The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2003, 01:05 PM   #41
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Welcome back, original post of Feanor! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
best movie currently in existence
That may have to be revised when ROTK is released. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Back to vocab:

to bend the roads (expression) = 1. to make the laws more strict, more harsh. 2. to permit access to sites, forums, etc, only to some elect few (i.e. They decided to bend the roads and ban legolasses from the forum). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2003, 11:27 PM   #42
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Gamgeene: The quality of complete loyalty to a person or quest, enabling one to perservere against apparently hopeless odds. Most frequently refers to someone carrying a friend up the side of an active volcano.

Nazgul: a technical support person under the power of the forces of Mordor. Instead of fixing a problem over the phone, a nazgul will ask you to bring your computer to a repair shop located several hundred leagues away and guarded by countless companies of Orcs, so it can be examined by his supervisor, who is usually a glowing red eye.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #43
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

to mount doom and back (expression) = aproximate synonyme of 'to hell and back', with the mention that a sarcifice is added to the list, e.g. the loss of a finger

bilbilly = an unsophisticated and conservatory person that some may regard as stupid, but in actuality, there is more to him than meets the eye.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:56 AM   #44
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's try another one (not as good as yours, I am afraid) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Gollumic torture (expression): especially painful torture of body and mind. Examples of gollumic tortures are to tie somebody with elvish cords; feed somebody with cooked rabbit, or offer somebody fish and chips.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #45
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

LOL, Amarie, your post brought this to mind:

to tater = to use coloqualisms in order to annoy persons you dislike and who are clueless as to what you're refering to. Can also be used in reference to obscure arcane talk by Tolkien afficionados.

And this - I can't believe this hasn't been done so far!
Tolkienite = a person of fine tastes. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ex: In order to cultivate your Tolkienite characteristics you must read good books.

[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
Old 09-07-2003, 07:21 AM   #46
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Location: Heaven, where Middle-earth and Zion are fused and all the guys are sexy beasts!
Elróthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

to eowyn: to change one's appearance drastically in order to do something that your previous appearance prevented you from doing. (ex: If "Bob" hadn't eowyned, he wouldn't have been able to join the needlework club without being laughed at.)

grey haven: A place where one would prefer to be and/or travel to, instead of staying in the original place.
(ex: I really want to go to Japan! That place is such a grey haven!)
(syn: blessed realm, valinor)

hobbitism: Chronic shortness. Other symptoms include: Large, hairy feet, curly hair, large eyes, and a phobia of going outside one's own backyard. May also result in cuteness, in which case one should stay away from fangirls.

uruk-hai-ism: A liking of licking one's own blood off a blade, also worsening one's wound, by pushing the blade even further into one's body, and grouping together in large numbers in order to take over a large, usually foolproof building. (syn: terroristism, maniacism, bullyism)

boromir: a person who likes small things which carry lots of power, large, round objects, and has lots of perseverence. A person who is a boromir would not like people who are a threat to one's status, and would resent them. Boromirs are usually loners, but will generally tolerate others, unless one of them happened to be a threat to one's status (see: aragorn, strider, elessar, estel, telcontar, elfstone, longshanks, wingfoot.... etc).
Occasional tendency to steal things.

That's it for now!
From
Elróthiel, the Insane Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter!
Old 09-07-2003, 07:38 AM   #47
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Location: Heaven, where Middle-earth and Zion are fused and all the guys are sexy beasts!
Elróthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

to eowyn: to change one's appearance drastically in order to do something that your previous appearance prevented you from doing. (ex: If "Bob" hadn't eowyned, he wouldn't have been able to join the needlework club without being laughed at.)

grey haven: A place where one would prefer to be and/or travel to, instead of staying in the original place.
(ex: I really want to go to Japan! That place is such a grey haven!)
(syn: blessed realm, valinor)

hobbitism: Chronic shortness. Other symptoms include: Large, hairy feet, curly hair, large eyes, and a phobia of going outside one's own backyard. May also result in cuteness, in which case one should stay away from fangirls.

uruk-hai-ism: A liking of licking one's own blood off a blade, also worsening one's wound, by pushing the blade even further into one's body, and grouping together in large numbers in order to take over a large, usually foolproof building. (syn: terroristism, maniacism, bullyism)

boromir: a person who likes small things which carry lots of power, large, round objects, and has lots of perseverence. A person who is a boromir would not like people who are a threat to one's status, and would resent them. Boromirs are usually loners, but will generally tolerate others, unless one of them happened to be a threat to one's status (see: aragorn, strider, elessar, estel, telcontar, elfstone, longshanks, wingfoot.... etc).
Occasional tendency to steal things.

That's it for now!
From
Elróthiel, the Insane Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter!
Old 09-07-2003, 07:52 AM   #48
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Elrothiel, the last three look like an excerpt from Clinical Psychology - Middle Earth symptomatology. Perfect! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 AM   #49
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's try another pshychological one [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Maiarism: Tendency of some Tolkienites to classify as Maiar all creatures in Middle-Earth whose nature is not claerly stated by Tolkien himself, like Tom Bombadil, Goldberry, Ungoliant, ... Used in expressions like You suffer from maiarism

Maiar: (noun derived from Maiarism) Collection of odds and ends; mixed bag; pot pourri.

And one that I have read in the Legolas syndrome thread,and that I found really funny [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nazgirl: fangirl of Legolas Bloom, whose yells frighten to death the rest of the audience [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 09, 2003: Message edited by: Amarie of the Vanyar ]
Old 09-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #50
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Alrighty, you may need to have been there to get this, but trust me, it has a funny inspiration.

Numoranian (Proper Noun): a Numenorean with a speech impediment; alternitively, a person who has never read the pronunciation key in the back of the Silm. (ex: Dang those Numoranians, they always pronounce Tolkien's words wrong!!!

Hobbit lover : a member of the elite team of upper-classmen who actually get a grade for studying the Trilogy; perks: immediate placement in head of the lunch line by Tolkienite* under-classmen.

Fea
Old 09-10-2003, 07:07 PM   #51
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Dead Ringer: Someone whose words are always well-chosen, and most often inspired by Tolkien
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #52
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

More-goth: a person who is usually labelled as very bad and likes to wear a lot of black. also: misunderstood. (ex: Wow, that girl over there with the lip ring and Metallica shirt is really More-goth.)

Feanorian: obsessive; possessive; likes pretty things. alternitively: somebody who thinks they are perfect; someone who struts. (ex: Wow, that jewel thief is really Feanorian. ex2: Look at that pretty-boy athlete... he's a real Feanorian.)

That's all for now, but I wanted to defibrillate this thread, so I guess it works.

Fea
Old 09-21-2003, 03:24 PM   #53
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hmm... I'm running out of ideas.

Toll-keen: 1.) a person who is obsessed with collecting tolls, taxes, tariffs, etc. or any other forms of monetary payment; 2.) a person who is extremely fond of something; 3.) an extremely gifted genius with a gigantic group of followers who worship his every word, and who created another plane of existence, complete with languages, races, etc.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #54
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand

Hey...can I join?

Thanks! Here goes:

1) Gore lore(noun)- stories involving main characters losing an upper appendage(i.e., a finger or a hand)
I heard that most pirate stories are gore-lore.

2) Ungoliantine(adj.)- refers to a person(or arthropod) that feeds on light, chews on jewels, or helps More-goths*(meaning 1) do great evil by causing blackouts.
Do you know how the thief stole the jewels? He had the help of an Ungoliantine cat!

3) Elvish(adj.)- anyone who occasionaly spurts out words that do not exist in the real world; also anyone who flees to a grey haven* whenever troubles come.
I had a fight with an elvish youth. I never understood a word he said, but last I heard of him was he was going to Japan.

Hope they suffice...

->The Son of Finrod
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:30 PM   #55
Engwaromenion

Shield

Mithril- a person overly obsessed with shinny silver objects. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 03:43 PM   #56
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

No problem, Nilpaurion Felagund, everyone with a bit of a sense of humor is welcome. Here's some more:

Ent (noun): approximate synonym of biped tree. alternitively: a person of the previous generation who constantly refers to the good old days and is rather stuck in his ways. synonym: history teacher [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] *snigger* (ex: Holy smokes, that guy who had to walk all the way to school (uphill both ways) is a real ent.)

Silmarillion (noun):
a) hardest to read book on Earth
b) a person who delights in knowing or reading about inconsiquential facts of no real import. synonym: mathematician [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] (ex: that dork with the Pre-Calc book is a real Silmarillion.)

Fea

Disclaimer: no offense meant to history teachers, dorks, or people who like math. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 11:46 PM   #57
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand

Here's one more...

1) faramiric(noun)- a close call, especially involving fiery deaths.
Whew! That was faramiric! A second later and boom! I would have been ashes!

Hope it suffices...

->THe Son of Finrod
Old 10-04-2003, 10:45 AM   #58
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Legolass: An intelligent, pre-teenaged girl with too much time on her hands.
Does that mean a Legolas fangirl? Because if so, you haven't defined a Legolass as such!!! Also, I am 15 [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] , do not have much spare time on my hands unfortunately due to the piles of coursework awaiting me, and all in for this week [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . And as for the burra that was in the following post...I feel like defending myself and saying that I am fairly intelligent having passed an entrance exam into a grammar school [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] (if I say anymore about it it'll be traceable, so I won't)

Quote:
Legolas (n) - An unpopular or hated person, esp. due to hanger's on and followers/worshippers.
Poor, poor Leggy...but unpopular isn't exactly accurate, is it? (Judging by his fandom...)

Quote:
(They decided to bend the roads and ban legolasses from the forum).
Nooooo! Don't ban me, please!!! *sobs*

Quote:
Nazgirl: fangirl of Legolas Bloom, whose yells frighten to death the rest of the audience
Ahhh that'll be me then... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Only I'm more of a hyperventilating gal than a screaming or drooling one. Less noticeable, I find [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I just have to take an inhaler, which is annoying [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] , considering I don't even have asthma (no, I didn't get an inhaler purely because of the hyperventilating, it was for something unrelated).

I think I ought to set up a Orlando Bloom defence league, for others who are irritated by the constant slating and stereotyping they receive. We are not all the same you know!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Wight (noun): someone who commits a crime in a cold and calculated manner without any thought for the victim or his/her family. (Thinking of the episode in the Barrow here...)
Old 10-04-2003, 01:59 PM   #59
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

faramir

v. to misrepresent something knowingly.(Example: The commercial faramired the quality of the product.)
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #60
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Manwean (adj.) Too forgiving, especially with regards to forgiving crazed arda-marrers.(Example: Eonwe was so Manwean that he didn't even punish Gorthaur.) [From Q. Manwe, Vala who forgave Melkor too quickly, thus causing the War of the Jewels, original meaning the Unmarred One.]
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #61
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodoism- to be paranoid or afraid of something.Usually this paranoia can make a person violent and unable to reason with. (Stalin had frodoism during his dictatorship of Russia)
Old 10-05-2003, 12:17 AM   #62
Elwen_starmaiden
Animated Skeleton

Elwen_starmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elwen_starmaiden
Silmaril

Numenorian:(adj.) word often used to desperately try to relate something to LOTR but can't seem to find a relation. Example: That microwave is very...Numenorian!

Yeah I know [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 09:26 PM   #63
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

I've got a new one(based on personal experience...)

1)Old Forest(noun)- a place that appears to be the quickest route, but causes long delays.
I passed through the mall, thinking I'd get to the other side quicker. I was wrong. What an Old Forest!

Yours, if you want to [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
->The True Son of Finrod, and of Amarië the Vanyar
Old 10-16-2003, 12:05 PM   #64
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shadow-fax; suspect communications system.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:42 AM   #65
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Sting

1) play with a palantír(idiomatic exp)-to get lost; to expose yourself unwittingly to the Dark Lord, thus forcing yourself to fly to greater danger.
No example. Go play with a palantír.

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->Elenrod
Old 11-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #66
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond (verb) to pass off a job which you should technically be doing to someone with no qualifications whatsoever.

Lindril (more later) Arvilya
Old 12-02-2003, 02:53 AM   #67
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Hoom(ent exp)- Means a) 'Processing...' b) 'Content Rated: R-33.' c) 'Ineedtotakeabreath!'
Hoom!

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->Elenrod: Hoom!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:53 PM   #68
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

To Narse: To splinter an item. (Compare Parse.)

To Narsil: To carefully preserve an item in splinters. (Compare Parcel.)

Narsilect: use of a large shard for surgical or amputative purposes.

Narsilectomy: Removal of digit or limb in order to secure corresponding jewelry.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:08 AM   #69
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Feanorian: obsessive; possessive; likes pretty things. alternitively: somebody who thinks they are perfect; someone who struts. (ex: Wow, that jewel thief is really Feanorian. ex2: Look at that pretty-boy athlete... he's a real Feanorian.)
I suppose there would have to also be a codicil to this definition that makes sure the Feanorian is worth the name as well! There's got to be substance underneath that strut! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And Helen, your catalog of Narsilisms RULES! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Can I think of anything at this late hour? Only one, and it is a bit lame:
Fangorn or the Glittering Caves?: phrase used commonly on a date, meaning "your place or mine?"

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:46 AM   #70
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Shadowfax: 1) Big White Horse