The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2003, 02:08 PM   #41
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

How 'bout psychological damage? This morning I was in the car with my parents and I saw this really weird looking cloud. The sky was mostly blue with some cumulus clouds and a few wispy ones in the distance, but this cloud was dark gray and really small and low. So I go "Ahh- crebain from Dunland!!!" My Mom knew what I meant, but my Dad sure as sugar didn't and they both told me I'm insane. *sniff*.

A few summers ago though, I decided I'd try and ride bareback like Legolas and Gandalf. I was so busy trying to stay on the stupid blasted bouncy pony that I ended up riding on the bone at the base of her neck. That really hurt, then I had to ride my bike home. That called for a very long, hot bubble bath.

Fea
Old 09-06-2003, 10:27 PM   #42
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My brother and I were dueling in our back yard with long sticks, and I got him a little too hard a couple of times. Once it just sort of scratched him, but the second time, he started to bleed, but he didn't mind too much (it wasn't bleeding a lot).
Old 09-09-2003, 08:49 AM   #43
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, every day at school feels like Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor. The only food I have is Lembas (granola bars), and there are constant dangers to avoid. I guarentee you that my school is run by Gothmog, Leutinet of Mordor. Or perhaps it's Saurman's influence...
Also, I'm a rock climber, so I really feel for Frodo and Sam when they were using the rope in Emyn Muiel! I've fallen down cliffs where the people on the top of the crag couldn't see me at the bottom. My climbing partners were a lot less concerned about me than Sam was about Frodo. Such is the path of the last of the Dunadian.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:05 PM   #44
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Quote:
nobody that knows me in the flesh would be too sorry to see me go!
aww, I'm sure that's not true. Although, I feel like that a lot!

Quote:
My brother and I were dueling in our back yard with long sticks, and I got him a little too hard a couple of times. Once it just sort of scratched him, but the second time, he started to bleed, but he didn't mind too much (it wasn't bleeding a lot).
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] you stole my story [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

My sister and I were practicing sword fighting in my backyard and I missed and hit her. She didn't bleed, but she did have a bruise for a while.

Also, I poked myself with a needle while making my elven cloak. From hearing all these stories, it could have been worse, though!
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:14 PM   #45
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Like Pookabunny, I too have injured my ceiling with my sword. One night I was reinacting the Helm's Deep scene where Aragorn whips his sword over his head to command the soldiers to fire their arrows. Most unfortunately, my ceilings are not so high and I put a big gash in the living room ceiling and one on the ceiling near the stairwell.
I also cut my ceiling fan cord in a similar manner.
Once this summer, I accidentally shot my cat, Baby, with my sister's bow & an arrow. He's lost a lot of respect for me.
This past fall or winter, I was trying to "shieldboard" down my stairs on a big Rubbermaid box lid. I was lightly holding the bannister for safety, but I slipped anyhow. In the process of trying to keep my "proudfeet" on the box lid, I lost any and all balance that I had left and scraped up my legs on the inside of the lid. I also got some carpet burn.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:15 AM   #46
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Forest Walker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Forest Walker
Sting

Quote:
Well, I am not sure that you would call this an ingury, but in the autum, I get this weird longing to go and be in the woods.
Me too, but not just in the autum! We have a little forest behind our school, and I just sit there and wish i was outside......
It was really misty last week, and I swear it looked Exactly like something out of Middle Earth! i don't think i paid any atention at all that day. Too bad our lunch-break's only 20 minutes, otherwis i would have gone for a walk.
Forest Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:24 AM   #47
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Forest Walker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Forest Walker
Sting

Quote:
but i could say i have a mental illness because for some odd reson i think im some very imortant elf in the wrong world.
Hmmm.......Elves get re-incarnated sometimes. I swear I once had a teacher who was an elf. I saw a pic in a history book that looked exactly like her! (or it could just be my over-active imagination....)

-Gaia Forestwalker (who, due to her overactive imagination, now has an imaginary friend (or RPG/fan-fic character, if you will) who is the re-incarnation of Feanor) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Forest Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #48
electrichobbit
Newly Deceased

electrichobbit has just left Hobbiton.
well, I've got a couple.
the first one isn't that exciting, but when I was 14, we were acting out Frodo and the cave troll, and well, my friend jumped from behind this pillar I was hiding behind, and i jumped back, and fell onto my back on concrete....ow.

The other time was over the summer when I had my wisdom teeth out. I got a dry socket on one side because the stitches fell out and couldn't eat anything, and just kinda lied around for a week or so because i was in so much pain. I felt more than a little bit like Frodo getting stabbed after that.
electrichobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #49
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Good bump up

I must have some injuries myself, but the first thing that comes to mind is one I inflicted on someone else, when I stood on Tom Shippey's toes, heh. I was laughing and not paying attention and stepped back onto him - I was embarrassed and he was very gracious

I also greeted Tolkien's grand-daughter while partaking of the brewer's finest so I inflicted a load of beer and tobacco breath on her.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #50
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I got shot in the forearm- not a direct shot, but a ricochet. Still, that was about 15 years ago, and the scar hasn't faded yet. It looks like a minor battle wound, inflicted by some nasty, jagged orc weapon.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #51
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome to the Downs, electrichobbit! Great thread...

Except for the obvious psychological imbalances that have caused me to do such things as buy a sword and shoot the bow, I haven't suffered any lasting damage that I can remember (even from said weapons). Even my three cats, all of whom find the archery target immensely interesting and bear no fear for the bow, have escaped thus far.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #52
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Dark-Eye

I got the Black Breath by walking past a laundry that uses too much Downy.

Somebody, please. Take me to the houses of healing so Strider can call my name.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #53
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmm. No German Downers here sporting schläger scars? What could be more LotR than a sword wound?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #54
fenris1011
Pile O'Bones

fenris1011 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to fenris1011 Send a message via Yahoo to fenris1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen1858 View Post
I get that wood longing too! I'm also a bit on the short side myself, so sometimes I feel like a hobbit. Now, this may not be considered an illness, but I think I'm an elf. I just get this deep longing to be an elf, and live in Rivendell, and go off in the woods, and do elvish type things. It's like this uncontrolable desire.... I must be an elf at heart!!!
Arwen
Yeah same here, but I am 6' 4" so I pretend I am Borimir or something.

We have A LOT of forest land around here and where I walk is on the top of a hill. On one side is a cliff overlooking the Missouri river and the other side is down hill and full of woods.

Even though I just read and study about Middle-earth around friends and family, I always get that longing and go out in the woods by myself and pretend I am Borimir or someone else.

Oh and pertaining to the injury side. Me and my friend were in this field pretending to duel it out. I was Borimir and he was an orc. I let my guard down and he accidentally smacked me right in the face with this stick. Now keep in mind we are both pretty big guys so we had large sticks. We laughed so hard for about 5 minutes after the pain subsided.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #55
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think I got a bruise or two while playacting the fight of Gandalf and a (horny) balrog with my friend a few summers ago. (And had I been laughing a bit more, I could have drowned after shouting "fly, you fools!" and letting go of the pier I was gripping. )

But I don't really have LotR-related injuries. Although I have a lightning-shaped scar (on my finger) like Harry Potter. I guess that doesn't count?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #56
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Injuries I've suffered have been of a more sedentary nature.

I often get a crick in my neck from trying to lift down one of the heavier books, or at least suffer a lot of earache from huffing and moaning when I ask for one to be lifted down for me.

I got my One Ring stuck on my thumb when all my hands swelled up when I was up t'spout, and I achieved that injury with very little effort indeed!

I've also had pins and needles many a time from sitting on my bum for too long while writing lengthy posts on here and I'm sure I'm not alone in thumping something after watching a long post with a load of pertinent quotes painstakingly copied out disappear into the great yawning maw of a busted internet connection...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #57
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've suffered from the last two of those afflictions. Aye, I've had the Ring stuck, the evil thing. It changes size, you know, when it goes on your finger...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #58
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
I've suffered from the last two of those afflictions. Aye, I've had the Ring stuck, the evil thing. It changes size, you know, when it goes on your finger...
I also once caught mine on a Tesco trolley, which was painful

davem nearly got killed trespassing on a railway line because of that Ring, too, but that's another story...
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #59
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
As a new practitioner of the art of quilting, I am still butterfingers with the needlework and have endured many a pr*ck and even a stab from both a "between" and a "sharp", to say nothing of injuries from ball head and flat head pins. I can't tell you the number of times such injuries elicited a good old LotR cry from me, "Oh Arwen".