The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Dakźsīntrah
Animated Skeleton

Dakźsīntrah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dakźsīntrah
Gandalf at Zirak-zigil

This has probably been touched on before, but I'll throw it out anyway, as I have been rereading through this part and have been contemplating the exact nature of Gandalf's 're-embodiment.'

I know the traditional interpretation is that many think Gandalf's spirit passed out of Middle earth temporal time and was again embodied into the corpse of the old man laying empty at Zirak-zigal.

However, Tolkien never explicitly says it was a 'spiritual re-embodiment' of the original Gandalf as far as I can recall.

['Naked is alas! unclear. It was meant just literally, 'unclothed like a child' (not discarnate), and so ready to receive the white robes of the highest.'] JRRT, 1954, draft letter 156.

Tolkien also stated (same letter) that Gandalf was not sent back by the Valar -- implying it was rather Eru, the 'Authority', as the wizard had passed out of time itself.

This would infer that the spirit "Gandalf" was gone forever and the spirit that replaced him as "The White" was Eru Himself. He was still Gandalf to the physical beings in Middle earth, for Gandalf was only recognizable by his physical shell.

Thoughts?
Dakźsīntrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakźsīntrah View Post
This would infer that the spirit "Gandalf" was gone forever and the spirit that replaced him as "The White" was Eru Himself. He was still Gandalf to the physical beings in Middle earth, for Gandalf was only recognizable by his physical shell.
No, I think "Gandalf" was still essentially himself as all in Middle-earth had known him in not only looks, but also personality and life-force. His spirit had left the physical world temporarily, including the "hidden" plane where the Valar and Eldar existed, and he was given by the One a second chance to accomplish his mission of bringing about the destruction of Sauron. Since the stakes had become so high, and the other Istari were no longer involved in helping the fight, Gandalf was enhanced in power and wisdom by Eru and sent back to finish things. Eru himself would not have taken such a direct role in the events in Arda. The only time we know of that he did so was during the Downfall of Nśmenor, and on that occasion the Valar themselves asked for Eru's intervention. There is no evidence the Valar did so upon the death of Gandalf.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't believe it was Eru, because Tolkien said flat out that He never appeared in Middle-earth, and Tolkien felt himself not up to the task of writing about an embodied Creator. Also, it is explicitly said that Gandalf was the only one of the wizards who succeeded in his task and returned to Aman. I believe in that same letter Tolkien says that he was given an enhancement of power and returned to finish his tasks. Regardless of the body, his spirit was an immortal 'divine' spirit, as were those of the other wizards. Saruman did not dissipate into nothingness after his body was slain, so why should Gandalf?

Can't look up much in the way of references, since I'm now on vacation, and loving it. Just winging it, here...