The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #1281
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I'd like to join the game, but am willing to sit out if someone else who hasn't gone yet really wants to play.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #1282
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I would also like to play in this next game, but like Menel, if anyone who hasn't played wants a chance, I will give them my spot in the game.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #1283
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Before I join I am interested in knowing what the rules will be so until the moderator signs up and lays down the law I won't sign up.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:57 PM   #1284
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
Any volunteers to moderate Werewolf X? It should be someone who has a reasonable amount of experience at the game.
Oh I would love to...... but I'm not sure how great I would be at it....... but it would be so fun....... though I'm not really that violent......but I've been known to be creative.....I don't know, I'd like to but I probably wouldnt be very good at it. If anything I'm willing to be a back up mod, if no one else is interested. But I may have to take that back with school and all.

(<----those are the confused ones)

I JUST DONT KNOW!!!!!! If you guys think I could do it then I will.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #1285
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alright I have thought about it. Aslong as no one is against it I would love to mod WWX.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #1286
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Wilwa, just wondering, if you're perhaps you're gone for a day, could I be a back-up mod?
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #1287
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Even though I rather disapprove of all this signing up before the current game is finished...

I second mormegil's desire to have the rules set before I decide to play.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #1288
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
Even though I rather disapprove of all this signing up before the current game is finished...
But you see the current game is finished!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #1289
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I would love to mod a game, but almost certainly won't have time to do so until late December/early January. I haven't even had time to really read the past 2 games, much less play or mod in any while I still have school. If we still have interest in games at the end of the year I'd like to do one, but until then I must sit out.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 09-14-2005 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #1290
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Just to make it clear what I'm looking for is a game of no more than 15 with no crazy roles such as the bear. Just a basic game would be great.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #1291
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Granted, I will not be playing in this game either. (Adjusting to college + pledging with a fraternity = minimal extra time.)

Although, I would like to read a game that is simpler. I didn't read any of the earlier ones, not any until VII actually. I'd be interested to see if some of the lesser special roles come more into play. In the games I've read, the Hunter and Ranger have had minimal impact. Still, more special roles means that more people have more fun... theoretically.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #1292
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Sooner or later I plan on modding a game.

I could do WW X, or possibly I won't mod until WW XX. It all depends on when people ask me to do it.

I don't have any set plans so I don't care either way, but if everyone starts riotously clamoring for me to fill the mod spot, I'll do it.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:33 AM   #1293
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd love to join in again. It's been a long time since my last fix...

I like the Baroque roles, not having experienced many of them, but I can see others want a break from them...
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 AM   #1294
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
The last game was really addictive.

I would love to join X, especially if it means less special roles - just the villagers against the wolves with perhaps one Seer. However, since I just played, I'm willing to sit this one out and wait for the next.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:00 AM   #1295
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'd like to play this one please, but only if there's room.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #1296
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'd like to play again but I'll give my place up to anyone who hasn't played before if requested.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:13 AM   #1297
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

As I seem to have become unofficial 'caretaker' of this thread, I would like to reaffirm two rules and make a plea.

*Puts on caretaker hat*

Firstly, there should be no discussion of the game whatsoever other than by active (ie surviving) players on the game thread and this thread (for admin purposes only) only. There was far too much discussion and PM'ing going on about this last game by dead and non-participating players and it looked like this might spoil it at one stage.

*Glares at Perky and Glirdan*

I would suggest that, as far as possible, there should be no PM'ing about the game between anyone (including those not participating) except as allowed under the rules (ie Werewolves and Shirriffs only). The more people that know who has what role, the more likely it is to get out and prejudice the game.

Second, there should be no posting on the game thread by any player after voting has ended on a Day until the next Day has begun. Apologising to someone for having voted for them (whether just before they are lynched or subsequently in this thread) is wholly outside the spirit of the game - and could unfairly influence the game.

*Glares at Folwren*

Third, please could people not put themselves down to play unless they know that they will be able to get on-line to post and vote on a reasonably regular basis. I lost track of the number of excuses coming out to explain non-appearance and non-voting in the last game. I understand that the unexpected can happen but please take a sensible approach in assessing whether you will be able to devote sufficient time to play in a particular game.

I might add that all the failures to vote in the last game had a rather limiting effect on the deductive element (which is the part that I enjoy). It is fine to make a tactical decision not to vote and it is inevitable that there will be occasional difficulties in voting due to unforeseen events. But, if you are constantly having to explain why you didn't vote the previous Day, you should be questioning whether you should be really be playing in the game.

Oh, and I think that making up excuses to explain a tactical non-appearance or non-vote should be forbidden. External events (fictional or real) should not be used to influence the game. Not that I think much of that goes on. But there is scope for it when people are posting their excuses in the game thread. That's why all excuses should be posted here, where no lies may be told.

*Takes off caretaker hat*

Well, it looks like wilwa will be moderating the next game, as she was the first to volunteer. Wilwa, would you like to set out the roles 'n rules that you intend to use?

Personally, I would support a return to "basics". Perhaps not the bare 3 Wolves and 1 Seer, but another game with 3 Wolves, 1 Seer, 1 Hunter, 1 Guardian and the return of the Cursed would be good. Although there should really be no more than 12-15 players in those circumstances, to preserve game balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
I'd be interested to see if some of the lesser special roles come more into play. In the games I've read, the Hunter and Ranger have had minimal impact.
Actually, I believe that those roles have had more impact with the greater mutliplicity of roles. Certainly, in the first two games, they had little impact at all.

I won't be able to play again now until 23 September. If the next game doesn't start before then, then count me in. Otherwise, please feel free to go ahead without me.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 09-15-2005 at 06:53 AM. Reason: typo
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:56 AM   #1298
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I completely agree with all that you've said Saucie...

One thing I thought that might help (newbies in particular) with commitment and absences.

Once the final number of players is decided, the mod could post the start date, and calculate the approximate likely length of the game in days (minimum and maximum),so if at that point players see that they are going to have too many RL issues within the likely timeframe, they could pull out before the game starts.

(I speak from experience here, in WWVIII, I miscalculated gameplay time and found myself going on holiday in the middle of all the excitement. Luckily I was killed anyway, so it didn't affect my fellow players....)
Old 09-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #1299
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Perfect Saucy. That's basically how I wanted to play this one.

So there will be 15 players(my age actually)

3 wolves
1 ranger
1 hunter
1 seer
9 villagers

I work one night shift a week so there will be a time every week I will need someone to help me out. Alcarillo I believe volunteered and I will hold him to that.

I would like all the Days and Nights to start and end at 7pm EST. That seemed to work nicely for everyone in the last game.

Once I have 15 players I will announce when it starts. I have to go to school now but you will get more details when I get home at 3pm.

Have a nice day!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 AM   #1300
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
I would like to play this game. I think I will be a rich merchent.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:48 AM   #1301
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I would definetly like to play. I'll get back to you on my occupation.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 AM   #1302
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
[QUOTE=The Saucepan Man]
*Glares at Perky and Glirdan*

/wave

hehe. I'd like to play in the next one, if that's ok with y'all.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #1303
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

If we're onto roles, I will be a villainous outlaw and poacher, one of the Gaurwaith...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #1304
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I had asked to mod wwx. So if there aren't any who volunteered before me, looks like I'm it.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:27 AM   #1305
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I'd like to mod a game sometime in the future. I see that there are quite many other mod candidates already but add me to the list.

I'd like to play in this next game as well.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:31 AM   #1306
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
As I am getting more used to the routine here at college, I would like to join in htis next game
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:33 AM   #1307
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, I will step aside to let Wilwarin do WWX (I didnt see this page when I posted). But SpM, please, mark me down for WWXI.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:01 AM   #1308
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
Okay, I will step aside to let Wilwarin do WWX (I didnt see this page when I posted). But SpM, please, mark me down for WWXI.
Sorry Holby. I had forgotten your prior request. WWXI is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538
So there will be 15 players
With only 3 Wolves, I wonder if the numbers rather favour the Villagers. I wonder whether a reintroduction of the Cursed Villager might be in order. Then, the line-up will be identical to WWII, almost a return to basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwa
Once I have 15 players I will announce when it starts.
I won't know whether I can play 'til I know when it's going to start ...
Old 09-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #1309
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Leaf

I'm thinking, for my wife's sake, I will sit this one out. She is due to deliver anyday now so I probably should commit any spare time to that. I'll plan on playing XI though and hope it's a continuation of the basics though.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #1310
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I'd love to play again, but I won't know if I can until I know when it's going to start.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #1311
Márcolië Lamen
Wight

Márcolië Lamen has just left Hobbiton.
I feel guilty saying I'd be interested in playing if theirs room because I'm extremely new, but if there is room I would be interested.
Márcolië Lamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #1312
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Silly me! I just opened the last page and didn’t scroll down to the bottom. That’ll teach me to be so sloppy.

Quote:
no crazy roles such as the bear.
Oddly enough, it’s not the bear that bugs me. It’s more the Cobbler, which I don’t like because to my eyes it is a role designed to lose no matter what happens…but I digress.

Sign me up.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #1313
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

I would like to play in this next game.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #1314
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

*raises hand*

I'm in.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #1315
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I had some points to raise but it appears that Saucy got there before me – just as well, as he put it better than I would have.

My main complaint is the appeal to RL. We should all try to eliminate it from the game thread. If you had a ton of homework to do last night, don't tell me about it. Let me try to figure out for myself if you're being quiet deliberately or if your limited posting is due to RL. But let's keep Werewolf as a game that we can all lose ourselves in.

And if the Moderator says to stop posting, then stop posting.

Is the love for the Bear still there? I am still completely against it.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #1316
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Is the love for the Bear still there? I am still completely against it.
Meh! It's okay in my opinion. I would love to play that role but it's rather annoying to play against. I'm not overly fond of the role, as I already stated I'm looking to play in a basic game, which Wilwa will be modding but I cannot this time. I hope we continue to have a good mix of games so that everyone interested in the various roles will be satisfied.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #1317
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Does noone else like the Mythomaniac? I think it is good for situations where it is borderline whether the balance is fair....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #1318
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Does noone else like the Mythomaniac? I think it is good for situations where it is borderline whether the balance is fair....
I have to answer with a yes/no. I thought it was immensely fun to have 4 wolves, in your game but having 2 seers was a bit of an overkill. Then again the odds are they will pick an innocent villager. However, if they were to pick a hunter or ranger to become I think that would be fun and not upset the balance too much.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:44 AM   #1319
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Personally, I am on advocate of the "lay the bizarre roles on with a trowel" approach...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #1320
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wouldn't mind playing. if there's room, that is.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote