The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Landscapes of Middle Earth

One of the things that has captivated me the most about Tolkien's works, perhaps even more than the stories and characters, is the ever-changing landscape and geography of Middle Earth. It seems to me that Middle Earth plays the most important role in any of Tolkien's works and is the indispensable glue which holds his work together as the ultimate fantasy writing. In this thread I'd like to get a discussion going about which landscapes in Middle Earth give you the best images and feelings when you read about them. I especially enjoy reading about Beren's journey through Nan Dungortheb, where the power of Melian meets the horror of Sauron and "terror and madness walk." I also enjoyed reading about Turin Turambar as he stood atop Amon Rudh and looked out over Beleriand. As for LotR, I would say that the Shire and the Old Forest certainly held great enchantment as I read of them, as well as Lothlorien and the peacefulness of Rivendell. The blackness of Moria was also rather frightening, and I got chills down my back when Gandalf spoke to Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli about the horrors that walk in the deep places of Khazad-Dum, that even the Dark Lord Sauron himself knows nothing of. What are some of your favorite locales, places and geographical descriptions in Middle Earth and in Tolkien's works, and for what reason?
Old 06-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #2
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite "landscape" is probably that of the City of Gondolin, its entrance, and its seven gates all made of different materials. the journey of Tour coming to Gondolin was amazing to me, and Tolkien laid out many different things that made my imagination run away with me. Besides that, I am probably most interested in the woods of Lothlorien, because of its magical ability to remain pure and unaltered over the course of time. that is of course, due to the power of Galadriel, but the land itself is interesting to me. Especially Caras Galadhon. one more thing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]... the Ents and the Entwives was another interesting thing for me. Im still looking and searching for the origins of their beginning(which I have found), but of their exact location in the beginning i know nothing. well, I think this is a good topic and I await for the "lore masters" of the barrowdowns to enlighten me with more information. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

In the Sil, it talks about the Ents and Entwives in the chapter about Yavanna and Aule... I too very much like the aspect of the Sherperds of the Trees, these sort of Immortal guardians of nature. I wonder where all the Entwives are.....
Old 06-29-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I too have found Tolkien's description of the land and of nature to be particularly powerful.

Cerin Amroth, for starters, is a place filled with vivid images. The trees in rings and the flowers on the grass are easy to see in my mind, but I have to disagree with you, Lord of Angmar. I don't think that the landscape means anything without the story. Cerin Amroth's fascination for me isn't in the actual mound, but in the layers of time that one can see there. Amroth once had his flet among the trees, perhaps Nimrodel came to visit, years later Aragorn and Arwen pledged their troth there, then the fellowship stood there and Sam saw the Elanor, and later Arwen laid down her life there. The power of the place is in the events, I think.

The other place that really moves me is Rath Dinen, the Silent Street in Gondor. The way the area and even the approach to it is described conveys solemnity and heaviness. Tolkien has a way with words such that he can make you feel a place much more than see it. The weight of history is in Rath Dinen with its houses of fallen kings. And the death of Denethor is an image that is hard to shake.

This is an interesting topic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Landscape, I think, was important to Tolkien. He wrote the tales and history of Middle-earth because he wanted to create a new mythology for England, which is one reason ME looks similiar to Europe.

The description of Lothlorien and Rivendell showed the beauty and etherealness of the elves, which is why I like them the best. Especially Lorien and the way he described the trees and flowers.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

There are two places in all of Tolkien's works that "hold" me the most. I love both Gondolin and Imladris. Perhaps it's because the Elves, my favorite race, lived there, or perhaps it is because so many heroes lived there. Both the places have this compelling, yet hidden, beauty about them that continues to attract me.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:42 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

This is a very thought-provoking topic. I've not yet seen its equal, at least not in its ability to make a person probe her feelings as to what makes a location so amazing...

Recently as I stood barefoot in my grandfathers vegetable garden, I happened to look out at the view. (My grandparents live on top of a rather high hill.) I was forcefully reminded of the Shire, and I liked what I saw: a few small scattered towns, fields, streams, trees, and at the edge of my line of sight stood a single deer. I realized then that my favorite location in Middle Earth is the Shire.

My next favorite location though is probably Rivendell. All through my childhood I dreamed of living in a place like that, and when I first read LOTR a few years ago, I saw my dreams realized. Sort of.

Well, there are my thoughts. Once again, props for the cool thread.

Fea
Old 06-30-2003, 07:45 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

One place that always hit me the most whenever I read it is when Sam and Frodo are at the Cross-Roads before they get to the stairs of Cirith Ungol. The way that Tolkien describes it is so wonderful. I always get such a weird feeling, because you feel the pressure of the quest and also the darkness because they are so close to Mordor. And additionally you feel a great feeling of loneness because they are so far away from everything. But once you have gone through all these thoughts of darkness and not very good things. Tolkien then serves you a description that gives you great hope. When he talks about the statue of the fallen king. It is a location that is not talked about very long, but it is one that I always remember as one of my favorites.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:04 AM   #9
*RohirrimGUY*

Tolkien

I think Rivendell,the Crossroads,and Gondolin. So cool! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 09:21 AM   #10
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

I don't want to know which landscapes you think are "cool" [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] so much as what effect they have on you and why you think they have such an effect.

[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 07-01-2003, 03:21 PM   #11
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

one of my favorite topics as well...
JRRT truly loved nature and of course the landscapes he painted was a macro of that love. The sweeping images in the minds eyes are amazing. Such description, and yet the singular names are enough to get you started: Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, Lonely Mountain, Great River, Dead Marshes.... brilliant [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:08 PM   #12
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

Yhe Forest of Fangorn is great. Such deep mysteries and presnence...probably a weird feeling (especially for a Hobbit!). Also the Land around the sea in Beleriand where Tour walked and found the elven armour and met Ulmo. That was awsome with the swans and waves...Ahhh, the sea longing!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:12 PM   #13
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

I still to this day have not read of a place more dark, mysterious and obviously formerly-majestic as Khazad-dum and the Dwarf city of Dwarrowdelf. It has such a powerful presence, it almost feels as if it is another character in the book in the chapters in which its spoken of.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #14
Gorthol
Animated Skeleton

Gorthol has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Gorthol
Sting

Quote:
..and Tuor saw that they stood at the end of a ravine, the like of which he had never before beheld or imagined in his thought, long though he had walked in the wild mountains of the North;for beside the Orfalch Echor Cirith Ninniach was but a groove in the rock. Here the hands of the Valar themselves, in ancient wars of the world's beginning, had wrested the great mountain asunder, and the sides of the rift were sheer as if axe-cloven, and they towered up to heights unguessable.
Though I must say the swedish version has a better "sting" in the Orfalch Echor part. They use the word "rispa" in swedish (scratch). Moria is fascinating, same goes for the City of Gondolin. Doriath is nice.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:12 PM   #15
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I feel that caves and tunnels have a unique landscape to them, and those were done very well.
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:23 PM   #16
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The forests and hills between Bree and Rivendell have always resonated most for me (as well as Tom Bombadil's country). Whenever I read the Fellowship of the Ring, I'm seeing the Canadian Shield. Rocky outcropping, and lichen, and little flowers tucked into crevices, and spring run-off trickling in little streams down the hillside, and the tangled thickets, and the fog in the morning, and the ferns in the dark places under the trees...
And the bugs, too, of course. Midgewater! I'm positive those must be blackflies! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I love this country and I can completely understand why a being like Tom Bombadil would settle in an environment like this.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #17
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

I can't really explain why, but Rohan, especially Edoras and the Golden Hall, seemed to have a special effect on me.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #18
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I get the best images of Mirkwood from the description in "The Hobbit" - black . All black [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
But if to be serious than I got really good images of Gondor . I can't say anything about any other country which was menchioned in TTT because all my images of those places are based on what I saw in the movies . But Gondor I imagined really lively only I can bet that all of those images will be crushed to pieces [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]