint:

When I leev mie hoose, eye am oot and aboot the toon, doont yoo knouw?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #55
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:

My accent is...well...perhaps this will give you a hint:

Any relation to the hill-billy..."Me and my bruther nub. We was feeshin' wun day. Feeshin' for feesh in the watar...."?

Quote:
Oh, he's done it! He's gone and uncloaked me. Yes, it's true. I'm Brenda Morgenstern.~Bethberry
Well, my main reason for thinking the New York accent was because a few days ago I watched My Cousin Vinny. And the actress in that has a huge New York accent...Ya Know. Brenda Morgenstern works though.

Carlton the Doorman, I'm quite honored.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #56
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

You're....scottish?! Well, either that or a born-again Geordie...

Good lord, Bethberry with a New York accent! Shockaroo! Now that I never imagined - you had a rather more...mellifluous voice, if that doesn't sound too predictable: rather like I would imagine an elf speaking, I'm afraid. Say Liv Tyler at her nobler Arwen moments. The song 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square' also comes to mind - just listen to it, it gives some sort of indication of the aura of The Bethberry. But 'Nu Yawk' - never!

Quote:
[Amanaduial] has a classic feminine voice that is quite common on those American comercials.
...not American, so I'm not sure what that would sound like Morai, and for the same reason I find it a little unlikely that I would fit the criteria - but hey, the words 'class feminine' do rather appeal *preens*
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #57
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
a born-again Geordie...
If this means Central (faintly rural) Canadian, then you are correct.

Eh.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #58
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle

Eh.
It...erm...keh.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #59
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Posted by Boro88:

Quote:
And for some reason I think Estel would sound like Darth Vader.
How, err...interesting. I'll make it a point never to let you hear my voice so I don't disappoint you.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #60
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
How, err...interesting. I'll make it a point never to let you hear my voice so I don't disappoint you.~Estel
As you can see I'm horrible at predicting things. Why I made a good Seer, I don't know . Hence, why I don't participate in the "How do you imagine other downers" thread because I am just awful.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 PM   #61
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Leaf Ah.

But I always thought getting it all wrong is half the fun.

For example, if I BDers had an animal sound:
  • Forthim would go 'Arf! Arf!'
  • Kath would go 'Meow!'
  • Lhuny-tunes would go 'Ngaw!' (Big difference from 'Meow!')
  • Nuranar would go 'Boing!'
  • Firefoot would go 'Neigh!'
  • morm would go 'Ook!' (As always. )
  • Menel and Gil-galad would go 'Roar!'

But that's just me!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:13 PM   #62
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye the phantom's two cents...

I can't believe I've never posted on this thread.

- Feanor of the Peredhil -

Fea's voice sounds pleasant for the most part, but has a slight grate to it that gives it an edge (which some consider to be annoying). She has just a twinge of a Northeastern accent.

There is also a vacant, ditzy, teeny-bopper tone that escapes when she gets excited or angry betraying the typical teenage girl that lies at her core- you know, the type that comes equipped with one of those special brains that is impervious to facts, logic, and comments of substance. Fea, however, is pretty good at keeping it a secret due to her time spent with her educated brothers. She has learned to imitate their intelligent sounding vocal mannerisms quite well.

Fea also tries her best to add a sexy, alluring component to her voice, but it completely falls flat. But rather than making her sound stupid, her failure is so pitiful it's actually cute, and so her tampering actually ends up generally having the desired result.

(you know I'm just teasing, m'dear, I'm sure your real voice is so magnificent that just hearing it brings about a state of nirvana)

- Mithalwen -

Mith speaks with the generic Sexy Brit accent (think Kate Beckinsale).

- The Saucepan Man -

SPM is the owner of a generic Silly Brit accent (think Monty Python).

- Davem -

Davem has the generic Stuffy Brit accent (think Giles, on Buffy), though when he gets a bit passionate about something I sometimes hear him as Tony Blair.

- Amanaduial the archer -

Aman has the generic Sexy Brit accent, with a bit of the generic Irrational Teenage Girl mixed in.

(pretty much every teenage girl on the Downs has a bit of that mixed in, just like pretty much every young guy has either the generic Dumb Jerk, Weirdo Dweeb, or Boring Smart Guy mixed into his voice)

- The Only Real Estel -

Since he's from the same part of the country as me and also shares a couple of my interests, TORE sounds a lot like me, only with overdone inflection for some reason.

- Kuruharan -

Kuru also sounds a bit like me, only he speaks more slowly and intelligibly because of a dash of generic Boring Smart Guy.

- Gil-Galad -

Gil sounds a tiny bit like me with some generic Weirdo Dweeb mixed in (which the girls just love, I am told). He is very prone to stuttering due to the fact that he usually doesn't know clearly where he's trying to go with his words but attempts to get there anyway.

- Tigerlily Gamgee -

Tig's voice is wonderfully warm and magically melodious, and is currently in the process of applying for "angelic" status.

(of course, I'm sort of cheating on her voice since I've actually heard it)

Ah yes, no need to tell me- I pegged every single one of you, didn't I?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:37 AM   #63
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I don't know about you, but:

Littlemanpoet has always reminded me of a sort of Robin Williams voice, especially from Dead Poets Society. Which by the way, is one of the best movies ever.

Encaitare... Ah, let's see. I've always heard her as a sort of refined Amanda Palmer, and I mean 'refined' by a sense of that she carries a unique and wonderfully adapt humor. Also, I find that Encaitare's voice carries a good quality of bold truth. Of course, I would have to take out some of the 'Bostonian' accent as well, I've never seen Encaitare as being one in this atmosphere. So, yes, something akeen to this.

Gil-Galad has, and for many years will sound like Woody Allen to me... For such reasons are too many and too confusing to chase down.

~Aesthete

Last edited by THE Ka; 09-16-2005 at 12:40 AM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:26 AM   #64
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Phantom, you delight me. You are so very wrong that it makes me laugh. But don't worry... it's endearing.

PS: if my fact-ignoring, logic-less whims weren't always right, I wouldn't trust them so much. So .
Old 09-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #65
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Question for Nilp: why meow?

Thing is now, that everytime I try to imagine the voice of anyone who has been a werewolf in a game that I have played with always has a really deep, slightly evil sounding voice in my head, except for Oromin who I couldn't believe to be wolvish even when I was a fellow wolf with her! To me her voice is still light and happy sounding (unless I have just read a post in which she is rather depressed).
Old 09-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #66
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
why meow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
You are so very wrong that it makes me laugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by B88
As you can see I'm horrible at predicting things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Estel
I'll make it a point never to let you hear my voice so I don't disappoint you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman
...not American, so I'm not sure what that would sound like....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordo

After reading all these protestations, and recalling several memorable voice readings, I was going to suggest that we call tune into Yahoo voice chat or MSN voice clips to learn our real selves.

But then, after recently hearing someone, I came to the conclusion that Nilp is on to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilp
Rather than having real people to hear and see, I wonder if the other half of the fun is imagining them.

Seriously, though,

Quote:
Originally Posted by B88
Carlton the Doorman, I'm quite honored
I thought you might be. All that dark mystery and ominous authority.

Quote:
Good lord, Bethberry with a New York accent! Shockaroo! Now that I never imagined - you had a rather more...mellifluous voice, if that doesn't sound too predictable: rather like I would imagine an elf speaking, I'm afraid. Say Liv Tyler at her nobler Arwen moments. The song 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square' also comes to mind - just listen

Ohhh! You go, Girl! You told me once you wanted to be a writer Aman: just keep painting these beautiful pictures. I have always imagined your voice as a cross between Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz and Anna Paquin as Amy Alder in Fly Away Home , but maybe that's because so many of your RPG characters keep tugging at my ear lobe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordo
. . .

Eh.

Quote:
You're....scottish?! Well, either that or a born-again Geordie...
Actually, we have to ask Fordim how he would pronounce Bethberry as then I will be able to place him closer to or farther away from the Ottawa Valley.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #67
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom

Mith speaks with the generic Sexy Brit accent (think Kate Beckinsale).
I do? .. Oh yes I do ....well on a good day ... And this is now a good day... Some people did go a bit crazy over my voice when I was in the states the first time... which freaked me out a bit...but overseas visitors were a bit of a novelty in Great Bend, Kansas...

Well what about the rest of you.....

The Saucepan Man usually sounds like the exasperated teacher in an old Rowan Atkinson sketch involving the South Sea Bubble "Do you think we are stupid? ..Did you think we wouldn't notice...the same thing over and over again......" .

I have trouble imagining Lal, Davem and Aman as sounding northern but I guess they must, at least a bit..... strange hotchpotch of Sean Bean, Ted Hughes and Betty Boothroyd

Boromir88 sounds like James Stewart ....

The Phantom does not speak - he communicates by telepathy.

I don't imagine Fea with a New York accent - since she looks so much like one of my friends I imagine her sounding like her too .. so I am afraid that would be a Kansas accent...

Hmm ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-16-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #68
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I sound like Miss Piggy.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:43 PM   #69
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Nilp & Bethberry are right of course. More than half the fun is being wrong (sometimes purposely, as I should know )-I'd rather have you, Boro, imagine my voice as Darth Vader's than not imagine it at all.

Khuru: Khuru's voice is deep and a bit intimidating.

the phantom: Well, apparently he sounds like me. o_O
Old 09-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #70
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan
I sound like Miss Piggy.
And I bet you can drop-kick a talking frog through the uprights at 50 yards....
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #71
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I don't imagine Fea with a New York accent - since she looks so much like one of my friends I imagine her sounding like her too .. so I am afraid that would be a Kansas accent...
I'm afraid I've never heard a Kansas accent... It's so odd to think of myself as sounding like anything but I do. I've looked all sorts of ways, mostly through hairstyle changes, so imagined appearances can be very close to the truth, but my voice is always the same, even if dialect changes. It makes me wonder the tone with which people imagine me.

Quote:
I sound like Miss Piggy.
And Rimbaud is a frog... Kermit, actually. What does this say to everyone else?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #72
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Eomer: Scottish accent, of course, but slightly slurred from visting his alcohol cellar over-muchly.

Posted by Mithadan:
Quote:
I sound like Miss Piggy
Posted by Fordim:
Quote:
And I bet you can drop-kick a talking frog through the uprights at 50 yards....
Just ask Rimbaud. Isn't that right, Mithadan?

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 09-16-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #73
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
I'm afraid I've never heard a Kansas accent
In rural areas they have a countryish accent, but in most other places Kansans don't have much of an accent at all, but of course it sounds like they do to people from other countries.

If you are wondering what I sound like, keep in mind that I am from Omaha, Nebraska, where accents do not exist (unless transported by an individual from their previous location).

Here is a clip from an entry discussing "General American" speech-

The Telsur Project of William Labov and others examines a number of phonetic properties by which regional accents of the U.S. may be identified. The area that is most free of these regional properties is indicated on the map: eastern Nebraska (including Omaha and Lincoln), southern and central Iowa (including Des Moines), and northern Illinois (including Peoria and the Quad Cities but not the Chicago area). It may therefore be the case that the accents spoken in this region are deemed the most "neutral" by Americans. This is borne out in an article in the November, 1998, issue of National Geographic, in which the locals' "neutral accents" are cited as a reason why Omaha is home to a large number of telemarketing companies. Lincoln is home to several of these as well. Other notable media personalities from this region include longtime NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw and CNN Headline News anchor Chuck Roberts, both of whom were local news anchors in Omaha.

So, I am accentless.

Though sometimes I fake an accent to get better service at stores, or to get the attention of young ladies.
Quote:
The Phantom does not speak - he communicates by telepathy.
You're partly right.

I have the ability to send and receive telepathic messages. Unfortunately, no one else can do it, so my abilities are rather useless.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #74
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
Boromir88 sounds like James Stewart ....~Mithalwen.
"Now, now, now...yo-u-u lissen here la-yd-y. I-I-I don't want no trouble you heere?"

While Sean Bean is my favorite current actor. I can't deny I was fond of Jimmy Stewart back in the days, still am.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #75
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka
Also, I find that Encaitare's voice carries a good quality of bold truth.
Awesome.

Quote:
Of course, I would have to take out some of the 'Bostonian' accent as well, I've never seen Encaitare as being one in this atmosphere.
Not sure where you get Boston from, but I concede that I am more likely to say something like "Whaddayagonnado?" than "I'm gonna go paaaahk the caaaaah." I love Boston, though... so much history. And random statues of dead people. Those are always good.

I think that THE Ka has a low, soft voice, but when she's really excited, it goes higher pitched and she sounds like Tina Root of Switchblade Symphony.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #76
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #564

Quote:
I agree 'Nip',, because when I'm right, it freaks me out.

Bethberry: has that authoritive voice, say of a teacher or perhaps a secretary as she states "Sir, your appointment has been changed to three." If she sang, it would be somewhere between a second-soprano or an alto.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #77
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Kuru is John Rhys-Davies.

-and-

Kuruharan and a deep and guttural voice that commands respect.

-and-

Khuru's voice is deep and a bit intimidating.
Ha!! I love it, so I’m not going to tell you how wrong you all are.

Quote:
He's essentially, in all aspects, a dwarf to me with the lack of facial hair.
Yup. That is basically it.

Quote:
because of a dash of generic Boring Smart Guy.
I resemble that remark.

Anyway…

To me The Barrow Wight alternately sounds sort of like one of the Nazgul (when he is Barrow-Wighting people) or this Air Force captain I knew once when he’s not.

The Saucepan Man speaks with the voice of John Cleese (his real voice, not one of his silly voices)

davem speaks with something vaguely reminding me of Michael Palin.

Squatter sounds like Eric Idle.

Rimbaud sounds rather like Graham Chapman.

Unfortunately, nobody sounds like Terry Jones or Terry Gilliam.

There, I believe I have all my Python’s covered.

Oh, yes…Mithalwen sounds like Carol Cleveland.

Estelyn sounds like Fiona (for some odd reason).

Mithadan does not speak in words…
Quote:
I sound like Miss Piggy.
…for which I am suddenly grateful.

Bêthberry also does not speak in words.

the phantom and The Only Real Estel don’t really have a distinctive tone in my brain.

Boromir88 sounds like an anchorman.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #78
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Question for Nilp: why meow?

Thing is now, that everytime I try to imagine the voice of anyone who has been a werewolf in a game that I have played with always has a really deep, slightly evil sounding voice in my head, except for Oromin who I couldn't believe to be wolvish even when I was a fellow wolf with her! To me her voice is still light and happy sounding (unless I have just read a post in which she is rather depressed).
My voice is actually rather light and happy sounding. I'm told that I sound very much like my mom and brother (but not my dad, who still has some of his Brooklyn accent left), and almost identical to them on the phone. I fortunately don't have much (if any) of a Wisconsin accent, which has an annoying nasal sound and a tendency to prononce i's as e's. If anybody's truly interested in how my voice sounds, PM me and I can send you a recording or something.

I think that Saucy sounds like my next-door neighbor. Said neighbor is British, although he's lived a lot in other parts of the world, and about the same age as Saucy. He has a sort of medium voice--neither particularly high or low.

The Phantom sounds like a friend of my family. He says everything in a sort of sarcastic and ironic manner, like he's laughing at everything, himself included.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #79
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Awesome.

Not sure where you get Boston from, but I concede that I am more likely to say something like "Whaddayagonnado?" than "I'm gonna go paaaahk the caaaaah." I love Boston, though... so much history. And random statues of dead people. Those are always good.

I think that THE Ka has a low, soft voice, but when she's really excited, it goes higher pitched and she sounds like Tina Root of Switchblade Symphony.

Amanda Palmer is a pure-bred Bostonian... caaaaah and all. So, I really can't imagine you with such a strong accent such as this, but somewhat of a low tone. It's confusing to try and write it out, but easy if I had a microphone or something.

Tina Root... Hmm. That's interesting. I'm going to try this out later on, it will be fun.

Something odd has happened to my laugh in the past two years. Now, when I laugh, it sounds like Mozart from Amadeus... I have no clue why, and it's kind of embarassing when your friends start singing "amadeus, amadeus!" after you laugh.

~ Aesthete
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #80
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Leaf Why?

Quote:
Question for Nilp: why meow? (Kath)
Because you're a cat!

*groan* I'm not gonna start on how bad that one was . . . it's just bad.