The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #32
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dűm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Having been accused of chronic honesty, I rarely find myself outright lying about what I have, or haven't, read.

I do, however, often fudge the truth by saying "I'm familiar with [book/movie/etc]". Most people don't call me out on it, everyone seems to assume (if they want me to have read the book) that I've read it or (if they'd rather that I've never sunk so low as to read such a thing) that I haven't. Very very useful.

Quote:
Even more interesting to brag about having read plausible made up books to lure the uninitiated to their doom...
Now THAT sounds like a fun game. I have considered making fake dust jackets for some of my books, and combing the two ideas could lead to all kinds of free entertainment (I commute via train a lot and, while I don't care so much about people knowing what I'm reading, when I don't like the cover art I don't want everyone else to see it).